The Education Forum

Winston G. Lawson

Jim Root

A few tidbits about Winston G. Lawson

1. His Testimony before the Warren Commission begins in this unusual way:

TESTIMONY OF WINSTON G. LAWSON, ACCOMPANIED BY FRED B. SMITH, DEPUTY GENERAL COUNSEL, TREASURY DEPARTMENT

The President's Commission reconvened at 2 p.m.

Mr. McCLOY. Mr. Lawson, you know the general purpose of what we are here for?

Mr. LAWSON. Yes, sir.

Mr. McCLOY. In the way of trying to get as much information as we can, not only regarding the assassination of the President but also some background as to the steps that have been taken to protect him and as well as perhaps to take some testimony with the thought that we might be able to recommend measures that might insure future security of our Presidents. I will ask you, if you will, to rise and I will swear you. Do you solemnly swear the testimony you will give in this hearing will be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?

Mr. LAWSON. I do.

Mr. McCLOY. Go ahead.

Since I have reasons to believe that John J. McCloy may have been a conspirator I find it opportune that McCloy chaired the testimony of Winston Lawson, the man who designed the motorcade route.

2. During the Korean War Winston Lawson was trained in Counter Intelligence and interviewed Korean and Chineese POW's prior to their exchange near the end of hostilities in Korea. Edwin Walker was placed in charge of this program by Maxwell Taylor near the end of the Korean War.

3. Winston Lawson applied to the Secrete Service more than once beginning in 1956. He was accepted in October of 1959, the same month that Lee Harvey Oswald defected to the Soviet Union.

4. Lawson was transfered to Washington DC in March of 1961 and was soon after assigned to the Presidential security detail. This coincides with John J. McCloy's beginning dissolutionment with JFK over nuclear arms talks.

5. I understand he is still alive and living in West Virginia.

Speculation, perhaps.

Comments, please.

Jim Root

Since I have reasons to believe that John J. McCloy may have been a conspirator I find it opportune that McCloy chaired the testimony of Winston Lawson, the man who designed the motorcade route.

Comments, please.

Jim Root

Lawson gave a fairly detailed interview on video which was shown on C-Span (I think in 2003). Unfortunately I did not record it. Lawson had some interesting things to say about Forrest Sorrels' role in planning the motorcade route. As I recall, the interview is part of the Sixth Floor Museum's oral history project. It would be interesting to see a transcript of that interview. I remember watching that interview and coming away with the thought that Sorrels was the prime mover in deciding the route. FWIW, this was Gerald Posner's conclusion also.

Here is a link to Vince Palamara's discussion in Chapter Four of SURVIVORS GUILT.

http://www.assassinationresearch.com/v4n1/v4n1chapter04.pdf

Comments, please.

Jim Root

Lawson gave a fairly detailed interview on video which was shown on C-Span (I think in 2003). Unfortunately I did not record it. Lawson had some interesting things to say about Forrest Sorrels' role in planning the motorcade route. As I recall, the interview is part of the Sixth Floor Museum's oral history project. It would be interesting to see a transcript of that interview. I remember watching that interview and coming away with the thought that Sorrels was the prime mover in deciding the route. FWIW, this was Gerald Posner's conclusion also.

Here is a link to Vince Palamara's discussion in Chapter Four of SURVIVORS GUILT.

http://www.assassinationresearch.com/v4n1/v4n1chapter04.pdf

Thanks Raymond for the post on "Survivors Guilt". It goes into great detail about the S.S and what was done and by who. I havent finished it yet, but hope to shortly. Very good book to read if you are interested in the parts played by the S.S on the trip to Dallas and the motorcade. thanks -smitty