The Education Forum

Who's left?

O'k with the passing of Ford,who is left alive that served on the Warren Commission.

Seems to me we should be getting to the end of people. Specter is the only one of the

main players I can think of that is left.

O'k with the passing of Ford,who is left alive that served on the Warren Commission.

Seems to me we should be getting to the end of people. Specter is the only one of the

Ford was indeed the last surviving member of the Warren Commission. I'm sure that a number of staff lawyers, etc. are still around, as they tended to be younger.

Ford was indeed the last surviving member of the Warren Commission. I'm sure that a number of staff lawyers, etc. are still around, as they tended to be younger.

The most interesting one left is Norman Redlich. In 1963 J. Lee Rankin appointed Redlich as his special assistant on the Warren Commission. Gerald Ford provided J. Edgar Hoover with information about the activities of staff members of the commission. Hoover ordered that Redlich's past should be investigated. He discovered that Redlich was on the Emergency Civil Liberties Committee, an organization considered by Hoover to have been set-up to "defend the cases of Communist lawbreakers". Redlich had also been critical of the activities of the House Committee on Un-American Activities.

This information was leaked to a group of right-wing politicians. On 5th May, 1964, Ralph F. Beermann, a Republican Party congressman, made a speech claiming that Redlich was associated with the Fair Play for Cuba Committee. Beermann called for Redlich to be removed as a staff member of the Warren Commission. He was supported by Karl E. Mundt who said: "We want a report from the Commission which Americans will accept as factual, which will put to rest all the ugly rumors now in circulation and which the world will believe. Who but the most gullible would believe any report if it were written in part by persons with Communist connections?"

Gerald Ford joined in the attack and at one closed-door session of the Warren Commission he called for Redlich to be dismissed. However, Earl Warren and J. Lee Rankin both supported him and he retained his job.

In 1975 Redlich became Dean of New York University School of Law. He also served as Chair of the American Bar Association's Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar (1989 to 1990). Redlich is presently a member of the House of Delegates of the American Bar Association.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKredlich.htm