The Education Forum

SINATRA ON KENNEDY

The attached image first came to my attention when perusing the "Architectural Digest" cover story of the sale of Frank Sinatra's last Palm Springs estate.

Whenever I come across a published photo of a library, I try to identify the visible titles. In so doing with this shot, I noted that Sinatra's shoes were resting on the cover of a coffee table book.

After some manipulation, I discovered that directly beneath the heels was a portrait of JFK as it appeared on what I've identified as a Time-Life special issue of assassination coverage.

Make no mistake: Sinatra left nothing to chance. The message was intentional as it is to this day savage.

It is also worth noting that the room in question originally was constructed to serve as the president's bedroom during what would become his famous aborted stay at the Springs estate.

Charles

Edited by Charles Drago

After some manipulation, I discovered that directly beneath the heels was a portrait of JFK as it appeared on what I've identified as a Time-Life special issue of assassination coverage.

If you photographed me right now you would see part of the same Time-Life special sticking out from a pile of coffee-table-sized books directly to my left.

Make no mistake: Sinatra left nothing to chance. The message was intentional as it is to this day savage.

Where I come from it is considered good manners to present evidence BEFORE you accuse anyone of murder.

It is also worth noting that the room in question originally was constructed to serve as the president's bedroom during what would become his famous aborted stay at the Springs estate.

Charles

If this is supposed to constitute a motive for murder, then all I can do is quote an English friend of mine: "Pull the other one mate, it's got bells on!"

Mr. Carroll,

To quote an English friend of mine: Don't get your knickers in a knot.

Who on God's green earth is accusing anyone of murder?

I'm pointing out a staged gesture of contempt by a man for his former, murdered friend.

Three deep breaths, please.

Charles

Mr. Carroll,

What a refreshingly original response.

I'm pointing out a staged gesture of contempt by a man for his former, murdered friend.

Charles

And presumably my copy of the same Time-Life issue, which happens to be in roughly the same location relative to me as Sinatra's copy is to him, is also "a staged gesture of contempt" for JFK?

Since my use of English patois seems lost on Mr. Drago, let me phrase it in plain United States: I don't know who you think you are kidding, Mr. Drago, but you are not kidding me.

And you weren't kidding me with your comments on the Mary Ferrell thread you started not too long ago, with its limpid insinuation that something sinister may be afoot at the maryferrell.org website. The Maryferrell.org website is the best thing that has ever happened to JFK assassination research. It brings the National archives to everyone in the world with internet access and its search capabilities are beyond the wildest dreams of those who, along with Mary Ferrell, were the pioneers of assassination research. Why anyone would try to cast a shadow over Mary Ferrell's legacy of continuous inquiry is something I cannot even begin to fathom.

The attached image first came to my attention when perusing the "Architectural Digest" cover story of the sale of Frank Sinatra's last Palm Springs estate.

Whenever I come across a published photo of a library, I try to identify the visible titles. In so doing with this shot, I noted that Sinatra's shoes were resting on the cover of a coffee table book.

Charles

Charles,

It was a little too dark and hazy for me to make out the magazine cover, but I'll take your word for it.

Frank knew what he was doing.

Mr. Carroll,

What a refreshingly original response.

Charles

And presumably my copy of the same Time-Life issue, which happens to be in roughly the same location relative to me as Sinatra's copy is to him, is also "a staged gesture of contempt" for JFK?

Since my use of English patois seems lost on Mr. Drago, let me phrase it in plain United States: I don't know who you think you are kidding, Mr. Drago, but you are not kidding me.

And you weren't kidding me with your comments on the Mary Ferrell thread you started not too long ago, with its limpid insinuation that something sinister may be afoot at the maryferrell.org website. The Maryferrell.org website is the best thing that has ever happened to JFK assassination research. It brings the National archives to everyone in the world with internet access and its search capabilities are beyond the wildest dreams of those who, along with Mary Ferrell, were the pioneers of assassination research. Why anyone would try to cast a shadow over Mary Ferrell's legacy of continuous inquiry is something I cannot even begin to fathom.

Mr. Carroll,

While I am loathe to dignify your comments with further response, you leave me no choice but to clarify the record in regards to Mary Ferrell and the organization that bears her name.

Mary was my dear friend. She extended innumerable courtesies to me at nearly a dozen conferences, and when she welcomed me to what can only be described as her legendary salons, Mary took on the added roles of mentor and benefactor.

In raising questions about the deeper motives of Ferrell Foundation "angel" Oliver Curme -- and in demanding to know the whereabouts and condition of Mary's physical archives -- I neither pass judgment on the value of MFF offerings in their current forms, nor imply the slightest negative criticism of Mary's decision to endow that organization.

When I last spoke with Mary -- who took my call while in hospital, just a few weeks before she passed -- our conversation was characterized by humor, thoughtfulness, respect, and ultimately love. A day does not go by when my heart is not lifted by her living memory.

To permit the Mary Ferrell Foundation to continue to obscure its origins and remain silent on the status of its physical holdings would be to violate everything for which my friend Mary stood as champion.

Your ignorance, sir, of these and other matters is of zero concern to me. But I shall not permit you or anyone else to slander her memory and/or our enduring friendship.

Charles

Edited by Charles Drago

Charles Drago

Very well put !

I see that J. Raymond has re continued his nonsensical and ridiculously venomous posts.

Frankly I can't imagine who would be interested in anything that is on his coffee table !

Charles Black

But I shall not permit you or anyone else to slander her [Mary Ferrell's] memory....

Charles

I recall that back around 1991 you announced at a Third Decade conference that you had ambitions to write a novel about the JFK assassination. Is the story about me slandering Mary's memory something you made up to put in your novel, or did you make it up for some other reason?

But I shall not permit you or anyone else to slander her [Mary Ferrell's] memory....

Charles

I recall that back around 1991 you announced at a Third Decade conference that you had ambitions to write a novel about the JFK assassination. Is the story about me slandering Mary's memory something you made up to put in your novel, or did you make it up for some other reason?

Yawn.

It is worth noting that the room in question originally was constructed to serve as the president's bedroom during what would become his famous aborted stay at the Springs estate.

Charles

It is also worth noting that this is something Mr. Drago simply made up, if we can judge by the caption meant to accompany the photo of Sinatra in his library. The caption on Architectural Digest's website reads :

QUOTE ON: Sinatra in one of his guest rooms.

Sinatra, who was a voracious reader, sits in the Kennedy room. The guest room, where the senator stayed for two days in 1960 during a campaign visit to California, was later converted into a library, but a plaque commemorating Kennedy’s visit remained. QUOTE OFF

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/homes/h...01?showall=true

(Click on the photo of the spa)

It is worth noting that the room in question originally was constructed to serve as the president's bedroom during what would become his famous aborted stay at the Springs estate.

Charles

It is also worth noting that this is something Mr. Drago simply made up, if we can judge by the caption meant to accompany the photo of Sinatra in his library. The caption on Architectural Digest's website reads :

QUOTE ON: Sinatra in one of his guest rooms.

Sinatra, who was a voracious reader, sits in the Kennedy room. The guest room, where the senator stayed for two days in 1960 during a campaign visit to California, was later converted into a library, but a plaque commemorating Kennedy’s visit remained. QUOTE OFF

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/homes/h...01?showall=true

(Click on the photo of the spa)

Yawn.

Strike "constructed," add "renovated".

But if, old man (there's that pesky English patois again ... I think), you're calling me a xxxx, have the guts to say so, and put your pounds where your mouth is.

I suggest you use currency; coins would cause a blockage.

Edited by Charles Drago

Charles

Interesting observation.

It would be in character for Sinatra.

What issue/date magazine is it Charles? Can you please give specifics. Any idea what the text on the cover says?

Good Afternoon, Myra,

You will find the story in the December, 1998 issue. I own a copy, and within its pages I've inserted a catalog from the late, lamented President's Box Bookshop in which the coffee table book in question is offered for sale. I can't put my hands on the material right now, so I'm relying on memory when I write that it's a Time-Life production.

Of course I also relied on memory when I mistakenly described the history of the library. I guess even the best establishment intel operatives can mess up every now and then.

The magazine story headline and photo credits: "Inside the Legendary Performer’s Palm Springs Compound" Photography by Mary E. Nichols and John Bryson.

Go to: www.architecturaldigest.com and type sinatra palm springs in the search box.

If you can get your hands on a copy of the original, you can EASILY see that Frank's heel is right on the face of JFK as it appears in an oval frame.

I gotta tell you, I'm so glad that I started this thread. Originally it was for a lark. But now that it has drawn at least one bull goose looney out of the brushes, who knows what other benefits may accrue.

Charles

Edited by Charles Drago