The Education Forum

Anyone who can decipher the short hand on Fritz;s report?

Guest Bart Kamp

55 minutes ago, Bart Kamp said:

I cannot even upload the third page due to the upload restrictions......?

Bart, either delete some of your images from another thread or upload the new images to a site (like dropbox) and use the public link feature.

I'm definitely not an expert in this field, (or any other, for that matter) - but the markups on the pages along with the symbols/letters look a lot like a stenographer's shorthand and not Fritz's notes.  It looks like a document in the process of being finalized and the stenographer is making structural notes as well as some notations of actual script, some in cursive notation and some of which are not decipherable (for reasons unknown) unless you are familiar with shorthand.  Hopefully someone with more knowledge may be able to decipher if it is, or is not.

A little context would prove helpful. This is an early draft of Fritz's report from 12-23, correct? Where was this found? On the UNT site? Are there other early drafts at that site?

I don't see any shorthand. Just standard editing marks.

The P with two lines means "new paragraph." (Though the P is supposed to be written backward.) The carat symbol ^ means "insert here." A tipped over S means that the order of two words is supposed to be reversed.

That the "new paragraph" mark is written backward probably indicates that an amateur did the editing.

More:

image-copyediting-marks.jpg

Edited by Sandy Larsen

55 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I don't see any shorthand. Just standard editing marks.

Sandy,

You're somewhat correct, there are both kinds of marks on this page, editing and shorthand. The crossed out "scratch" in the middle of the page and in the right margin is shorthand. It looks like the longhand writing in the left margin is indicated to replace the shorthand. There are editing marks such as paragraph markers and some other symbols elsewhere in the document.

1 hour ago, Chris Newton said:

Sandy,

You're somewhat correct, there are both kinds of marks on this page, editing and shorthand. The crossed out "scratch" in the middle of the page and in the right margin is shorthand. It looks like the longhand writing in the left margin is indicated to replace the shorthand. There are editing marks such as paragraph markers and some other symbols elsewhere in the document.

Oh yeah, I see it now. I'm surprised a person who knows shorthand would write an editing mark backward. (Maybe it was two people using the same pen.)

It seems to me that the longhand you mention would be the English "translation" of the shorthand.

Edited by Sandy Larsen