The Education Forum

Reclaiming History and HBO Films/Playtone

John Simkin

Article on MovieWeb:

http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/10/22810.php

HBO Films and Playtone have acquired Vincent Bugliosi's recent epic book "Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy", which debunks conspiracy theories to establish that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone when he shot the President on Nov. 22, 1963, it was announced today by Colin Callender, president, HBO Films. Playtone's Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman will executive produce the ten-part miniseries with Bill Paxton, the star of the HBO series Big Love, which Playtone produces in association with HBO.

"We are delighted that Tom, Gary and Bill brought this amazing project to HBO," said Callender. "The successful creative partnership we have enjoyed with them over the years imbues us with a confidence, an excitement and the knowledge that Bugliosi's riveting book will make a very powerful transition to the screen."

Bugliosi's impressive 1612-page story, a New York Times best seller that the Los Angeles Times called "a book for the ages," emphatically refutes conspiracy theorists with rich detail about the events that led Lee Harvey Oswald to kill the President. He is also the author of the award-winning true crime book Helter Skelter, which detailed his prosecution of the Charles Manson murders and inspired two made-for-TV movies.

"I'm really excited to be working with people of the immense stature of Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman and Bill Paxton," says Bugliosi. "Seventy-five percent of the American public believes in the falsehood that there was a conspiracy in the assassination of President Kennedy, and only 19 percent accept the findings of the Warren Commission that Oswald acted alone. Working with Playtone and HBO, I'm confident that we can reverse those numbers and finally bring the truth to the American public."

The project found its way to Playtone and HBO through the efforts of actor Bill Paxton, a native Texan who brought the recently published book to Hanks and Goetzman, his producers on HBO's Big Love. A native Texan, Paxton was a child when he accompanied his 11-year-old brother and father to an appearance that President Kennedy made in Paxton's hometown of Fort Worth on Nov. 22, 1963 before moving on to visit Dallas.

"This is the greatest story that's never been told," says Paxton. "Based on the facts and evidence that Vincent Bugliosi so masterfully presents, it's a story that has haunted me and my generation our whole lives. On a personal note, I saw President Kennedy the morning of that fateful day when he spoke in Fort Worth. I was eight and a half years old. Now, with the 50th anniversaries of President Kennedy's inaugural address and assassination looming in the next few years, we felt it was the right time to pursue this project."

Tom Hanks (executive producer) has an impressive list of producer credits along with his massive list of acting credentials. He has produced such films as Cast Away, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, The Polar Express, The Ant Bully and HBO Films' Starter for Ten. His TV producing credits include the award-winning HBO miniseries HBO Films and Playtone have acquired Vincent Bugliosi's recent epic book Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy, which debunks conspiracy theories to establish that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone when he shot the President on Nov. 22, 1963, it was announced today by Colin Callender, president, HBO Films. Playtone's Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman will executive produce the ten-part miniseries with Bill Paxton, the star of the HBO series Big Love, which Playtone produces in association with HBO.

"We are delighted that Tom, Gary and Bill brought this amazing project to HBO," said Callender. "The successful creative partnership we have enjoyed with them over the years imbues us with a confidence, an excitement and the knowledge that Bugliosi's riveting book will make a very powerful transition to the screen."

Bugliosi's impressive 1612-page story, a New York Times best seller that the Los Angeles Times called "a book for the ages," emphatically refutes conspiracy theorists with rich detail about the events that led Lee Harvey Oswald to kill the President. He is also the author of the award-winning true crime book Helter Skelter, which detailed his prosecution of the Charles Manson murders and inspired two made-for-TV movies.

"I'm really excited to be working with people of the immense stature of Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman and Bill Paxton," says Bugliosi. "Seventy-five percent of the American public believes in the falsehood that there was a conspiracy in the assassination of President Kennedy, and only 19 percent accept the findings of the Warren Commission that Oswald acted alone. Working with Playtone and HBO, I'm confident that we can reverse those numbers and finally bring the truth to the American public."

The project found its way to Playtone and HBO through the efforts of actor Bill Paxton, a native Texan who brought the recently published book to Hanks and Goetzman, his producers on HBO's Big Love. A native Texan, Paxton was a child when he accompanied his 11-year-old brother and father to an appearance that President Kennedy made in Paxton's hometown of Fort Worth on Nov. 22, 1963 before moving on to visit Dallas.

"This is the greatest story that's never been told," says Paxton. "Based on the facts and evidence that Vincent Bugliosi so masterfully presents, it's a story that has haunted me and my generation our whole lives. On a personal note, I saw President Kennedy the morning of that fateful day when he spoke in Fort Worth. I was eight and a half years old. Now, with the 50th anniversaries of President Kennedy's inaugural address and assassination looming in the next few years, we felt it was the right time to pursue this project."

Tom Hanks (executive producer) has an impressive list of producer credits along with his massive list of acting credentials. He has produced such films as "Cast Away", "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", "\The Polar Express, The Ant Bully and HBO Films' Starter for Ten. His TV producing credits include the award-winning HBO miniseries HBO Films and Playtone have acquired Vincent Bugliosi's recent epic book Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy, which debunks conspiracy theories to establish that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone when he shot the President on Nov. 22, 1963, it was announced today by Colin Callender, president, HBO Films. Playtone's Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman will executive produce the ten-part miniseries with Bill Paxton, the star of the HBO series Big Love, which Playtone produces in association with HBO.

Tom Hanks (executive producer) has an impressive list of producer credits along with his massive list of acting credentials. He has produced such films as Cast Away, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, The Polar Express, The Ant Bully and HBO Films' Starter for Ten. His TV producing credits include the award-winning HBO miniseries From the Earth to the Moon and Band of Brothers, and the current HBO series Big Love. As an actor, Hanks has been Oscar-nominated five times and won twice, for Philadelphia and Forrest Gump. His feature film acting credits also include The Da Vinci Code, The Polar Express, The Terminal, The Ladykillers, Catch Me If You Can, Road to Perdition, Cast Away, The Green Mile, both Toy Story films, You've Got Mail, Saving Private Ryan, That Thing You Do!, Apollo 13, Sleepless in Seattle and A League of Their Own.

Gary Goetzman's (executive producer) producing credits include The Polar Express, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Beloved, That Thing You Do!, The Ant Bully, the Academy Award-winning The Silence of the Lambs, Philadelphia, Devil in a Blue Dress, Miami Blues, Amos and Andrew, Storefront Hitchcock, Magnificent Desolation (filmed in 3D, Imax), Neil Young: Heart of Gold, Stop Making Sense, HBO Films' Starter for Ten and HBO's Emmy and Golden Globe-winning miniseries Band of Brothers. He also currently executive produces the HBO series Big Love. Hanks and Goetzman are currently producing Charlie Wilson's War, Where the Wild Things Are, The Great Buck Howard, City of Ember and Mamma Mia!, as well as two HBO Films miniseries: John Adams and The Pacific, with Steven Spielberg.

Bill Paxton (executive producer) has earned Golden Globe nominations for the HBO productions Big Love and A Bright Shining Lie. He also has starred in such films as A Simple Plan, Mighty Joe Young, Twister, Apollo 13 and Tombstone, among others. Paxton directed the 2005 feature film The Greatest Game Ever Played, a golf drama based on the true story of the 1913 U.S. Open, and Frailty, in which he also starred.

Vincent Bugliosi (author) is the acclaimed prosecutor who convicted Charles Manson in the Tate-LaBianca murders, a case that later served as the basis for his best-selling book Helter Skelter, the biggest-selling true crime book in publishing history. Like Helter Skelter, his books And The Sea Will Tell and Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O.J. Simpson Got Away with Murder reached #1 on the New York Times best seller list. Among Bugliosi's other books are The Betrayal of America: How the Supreme Court Undermined the Constitution and Chose Our President and Till Death Us Do Part: A True Murder Mystery. Bugliosi received his law degree in 1964 from UCLA Law School. ln his career as a prosecutor for the Los Angeles District Attorney's office, he lost just one of the 106 felony jury trials he prosecuted, including 21 consecutive murder convictions.

America eats its heroes.

This over-hyped propaganda movie will inevitably invite a backlash -- and

that all needs be pointed out is that Bugliosi is a big fat xxxx.

In none of his pages does he address the obvious physical evidence,

the bullet holes in JFK's clothes, contrary to his claims of thoroughness.

The Prosecutor is a xxxx.

LDS Mormons?

http://www.schoolofabraham.com/currentevents.htm

Part of the LDS analysis of JFK

"By all accounts he was witty and humorous, teasing and bright. He was not an intellectual but he was quick, and one can see from his writings and the testimony of his friends about his conversation that he had a talent for focus: He could see the point and get to it. There is no evidence that he ever read or gave any thought to political philosophy. Having fun and enjoying life were important to him. His friends attribute this to his ill health; he wasn't sure he'd be here long. Maybe they are right, and maybe it is also true he just liked having a good time. He was an attractive and athletic man; he cared how he looked. He was the first big league politician to use ManTan, the sunless tanner of the 1950s; he thought it made him look vigorous and windblown. He was well tailored and cared about the cut of his suits and the style of his collars. He loved gossip;..."

Scroll down to: Become a Junior Secret Service Agent!

http://www.nps.gov/archive/eise/secret4.htm

and visit their online shop for "Kill for the CIA" T shirts, and other goodies.

more on "Tom Hanks and Vin Bugliosi what do they have in common?":

Funny coincidence, the theme song for 'Biglove' is a Beach Boys* song.

(*Whatever happened to 'Surf's up' and "Landlocked" left over uncredited material from the "Surf's Up" master tapes? How influencial was Manson? Bugliosi and his Manson trial fame to Cultist Propaganda. The circle comes around to where it started? Or just meaningless coincidences?)

"Victor Kempner served as production designer for both "That Thing You Do!" "(a Tom Hanks Movie about a beach boys 'sound alike' band) "and Stone's "JFK." Kempner recently told Entertainment Weekly that "Tom is the antithesis of Oliver in his outlook." "

The year "Saving Private Ryan" was released the Oscars was a strange affair where it took place in a lecture room format and an old person connected to the blacklistings of the 50's received a controversial lifetime award. Spielberg and other notables deliberately showed their contempt and didn't applaud. (I don't know whether Hanks applauded or not.)

(Some people see a "Forrest Gump" and the founder of the KKK connection. There were complaints about "Saving Ryan" and the total absence of black soldiers.)

("Saving Private Ryan" is interesting to JFK assassiantion as it shows a sequence at the end a rapid sniper rifle-bolt operation.)

It's probably all benign. It's just business with wierd coincidences.

At the same time Reagan was a FBI informant in the 50's-60's.

Method acting:

"Konstantin Stanislavski, .. emigrated to America and established The American Laboratory Theatre. (His) teachings are best defined in the following quotes: The more an actor has observed and known, the greater his experience the clearer his perception of the inner and outer circumstances of the life in his play and in his part. This work is not done by the intellect alone but by all your creative forces, all the elements of your inner creative state on the stage together with your real life in the sense of the play. Therefore, to follow the teachings of Stanislavski it is necessary for the actor to totally immerse himself, body, soul and mind, in the part that he is playing."

"Joseph Papirofsky American theatrical producer and director, founder of the New York Shakespeare Festival and the Public Theatre. He was a major innovative force in the American theatre in the second half of the 20th century. Papp studied acting and directing at the Actor's Laboratory Theatre in Hollywood from 1946 to 1948"

NYT: "The creators of "Big Love," Mark V. Olsen and Will Scheffer (who along with the actor Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman are the executive producers of the series), ..Mr. Olsen said. He and Mr. Scheffer are partners in real life."

Will Scheffer...one of the members of the Joseph Papp Public Theater...

All in the "Family"?

"Smith returned to prominence in the 1960s, seemingly appearing from ‘nowhere’ with Elmer Gantry (1960) and How the West Was Won (1962). It is possible that his low profile during the 1950s was related to the blacklist. William Wyler had recently been directing Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday for Paramount (filmed in the summer of 1952). They were keen to work together again and, after considering a number of projects, they eventually co-produced Big Country in 1958. They shared similar liberal democrat politics and, along with others such as Humphrey Bogart and Danny Kaye, Peck and Wyler had been founding members of the Committee for the First Amendment, the organization which hoped to combat the anti-communist witch-hunt in Hollywood and the blacklist. Peck was particularly outspoken when his Jewish friend John Garfield was blacklisted—Garfield had been Peck’s inspiration for his role in Gentleman’s Agreement, the 1947 cinematic assault on anti-Semitism. Peck himself was ‘investigated’ by California’s State Committee for Un-American Activities, who brought up his membership ofsupposed communist front organisations (including the Actor’s Laboratory, the China Conferences Arrangements Committee, Committee for a Democratic Eastern Policy and the Progressive Citizens of America), but he was cleared by State Senator Hugh Burns and was never called to answer before McCarthy."

IOW, the grouping, or persons with connection to, implicated by some as likely suspects in the asssassination of JFK are going to make a series 'reclaining history'.... hmmmm?

Thank God for Bill Paxon and that this project is on.

Just what we need, Ten Consecutive Weeks on TV,

long enough to keep it in the public mind and

remind them about the still sealed records.

And everytime there's something in the media about this show

is an opportunity to respond in kind.

This will keep the media wars going for at least another year.

BK

Cliff wrote:

Cliff, with all due respect, VB is neither big nor fat and I think it may be unfair to call him a xxxx.

At one point in his book he accuses Mark Lane if I recall correctly of ignoring evidence thast goes against his theory. Certainly VB does that as well. But if he fails to address an issue, that certainly does not make him a xxxx.

I have a good point about an item he does, I believe, ignore. He discusses the Jack Ruby polygraph but he completely ignores the strong criticism of it by the HSCA panel of polygraph experts who, as I recall, found indicia of deceptiveness in at least one of Ruby's denials of participation in a conspiracy--obviously a very important point.

BUT--while your exact words about the holes in JFK's clothing are literally true--they are not in fact discussed on any page of the book itself, VB DOES have a short answer in his Endnotes on the aCD accompanying the book. Here is what he says about the holes in the clothing:

"A point that conspiracy theorists have raised over and over in their books is that the entrance holes in the president's coat and shirt were more than 2 inches lower in the back than the actual entrance wound in his body. But even if there wasn't an explanation for this, so what?

"Like virtually all criticisms by...conspiracy theorists, it doesn't "go anywhere." The typical critic just points out the discrepancy and then moves on. But the discrepancy would only mean something if one were able to thereby conclude that the president was shot twice in the back, once where we know the entrance wound in the back was, and once below that where the holes in the coat and shirt were.

"But one can't conclude this because there is no evidence of a second entrance wound to the president's back, and no evidence of any holes to the back of the president's coat and shirt other than one to the coat and one to the shirt." -- VB; Page 241 of "RH" Endnotes

One may certainly disagree with his response but he did at least "touch on" that issue.

Article on MovieWeb:

http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/10/22810.php

HBO Films and Playtone have acquired Vincent Bugliosi's recent epic book "Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy", which debunks conspiracy theories to establish that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone when he shot the President on Nov. 22, 1963, it was announced today by Colin Callender, president, HBO Films. Playtone's Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman will executive produce the ten-part miniseries with Bill Paxton, the star of the HBO series Big Love, which Playtone produces in association with HBO.....

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111796639...yid=14&cs=1

"...Bugliosi's deal was made by PMA Literary's Peter Miller."

More than one option

More than one option

More than one option

More than one option

Date in print: Thurs., Jun. 7, 2007, Los Angeles

Peter Miller, New York literary agent, from Margate, New Jersey, is the son of the leader of the house band at Skinny D'Amato's 500 Club in Atlantic City.

Just an interesting tidbit I thought I'd throw out there.

BK

BK

I am embarrassed to say Bill Paxton is from Fort Worth. I always

figured he was one of the GOOD guys.

Jack

I am embarrassed to say Bill Paxton is from Fort Worth. I always figured he was one of the GOOD guys.

What I find strange about this story is that a few months ago Bill Paxton approached a JFK researcher about the possibility of making a television series that attacked the "lone-gun" theory. Is it possible that when the CIA discovered that Paxton intended making this series that they arranged for him to be made an offer he could not refuse?

Cliff wrote:

Cliff, with all due respect, VB is neither big nor fat and I think it may be unfair to call him a xxxx.

At one point in his book he accuses Mark Lane if I recall correctly of ignoring evidence thast goes against his theory. Certainly VB does that as well. But if he fails to address an issue, that certainly does not make him a xxxx.

I have a good point about an item he does, I believe, ignore. He discusses the Jack Ruby polygraph but he completely ignores the strong criticism of it by the HSCA panel of polygraph experts who, as I recall, found indicia of deceptiveness in at least one of Ruby's denials of participation in a conspiracy--obviously a very important point.

BUT--while your exact words about the holes in JFK's clothing are literally true--they are not in fact discussed on any page of the book itself, VB DOES have a short answer in his Endnotes on the aCD accompanying the book. Here is what he says about the holes in the clothing:

"A point that conspiracy theorists have raised over and over in their books is that the entrance holes in the president's coat and shirt were more than 2 inches lower in the back than the actual entrance wound in his body. But even if there wasn't an explanation for this, so what?

"Like virtually all criticisms by...conspiracy theorists, it doesn't "go anywhere." The typical critic just points out the discrepancy and then moves on. But the discrepancy would only mean something if one were able to thereby conclude that the president was shot twice in the back, once where we know the entrance wound in the back was, and once below that where the holes in the coat and shirt were.

"But one can't conclude this because there is no evidence of a second entrance wound to the president's back, and no evidence of any holes to the back of the president's coat and shirt other than one to the coat and one to the shirt." -- VB; Page 241 of "RH" Endnotes

One may certainly disagree with his response but he did at least "touch on" that issue.

"and no evidence of any holes to the back of the president's coat and shirt other than one to the coat"

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/humes.htm

Commander HUMES - Yes, sir. This exhibit is a grey suit coat stated to have been worn by the President on the day of his death. Situated to the right of the midline high in the back portion of the coat is a defect, one margin of which is semicircular.

Situated above it just below the collar is an additional defect

Mr. SPECTER - How about the upper one of the collar you have described, does that go all the way through?

Commander HUMES - Yes, sir; it goes all the way through. It is not--wait a minute, excuse me it is not so clearly a puncture wound as the one below.

Mr. SPECTER - Does the upper one go all the way through in the same course?

Commander HUMES - No.

Mr. SPECTER - Through the inner side as it went through the outer side?

Commander HUMES - No, in an irregular fashion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well! Since there were in effect two separate and distinctive bullet holes through the rear of the coat of JFK, then I would think that even my "first year law" student/son could easily throw that one back at Mr. "B".

Tom

P.S. For those not aware, the "coat collar" bullet hole was as a result of the third shot impact down in front of James Altgens.

Cliff wrote:

Since Bugliosi acknowledged the problem with the clothing holes

in his CD, how does he justify describing his BOOK as exhaustive

when he knows that his BOOK does not address the single most

important piece of physical evidence in the case?

If you want me to refine the point, okay -- Vince Bugliosi is a skinny Big xxxx!

Did Mark Lane claim to cover every angle of the case, as Bugliosi does?

It's Bugliosi's claim of thoroughness that makes a xxxx of him.

BUT--while your exact words about the holes in JFK's clothing are literally true--they are not in fact discussed on any page of the book itself, VB DOES have a short answer in his Endnotes on the aCD accompanying the book.

So a most important piece of evidence in any forensic investigation, the victim's

clothing, is relegated to the back pages of endnotes on the accompanying CD.

That should tell you a lot about his confidence in dealing with this issue.

Here is what he says about the holes in the clothing:

"The physical evidence doesn't match my claims -- so what?"

So the holes in the clothes match the T3 wound cited in the Death Certificate,

the autopsy face sheet diagram, the FBI autopsy report, the sworn testimony

of a half-dozen Federal agents, and the statements of over a half-dozen medical

witnesses.

At T3 the wound is too low to allow any possibility of the Single Bullet Theory.

Bugliosi practices mendacity when he claims his book is thorough and then

relegates inconvenient physical evidence to the back pages of end-notes

that aren't even in the book.

"Like virtually all criticisms by...conspiracy theorists, it doesn't "go anywhere." The typical critic just points out the discrepancy and then moves on.

This "typical critic" is a fictional construct of Bugliosi's. The holes in the

clothes are the most important pieces of evidence in the mountain of

evidence outlined above.

But the discrepancy would only mean something if one were able to thereby conclude that the president was shot twice in the back, once where we know the entrance wound in the back was, and once below that where the holes in the coat and shirt were.

"But one can't conclude this because there is no evidence of a second entrance wound to the president's back, and no evidence of any holes to the back of the president's coat and shirt other than one to the coat and one to the shirt." -- VB; Page 241 of "RH" Endnotes[/i]

The intellectual dishonesty always gets thick around this subject.

Bugliosi doesn't attempt to establish "where we know the entrance in the

back was," he just assumes the SBT is true and proceeds to rationalize his

circular logic.

Rather than address the issue, he uses it to attack "typical critics."

Typical LN xxxx, Bugliosi.

Not in the BOOK.

No where in the BOOK.

And he doesn't address the issue in his CD -- he fobs it off as "so what?"

Of course, there are "CT" Parlor Gamers around here who pull the same

disingenuous move...

Edited by Cliff Varnell

Cliff wrote:

"It is Bugliosi's claim of thoroughness that makes a xxxx out of him."

And the reason why he is a xxxx is because he discusses the clothing evidence in his footnotes and not in the text of the book itself?

Oh, come on!

VB MAY be a xxxx--I'm still reviewing his book--but he certainly cannot be branded a "xxxx" based on the facts you present, Cliff.

Obviously a "thorough" book is going to be lengthy, as RH is. I guess he could have made it into two volumes and published the "End Notes" in Volume 2 and not on a CD. What is it that makes him a xxxx? That his "take" on the clothing evidence is on a CD and not on a paper page?

Now I tend to agree with you that the clothing evidence is important enough that it should have been discussed in the text itself. But the fact that VB delegated his discussion to his "End Notes" does not make him a xxxx.

Cliff wrote:

"It is Bugliosi's claim of thoroughness that makes a xxxx out of him."

And the reason why he is a xxxx is because he discusses the clothing evidence in his footnotes and not in the text of the book itself?

Oh, come on!

VB MAY be a xxxx--I'm still reviewing his book--but he certainly cannot be branded a "xxxx" based on the facts you present, Cliff.

When you're done, tell me what he wrote about the evidence

of the T3 back wound.

If he ignores or mischaracterizes that evidence, then he's lying when he claims

to have thoroughly addressed the case for conspiracy.

If you buy this bait and switch, let me know when you're in the

market for bridges...

BK

Bill,

I share you sentiments to a point.

But keep in mind that Bugliosi, Posner, and their ilk are weapons aimed at history -- which is to say, at future generations who are most likely going to gain their appreciations of history from sources that bear the imprimatur of mainstream respectability.

Remember that it is the imprimatur of the mother state alone that supports the LN lie. Absent such sponsorship, that absurd concoction would not have endured for 44 seconds, let alone 44 years.

So let's not kid ourselves about the nature of the game. Our generation is a lost cause in terms of JFK/MLK/RFK/Iraq, etc. etc. etc. But who gives a flying how's-your-father what we know?

Our common demographic is ... beside the point.

Fear for our children, and theirs, and theirs.

And so our mission is clear.

Charles

Edited by Charles Drago

Bill,

I respect you a great deal, but must disagree with you strongly on this.

The vast majority of people aren't interested in politics at all. They have a vague notion that it's all corrupt, and who they vote for doesn't really matter. However, getting most of them to pay any attention to an issue like this has always been difficult. They do, however, LOVE television and trust it implicitly. If they understand that one of their beloved icons, Tom Hanks, is involved, then they will not question it at all, no matter how illogical and/or well produced it is. I think that your idea about responding to this miniseries is great in theory, but in reality we all know how accessible television networks have always been to "conspiracy theorists." Certainly, a premium channel like HBO would be even worse, I'd imagine. The very fact that they are doing this ridiculous project should tell us a lot about the people who run HBO.

Anyhow, I'd love to see "fair and equal time" to respond to these many hours of lies (and yes, I agree completely with Cliff- Bugliosi is definitely a xxxx), but the question is; what network is going to give that response time? There will be many threads on this forum, and others, taking the program apart piece by piece, as well as long, well documented articles on the internet. There will probably be future books that expose it for the travesty it is. However, until an honest television network arises somewhere, those well reasoned, thoroughly footnoted counter arguments aren't going to reach a wide audience. The sad fact is, most people think that what they see on television is accurate, and they believe it. To the extent that they care at all about this subject, they will accept the Bugliosi/Hanks version of events.

But keep in mind that Bugliosi, Posner, and their ilk are weapons aimed at history -- which is to say, at future generations who are most likely going to take gain their appreciations of history from sources that bear the imprimatur of mainstream respectability.

"History is the set of questions that we in the present ask of the past." Ken Burns, documentary filmmaker.

It is entirely possible that future generations will gain their appreciations of history from internet sources. One can only guess what the future will bring, but perhaps history will be filed and catalogued not in dust jacketed books or HBO documentaries, but in YouTube style segments. We may be reading books directly from our television screen or iPod style device.

Ken Burns told Keith Olbermann tonight that he made his latest documentary on WWII because veterans were passing away at the rate of 1000 per day and that an alarmingly high percentage of high school seniors thought American and Germany fought on the same side.

The Kennedy Assassination is not that much different. Time is taking its inexorable toll on people that were adults when President Kennedy was murdered and many of the next generations know about the subject mainly because of Oliver Stone's movie.

In my opinion, it's a little early to make pronouncements on what the effects of HBO's adaptation of Reclaiming History will be on the viewing public. Spike Lee made an award winning and scathing documentary on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and for the most part it had little impact.

I tend to agree with Bill Kelly that publicity from this proposed HBO series in whatever form it takes is better than no publicity at all.

________________________________________________________________________________

Coming to PBS on September 23, 2007

The War

A Ken Burns Film

THE WAR, a seven-part series directed and produced by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick, tells the story of the Second World War through the personal accounts of a handful of men and women from four quintessentially American towns. The series explores the most intimate human dimensions of the greatest cataclysm in history — a worldwide catastrophe that touched the lives of every family on every street in every town in America — and demonstrates that in extraordinary times, there are no ordinary lives.

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/?campaign=pbshom...film_2007-09-20

This promises to be a stirring and gripping series. I wish Burns would produce a documentary on the covert history of the United States. That would be worth watching.