The Education Forum

Guy Banister

Guy Banister has been mentioned several times on this forum. I think he deserves his own thread.

In 1934, Banister joined the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Originally based in Indianapolis, he later moved to New York City where he was involved in the investigation of the American Communist Party. Hoover was impressed by Banister's work and in 1938 he was promoted to run the FBI unit in Butte, Montana. He also served in Oklahoma City, Minneapolis and Chicago before he retired from the FBI in 1954.

Banister moved to Louisiana and in January 1955 became Assistant Superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department where he was given the task of investigating organized crime and corruption within the police force. It later emerged that he was also involved in looking at the role that left-wing political activists were playing in the struggle for black civil rights in New Orleans.

Banister developed extreme right-wing views and worked as an investigator for the Louisiana Un-American Activities Committee. He also published the racist Louisiana Intelligence Digest. Banister had a deep hatred of the civil rights movement and believed that the policy of racial integration was part of a a plan formulated by Joseph Stalin to create racial conflict in America.

Banister claimed that members of the American Communist Party were involved in a plot to contaminate crops in the United States. He also told the Special Committee of the Arkansas State Legislature that left-wing activists were behind the race riots in Little Rock.

Banister was suspended by the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) for an incident with a gun in a bar. His suspension ended in June 1954, but when he refused to be transferred to the NOPD's Planning Department, he was dismissed from the force. After leaving the New Orleans Police Department he established his own private detective agency, Guy Banister Associates.

In 1963 Banister and David Ferrie began working for the lawyer G. Wray Gill and his client, Carlos Marcello. This involved attempts to block Marcello's deportation to Guatemala.

On 9th August, 1963, Oswald distributed leaflets that supported Fidel Castro and his government in Cuba. On these leaflets was the address 544 Camp Street, New Orleans. This was also the office of Carlos Bringuier, an anti-Castro exile. Around the corner from 544 Camp Street, located in the same building, was 531 Lafayette Street, which housed the detective agency run by Banister. This raised suspicions that Oswald had been involved in a right-wing conspiracy to kill Kennedy.

On the afternoon of 22nd November, 1963, Banister and Jack Martin went drinking together. On their return to Banister's office the two men got involved in a dispute about a missing file. Banister became so angry that he he drew his Magnum revolver and hit Martin with it several times. Martin was so badly injured that he had to be detained in the local Charily Hospital.

Over the next few days Martin told friends that Banister and David Ferrie had been involved in the assassination of JFK. According to Martin, Ferrie was the getaway man whose job it was to fly the assassin out of Texas. He also claimed that Ferrie knew Oswald from their days in the New Orleans Civil Air Patrol and had given him lessons on how to use a rifle with a telescopic sight.

On 25th November, Martin was contacted by the FBI. He told them that he thought Ferrie had hypnotized Oswald into assassinating JFK. The FBI considered Martin's evidence unreliable and decided not to investigate Banister and Ferrie.

This information eventually reached Jim Garrison, the district attorney of New Orleans. He interviewed Martin about these accusations. Martin claimed that during the summer of 1963 Banister and David Ferrie were involved in something very sinister with a group of Cuban exiles.

Garrison now became convinced that a group of right-wing activists, including Banister, David Ferrie Carlos Bringuier and Clay Shaw, were involved in a conspiracy with the CIA to kill JFK. Garrison claimed this was in retaliation for his attempts to obtain a peace settlement in both Cuba and Vietnam.

Delphine Roberts worked for Banister and later became his mistress. Roberts told Anthony Summers that during the summer of 1963 Lee Harvey Oswald worked for Banister. She said she was in the office when Banister suggested that Oswald should establish a local Fair Play for Cuba Committee. This story was supported by her daughter who met Oswald during this period.

Guy Banister died of coronary thrombosis on June 6, 1964.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKbannister.htm

Namebase entry for Guy Banister:

http://www.namebase.org/main4/W-Guy-Banister.html

Anson,R. They've Killed the President! 1975 (301)

Davis,J. Mafia Kingfish. 1989 (146-7)

DiEugenio,J. Destiny Betrayed. 1992 (27, 38-43, 122, 130-2)

DiEugenio,J. Pease,L. The Assassinations. 2003 (29-32, 231)

Duffy,J. Ricci,V. The Assassination of John F. Kennedy. 1992 (53-4)

EIR. Dope, Inc. 1992 (469, 475, 481-2, 623)

Fensterwald,B. Coincidence or Conspiracy? 1977 (225-7)

Furiati,C. ZR Rifle. 1994 (71-4, 137)

Garrison,J. On the Trail of the Assassins. 1988

Giancana,S.& C. Double Cross. 1992 (211, 255, 294, 332-3)

Groden,R. Livingstone,H. High Treason. 1990 (144, 154, 171, 186, 288-9, 309)

Hepburn,J. Farewell America. 1968 (324, 335, 340, 360)

Hinckle,W. Turner,W. The Fish is Red. 1981 (203-8, 229)

LaFontaine,R.& M. Oswald Talked. 1996 (148-50, 166, 174, 178, 181-3, 342)

Lobster Magazine (Britain) 2001-#42 (35)

Marrs,J. Crossfire. 1990 (99-100, 148, 235-8, 494, 497, 503, 559)

Melanson,P. Spy Saga. 1990 (33-6, 40)

Morrow,R. First Hand Knowledge. 1992

Newman,J. Oswald and the CIA. 1995 (289-90, 308-9)

O'Toole,G. The Private Sector. 1978 (125)

Parenti,M. Dirty Truths. 1996 (165)

Penthouse 1981-10 (81-2, 180)

Piper,M.C. Final Judgment. 1993 (129, 192-3)

Playboy 1992-02 (78, 145, 147)

Russell,D. The Man Who Knew Too Much. 1992 (293, 394-9)

Scheim,D. Contract on America. 1988 (40, 42)

Scott,P.D. Crime and Coverup. 1977 (66)

Scott,P.D. Deep Politics. 1993 (86-90, 265)

Scott,P.D... The Assassinations: Dallas and Beyond. 1976 (278, 282-5)

Stich,R. Defrauding America. 1994 (439)

Summers,A. Conspiracy. 1981 (316, 319-26, 496, 508)

Summers,A. Conspiracy. 1989 (489)

Summers,A. Official and Confidential. 1993 (322-5)

Swearingen,M.W. FBI Secrets. 1995 (175)

Thomas,K. Keith,J. The Octopus. 1996 (44, 73)

Turner,W. Hoover's FBI. 1993 (305)

Turner,W. Power on the Right. 1971 (72, 95-7)

Turner,W. Rearview Mirror. 2001 (132, 135-6, 148-51, 153-4, 200, 294)

Vankin,J. Conspiracies, Cover-ups, and Crimes. 1991 (12, 107, 112)

John: A couple of questions aout your article, inserted.

Guy Banister has been mentioned several times on this forum. I think he deserves his own thread.

In 1934, Banister joined the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Originally based in Indianapolis, he later moved to New York City where he was involved in the investigation of the American Communist Party. Hoover was impressed by Banister's work and in 1938 he was promoted to run the FBI unit in Butte, Montana. He also served in Oklahoma City, Minneapolis and Chicago before he retired from the FBI in 1954.

Banister moved to Louisiana and in January 1955 became Assistant Superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department where he was given the task of investigating organized crime and corruption within the police force. It later emerged that he was also involved in looking at the role that left-wing political activists were playing in the struggle for black civil rights in New Orleans.

Banister developed extreme right-wing views and worked as an investigator for the Louisiana Un-American Activities Committee. He also published the racist Louisiana Intelligence Digest. Banister had a deep hatred of the civil rights movement and believed that the policy of racial integration was part of a a plan formulated by Joseph Stalin to create racial conflict in America.

I have never been able to find a primary source for Banister as publisher of any Louisiana Intelligence Digest. But I do find him as a publisher of the West Bank Herald, just as bad. Any primary source on the LI Digest?

Banister claimed that members of the American Communist Party were involved in a plot to contaminate crops in the United States. He also told the Special Committee of the Arkansas State Legislature that left-wing activists were behind the race riots in Little Rock.

Banister was suspended by the New Orleans Police Department (NOPD) for an incident with a gun in a bar. His suspension ended in June 1954, but when he refused to be transferred to the NOPD's Planning Department, he was dismissed from the force. After leaving the New Orleans Police Department he established his own private detective agency, Guy Banister Associates.

In 1963 Banister and David Ferrie began working for the lawyer G. Wray Gill and his client, Carlos Marcello. This involved attempts to block Marcello's deportation to Guatemala.

On 9th August, 1963, Oswald distributed leaflets that supported Fidel Castro and his government in Cuba. On these leaflets was the address 544 Camp Street, New Orleans. This was also the office of Carlos Bringuier, an anti-Castro exile. Around the corner from 544 Camp Street, located in the same building, was 531 Lafayette Street, which housed the detective agency run by Banister. This raised suspicions that Oswald had been involved in a right-wing conspiracy to kill Kennedy.

On the afternoon of 22nd November, 1963, Banister and Jack Martin went drinking together. On their return to Banister's office the two men got involved in a dispute about a missing file. Banister became so angry that he he drew his Magnum revolver and hit Martin with it several times. Martin was so badly injured that he had to be detained in the local Charily Hospital.

Over the next few days Martin told friends that Banister and David Ferrie had been involved in the assassination of JFK.

I have looked deeply into Jack S. Martin's 1963 statements, and I can find no mention by him of Banister in relation to the assassination. Again, do you have a source on this?

According to Martin, Ferrie was the getaway man whose job it was to fly the assassin out of Texas. He also claimed that Ferrie knew Oswald from their days in the New Orleans Civil Air Patrol and had given him lessons on how to use a rifle with a telescopic sight.

On 25th November, Martin was contacted by the FBI. He told them that he thought Ferrie had hypnotized Oswald into assassinating JFK. The FBI considered Martin's evidence unreliable and decided not to investigate Banister and Ferrie.

This information eventually reached Jim Garrison, the district attorney of New Orleans. He interviewed Martin about these accusations. Martin claimed that during the summer of 1963 Banister and David Ferrie were involved in something very sinister with a group of Cuban exiles.

Garrison now became convinced that a group of right-wing activists, including Banister, David Ferrie Carlos Bringuier and Clay Shaw, were involved in a conspiracy with the CIA  to kill JFK. Garrison claimed this was in retaliation for his attempts to obtain a peace settlement in both Cuba and Vietnam.

Delphine Roberts worked for Banister and later became his mistress. Roberts told Anthony Summers that during the summer of 1963 Lee Harvey Oswald worked for Banister. She said she was in the office when Banister suggested that Oswald should establish a local Fair Play for Cuba Committee. This story was supported by her daughter who met Oswald during this period.

Details of Martin's statement appears in Jim Garrison, On the Trail of the Assassins (page 7) and Bernard Fensterwald, Assassination of JFK (page 227) Garrison says it was New Orleans Police Report item K-126-34-63. Fensterwald agrees and adds FBI File 89-69, New Orleans Office and Warren Commission Document 75.

Banister and the Louisiana Intelligence Digest appears in Anthony Summers, The Kennedy Conspiracy (page 226) and Michael Benson's Who's Who in the JFK Assassination (page 28). Unfortunately both books do not provide details of where they got this information from.

For some reason, I'm unable to quote your post, John!

In NOPD report K-126-34-63, Martin relates the pistol whipping by Banister, but does not mention him in connection with the assassination or Oswald.

In FBI file 89-69, Martin does not connect Banister with either the assassination or Oswald. Further, Martin's 1963 statements to both the Secret Service and NO District Attorney's office likewise do not implicate Banister in any way.

This appears to be an inaccuracy that has crept its way into the literature. However, Martin was alleging a relationship between Banister and Oswald by late 1966.

Again, I have found no information on Banister and the Louisiana Intelligence Digest, but Jerry Shinley has turned up a lot of info about the West Bank Herald. I'll check with Jerry on this one.

Thanks!

I am one of those (like Stephen?) who finds it difficult to imagine that Guy Bannister had any connection to the JFK assassination. The statements by Delphine Roberts and her daughter, made so many many years later, have very very little credibility. Of course even if they were true, all these statements would do is connect Bannister with Lee Oswald, which is not quite the same thing as connecting Bannister to the assassination.

Harold Weisberg did some first investigation into Bannister. According to Weisberg's book Oswald In New ORleans (P.339) Bannister had not paid the rent on his office since Sept/Oct 1963. His health was probably not the best by this time and he died in June of 1964, with the rent still in arrears.

I expect that when the killers of JFK are finally identified we will see that none of them was short of money in the period just before and just after the assassination.

I am one of those (like Stephen?) who finds it difficult to imagine that Guy Bannister had any connection to the JFK assassination.

An appropriate question mark. I didn't mean to give the impression that he was uninvolved, or that Martin did not EVENTUALLY start making allgeations about Banister (he did, in 1966), just that he did not do so in 1963. That seems to be a way of trying to relate the pistol whipping to Ferrie and the assassination.

Unlike Ferrie, who was fiercely anti-communist, not a JFK fan but otherwise generally liberal (some will argue vociferously against this!), Banister was decidedly right wing on all things. But as you note, the evidence against him is very slim.

The statements by Delphine Roberts and her daughter, made so many many years later, have very very little credibility. Of course even if they were true, all these statements would do is connect Bannister with Lee Oswald, which is not quite the same thing as connecting Bannister to the assassination.

A point well-taken. And Delphine, despite her closeness to Banister, would make a shaky witness, IMO.

Harold Weisberg did some first investigation into Bannister. According to Weisberg's book Oswald In New ORleans (P.339) Bannister had not paid the rent on his office since Sept/Oct 1963. His health was probably not the best by this time and he died in June of 1964, with the rent still in arrears.

I don't know why someone has not undertaken a fullscale biography of Banister. There are plenty of documents, and many of his old associates are still alive. One guy I spoke with about Ferrie absolutley rhapsodized about "the Chief". One of the weirdest things: There were one or two break-ins at Banister's office in 1963, from Mancuso's!

I expect that when the killers of JFK are finally identified we will see that none of them was short of money in the period just before and just after the assassination.

HMMMMM. Ferrie had just come into about 7k from Gill and 1600. from Eastern Air Lines - unless..........

• 8 months later...

Does anyone know if Banister was autopsied?

I have never been able to find a primary source for Banister as publisher of any Louisiana Intelligence Digest. But I do find him as a publisher of the West Bank Herald, just as bad. Any primary source on the LI Digest?

I believe that Gus Russo in his bibliography to "Live by the Sword" cites the first issue of Louisiana Intelligence Digest.

Stephen Roy Posted Jul 14 2005, 08:19 PM

For some reason, I'm unable to quote your post, John!

In NOPD report K-126-34-63, Martin relates the pistol whipping by Banister, but does not mention him in connection with the assassination or Oswald.

In FBI file 89-69, Martin does not connect Banister with either the assassination or Oswald. Further, Martin's 1963 statements to both the Secret Service and NO District Attorney's office likewise do not implicate Banister in any way.

This appears to be an inaccuracy that has crept its way into the literature. However, Martin was alleging a relationship between Banister and Oswald by late 1966.

Again, I have found no information on Banister and the Louisiana Intelligence Digest, but Jerry Shinley has turned up a lot of info about the West Bank Herald. I'll check with Jerry on this one.

Thanks!

Like so many records in this case, I suspect the ones mentioned above have also been sanitized.

Does anyone know if Banister was autopsied?

The 6/8/64 police report (Wilson/Hayward) on Banister's death notes that Coroner Chetta "arrived on the scene at 8:00pm and pronounced Mr. Banister dead at 8:02pm." and adds that "the body was transported to the City Morgue in the Coroner's wagon."

A 6/13/64 Supplementary Report adds that the NOPD was "notified by the Coroner's Office that the death of the above mentioned subject had been classified as a Natural Death. This case is closed and it is being carried on our files as a Natural Death which is in accordance with the classification of the Coroner."

Over the next few days Martin told friends that Banister and David Ferrie had been involved in the assassination of JFK. According to Martin, Ferrie was the getaway man whose job it was to fly the assassin out of Texas. He also claimed that Ferrie knew Oswald from their days in the New Orleans Civil Air Patrol and had given him lessons on how to use a rifle with a telescopic sight.

Garrison now became convinced that a group of right-wing activists, including Banister, David Ferrie Carlos Bringuier and Clay Shaw, were involved in a conspiracy with the CIA to kill JFK. Garrison claimed this was in retaliation for his attempts to obtain a peace settlement in both Cuba and Vietnam.

I remember reading somewhere that their was one building with two entrances. The entrances were 544 Camp Street and 531 Lafayette Street, however, within that building there was no direct communication between the parts that could be accessed through 554 Camp Street and the parts that could be accessed

through 531 Lafayette Street. Can anybody confirm whether this is true or false?

I remember reading somewhere that there was one building with two entrances. The entrances were 544 Camp Street and 531 Lafayette Street, however, within that building there was no direct communication between the parts that could be accessed through 544 Camp Street and the parts that could be accessed

through 531 Lafayette Street. Can anybody confirm whether this is true or false?

Building owner Sam Mike Newman testified to HSCA that the second floor could only be accessed via the Camp St. entrance.

However, Martin Shackelford reports information from Judyth Baker that the second floor could also be reached from a pull-down ladder in Banister's first-floor office. I have been unable to confirm this, but there WAS a pull-down fire escape on the exterior of the building that could get one from Lafayette to the union office on the second floor.

In a sense, it doesn't matter. Oswald DID choose to use that address, for reasons unknown. The Cuban Revolutionary Council had been out of that building for 18 months, but Guy Banister did have an office in the building. David Ferrie was not a Banister employee, but he did work with Banister on several cases, and could be found in that building at times.

One more interesting note: Sometime in 1963 and prior to the assassination, Banister's office had been broken into once or twice by someone cutting through the wall from the adjacent Mancuso Cafe.

Edited by Stephen Roy