The Education Forum

The Phil Ochs Question

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I didn't know about all these back doors... amazing how much has been ignored and forgotten and this was from 64.

thanks

Thanks Bernice I just read the account of officer Mooney who said the power to the Book Depository building was cut off before the elevator hit the 2nd floor. They also had to order search lights to see in the dark.

This was right after he told a "civilian" to not let anyone in or out of the back door shipping dock.

BILL HERE IS A LINK TO THE BOOK.

http://tiny.cc/vcf2e

e

your wecome jim, yes the fire dept took in search ights up to the 6th floor, all they had were single bulbs hanging from the ceiling at that time...also you might be interested in this info, there were 4 separate doors exiting the tsbd ...take care...b

The Other Witnesses

By George and Patricia Nash

The New Leader, 12 October 1964, pages 6–9

<P class=yiv832301038yiv1869975492MsoNormal> <P class=yiv832301038yiv1869975492MsoNormal> The Report mentions that “the front door” and “the rear door” of the Depository were guarded from about six minutes after the shooting. What it omits, however, is that there were four separate “rear doors,” all of which were open and only one of which was guarded. There are two loading platforms, a customer’s door and a rail entry. No one guarding any of these doors could see any of the others. This conceivably might be relevant to a question of whether Oswald acted alone. As Shelley told us, “Any one of a thousand different people could have entered or left the building and nobody would have known it.” http://www.kenrahn.com/jfk/history/wc_period/reactions_to_warren_report/support_from_center/The_other_witnesses--Nashes.html

• 3 months later...

Wow, I didn't know about all these back doors... amazing how much has been ignored and forgotten and this was from 64.

thanks

Thanks Bernice I just read the account of officer Mooney who said the power to the Book Depository building was cut off before the elevator hit the 2nd floor. They also had to order search lights to see in the dark.

This was right after he told a "civilian" to not let anyone in or out of the back door shipping dock.

BILL HERE IS A LINK TO THE BOOK.

http://tiny.cc/vcf2e

e

your wecome jim, yes the fire dept took in search ights up to the 6th floor, all they had were single bulbs hanging from the ceiling at that time...also you might be interested in this info, there were 4 separate doors exiting the tsbd ...take care...b

The Other Witnesses

By George and Patricia Nash

The New Leader, 12 October 1964, pages 6–9

<P class=yiv832301038yiv1869975492MsoNormal> <P class=yiv832301038yiv1869975492MsoNormal> The Report mentions that "the front door" and "the rear door" of the Depository were guarded from about six minutes after the shooting. What it omits, however, is that there were four separate "rear doors," all of which were open and only one of which was guarded. There are two loading platforms, a customer's door and a rail entry. No one guarding any of these doors could see any of the others. This conceivably might be relevant to a question of whether Oswald acted alone. As Shelley told us, "Any one of a thousand different people could have entered or left the building and nobody would have known it." http://www.kenrahn.c...es--Nashes.html

Phil Ochs: The Life and Legacy of a Legendary American Folk Singer -

http://www.democracynow.org/seo/2011/1/6/phil_ochs_the_life_and_legacy

JUAN GONZALEZ: The legendary American folk singer PhilOchs is widely regarded as one of the world’s most influential politicalmusicians. Rising to fame in the 1960s, Ochs used his music to both chronicleand help mobilize the labor rights, civil rights and antiwar movements. Herecorded hundreds of songs that reached millions of people, including "IAin’t Marching Anymore," "Draft Dodger Rag" and "The War isOver."

In April 1976, less than a yearafter organizing a massive concert in New York’s Central Park to mark the endof the Vietnam War, Ochs took his own life. He had struggled with alcoholismand bipolar disorder that consumed his final years. He was 35 years old.

AMY GOODMAN: Well, a new documentary has just beenreleased chronicling Phil Ochs’ life. It’s called Phil Ochs: There But forFortune, premiered at New York’s IFC Center last night. This clip from thefilm features a number of speakers, including Phil Ochs. It begins with Ochs’producer, the musician and arranger Van Dyke Parks.

VAN DYKE PARKS: Thing about Phil that made himinteresting was he was totally unequivocal. He was determined, precise,literate, but already filled with rage and political purpose in his songs.

PHIL OCHS: [singing] He slowly squeezed the trigger,the bullet left his side. It struck the heart of every man when Evers fell anddied. Too many martyrs and too many dead...

DAVEVAN RONK:Topical song movement evolved out of opposition to segregation, Jim Crow, and the civil rightsmovement, in general, subsequently the Vietnam War. Without those howlinginjustices and outrages, there would have been no protest song movement.Probably there would have been no folk song movement.PHIL OCHS: [singing] And then there came theboycotts and then the Freedom Rides. And forgetting what you stood for, youtried to block the tide. Oh, the automation bosses were laughing on the side,as they watched you lose your link on the chain, on the chain, as they watchedyou lose your link on the chain.

MICHAEL OCHS: Phil would play anywhere. There were theclub things. There’d be a multi-artist thing. You’d hear about all these causesthat needed help. He would go to the South and do civil rights things.

PHIL OCHS: [singing] If you drag her muddy rivers,nameless bodies you will find. Oh, the calendar is lying when it reads thepresent time. Oh, here’s to the land you’ve torn out the heart of. Mississippi,find yourself another country to be part of.

MICHAEL OCHS: It was a great way to reach peoplethrough one’s music. Phil would actually turn down a commercial job for abenefit, because the benefit would usually reach more people.

ABBIE HOFFMAN: No matter how small a group or big thegroup, whenever anybody asked, I can never remember him turning down anybody,any benefit, any chance to sing for a cause he believed in. He really—Phil Ochswas there.

LUCIAN TRUSCOTT IV: Those guys were true believers. Thoseguys would show up, you know, for the opening of an envelope to give $10 tosome guy that was handing out crackers on the Bowery, to sing a song for thecracker-hander-outter guy.

ARTHUR GORSON: Phil went down to Hazard, Kentucky,because there was a miners’ strike.

PHIL OCHS: [singing] Well, some people think thatunions are too strong, union leaders should go back where they belong.

ARTHUR GORSON: We got to sleep in bathtubs, so that whenthey came and shot up the rooms at night, you wouldn’t have bullets bouncingoff. And it was cool.

PHIL OCHS: [singing] Well, mining is a hazard inHazard, Kentucky, and if you ain’t mining there, you’re awful lucky, because ifyou don’t get silicosis or a pay that’s just atrocious, you’ll be screaming fora union that will care.

ARTHUR GORSON: There was sort of a very kind ofpractical moral politics that had to do with a sincere feeling that peopleshould be treated equally.

PHIL OCHS: [singing] But if you want to get togetherand fight, good buddy, that’s what I want to hear.

AMYGOODMAN: Anexcerpt of Phil Ochs: There But for Fortune.This next clip of the film addresses Phil Ochs’ involvement in the movementagainst the Vietnam War, featuring two of his most famous songs, "IAin’t Marching Anymore" and "Love Me, I’m a Liberal."

REV. DR. MARTIN LUTHERKING, JR.: Let ussave our national honor. Stop the bombing, and stop the war.

PHIL OCHS: I mean, I’m a young man, and thegovernment wants to ask me to go over there and die, possibly, or to kill, fordoubtful reasons. And I say, nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

CORA WEISS: The whole draft was totally unjust. Richkids, college kids got out. Poor kids, black kids, poor white kids weredrafted.

PHIL OCHS: [singing] That someone’s gotta go overthere, and that someone isn’t me. So I wish you well, Sarge, give 'em hell.Kill me a thousand or so. And if you ever get a war without blood and gore,I'll be the first to go.

CORA WEISS: There was a resistance movement thatdeveloped, because people felt it was not a just war and they didn’t want tofight. And that’s what Phil sang about.

PHIL OCHS: [singing] Oh, I marched to the Battle ofNew Orleans at the end of the early British war. The young land startedgrowing, the young blood started flowing, but I ain’t a-marching anymore.

MICHAEL OCHS: The second album was I Ain’t MarchingAnymore. He’s much more confident as a singer, more confident as aguitarist.

PHIL OCHS: [singing] It’s always the old who lead usto the war, always the young to fall. Now look at all we’ve won with the saberand the gun. Tell me, is it worth it all?

MICHAEL OCHS: The Hamlet of that album is the titlesong, "I Ain’t Marching Anymore," which became the anthem of theantiwar movement.

PHIL OCHS: The war that was bound to end all wars.Oh, I must have killed a million men, and now they want me back again, but Iain’t a-marching anymore.

LUCIAN TRUSCOTT IV: The Army didn’t get us into Vietnam. AndI think Phil understood that. Politicians get you into wars, and militarypeople die. The rest of the sort of New York scene wouldn’t really talk outloud like that. He understood all those things. He was willing to say thingslike that.

PHIL OCHS: Having American community, you havevarying shades of political opinion. One of the shadiest of these is theliberals—10 degrees to the left of center in good times, 10 degrees to theright of center if it affects them personally.

[singing] I cried when they shotMedgar Evers. Tears ran down my spine. And I cried when they shot Mr. Kennedy,as though I’d lost a father of mine. But Malcolm X got what was coming. He gotwhat he asked for this time. So, love me, love me, love me, I’m a liberal. Getit?

AMYGOODMAN: Phil Ochs: There But for Fortune.The film opened at New York’s IFC Center last night here in New York, and we’rejoined by, well, the film’s director Kenneth

Bowser, and we’re joined by PhilOchs’ brother, Michael Ochs. He’s among the many people interviewed in thefilm. Others include Sean Penn and Pete Seeger, Joan Baez and Tom Hayden. AbbieHoffman is featured in the film. Jerry Rubin is in the film.

What is it like, Michael? Yourbrother—your brother, who you actually managed—

MICHAEL OCHS: Yes.

AMY GOODMAN:—not that you had any experience doingthis—seeing his life and working on this film?

MICHAEL OCHS: It’s a pleasure to see Phil alive again.It’s a pleasure to see him espousing the same causes and in a totally differentmedium. And it’s a lot of years past the time.

JUAN GONZALEZ: Ken Bowser, you’ve worked on this formany years, this film. You’ve called him the "broken heart" of themovement of his time. Could you explain what made you want to do this film andalso that assessment of him?

KENNETH BOWSER: I grew up listening to his songs. I sawhim play at a benefit. I remember he came into play at a benefit for CésarChávez, and it must have been ’70, ’71, 150 people. He had flown in from LosAngeles, and he probably lost money flying in to raise $200 or whatever it was.And I just—I loved his music. So, I just—I loved his music. I loved his work. Iloved who the man was. And he conveyed to me his love of his country, and Ihope I share that love. And so, it was all a story I wanted to tell.

AMY GOODMAN: I wanted to go back to another clip ofthis remarkable film, tracking Phil’s activism, built around his famous song"The War is Over." It features interviews with speakers—well, withPaul Krassner and with actor and director Sean Penn.

PHIL OCHS: I got involved with the Politics of theAbsurd in California, which was a theater demonstration in which we declaredthe war over in Vietnam.

PAUL KRASSNER: Realities develop out of a fantasy. Andit was a fantasy. The war is over, if you want it.

SEAN PENN: It strikes me as the sort of the thingthat comes to a witty person who’s going to sleep at night, saying, "Iknow this war is horrible, but even before it’s horrible, it’s just ridiculous.And it just doesn’t make any common human sense."

JUDY HENSKE: I said, "Phil, is that enough, tojust say—to just say—is that enough to say just the war is over?"

PHIL OCHS: [singing] I declare the war is over.

MICHAEL OCHS: LBJ was campaigning and doing a speech atCentury City. And Phil organized a "War is Over" demonstration. Andthey do it outside the hotel where Johnson’s speaking, and the cops go crazy.

JUDYHENSKE: Therewas a big riot. And it was called a police riot. And I didn’t get injured, because I hopped up on a camerathing, and so did Phil, with his sign, "The War is Over."

PHIL OCHS: You spend years fighting against the waron a moral basis. And the administration doesn’t listen at all, you know, andyou become increasingly aware that you’re not having an effect.

MICHAEL OCHS: Phil decided, let’s do it again in NewYork.

PHIL OCHS: So it’ll be a theater piece. It’s not ahippie theater piece; it’s a theater piece.

ABBIE HOFFMAN: And he ran around frantic. When he gotonto an idea, he got as manic as most of the other creative artists that youknow. And he designed posters, and he got the World War II poster of the sailorkissing the girl. We were going to make it a reality. And we all gathered inWashington Square Park, and he sang the song.

PHIL OCHS: [singing] Trust your leaders, wheremistakes are almost never made, and they’re afraid that I’m afraid, I’m afraidthe war is over. It’s over.

ABBIE HOFFMAN: About 5,000 people just went streaming upthe boulevards, hugging people, "The war is over! The war is over!"And it was quite effective, because in that moment, they had to say, well, whatwould it be like if it was over?

PAUL KRASSNER: We ran through the streets againsttraffic, so it was hard for the cops to follow us. We had noisemakers andshouting, "The war is over!" And a lot of people believed it.

PHIL OCHS: I think America has to wake up to theabsurdity that it is involved with. And I think street theater like that, youknow, is not going to end the war. I mean, none of the things have ended thewar. But I think it’s more effective theatrically in getting the absurdityacross to these people.

[singing] So do your duty, boys,and join with pride. Serve your country in her suicide. Find a flag so you canwave goodbye. But just before the end, even treason might be worth a try. Thiscountry is too young to die. I believe the war is over.

AMY GOODMAN: Phil Ochs singing "The War isOver." Ah, they hoped in 1967. But, of course, the images going across thescreen are the war in Vietnam, full-blown. I think many people thought it wasJohn Lennon and Yoko Ono who created this idea of "The war is over.Believe it, and it will happen." But it came from Phil?

KENNETH BOWSER: Well, it came from Phil. And as Michaelpointed out...

MICHAEL OCHS: Yeah, Phil told me, Allen Ginsberg cameup with the idea first. They were talking, and Phil loved the idea, so Philactually effectuated it.

AMY GOODMAN: So, there was this dream of "The Waris Over" in ’67. Then there was the—

MICHAEL OCHS: It was more than a dream. It waspolitical theater. It was the idea, if we do this, to get people to think: whatwould this be like if it really were over? And people—people bought it. I mean,people were cheering and throwing things, until they realized it was a joke.

AMY GOODMAN: So you have Vietnam. Then you have Chile,which Phil got very involved with, the U.S.-backed Pinochet regime rising topower. This clip in the film addresses Phil Ochs’ effort to inform the U.S.public on the Nixon administration’s support for the ’73 military coup inChile. Phil Ochs had previously traveled to Chile and befriended the folksinger Víctor Jara, who was slain by military forces during the coup. Philconvinced Bob Dylan to co-headline a benefit concert for Chilean refugees.

LOLA COHEN: Bob came over to the apartment, and wewere downstairs in that bunker. And Phil had Salvador Allende’s inaugurationspeech, his inaugural address. And he read it. And it was just—we were justblown away, and we were silent. And it was very—you know, very moving. And hetold us about Víctor Jara and that he had to do this to avenge Víctor’s deathfor his wife and child.

DENI FRAND: And he finally got Dylan to say that hewill probably come. And, of course, we saw that.

PHIL OCHS: Hold it. What we’re trying to do here isan experiment in aesthetics in politics, regarding [inaudible]. The mere factof you yelling more is part of the [inaudible] fan worship.

DENI FRAND: People were screaming for Dylan andscreaming for whomever. And he said, "You’re not here to [bleep] stars.You’re here to help the Chilean refugees, and you are going to learn about whathappened to this country."

ARTHURGORSON: Thatconcert was the first time that people got up in public and said that the CIA was behind the overthrow of Salvador Allende.

AMY GOODMAN: A clip of the film Phil Ochs: ThereBut for Fortune. Phil, though, as his singing was remarkable, wasdeclining. Michael, in this last minute, those last years of his life?

MICHAEL OCHS: Yes, he was having trouble writing songs,and so he became much more political by organizing more and moredemonstrations, like the Chile demonstration.

AMY GOODMAN: And talk about what happened at the youngage of 35.

MICHAEL OCHS: Basically, Phil was a manic depressive.And the manic binge he went on, probably out of desperation, frustration, etc.,he went too far, and he never got back. He became, as we do, we get depressedafterwards, and he couldn’t see the next mountain due to the valley he wasstuck in. And we tried to get him help. And he finally went to a shrink, butthen, a week later, he killed himself.

AMY GOODMAN: I was very touched last night when yousaid he told you he would commit suicide many times, and at the time youthought that meant he wouldn’t, that if you said it, you wouldn’t.

MICHAEL OCHS: Yeah, yeah. And it’s throughout thelyrics of his songs in the last two, if not three, albums. I mean, the suicidesub-theme runs throughout.

AMY GOODMAN: But it is a myth. If you say it, it hasto be taken seriously.

MICHAEL OCHS: It is a myth, yeah. If they talk aboutit, you best believe, take it seriously.

AMY GOODMAN: Well, Michael Ochs and Ken Bowser, aremarkable film. It’s called Phil Ochs: There But for Fortune. It’sopened in New York and hopefully will travel this country.

• 3 months later...

Thanks Bill,

I haven't seen the Phil Ochs movie yet and I didn't sign a release because I got the hint that my info on why he hung himself and our witnessing parts of the Coup in Texas was censored... but I hear they put me in there about the general stuff anyway.

It seems nobody knows if David Ferrie had tons of freckles, because if he did not then the Clown looking guy who pointed out George Bush SR on the Shadow Chartered Bus near Houston, could have been a fake David Ferrie. and that would not surprise me too much.

If anyone knows, please let me know, the suspense is killing me.

We'll see.

love folk, Jim

• 1 year later...

Well Bill, thanks to Judyth Baker who knew David Ferrie, he had no freckles.

Hoover knew that we knew and we were set up to be in Texas on Coup Day as part of the plan to blame it on the left.

Barbara Bush writes that on the plane back to Houston, they were praying that the killer was a left winger and not a right winger. How they knew it was supposed to be a lone nut is a good question.

So the best way to keep the confusion going was to Dan Rather me with a fake David Ferrie which is the same as quoting a forged document that is true. Maybe somehow Bill, we can get Obama to release the “sensitive” and "Human source" records because it takes a president to do that.

So on that day in Texas I saw two impersonators, the Oswald Look-a-like in the custody of two Dallas cops, the David Ferrie impersonator and the real George Bush who had another “George Bush of the CIA” set up to take the blame of being debriefed By Hoover because the truth would mean Bush could never get elected and Hoover would never let anyone disclose they were on the Shadow Bus because if Hoover went down so would LBJ.

In the meantime it is the witnesses still alive and the testimony of the dead and brave researchers to tell the story that so far the government is not allowed to get out to the people.

The War ain’t over and the War System would like it if we all died or committed suicide like Phil. Now I learn that MKultra had many more departments then giving LSD to subjects and Oswald was working as a government asset just like his mother told anyone who would listen.

I doubt his mother knew Lee was working on a cancer poison to kill Castro with parts of the CIA and their domestic contacs like the Head of the Cancer Society. The War System is on the rocks but it ain’t over yet.

http://www.facebook.com/jim.glover.5815

• 4 months later...

I wonder if he was murdered.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Good Questions.

The Photo of Bush in front of the Book Depository sure looks just like him and I found some from the Parkland Hospital that look just like him also but it is mostly from the back and just a little to the side.

Jim

Jim, if you are able to, could you post the photos of Bush at Parkland?

Kathy

I well give it a shot...

attachicon.gif002_Bush...Parkland.jpg

attachicon.gif003_BushAtParkland.jpg

Look Familiar folks?

Notice the bulge above his left shoulder....It seems the cordinators had there own frequency.

Now I could be leapin in logic here but

When I first sent them to Gary at the 6th floor museam, he said the man was too short to be Bush.

A friend of mine in Detroit calculated the height of the Police car and the curb he propbaly would be standing on and said the man was 6 feet 2" ...a match there.

Then he said it was a another guy he knew but never came up with the name.

He said he would ask George Bush for the museam What he was doin in Dallas when he told the FBI about the possible student threat to Kennedy when Bush says Please keep this confidential and I am on my way to Dallas".

I can't recall would be typical.

Jim

Jim,

Who are you talking about in the photos? The dude in the foreground? He's wearing glasses. Did Bush wear glasses in 1963?

Sincerely,

--Tommy :sun

Guest Tom Scully

Yea Jim, tell us about the Shadow Bus.

In the meantime, here's my report on Phil at DP, which I am still working on.

BK

JFKcountercoup: Phil Ochs at Dealey Plaza?

Bill, the few sources I've been able to compare these details with have resulted in no contradictions. The dates synch with the Midland City Directory data.:

Who's who in Consulting - Volume 1 - Page 72

books.google.com/books?id=ApxXAAAAMAAJ
1968 - Snippet view - More editions

DEVINE, THOMAS J. 375 Park Ave, NY NY l0022. Dec-9-26 Rochester NY. Mass Inst Tech BS 49. State Dept, Wash DC, admin asst 50-53; Midland Tex, indep oil operator 53-64. Train Cabot & Associates, NY, ltd partner 59-. Finance.

I assume you are aware the latter part of your article makes one wonder if John PC Train paid Lyndon Larouche to hone in on Train.

Do you want to get into this here? There is so little available on Devine, we must make the most of what we can find.

In 1955, Devine was an usher in the wedding of Albert Bradley Carter, Jr. and Beverly Pullman. The following year Albert's sister, Frances married Time foreign correspondent, William J. Rademaekers. One of the many other interesting members of that wedding party was Lt. James K. Donaldson. Donaldson was the nephew of Jim Thompson and the step-son of Air Force secretary and republican party operator James H. Douglas. Young Lt. James K Donaldson was a Brown Univ. grad who went to work in Peru for Willard Garvey. Donaldson died suddenly in 1959, at age 31 and a trip to Pakistan to explore housing development projects for Garvey was reported to have resulted in fatal intestinal disturbances.

C. Frank Stone III became immersed in the same pre-fab housing construction with a fellow WWII officer before the two were even discharged from military service. It had to do with conversion of WWII war surplus, aircraft assembly plants leased or purchased cheaply and converted to manufacture of pre-fab homes for the post war consumer.

One of the few other mentions I could find of Donaldson was in a wedding announcement of a Brown classmate named Handy, of the Handy and Harmon precious metals family. Handy's father headed a division of Celanese Corp. before John Larkin, a founder of the parent Celanese died in 1947. Larkin was the brother-in-law of Bob Kleberg of King Ranch. Besides Donaldson, one of the other ushers in Handy;s wedding was a name I was unfamiliar with, Hugo Koehler.

SALLY WOODBURY BRIDE IN SUBURBS; Sister Honor Maid at ...

New York Times - Dec 9, 1951

... Me., to Parker Douglas Handy, son of Mr. and Mrs. Truman Parker Handy of New York ... The ushers were James G. Woodbury, brother of the bride; Lieut. ... R. L; Hugo G.' Koehler of New York, James K.- Donaldson of Washington, Shepard ...

Hugo G. Koehler; NY businessman, kin of Sen. Pell

Providence Journal - Aug 15, 1990
Hugo Gladstone Koehler, 60, half brother of Sen. Claiborne Pell, and director of the JM Hartwell Associates of New York, died yesterday in New York. ... For many years he was manager of Train, Smith Counsel Inc. He was a graduate of St....

Peter Matthiessen's Yale roommate was supposedly the "out of the CIA loop" Thomas Guinzburg. Guinzburg was an usher in John D. Macomber's wedding. John Macomber as a McKinsey partner and consultant to Celanese, had a relationship with that company of more than 15 years when he became Celanese president in 1973. He hired Devine as comptroller and V.P. Macomber's brother William was best man in Nancy Bush;s 1946 wedding and in Devine's wedding in 1973.

16 frat brothers lived in the M.I.T. Sigma Chi house from 1944 to 1948. Two of them were Devine and Garry Coit. Over at the '68 McCarthy campaign were Larry Merthan, married to one of the two Chapowicki sisters, both long associated with the White House during JFK, LBJ, and Carter admins. Tom McCoy and Clark Clifford's young protege Finney, described as close to McCoy, were McCarthy co-ordinators.

1968 in America: Music, Politics, Chaos, Counterculture, and the ... - Google Books Result

books.google.com/books?isbn=0802193242
Charles Kaiser - 2012 - History
These rumors had picked up momentum with the arrival of two new campaign aides, Thomas Finney and Thomas McCoy, known as the “CIA twins” because of ...

John Newman pointed out that an OSS file of a woman of a similar name had been merged with the CIA file of Priscilla Johnson. The OSS file belonged to the wife of Tom McCoy, Priscilla Livingston Johnson.

Consider the links of John Macomber to William HG Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald's role as senior in the CIA heavy SMOM, and Fitzgerald's best man, Ernest Byfield Jr. who was a V.P. at Jesse "Tom" Ellington's advert agency, with longtime principle client, Celanese Corp., and there is little need to even bring up George Ohrstrom who was close to Matthiessen and Bush, and Cass Canfield and his stepson Blair Fuiller who was a Paris Review editor, or even Clement Biddle Wood, into the picture in order to have an impressive jigsaw puzzle in which some of the pieces match.

A Role In 'Tycoon For Mrs. Onassis?: Sought After A TV News Offer VIP

By Maxine Cheshire. The Washington Post 13 July 1975: 110.

JackieJessieBruceWoodSpetsai.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=iglehart+leigh-hunt&tbs=nws:1,ar:1&source=newspapers#hl=en&tbo=d&tbs=ar:1&tbm=nws&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22Bouvicr%2C+bnth+of+Washington%2C+DC%3B+Miss+B.+Perkins%2C+of+Santa*%22&oq=%22Bouvicr%2C+bnth+of+Washington%2C+DC%3B+Miss+B.+Perkins%2C+of+Santa*%22&gs_l=serp.12...92419.96638.8.97599.4.3.1.0.0.0.534.1188.2-1j0j1j1.3.0...0.0...1c.1.KpATKk9r4Js&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.eWU&fp=e617f1ef3d5ea6c3&bpcl=40096503&biw=1440&bih=723

Miss Leigh-Hunt Wed To Mr. Bruce

The Sun - Feb 25, 1951

MISS JESSIE LEIGH-HUNT, daughter of Mr. Henry Leigh Hunt, of Las Vegas, Nev., and Countess Palffy, of

Paris, France, was married yesterday to Mr. Albert Cabell Bruce, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Cabell

Bruce, of Charlcote road.

The bridesmaids wore Miss ine Bridesmaids wore Mils Helena Leigh-Hunt and Miss Alexandra Leigh-Hunt,

sisters, of the bride: Miss Mary Elizabeth Le May. Miss Jacqueline Bouvicr, bnth of Washington, DC;

Miss B. Perkins, of Santa Cal., and Mrs. S. Bonsai Jr., of this city. All wore green taffeta and car-

yellow daisies. Mr. Iredell W. Iglehart was man. The ushers were Mr B. Reeves, Mr. David Mr. J. Edward

Johnston, Mr. F. ....

JackieSpetsaiJoyce.jpg

Edited by Tom Scully

Guest Tom Scully

Bill,

Obit of Train's late partner, Cabot is posted at the bottom. The whole article is available by clicking on the linked title above what I posted. The rest is background on Cabot , his parents, and the the Merck connection. Train's father was Arthur Cheney Train. I recall checking for a link to Dick Cheney and I was satisfied that there is no close link, nothing as close as the link John Train has to the Pells and to Cokie Roberts mother, or to William Vanderbilt's brother-in-law, Kissam.

Also, Bill, the info about Devine in my last post indicated he was with Train, Cabot from the beginning, in 1959, the year

described in Francis H Cabot's 2011 obit. This may explain why, and why Devine was a director of Robert G. Stone, Jr's

Stonetex. Marion Rockefeller Stone is Stone, Jr's widow. This is the grave of Devine's grandmother.:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=102334174 (Louise Wolcott Hooker Dodge) Louise was the first

cousin of Elon Huntington Hooker, creator of Love Canal and father-in-law of John D. Rockefeller III. Thomas Devine's mother Charlotte Dodge Devine and Senator Jay Rockefeller's mother, Blanche, were 2nd cousins. Note that Jay Rockefeller is not described in the media as John D. Rockefeller IV all that frequently.

INQUIRY ON POLICE WEIGHED BY STATE; Citizens' Unit Plea...

INQUIRY ON POLICE WEIGHED BY STATE; Citizens' Unit Plea Studied -- …
- New York Times - Nov 16, 1960

in a spacious nineteenth-floor office in the Seagvam Building, 375 Park Avenue. The office Is occupied by John Train and Francis H. Cabot, financiers. They said they were not members of the committee but had donated the space out of ...

The Cabots of Boston; Family's Fortune Derived From Soot...

‎The Cabots of Boston; Family's Fortune Derived From Soot The Cabots

- New York Times - Mar 12, 1972
Total Cabot family holdings of the company were worth about $140-million when the stock ... For example, Francis H. Cabot, a New York member of the clan who

FH CABOT DEAD; FINANCIER WAS 60; Former Board Chairman of...

New York Times - Feb 5, 1956

His age was 60. . . ; was norm 'York, a son of Francis H. and Maud Bonner Cabot. ... Curries a son, Francis H., Jr. of New York; a daughter, Mary Currie Cabot of

Obituary 1 -- No Title

New York Times - Jul 7, 1965

CABOT -- Currie Mafhews, at her home in Murray Bay, Quebec, on July 6. Sister of Edward J. Mafhews. Mother of Mary Currie and Francis H. Cabot. In Heu of flowers contributions may be sent to Cancer Care, Inc., ] Park Ave., New York

http://www.nytimes.com/1986/10/13/style/currie-cabot-is-wed-to-thomas-barron.html

Published: October 13, 1986

Currie Cabot, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Francis H. Cabot of Cold Spring, N.Y., and LaMalbaie, Quebec, was married yesterday to Thomas Archibald Barron, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Archibald G. Barron of Colorado Springs. The Rev. Charles W. Sheerin, an Episcopal priest, performed the ceremony at the Chapel on Mount Murray Seigniory in LaMalbaie.

Mrs. Barron, a pianist and music improvisation teacher in New York, is an alumna of Harvard College. Her father, a horticulturist, is president of Da Capo Company Ltd., an investment concern in Cold Spring. She is a granddaughter of Linn Merck Perkins of New York and the late George W. Perkins, and the late Mr. and Mrs. F. Higginson Cabot of New York. Mr. Perkins was United States representative on the North Atlantic Treaty Organization Council with the rank of ambassador and an executive vice president of Merck & Company, the pharmaceutical concern founded by the future bride's great-grandfather, George W. Merck. Mr. Cabot was a financier.

Francis H. Cabot, 86, Extraordinary Gardener, Dies -...

New York Times - Nov 28, 2011

By MARGALIT FOX Francis H. Cabot, a financier and self-taught ... Cabot founded the Garden Conservancy, a nonprofit organization based in Cold Spring, NY, ... He became a partner at Train, Cabot & Associates, an investment and venture ..

Edited by Tom Scully