The Education Forum

Noam Chomsky needs an Intervention

The very first page of Rethinking Camelot has a reference to the Reagan emulation, in the introduction, paragraph starts with "By the late 1960s...(If I'm correct then he had yet to coin the phrase "JFK's white paper"), 

Above that is a reference to the start of protests, you can see where one might think he's talking about all protests everywhere but read it again and he's talking about his experience in Boston, this is the same thing he says in his talks about these times, he talks about what he did and when it started and what he had to do to avoid being beaten up(sort of) and if you didn't know different you would think his attempts were the first but he never actually says that. What's important is the point he is making, there was no one even critising the war against the south let alone protesting against it, not until after the attack of the north became public. Related to that, not long ago I saw this story about 5 draft card burners, well publicized, pictues of them standing together with their cards in a major city, almost beaten to death by those watching, 1965. Almost exactly the scenes Chomsky describes of his first major public protests, cops had to guard them, or else. It's probably part anti civil rights backlash but I have no idea.

Clive:

Here, read this and you will see many examples of JFK's views on America's misguided policies in the Third World from 1951-57.  

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/dodd-and-dulles-vs-kennedy-in-africa

As per Chomsky, as I showed, there were many, many anti Vietnam protests in 1964 and 1965.  And they were all over the country, including Boston.  And I am sorry, but I do not buy his idea that he somehow was not aware of them.  How could anyone miss 25,000 people in Washington with Joan Baez and Judy Collins.

Chomsky has always tried to confuse and obfuscate the dividing line between LBJ and JFK on Indochina.  But my god, when General Giap says that he knew Kennedy was withdrawing, I will take his word for it.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/general-giap-knew

Chomsky was a bit slow in his moral embarrassment about Vietnam.  In this 1969 (sic) argument with William Buckley, Chomsky took a foreign policy position, which Kennedy took in 1951 and regarding Vietnam in 1963. Chomsky was completely post festum. Why he always tried to obfuscate the dividing line between JFK and LBJ on Vietnam, I don't know, In Chomskys case it could hardly have been pure ignorance. 

Thanks for that Karl.

Did not notice that before.