The Education Forum

More from the past on BYP

9 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Not me!

And from her HSCA testimony, it is painfully obvious that Marina didn't have the slightest idea how to use the Im­perial Reflex camera that supposedly took the backyard photos.

40 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

So what? Lee told her what to do and what button to press, and she did it. No big deal.

Hogwash!  The Imperial Reflex was a view camera, meaning you had to hold it at roughly waist level and look down into the large, rectangular view finder to see the subject.  Even then, the view was an inverted mirror image. Pretty unforgettable, but Marina testified she held it up to her eye.

If I took a picture with that weird camera of my wife with a pistol and holding a rifle and commie literature, I’d remember the camera.  And so would you in a similar situation.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

Good job, Michael. Just keep ignoring what Marina herself said....

"I was very nervous that day when I took the [backyard] pictures. I can't remember how many I took, but I know I took them and that is what is important. It would be easier if I said I never took them, but that is not the truth."

David, do you think that Marina held the camera up at eye level? Or at waist level?

Just now, David Von Pein said:

Surely, David Von Pein, in your vast archive you have collected all of Marina’s changes, contradictions along with the refutations of her claims, all in one place; and you are going to share that with us here, right? Right! 

1 minute ago, David Von Pein said:
3 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

David, do you think that Marina held the camera up at eye level? Or at waist level?

Waist level (of course). She just didn't remember that detail about the camera when she was asked about it later on.

Okay. Now....

I believe that, when held upright, cameras take pictures in "landscape format." That is  to say, the developed photo will be longer horizontally than vertically.

Yet the backyard photos are all in "portrait format." So Marina must have tilted the camera by 90 degrees in order to get those photos, right?

13 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I believe that, when held upright, cameras take pictures in "landscape format." That is  to say, the developed photo will be longer horizontally than vertically.

Yet the backyard photos are all in "portrait format." So Marina must have tilted the camera by 90 degrees in order to get those photos, right?

I don't know. I've never looked into it that deeply.

Edited by David Von Pein

Just now, David Von Pein said:
14 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I don't know. I've never looked into it that deeply.

How about just using your brain to figure it out?

16 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

How about just using your brain to figure it out?

Okay, she might have tilted the camera 90 degrees. Again---no big deal. (It's only a "big deal" to conspiracy theorists who are bent on finding "conspiracy" around every corner and in every Neely Street backyard.)

The long and short of it is ----

Seeing as how Marina didn't know the first thing about how to take a picture with Lee's Imperial Reflex camera, she did whatever Lee told her to do in order to get the pictures to come out correctly. And when she was asked to recall the specific details of how she held the camera and how many photos she took, she just flat-out forgot. Yes, she did remember some of the details about the Backyard Photos session---such as the detail about how silly and "crazy" she thought Lee looked that day in his all-black outfit with his guns....

"I asked him then why he had dressed himself up like that, with the rifle and the pistol, and I thought that he had gone crazy, and he said he wanted to send that to a newspaper."

....But the details of how the camera worked and the exact number of pictures she took were things that obviously were not important enough to her at the time for her to make a mental note of such trivial things. And so, almost a year later when she was asked to recall such things, she was not able to do so. That's certainly not an unheard-of situation at all, IMO.

Edited by David Von Pein

Sandy, I think the Imperial reflex used 620 film and yielded a square negative. CE133A and CE 133B were commercial square prints. 133C is not square because the negative went missing and what we were left with were rectangular prints (taller than they are wide) made on the Dallas Police Departments enlarger (133C-Dees, and 133C-Stovall). There is also the rectangular enlargement given to de Mohrenschildt (133A-de Mohrenschildt) that was enlarged from the square negative.  

Edited by Tom Hume

15 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

Okay, she might have tilted the camera 90 degrees.

Oh My! David Von Pein, That is as rich as it gets!

And, to be sure that we preserve David Von Pein’s entire cart-load, here is his full quote:

Okay, she might have tilted the camera 90 degrees. Again---no big deal. (It's only a "big deal" to conspiracy theorists who are bent on finding "conspiracy" around every corner and in every Neely Street backyard.)

The long and short of it is ----

Seeing as how Marina didn't know the first thing about how to take a picture with Lee's Imperial Reflex camera, she did whatever Lee told her to do in order to get the pictures to come out correctly. And when she was asked to recall the specific details of how she held the camera and how many photos she took, she just flat-out forgot. Yes, she did remember some of the details about the Backyard Photos session---such as the detail about how silly and "crazy" she thought Lee looked that day in his all-black outfit with his guns....

"I asked him then why he had dressed himself up like that, with the rifle and the pistol, and I thought that he had gone crazy, and he said he wanted to send that to a newspaper."

....But the details of how the camera worked and the exact number of pictures she took were things that obviously were not important enough to her at the time for her to make a mental note of such trivial things. And so, almost a year later when she was asked to recall such things, she was not able to do so. That's certainly not an unheard-of situation at all, IMO.

Edited by Michael Clark

14 hours ago, Ray Mitcham said:

Does anybody believe anything the plagiarist Posner writes?

I do !

I have deep respect for him.

P.S. : you made a mistake : you wrote "plagiarist" instead of "researcher". Must have been the automatic spell checker...

5 minutes ago, François Carlier said:

I do !

I have deep respect for him.

P.S. : you made a mistake : you wrote "plagiarist" instead of "researcher". Must have been the automatic spell checker...

I have no doubt that your challenge to Ray will end with YOU looking for fine cuisine recipes for CROW! Perhaps it is already one of your specialties and you were thus attracted to the challenge. I wait, eagerly, to see a pic of your plate, Bud!

Edited by Michael Clark