The Education Forum

Lumpkin, Gannaway, and the DPD-Army Intelligence network

I have reported on the Gannaway relationship with convicted wiretapper Robert Denson in 1963, reprinted below.  

Denson, head of the Tri-State Private Detective Agency, was hired to work on Jack Ruby's trial defense.  Denson was working on protesters appearing with placards supporting Ruby.

This late 1964 FBI memo by Robert Barrett indicates that the Gannaway-Denson relationship was being monitored by none other than Criminal Intelligence detective Don Stringfellow (identified as DL T-23)  

Stringfellow is infamous for passing a phony report to the military during the afternoon of November 22 - so seeing Stringfellow snitching on his boss Gannaway indicates a big lack of harmony within the Special Services Bureau - because Revill was snitching on Gannaway too.  Maybe Stringfellow and Revill just wanted to get Gannaway fired - or was it more than that?

The same memo goes after assistant DA William Alexander for having custody of the Oswald diary that was leaked to LIfe Magazine - which is more understandable - it mentions how Alexander hated the FBI and was referred to by people who knew him as "a vicious nut".  Why did Jack Ruby love Alexander so much - even though he was his prosecutor?  Why did Alexander leak info about Oswald having Hosty's "home phone, office phone and car license number", and plant phony info that Oswald was an FBI informant?

I should mention that "police department number" is provided for many suspects - we should conduct a public records act request in Texas using these numbers!!

Here is an interesting FBI memo written by Robert Barrett from 3/15/63, entitled Crime Conditions in the Dallas Division.  It names Jack Revill as FBI T-1, who wants his identity confidential.  

Revill reported to Barrett that a close relationship continued between Gannaway and private detective Robert B. Denson - even though Denson had recently been convicted in the Tyler federal court for wiretapping.  

The word was that Gannaway was going to retire soon and go into the private detective business with Denson.  Denson ran the Tri-State Detective Agency.  

Denson was later hired by the Ruby defense team.  He would shoulder reporters aside and ask them not to photo him - but both he and Belli denied that he was Belli's bodyguard.

When Karen Lynn Bennett testified on 12/23/63 at a Ruby bail hearing, she was followed out the door by defense attorney Tom Howard and Denson.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Bill Simpich said:

I have reported on the Gannaway relationship with convicted wiretapper Robert Denson in 1963, reprinted below.  

This late 1964 FBI memo by Robert Barrett indicates that the Gannaway-Denson relationship was being monitored by none other than Criminal Intelligence detective Don Stringfellow (identified as DL T-23)  

Bill,

I was looking through the memo you cited and a couple of things jumped out at me:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=122178&search=stringfellow#relPageId=15&tab=page

Page 15

image.png.12fe4502a541b4837d0f9d66e193dc89.png

Captain, J. M. Solomon was the Head of the Reservists for the Dallas Police Department. I wonder if they were related.

Jack Ruby’s Accountant, Abraham Kleinman, saw Jack Ruby in Sol’s Turf Bar on November 23rd.

Page 16

image.png.9c212ae2e4334dd0b2352736904692e7.png

image.png.1d8c38ce115f064ee1178fe51e2cd07c.png

The apple didn’t fall far from the tree did it?

Steve Thomas