The Education Forum

Sparks on Elm St - Corroboration for the Mystery

I've always wondered what Mrs Donald Baker (Virgie) saw on Elm St

Mrs. BAKER. Well, after he passed us, then we heard a noise and I thought it was firecrackers, because I saw a shot or something hit the pavement.

Mr. LIEBELER. Could you tell or did you have any idea where the noise came from when you first heard it? 
Mrs. BAKER. No; I thought there were some boys standing down there where he was--where the President's car was. 
Mr. LIEBELER. Down farther on the street, you mean? 
Mrs. BAKER. Yes; close to the underpass.

Mr. LIEBELER. You say you saw something hit the street after you heard the first shot; is that right? 
Mrs. BAKER. Yes. 

Mrs. BAKER. Well, as I said, I thought it was a firecracker. It looked just like you could see the sparks from it 

BTW, she reported it to the FBI the day after on the 23rd

I've never heard of anyone corroborating Virgie's account until now;

The Sixth Floor Museum interview with Ricky Chism recounting what his mother told him;

Ricky Chism: The first shot hit the ground and ricocheted off the ground

Fagin: She actually saw sparks on the ground?

Ricky Chism: Yes, she seen the spark hit the ground

sparks-on-road-chisms-baker.png

Another interesting part of Ricky Chism's interview is that his father told him he was tackled to the ground after turned to run up the slope. The person that tackled him kept asking "where's your weapon?"

This too has corroboration;

Lem Johns of the Secret Service;

"When the shots sounded, I was looking to the right and saw a man standing and then being thrown or hit to the ground"

Early reports by radio KLIF;

There are 3 seperate reports that refer to the incident below, each report gaining more information, which I have combined into one line;

A 25 year old man, who panicked upon hearing the shots, ran, snatched up a little girl, was the man first chased by police and arrested. He fitted the earlier Police Department description of 5'10" 165lbs. He was taken to Police Headquarters.

***They initially said Field & Elm, but obviously meant Houston & Elm***

I know of no little girl snatched up by a man, but we do know that John & Faye Chism were there with 3 year old Ricky Chism

****Field & Elm was very close to the area 24 year old Oswald allegedly boarded a bus****

The Chisms were held for 12 hours

3 hours ago, Stephanie Goldberg said:

What about Royce G.  Skelton?  He testified to the WC that he saw something hit the pavement, and his statement  on the 22nd says something to the same effect.

Thanks for that, here it is;

Mr. SKELTON. After those two shots, and the car came on down closer to the triple underpass, well, there was another shot--two more shots I heard, but one of them--I saw a bullet, or I guess it was a bullet--I take for granted it was--- hit in the left front of the President's car on the cement, and when it did, the smoke carried with it

And here's another via James C. Bowles;

DPD SGT Stavis Ellis (motorcycle cop in front of Limo near underpass): Then I looked back toward the President. They had made it around the corner off Houston and were now headed west on Elm in my direction. They had passed the worst of the crowding, and were then coming more into the open, but they were moving real slowly. That's when the first shot was fired. I was looking directly at the President, and I saw the concrete burst into a cloud of dust when that bullet hit the curb

Is Agent Hickey on the Queen Mary looking down at something that struck the road?

z138---z154--Hickey-looking-down---bulle

Edited by Tony Krome

• 2 years later...
On 4/19/2019 at 10:04 AM, Tony Krome said:

Another interesting part of Ricky Chism's interview is that his father told him he was tackled to the ground after turned to run up the slope. The person that tackled him kept asking "where's your weapon?"

This too has corroboration;

Lem Johns of the Secret Service;

"When the shots sounded, I was looking to the right and saw a man standing and then being thrown or hit to the ground"

Dallas housewife Marvin Faye Chism interviewed by NYPost;

After someone said the gunman “was up on the train tracks,” John charged off to try and catch him.

“The police threw him down,” Chism said

On 4/26/2019 at 1:40 AM, Tony Krome said:

Thanks for that, here it is;

Mr. SKELTON. After those two shots, and the car came on down closer to the triple underpass, well, there was another shot--two more shots I heard, but one of them--I saw a bullet, or I guess it was a bullet--I take for granted it was--- hit in the left front of the President's car on the cement, and when it did, the smoke carried with it

And here's another via James C. Bowles;

DPD SGT Stavis Ellis (motorcycle cop in front of Limo near underpass): Then I looked back toward the President. They had made it around the corner off Houston and were now headed west on Elm in my direction. They had passed the worst of the crowding, and were then coming more into the open, but they were moving real slowly. That's when the first shot was fired. I was looking directly at the President, and I saw the concrete burst into a cloud of dust when that bullet hit the curb

Is Agent Hickey on the Queen Mary looking down at something that struck the road?

z138---z154--Hickey-looking-down---bulle

Something unusual definitely caught Hickey's attention.