The Education Forum

Stranger than the Single Bullet: LHO interview

Dallas Texas, 22 Nov. 1963.

In police custody is a young, confused 24 year old who was arrested for comitting what may very well have been one of the most significant crimes in the history of mankind. He was suspected of being a double murderer of which one of his alledged victims was the President of the United States. Available to assist the Dallas PD immediately with nearly every resource then available were: the Dallas DA, the Dallas office of the FBI, the Dallas based Secret Service and various local military intelligence detachments.

The Dallas Police felt that they had eyewitness identification of this suspect comitting both the murder of Dallas policeman J.D. Tippit and President John F. Kennedy. A rifle alledgedly belonging to him was found concealed on the sixth floor of the TSBD building where the suspect had been working that morning. It was from an open window on this floor that reported shots had been fired which appeared to have struck both the President and Texas Governor John Connely. This suspect later reportedly strenously resisted arrest in a local theatre, pulling a .38 cal. revolver which he alledgedly attempted to fire before being restrained. The suspect had been under observation for some time as a suspected Castro supporter.

He furthermore was a dishonorably discharged Marine who not only had defected to the Soviet Union, but who had publicly announced that he was willing to make available to them any classified military information which he had knowledge of. The defector two years later returned to the U.S. with a Russian wife and child. His wife had been reared by her uncle, a fairly high ranking officr in what some thought to be the KGB. As if this was not enough, our suspect engaged openly in linking himself to pro Castro organizatons.

We must realize now how absolutely important it was for the interrogation of this man to be handled in the most careful and professional manner. Available to assist were expert psychologically trained interrogators and experts in this field that could have been made available at the request of the police. It would have been possible to obtain the highest level of equipment and personnel from organizations that ranged from the FBI, appx twelve different intelligence agencies, the US Military, the JCS, the NSC, the U.S. Congress, the Dept. of Justice and up to the office of the President.

Now what you and I are called upon to believe is that with all of these assets available, that this prime suspect murderer of the most powerful man in the world was interrogated from Friday thru Sunday, without the benefit of a tape recorder which the police claimed was unavailable. Also no stenographer or court reporter. It should be obvious that a recorder could have been purchased in thirty minutes. My family had one!. If nothing else, there were dozens of media reporters all over the DPD who had sound equipped movie cameras one of which could surely been borrowed or confiscated.

Do you perhaps believe that these sessions were recorded but were subsequently hidden or destroyed because of their content. Am I to believe that SA Hosty really reported to Hoover that there were three days of interrogations but no one thought that it was important to take notes or to record them? Even from the standpoint of law enforcement, if anyone thought that this case would go to trial, do you not think that they would want proof that the invstigation was properly handled?

Many people seem to think of the year 1963 as so long ago that there was perhaps a lack of technology. Let me just mention that in the year 1963, the US had equipment so sophisticated that it was sound tracking effectively and precisely Soviet submarines at depth in all of the oceans of the world. There were fighter planes with speeds in excess of Mach II. Reconnaissance aircraft were flying across the breadth of Russia at altitudes in excess of 90,000 ft. and taking pin point photographs of hundreds of thousands of square miles of enemy territory.

Do you truly believe that this suspect's interrogations were unrecorded due to the unavailability of a cheap recording machine? Prior to this period of time, please don't forget that there were recordings of certain govt. officials in bed with movie stars.

If anyone can believe this scenario----THE SINGLE BULLET THEORY IS A SNAP. Charlie Black

Guest Stephen Turner

First class post Charles..

I belive Roger Craig blew a hole in the tall tale about there being no tape recorder. Of course they then changed course, and claimed it was decided not to record Oswald in case the interigators,by accident,infringed his rights!!! and some smart New York Lawyer got him off on a technicality. HOO-HUM.

Charlie,

Great post. I suppose it's easy to be wise after the event, but it's truly amazing that the DPD, FBI and Secret Service were allowed to get away with such behavior in the aftermath of the assassination. My favorite was D.A. Henry Wade stating on November 24 that Jack Ruby should be awarded a medal for shooting LHO. This should have resulted in his immediate dismissal from office.

It proves that the assassination was engineered domestically, does anyone really think the machinery of natural justice would be so willingly sabotaged on orders from afar ? The DPD were being fed a line and they obeyed. They couldn't have seriously been conducting an investigation that way--nobody could be that dumb. The most disturbing thing was the way the media failed to analyse the circumstances surrounding the assassination.

Excellent points Mark.

I would note that the propaganga devices were used and then fell apart upon closer scrutiny.

Oswald's Sovietism.

Oswald's Pro Castroism.

Oswald's Backyard photos.

Oswald's Attempt of General Edwin Walker.

Oswalds distance from intelligence and FBI handlers (deMorenschildt, and Hosty)

His guilt looked compelling in the context of the national tragedy but barely survived 1964 or the Johnson administration.

Thank goodness for Mark Lane and others who could recognize the problems early.

Charlie,

Great post. I suppose it's easy to be wise after the event, but it's truly amazing that the DPD, FBI and Secret Service were allowed to get away with such behavior in the aftermath of the assassination. My favorite was D.A. Henry Wade stating on November 24 that Jack Ruby should be awarded a medal for shooting LHO. This should have resulted in his immediate dismissal from office.

It proves that the assassination was engineered domestically, does anyone really  think the machinery of natural justice would be so willingly sabotaged on orders from afar ? The DPD were being fed a line and they obeyed. They couldn't have seriously been conducting an investigation that way--nobody could be that dumb. The most disturbing thing was the way the media failed to analyse the circumstances surrounding the assassination.

Edited by Shanet Clark

Mark Stapleton wrote: "My favorite was D.A. Henry Wade stating on November 24 that Jack Ruby should be awarded a medal for shooting LHO. This should have resulted in his immediate dismissal from office. "

Mark, I had not heard this before, so I googled it and discovered that this statement is attributed to Tom Howard, who became one of Ruby's lawyers. Incidentally Howard is described as a friend of Wade's.

Ray

"Do not block the way of inquiry" C.S. Peirce

Mark Stapleton wrote: "My favorite was D.A. Henry Wade stating on November 24 that Jack Ruby should be awarded a medal for shooting LHO. This should have resulted in his immediate dismissal from office. "

Mark, I had not heard this before, so I googled it and discovered that this statement is attributed to Tom Howard, who became one of Ruby's lawyers. Incidentally Howard is described as a friend of Wade's.

Ray

Ray,

I'm open to correction here but I'm almost certain I saw Henry Wade mouth the aforementioned words on a TV interview shortly after Ruby was arrested. I'm hoping Forum members will set the record straight. If I'm wrong I'm sure Tim will severely chastise me.

The most disturbing thing was the way the media failed to analyse the circumstances surrounding the assassination.

I don't think the folks in most of the media were permitted to do such a thing.

There were very FEW like Earl Golz. Back then or now.

It's one of the great ironies of this country: that it's believed there is a true "free press". Hogwash.

Only here, and we shall see how soon the powers that be start to stiffle conversation and research in this arena.

Dawn

Dawn Meredith wrote: "There were very FEW like Earl Golz. Back then or now."

Dawn, I vote that you start a separate thread on Earl Golz. I know he used to live in your hometown of Austin. If He is still alive why don't you take a tape recorder and do an interview with him. I know he published a book on the case, and perhaps you could do a detailed review of that, highlingting his overall view of the case, his major stories, and his prognostications on what history will ultimately decide.

Dawn, I am confident that you will apply your best lawyerly skills to this task, and I look forward to seeing your report.

Ray

Dawn Meredith wrote: "There were very FEW like Earl Golz. Back then or now."

Dawn, I vote that you start a separate thread on Earl Golz. I know he used to live in your hometown of Austin. If He is still alive why don't you take a tape recorder and do an interview with him. I know he published a book on the case, and perhaps you could do a detailed review of that, highlingting his overall view of the case, his major stories, and his prognostications on what history will ultimately decide.

Dawn, I am confident that you will apply your best lawyerly skills to this task, and I look forward  to seeing your report.

Ray

Earl does indeed live in Austin and I do know him, although not well. I will contact him and see what he thinks about doing an interview. I spoke with him a couple of months ago and he has a very quiet life these days. Spends a lot of time in bookstores with his wife.

If he's agreeable it shoud be a fun project.

Dawn

Ray

Ray,

I just checked and you are 100% correct--it was Tom Howard, Ruby's lawyer. All that substance abuse much be catching up with me. It appears I've done Mr. Wade a disservice. Thanks for the correction.

On May 7, 2005 Mark Stapleton wrote:

I'm open to correction here but I'm almost certain I saw Henry Wade mouth the aforementioned words on a TV interview shortly after Ruby was arrested. I'm hoping Forum members will set the record straight. If I'm wrong I'm sure Tim will severely chastise me.

Later on May 7, 2005 Mark Stapleton wrote:

Ray,

I just checked and you are 100% correct--it was Tom Howard, Ruby's lawyer. All that substance abuse much be catching up with me. It appears I've done Mr. Wade a disservice. Thanks for the correction.

Mark, we all make mistakes, particularly when we rely on our memories. Just for your edification, I do not "severely chastise you". Heck, Bernice pointed out to me that in a published newspaper article I wrote that Martin Luther King, Jr. had been assassinated in Atlanta, Georgia! I knew better than that!

Mark Stapleton wrote: "Ray, I just checked and you are 100% correct--it was Tom Howard, Ruby's lawyer. All that substance abuse must be catching up with me. It appears I've done Mr. Wade a disservice. Thanks for the correction."

Mark, It ain't the pot you smoked in college. According to Daniel Schacter's Seven Sins of Memory, you committed the "surprisingly common" sin of Misattribution, which is at the root of mistaken eyewitness identifications. Schacter suggests it may also cause the sensation known as deja vu.

At a JFK conference in Fredonia some years ago I was pontificating to a group of researchers over a few beers about a brilliant theory I had come come up with. One of my drinking companions was "Monte Evans" (a nom de plume). In the middle of my dissertation Monte interrupted to point out that this very theory had been outlined in detail in his book The Rather Narrative, and we both knew that I had bought the book from Monte himself at a previous conference. Here I was trying to sell him his own horse, so everyone had a good laugh at my expense. Ever since then I have a keen sympathy for anyone accused of plagiarism or any other form of misattribution.

Ray

Ray

Ray,

Mark:

After what Henry Wade did to Oswald's rights over the weekend of the

assassination, I don't think you did him any disservice. It was Wade who made

the presumptious remark that Oswald is the killer of the President beyond a reasonable doubt.

However, Oswald was dead at the time Wade uttered these words, and

there was going to be no trial. So what was the problem Wade thought? His words only infuriated and built a bias by the American people and the world against the alleged assassin; a man who said he was a "patsy."

I don't believe you owe DA Wade any apologies, Mark.

Bill Cheslock

Ray

Ray,

Mark:

After what Henry Wade did to Oswald's rights over the weekend of the

assassination, I don't think you did him any disservice. It was Wade who made

the presumptious remark that Oswald is the killer of the President beyond a reasonable doubt.

However, Oswald was dead at the time Wade uttered these words, and

there was going to be no trial. So what was the problem Wade thought? His words only infuriated and built a bias by the American people and the world against the alleged assassin; a man who said he was a "patsy."

I don't believe you owe DA Wade any apologies, Mark.

Bill Cheslock

Bill,

Yes, I agree that Wade behaved very badly in respect of his reckless comments. You'll notice I stopped short of an apology. The whole machinery of Texas justice in the aftermath of the JFK/JDT/LHO murders was reminiscent of Judge Roy Bean and the "law west of Pecos".

Mark Stapleton wrote: "Ray, I just checked and you are 100% correct--it was Tom Howard, Ruby's lawyer. All that substance abuse must be catching up with me. It appears I've done Mr. Wade a disservice. Thanks for the correction."

Mark, It ain't the pot you smoked in college. According to Daniel Schacter's Seven Sins of Memory, you committed the "surprisingly common" sin of Misattribution, which is at the root of mistaken eyewitness identifications. Schacter suggests it may also cause the sensation known as deja vu.

At a JFK conference in Fredonia some years ago I was pontificating to a group of researchers over a few beers about a brilliant theory I had come come up with. One of my drinking companions was "Monte Evans" (a nom de plume). In the middle of my dissertation Monte interrupted to point out that this very theory had been outlined in detail in his book The Rather Narrative, and we both knew that I had bought the book from Monte himself at a previous conference. Here I was trying to sell him his own horse, so everyone had a good laugh at my expense. Ever since then I have a keen sympathy for anyone accused of plagiarism or any other form of misattribution.

Ray,

Ray,

Glad we got that sorted out. I was beginning to think I was getting mad cow disease---damn those juicy steaks.

Regarding the DPD, it's a shame that the honest cops might be judged by the actions of their superiors. In fact, if anyone deserves a medal it should be someone like Roger Craig--an honest cop caught in a vortex of mendacity. How dare he stick to his original story when all have been issued with new scripts. I also have some sympathy for Patrolman Joe Smith, running to the knoll and being fobbed off by a phony SS man probably made him look a bit foolish to the public, but how was he to know? The WC never asked him about the gunpowder he smelt on the knoll either (surprise, surprise).