The Education Forum

Clinton Library Offers Peek At UFO Files

Mark Knight

Clinton Library Offers Peek at UFO Files

November 13, 2007 8:36 PM EST

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - In a move sure to provide fodder for conspiracy theorists, the Clinton Library withheld e-mails with subject lines like "X-Files" and "Area 51" from a batch of documents recently released at a UFO buff's request.

National Archives officials made several files - ranging from a White House staffer's obsession with the TV show "The X-Files" to President Clinton's push to hook up the Sci-Fi Channel at Camp David - available for viewing starting last Thursday in response to Freedom of Information requests.

Several pages, however, were withheld because they would "constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy," according to National Archives documents.

Among the released pages, 27 come from the files of former White House Chief of Staff John Podesta, a fan of "The X-Files," a show about FBI agents investigating extraterrestrials and other supernatural events. The files include articles forwarded to Podesta about the canceled Fox show.

Peter Baker, a Washington Post reporter, relied on Podesta's interest in the show to persuade him to help on a book about the White House.

"Why am I skeptical that this book constitutes an opportunity for us?" Podesta wrote in a March 24, 1999, e-mail to Baker, who eventually wrote a book about the former president's impeachment and trial.

"Because any good X-Files fan is skeptical by nature and understandably so," Baker replied the next day.

In 1995, a group called the "Project Starlight Coalition" sent President Clinton a letter asking him to declassify any documents about extraterrestrials or UFOs.

Two months later, an aide replied that he had forwarded the request for a meeting to White House staff.

"The President appreciates your interest and long-standing involvement in this issue," James A. Dorskind, a special assistant to the president, wrote to members of the coalition.

The files also include an e-mail between White House spokeswomen Patricia F. Lewis and Mary Ellen Glynn over a Hollywood Reporter question about Clinton's insistence on installing the Sci-Fi channel at the presidential retreat.

"I know we're not going to talk about it, but it's one of the better questions I've heard in a while and I wanted to share," Lewis wrote.

The records are being released in response to a slew of requests from UFO enthusiast Grant Cameron, who operates a Web site on presidential history with extraterrestrials. Cameron has several other requests pending, including one for "all files on the Kennedy assassination."

He did not immediately respond to an e-mail message seeking comment Tuesday.

---

On the Net:

Clinton Library: http://www.clintonlibrary.gov

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Tim, I simply posted the AP news item because, hidden amongst the flotsam and jetsam regarding UFO's, there was also a request that, presumably, the Clinton Library should release "all files on the Kennedy assassination."

I'm rather curious what files the Clinton Library might have on that topic, and why they might have them.

Your link to the Colby sniping match was of no interest to me, but I suppose I should thank you for bringing it to my attention anyway.

So thanks, Tim...I guess.

Tim, I simply posted the AP news item because, hidden amongst the flotsam and jetsam regarding UFO's, there was also a request that, presumably, the Clinton Library should release "all files on the Kennedy assassination."

I'm rather curious what files the Clinton Library might have on that topic, and why they might have them.

Your link to the Colby sniping match was of no interest to me, but I suppose I should thank you for bringing it to my attention anyway.

So thanks, Tim...I guess.

"I'm rather curious what files the Clinton Library might have on that topic, and why they might have them."

Who knows?

Wednesday and Thursday there was quite a bit of coverage of the Clinton/UFO issues on American tv.

Far more so than the assassination usually gets!!

Around 1993 while we were having a major COPA conference in DC, the DOD released the Bluebook files and a special report by an Army unit, a few members of which then visited the COPA conference.

A few years ago, when I began to call for Congressional Hearings on the JFK Act, the same group who recently did a gig at the National Press Club with military, FAA and other officials speaking on behalf of UFOs got total CSPAN coverage for their UFO conference, and COPA got nothing.

Then we had one COPA conference in DC and when I got there I was surprised to see TV cameras and satalite dishes set up and thought we were finally getting some coverage when it turned out they were there for another conference, the National Society of Gay and Lesbian Journalists, and George Steponapolis - Gratz can correct the spelling - was the featured speaker who got all the publicity.

Now, in still attempting to drum up interest in Congressional oversight hearings of the JFK Act, the news comming out of DC is that the UFOers want Congerssional Hearings on UFOs and the Republicans are calling for the opening of the Clinton White House files so they can rummage through Hillary's Health Commission files.

Why no interest in the fact that JFK's Daily Briefing reports are still being with held from the public? Or that the JFK Assassination Records Act still has not had oversight hearings fifteen years after it was passed? Or that the CIA still won't abide by the act and is in court to keep from doing so?

Oh, well, I guess UFOs and Hillary's dirty laundry are more important.

BK

Wednesday and Thursday there was quite a bit of coverage of the Clinton/UFO issues on American tv.

I'm sorry I missed all this. The reason people want to know about UFOs from their govt is because they want to know, deep down, if their religion is a fraud. I was brought up in the Catholic religion. If extraterrestrials exist, there goes Jesus and the Trinity. "Man was made in the image and likeness of God." I think this is all bull----. No one knows who we are, where we are, how we got here and who invented us. We don't know a damn thing. I believe in an afterlife, but that belief might be a false one. With all the molestations these priests did to little boys over the years, and the billions of dollars spent to try to rectify it, coupled with a govt admittance that ETs exist, the Catholic Church is finished in my opinion. They have been trying to make a comeback recently regarding abortion. They might as well give up. I don't think the majority of once-Catholics care about the Church's notions about anything deemed immoral. I think this is it for them. We're going to find out that ETs are on this planet and are further developed than we are (except for their looks). So what's going to happen is a mass exodus from organized religion. I just hope people don't start worshipping the aliens as their God.

I guess we're Pagans. :angel

Kathy

I'm sorry I missed all this. The reason people want to know about UFOs from their govt is because they want to know, deep down, if their religion is a fraud. I was brought up in the Catholic religion. If extraterrestrials exist, there goes Jesus and the Trinity.

Maybe Jesus left on a UFO.

BK

"Man was made in the image and likeness of God." I think this is all bull----. No one knows who we are, where we are, how we got here and who invented us. We don't know a damn thing. I believe in an afterlife, but that belief might be a false one. With all the molestations these priests did to little boys over the years, and the billions of dollars spent to try to rectify it, coupled with a govt admittance that ETs exist, the Catholic Church is finished in my opinion. They have been trying to make a comeback recently regarding abortion. They might as well give up. I don't think the majority of once-Catholics care about the Church's notions about anything deemed immoral. I think this is it for them. We're going to find out that ETs are on this planet and are further developed than we are (except for their looks). So what's going to happen is a mass exodus from organized religion. I just hope people don't start worshipping the aliens as their God.

I guess we're Pagans. :angel

Kathy

I have to say this even if it might make me seem like a cosmic parochial:

I really do not like the letter UFO on these threads. It instantly does the work of x-filers and FILES THE WHOLE FORUM AWAY FOR MILLLIONS AND MILLIONS OF PEOPLE if they are visiting this site for the first time, and see the UFO letters

baldly bleeting from a thread name, then the whole forum becomes categorized as X-Files crap.

This is not intended as an attack on UFO people; I am a passionate agnostic on the question and deeply don't care.

I just see no reason why JFK and UFO should ever be put in the same category. Admittedly it is put in that category by disinformation types, but I don't know why were going along with it.

This is of concern to me bacause I make quite a lot of effort to steer people to this site. Lets say they finally click here,

and the first thing they see is UFO...... OH NO!

Please, don't get me wrong. I am not advocationg censorship, itchy moderation or anything of that ilk. I don't even consider this a complaint. I am just asking that people think of the effects before they type these letters, that, like it or not represent instant bathwater for millions and millions and millions of citizens.

I am not anti-UFO discourse if that what you find most relevant right now.

But why here???

I know in this case Mark was just passing out a news release about the Clinton Libarary, so I am not blaming him. But WHY would the press release group the UFOs and the JFK assassination?

We older folk need to rember that the x-files generation who are now in their 20s and 30s heard of JFK assassination often in conjunction with this UFO bathwater.

ARE WE GOING TO REINFORCE THIS?

Kathleen posted"

The reason people want to know about UFOs from their govt is because they want to know, deep down, if their religion is a fraud. I was brought up in the Catholic religion. If extraterrestrials exist, there goes Jesus and the Trinity. "Man was made in the image and likeness of God." I think this is all bull----. No one knows who we are, where we are, how we got here and who invented us. We don't know a damn thing. I believe in an afterlife, but that belief might be a false one. With all the molestations these priests did to little boys over the years, and the billions of dollars spent to try to rectify it, coupled with a govt admittance that ETs exist, the Catholic Church is finished in my opinion. They have been trying to make a comeback recently regarding abortion. They might as well give up. I don't think the majority of once-Catholics care about the Church's notions about anything deemed immoral. I think this is it for them.

I am pretty much an agnostic on UFOS and ETS (after spending enough time on this Forum it is easy enough to question the existence of intelligent life on this planet) but it is a complete non sequitur to argue that should extraterrestials exist "there goes Jesus and the Trinity". I do not recall anywhere in the Bible that clearly states that life on earth is God's sole creation. I do not think there is a strong implication either that human life is unique to the universe or that it is not.

Kathleen wrote:

No one knows who we are, where we are, how we got here and who invented us. We don't know a damn thing.

Kathleen, some of us do know.

It is clear there is a God who created us and is the source of morality. If life was meaningless, there would be no morality and no reason to condemn a Catholic priest or any one else who molested a young boy or girl if it gave him or her pleasure.

Our perception of good and evil demonstates that the universe is not meaningless.

And as I previously posted I personally heard from God or an angel who saved my life.

Many here believe JFK was killed for economic reasons (by members of the MIC to continue the war machine or by Texas oil barons to prevent the elimination of the oil depletion allowance).

If there is no God and no meaning to the Universe, can anyone be condemned for killing the POTUS (or anyone else for that matter) if it furthers his or her financial interest? I see no basis for morality and good and evil apart from a Creator.

An aside and a sad commentary: the Miami tv news today reported on two gasoline stations across the street from each other, both selling gas at $2.96 per gallon. To gain a competitive edge, one station cut its gas prices by three cents per gallon. In retaliation, the owner of the other station shot and killed his competitor.

Edited by Tim Gratz