The Education Forum

Roger Craig

Good evening,

I am currently on a hunt for Roger D. Craig’s autobiography “When they kill a president”. Hitherto, the hunt has been unsuccessful, and I’m starting to think that the book doesn’t exist or it is embedded in another book. I have stumble upon a link with portions of his book, but I am hoping to find the whole book, if it exist.

I was hoping someone could shed some lights on this.

Thanks in advance

Mark Johansson

Edited by Mark Johansson

Good evening,

I am currently on a hunt for Roger D. Craig’s autobiography “When they kill a president”. Hitherto, the hunt has been unsuccessful, and I’m starting to think that the book doesn’t exist or it is embedded in another book. I have stumble upon a link with portions of his book, but I am hoping to find the whole book, if it exist.

Thanks in advance

Mark Johansson

Hi Mark,

maybe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/JFK/WTKaP.html

regards

uwe

Good evening,

Thanks in advance

Mark Johansson

Hi Mark,

regards

uwe

Weaver,

This is the link I have stumbled upon, and read numerous of times.

My question to all of you, does it exist a continuation of his autobiography or could you recommend other books that spends a great deal of time explaining his events?

Mark Johansson

Edited by Mark Johansson

Good evening,

Thanks in advance

Mark Johansson

Hi Mark,

regards

uwe

Weaver,

This is the link I have stumbled upon, and read numerous of times.

My question to all of you, does it exist a continuation of his autobiography or could you recommend other books that spends a great deal of time explaining his events?

Mark Johansson

Mark,

I am not aware that the he put that out in book form, but I could be wrong.

I would suggest that you contact Gary Mack and or Ian Griggs, also a search at the Mary Ferrell website

could bring more information, should there be no answer to your question here.

Craig's account and what happened to him afterwards certainly is interresting, some things, like his presence

in the DPD are confirmed by at least one picture, even though that was denied by Fritz or Curry (can't remember who said it),

but, from what I have read over the years, there are allegations that he changed (or evolved) his claims over

the years.

Sadly I am not an expert in anything relating to the JFK assassination, so, that is all I can say.

You can access the full manuscript of "When They Kill A President" at:

When They Kill A President

You can access the full manuscript of "When They Kill A President" at:

When They Kill A President

Hi all, I haven't read his whole book, but alot of portions of it. Roger Craig has always been a a very interesting character to me, and has always gotten my attention. I believe his story completely, and from what happened to him after the assassination [not only the attempts on his life, but being booted by the Department, after having years of commendable service], just leads me to beleive they knew he knew more than they wanted him too. I beleive there is a separate section [threads on Roger here on the Forum somewhere] where there are many good posts concerning him, his service, and what had happened to him years later. Penn Jones and he were very close from what I understand, and Penn helped the Craig family out over the years. It is hard to beleive what he endured over the years after the assassination. It is a very sad story when you look at it. He saw many things that day, and also stopped and detained the woman in the parking lot, only to have Lummie Lewis "somehow" lose her! I have also always beleived he was correct in the I.D. of the rifle [Mauser], as were the others there who I.D.'d it correctly. [one other a former gunsmith/shop owner!] I will check out that full story at that site myself, as I would like to read the full manuscript. Thanks for that info Don! Its sad that others like Roger, backed down, and changed their stories under pressure from above, because if they hadn't, maybe things might have come out a little differently. Roger always stuck to his truthful story over the years, and look what it got him. It is truely a shame that an honest man like him had to endure all of what he did, just for being honest, and sticking to his story! Just my opinion FWIW.

thanks -smitty

Hi all, I haven't read his whole book, but alot of portions of it.

Mike,

Do you know if Craig managed to write a whole book before he died, or just the manuscript, which is available here and there?

Mark Johansson

Craig's account and what happened to him afterwards certainly is interresting, some things, like his presence

in the DPD are confirmed by at least one picture, even though that was denied by Fritz or Curry (can't remember who said it),

but, from what I have read over the years, there are allegations that he changed (or evolved) his claims over

the years.

Weaver,

It was Decker who denied that Craig was present in the interrogation room. However, later on, a picture surfaced and proved the opposite.

Mark

the years.

Weaver,

It was Decker who denied that Craig was present in the interrogation room. However, later on, a picture surfaced and proved the opposite.

Mark

Mark - James Tague sells the book on eBay - I do not know if it is 100% the same as the online version or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/When-They-Kill-a-Presi...1QQcmdZViewItem

- lee

Mark,

Mark

I'm sorry, but it was Fritz.

Decker wasn't in the interrogation room.

Steve Thomas

Mark,

Mark

I'm sorry, but it was Fritz.

Decker wasn't in the interrogation room.

Steve Thomas

Steve,

Of course it was Fritz. I have to blame it on all the coffee I’ve drinking.

Mark

the years.

Weaver,

Mark

Mark - James Tague sells the book on eBay - I do not know if it is 100% the same as the online version or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/When-They-Kill-a-Presi...1QQcmdZViewItem

- lee

Thanks, Lee

I will check and see if it is the same as one.

Cheers

I have a copy of the manuscript I bought about ten years ago.

It is named, " WHEN THEY KILL A PRESIDENT", by Roger Craig, Copyright 1971.

It can hardly be called a book{ although Craig does call it one } since it is only thiry two pages long. But I think it tells his story completely in his own words and is at every turn very interesting.

I don' know where it can be found today but I bought my copy at an assassination shop just off Dealy Plaza about 1996 for the price of ten dollars. It appears to have been made at a printers ' shop as the cover is see-through plastic and bound by two thin metal strips painted black.

The first unnumbered page has this inscription: This book is dedicated to my wife Molly, who

meant it when she said

" for better or worse."

This manuscript gives very insightful background into the workings and attitudes of the Dallas Sheriff's Office and officers in 1963 and of the trials and hardships Graig had to endure for telling what he knew was the truth. And he continued to do so up until the time of his self inflicted death in 1975 in Waxahachie, Texas at his father's house.

Jim

[quote name='Michael G. Smith' post='95910' date='Mar 1 2007, 02:12 PM'

Roger always stuck to his truthful story over the years, and look what it got him. It is truely a shame that an honest man like him had to endure all of what he did, just for being honest, and sticking to his story!

Please do some research on Craig and his various statements and testimony before accepting everything he had to say. His stories changed drastically over the years, so he never "stuck to his truthful story".

Regarding "proof" that Craig was photographed in Fritz's office, he was not. He was photographed in the Homicide/Robbery office. LHO was questioned in Fritz's office, which is behind the H/R outer office. Fritz said Craig was never in his office, and when Craig showed up at Fritz's office door, he was referred to another officer in that outer office. This isn't a question of semantics concerning offices as some might say. Craig said he was in Fritz's office while LHO was being questioned. By all accounts other than Craig's, he was not. Craig is on the far right in the photo.

post-822-1172786366_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard J. Smith

[quote name='Michael G. Smith' post='95910' date='Mar 1 2007, 02:12 PM'

Roger always stuck to his truthful story over the years, and look what it got him. It is truely a shame that an honest man like him had to endure all of what he did, just for being honest, and sticking to his story!

Please do some research on Craig and his various statements and testimony before accepting everything he had to say. His stories changed drastically over the years, so he never "stuck to his truthful story".

Regarding "proof" that Craig was photographed in Fritz's office, he was not. He was photographed in the Homicide/Robbery office. LHO was questioned in Fritz's office, which is behind the H/R outer office. Fritz said Craig was never in his office, and when Craig showed up at Fritz's office door, he was referred to another officer in that outer office. This isn't a question of semantics concerning offices as some might say. Craig said he was in Fritz's office while LHO was being questioned. By all accounts other than Craig's, he was not. Craig is on the far right in the photo.

Richard, I have read most portions of his "book, but like I said, I haven't read the book as a whole. From what I have read, and what I do know of him, [his service record, his family life, hard work, and willingness to stick to his story] I dont believe he was lying, or trying to manufacture more into his story, than what it was, and what he saw. Im sure if you take just about anybodys testimonies who were witnesses [or where involved in anyway with the assassination] and look at them over the years, Im sure you will find some differences, and slight changes in their stories that I would think would happen to just about anybodies testimony. You hear it every day here on the Forum. [people claiming how people changed their stories over the years, and did so mostly for the glory of making themselves seem more important than they really were]. I truly dont beleive this was the case with Roger Craig. I beleive he was an honest Deputy, who was doing his best job possible, and did all he could to help solve JFK's killing. The man was set up by his own department, and let go, after years of honorable service, for just being honest about what happened. You are entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else here, but I beleive his story. As I close all of my posts "just my opinion FWIW", means just that. Its my opinion, that all.

thanks-smitty