The Education Forum

The files of William Illig

Guest Mark Valenti

Guest Mark Valenti

If there's a push underway to force the release of any more files, included in the list should be those of William Illig, George Burkley's lawyer.

From the Mary Ferrell site:

In 1976, Burkley's lawyer William Illig contacted Richard Sprague of the HSCA, saying that his client had information that "others besides Oswald must have participated." Sprague was ousted days later, and the reconstituted HSCA and its medical panel never took Burkley's testimony (there is a short phone contact report). The ARRB in the mid 1990s contacted the family of the now-deceased Burkley, but was unable to secure permission to obtain Illig's files.

Questions abound about Burkley's handling of the now-missing brain of JFK, his role at the autopsy, and his involvement in the 1965 transfer of autopsy materials into the Kennedy family's hands. Did the Warren Commission and HSCA avoid Burkley because they were afraid of what he would say? In a 1967 oral history, Burkley was asked whether he agreed with the Warren Commission's view on the number of shots. Burkley's reply: "I would not care to be quoted on that."

Here's a link to a file that describes unsuccessful efforts to release the documents with the permission of Burkley's physician daughter.

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/arrb...t/pdf/md253.pdf

Edited by Mark Valenti

Guest Mark Valenti
If there's a push underway to force the release of any more files, included in the list should be those of William Illig, George Burkley's lawyer.

From the Mary Ferrell site:

In 1976, Burkley's lawyer William Illig contacted Richard Sprague of the HSCA, saying that his client had information that "others besides Oswald must have participated." Sprague was ousted days later, and the reconstituted HSCA and its medical panel never took Burkley's testimony (there is a short phone contact report). The ARRB in the mid 1990s contacted the family of the now-deceased Burkley, but was unable to secure permission to obtain Illig's files.

Questions abound about Burkley's handling of the now-missing brain of JFK, his role at the autopsy, and his involvement in the 1965 transfer of autopsy materials into the Kennedy family's hands. Did the Warren Commission and HSCA avoid Burkley because they were afraid of what he would say? In a 1967 oral history, Burkley was asked whether he agreed with the Warren Commission's view on the number of shots. Burkley's reply: "I would not care to be quoted on that."

Here's a link to a file that describes unsuccessful efforts to release the documents with the permission of Burkley's daughter.

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/arrb...t/pdf/md253.pdf

*** PS - Burkley's daughter is named Nancy Denlea - I found a Dr. Nancy Denlea online - but I don't know if it's the same one. The Dr. Denlea I found is listed as having completed residency training in obstetrics and gynecology at the Alton Ochsner Medical Foundation in New Orleans, Louisiana.

She also held staff privileges and teaching appointments at Ochsner Foundation Hospital in New Orleans.

Guest Mark Valenti

If the Louisiana Dr. Nancy Denlea is George Burkley's daughter, it would be interesting to know why she first gave permission for investigators to look at her father's lawyer's papers, but then rescinded the approval.

This effectively stopped the world from learning her father's true thoughts about the assassination.

Would it have anything to do with her suddenly being hired to work at the Alton Ochsner medical clinic?

Remember Ochsner? Fierce right-winger, connected to the Judyth Baker story in strange ways.

Burkley - JFK's private physician who saw all the medical records - said he knew there was more than one shooter.

If the Louisiana Dr. Nancy Denlea is George Burkley's daughter, it would be interesting to know why she first gave permission for investigators to look at her father's lawyer's papers, but then rescinded the approval.

This effectively stopped the world from learning her father's true thoughts about the assassination.

Would it have anything to do with her suddenly being hired to work at the Alton Ochsner medical clinic?

Remember Ochsner? Fierce right-winger, connected to the Judyth Baker story in strange ways.

Burkley - JFK's private physician who saw all the medical records - said he knew there was more than one shooter.

If I had to name just one individual who should have recieved more scrutiny at the time of the assassination, than any other single individual [note individual, as in not including groups, ie KKK, JBS, ANP, SS, CIA, OWI etc...] it would be Dr Alton Oschner......he links to Murchison, MK/ULTRA and various & sundry individuals in the New Orleans area...and for anyone who has read William Davy's Let Justice Be Done, there is no further need to elaborate, regarding your comments, I would have to say I couldn't agree more......On a somewhat related note, are you familiar with Marydale Farms? With the exception of possibly Fort Bragg, I would say that would have been a pretty interesting place to have been in the weeks leading up to Dealey Plaza......

Here's a link for the obituary notice for Nancy Denlea. http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=nancy+den...amp;ei=UTF-8and

I had never known her last name was Denlea, but I'm well aware of that name. Her husband, Leo, was the CEO of a large insurance company I worked for and I had an opportunity to meet him on a few occasions. The Denlea family lived in the Hancock Park area of Los Angeles. I vaguely recall seeing a copy of the obituary of Admiral Burkley that he had died in Los Angeles. That now makes sense as his daughter took care of him in his last years.

Apparently Admiral Burkley had 3 other children. It would be interesting to know if they are still alive and if they have authority to waive the attorney/client privilege or if that opportunity is lost as Mrs Denlea was the estate executor. Maybe Bill Kelly could comment on this.

Guest Mark Valenti

Nick, thanks for the link.

It's hard to believe that such a potentially important bunch of information such as this could be kept hidden for so long. The President's personal doctor who was present during key moments on 11-22 - made a very public statement hinting that he didn't believe there was only one shooter.

Burkley's dead, his lawyer's dead, his daughter's dead - who's in charge of the files now?

Nick, thanks for the link.

It's hard to believe that such a potentially important bunch of information such as this could be kept hidden for so long. The President's personal doctor who was present during key moments on 11-22 - made a very public statement hinting that he didn't believe there was only one shooter.

Burkley's dead, his lawyer's dead, his daughter's dead - who's in charge of the files now?

just a suggestion: As a lawyer of the National Legal Committe for the NAACP in 1960:

"the Crisis"

http://www.mdah.state.ms.us/arlib/contents...|1|1|1|1|39813|

Listing:

http://www.mdah.state.ms.us/arlib/contents...09|1|1|1|31044|

Perhaps Burkley's lawyer, William (F.) Illig's files, or some at least, may be accessible through the 'Emett Till" bill mechanisms?

A perusal of the names on the list linked to above may to the knowledgeable person provide other associations/avenues.

Edited by John Dolva

• 8 months later...

If I had to name just one individual who should have recieved more scrutiny at the time of the assassination, than any other single individual [note individual, as in not including groups, ie KKK, JBS, ANP, SS, CIA, OWI etc...] it would be Dr Alton Oschner......he links to Murchison, MK/ULTRA and various & sundry individuals in the New Orleans area...and for anyone who has read William Davy's Let Justice Be Done, there is no further need to elaborate, regarding your comments, I would have to say I couldn't agree more......On a somewhat related note, are you familiar with Marydale Farms? With the exception of possibly Fort Bragg, I would say that would have been a pretty interesting place to have been in the weeks leading up to Dealey Plaza......

Robert,

I also found the subject of Marydale Farms interesting. It seems a very under researched area of the investigation. I have not read about it anywhere else apart from in William Davy's book 'Let Justice Be Done'.

I have tried to find out more but come to a dead end. I managed to contact some people who used to live around there but either they did not live there in the 60's or I met a wall of silence with some when I mentioned Clay Shaw.

Interesting I thought......

Do you know much about it?

Thanks

Here's a link for the obituary notice for Nancy Denlea. http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=nancy+den...amp;ei=UTF-8and

I had never known her last name was Denlea, but I'm well aware of that name. Her husband, Leo, was the CEO of a large insurance company I worked for and I had an opportunity to meet him on a few occasions. The Denlea family lived in the Hancock Park area of Los Angeles. I vaguely recall seeing a copy of the obituary of Admiral Burkley that he had died in Los Angeles. That now makes sense as his daughter took care of him in his last years.

Apparently Admiral Burkley had 3 other children. It would be interesting to know if they are still alive and if they have authority to waive the attorney/client privilege or if that opportunity is lost as Mrs Denlea was the estate executor. Maybe Bill Kelly could comment on this.

Well, I don't know much about this, other than what I read in the Final Report of ARRB.

I did check Illig's law firm in Erie, Pa., a real high powered firm in such a small, out of the way area.

While Illig is still on the firm's name, he died in 1989, before Berkley.

I guess someone could contact the family and the law firm to see if they've changed their minds about releasing the records or even if they have any.

Thanks to Mark for bringing this up again, as it is the kind of thing we would like Congressional Oversight Hearings of JFK Act to review.

In response to John's note re: Emmett Till Bill, that bill has not been voted on by the Senate and may never be, as it is being held up by one Senator, but it wouldn't affect this kind of thing anyway, as the ETB will form a federal task force to investigate and prosecute civil rights murders of the 60s and 70s that previously only had local jurisdiction.

This is the kind of thing that we should call attention to during Sunshine Week - Open Records - Open Government - March 16-22.

BK

Robert,

I also found the subject of Marydale Farms interesting. It seems a very under researched area of the investigation. I have not read about it anywhere else apart from in William Davy's book 'Let Justice Be Done'.

I have tried to find out more but come to a dead end. I managed to contact some people who used to live around there but either they did not live there in the 60's or I met a wall of silence with some when I mentioned Clay Shaw.

I am relying on memory pretty much, but Marydale Farms [i believe] was owned by Lloyd Cobb, ostensibly Clay Shaw's boss? at ITM, as I remember it, there was compelling documentation that the Farm was a significant haven for anti-Castro activity leading up to the assassination of JFK. Sorry, I cannot provide URL's et cetera, but I believe there is nothing inaccurate in what I have posted. Skeptics are encouraged to do their own checking....

MacDonald, Illig, Jones & Britton LLP

http://pview.findlaw.com/view/2421192_1XXX

MacDonald Illig Jones & Britton LLP

Address: 100 State Street

Suite 700

Erie, PA 16507-1459

Map & Directions Phone: (814) 870-7600

Fax: (814) 454-4647

E-mail: info@mijb.com

tmoore@mijb.com

Web site: http://www.mijb.com

Areas of Practice Litigation Percentage Representative Cases Attorneys Firm Profile:Since our founding in 1897, MacDonald Illig Jones and Britton LLP has grown to become the largest law firm in Northwest Pennsylvania. We believe our success results from our commitment to provide our clients with unparalleled quality and expertise. With over 100 years of service, we continue to adapt to meet our clients increasingly complex legal needs. Our priority is to understand each client's business and legal needs and respond in the most efficient and effective manner.

Areas of Practice:

Banking & Finance Law

Business Organizations

Employment Law -- Employee

Employment Law -- Employer

Environmental Law

Estate Planning

Family Law

Health & Health Care Law

Immigration

Insurance Law

Intellectual Property

Labor

Litigation & Appeals

Professional Malpractice

Real Estate Law

Taxation

Trusts

White Collar Crime

Workers' Compensation

Litigation Percentage:

40% of Practice Devoted to Litigation

Representative Cases:

Heasley v. Belden & Blake Corporation, 2 F. 3d 1294; 122 ALR Fed 645 (3d Cir. 1993)

Attorneys:

Jump to: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A

Adrian, Shaun B, Partner

Antoun, James M, Partner

B

Beckman, Steven C., Partner

Brown, William R, Partner

C

Cullen, James D, Partner

D

D'Silva, Jonathan M., Associate

Deacon, Walter E. III, Partner

Decker, Bruce L Jr., Partner

Delaney, W. Patrick, Partner

Doyle, Catherine Moodey, Associate

Draskovic, John W, Partner

F

Fuchs, Matthew W., Associate

G

Gandley, Robert E., Partner

Goebel, Edward W Jr., Partner

H

Haller, Marcia H, Partner

Hirneisen, Jennifer Brostmeyer, Associate

Holland, David E, Partner

Huntley, Dale, Partner

J

Jones, T. Warren, Partner

K

Krowicki, Maureen Geary, Associate

L

Lauer, John A, Partner

M

McCullough, Matthew W, Partner

Mehler, John J., Partner

Miller, Daniel M, Partner

Murphey, Craig R.F., Partner

O

Oakes, Kimberly A, Partner

P

Pendleton, Thomas A, Partner

Presta, Lisa Smith, Partner

R

Reiter, Susan Fuhrer, Partner

S

Shaw, Mark J, Partner

Spoden, James E., Partner

Stefanovski, Laura Popoff, Junior Partner

T

Taft, Roger H., Partner

Thomas, Michael P., Associate

W

Walczak, James R, Partner

Warner, Russell S, Managing Partner

Wilson, John D, Retired

Woodard, Jon L., Associate

Z

Zimmerman, Gregory P., Partner

Robert,

I am relying on memory pretty much, but Marydale Farms [i believe] was owned by Lloyd Cobb, ostensibly Clay Shaw's boss? at ITM, as I remember it, there was compelling documentation that the Farm was a significant haven for anti-Castro activity leading up to the assassination of JFK. Sorry, I cannot provide URL's et cetera, but I believe there is nothing inaccurate in what I have posted. Skeptics are encouraged to do their own checking....

Robert,

Yes, Lloyd Cobb was an owner of the farm.

There was also some commando type training done there under the direction of an ex Marine Colonel. Who was funding this training I don't know but one wouldn't be drawing a long bow to say that assets of the CIA were involved.

Cobb below.

James

Robert,

Yes, as James said it was owned by Cobb and Shaw supposedly stayed there too. I think it was Edwin McGehee the Jackson town barber who identified Lawrence Howard as having told him he had worked on the farm.

This also makes interesting reading:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/weberman/felic.htm

There was also some commando type training done there under the direction of an ex Marine Colonel. Who was funding this training I don't know but one wouldn't be drawing a long bow to say that assets of the CIA were involved.

Cobb below.

James

Thanks for the photo! Had not seen Cobb's photo before. Can you expand any on the identity of the ex marine Colonel?