The Education Forum

For Douglas Caddy

Mr. Caddy,

You have told us that you had met Guy Bannister on a few occasion while your were living in New Orleans. Any chance that you knew or met any other individuals related to the JFK/Oswald discussions, such as David Ferrie, Dr. Ochsner, Dr. Sherman, Jim Garrison etc. If so, is there anything you could share with us, i.e. your impressions of them?

I believe you are roughly the same age as Lee Oswald would be today. Did you by chance ever meet or know any of his acquaintances, his brothers or him?

Thank you.

I did not know any of these other individuals. I departed New Orleans in 1956 to enroll in Georgetown University. Lee Harvey Oswald lived in New Orleans in the years immediately preceding the assassination of JFK in 1963, long after I had left the city, and following his return from the Soviet Union.

While at Georgetown University, in 1959 I founded the National Student Committee for the Loyalty Oath, which evolved into Youth for Goldwater. A year later, in 1960, I help found Young Americans for Freedom, which was organized at the family estate of William F. Buckley.

The above is a capsule history of how the mass conservative movement began.

You clearly played an important role in establishing the “New Right” movement in 1960. I believe the main intention of the Young Americans for Freedom was to get Barry Goldwater elected as president.

(1) Could you explain why you supported Barry Goldwater? Why aspects of John F. Kennedy did you disagree with? What do you think Goldwater would have done differently to LBJ if he had become president in 1964?

(2) I know that you no longer hold extreme right-wing views. When and why did you change your political views?

I supported Barry Goldwater because I got to know him fairly well as a person and even arranged for him to speak at Georgetown University while I was an undergraduate there. He was a rational person and not a knee-jerk, right-wing zealout. My opposition to Senator Kennedy was based on my being a loyal Republican at the time, holding the position of chairman of the College Young Republican Federation of the District of Columbia.

LBJ was a tool of Texas-based Brown and Root, which later became Haliburton. Brown and Root prospered dramatically during the Vietnam war (just as Haliburton has during the present Iraq war.) Goldwater, heir to an Arizona department store fortune, was fiercely independent and not a tool of any entity.

My views on Kennedy have changed over the years. From what I gather from research and reading, had he lived he would have made profound changes in our federal government, mostly to the good. An example of this was his threat to shatter the CIA into a thousand pieces following the Bay of Pigs debacle.

My views began to change in 1974 when Joseph Coors, Ed Fuelner and Paul Weyrich threatened to destroy the directors of the Schuchman Foundation unless we did what they wanted. Schuchman was the first chairman of Young American for Freedom and died at an early age. The directors refused to be threatened. Fuelner then founded the Heritage Foundation and Weyrich the Committee for a Free Congress, both bankrolled by Joseph Coors. Today America and the world are reaping the whirlwind of corruption and evil that these men and their organizations have spawned.

While at Georgetown University, in 1959 I founded the National Student Committee for the Loyalty Oath, which evolved into Youth for Goldwater. A year later, in 1960, I help found Young Americans for Freedom, which was organized at the family estate of William F. Buckley.

You clearly played an important role in establishing the “New Right” movement in 1960. I believe the main intention of the Young Americans for Freedom was to get Barry Goldwater elected as president.

(1) Could you explain why you supported Barry Goldwater? Why aspects of John F. Kennedy did you disagree with? What do you think Goldwater would have done differently to LBJ if he had become president in 1964?

(2) I know that you no longer hold extreme right-wing views. When and why did you change your political views?

I supported Barry Goldwater because I got to know him fairly well as a person and even arranged for him to speak at Georgetown University while I was an undergraduate there. He was a rational person and not a knee-jerk, right-wing zealout. My opposition to Senator Kennedy was based on my being a loyal Republican at the time, holding the position of chairman of the College Young Republican Federation of the District of Columbia.

LBJ was a tool of Texas-based Brown and Root, which later became Haliburton. Brown and Root prospered dramatically during the Vietnam war (just as Haliburton has during the present Iraq war.) Goldwater, heir to an Arizona department store fortune, was fiercely independent and not a tool of any entity.

My views on Kennedy have changed over the years. From what I gather from research and reading, had he lived he would have made profound changes in our federal government, mostly to the good. An example of this was his threat to shatter the CIA into a thousand pieces following the Bay of Pigs debacle.

My views began to change in 1974 when Joseph Coors, Ed Fuelner and Paul Weyrich threatened to destroy the directors of the Schuchman Foundation unless we did what they wanted. Schuchman was the first chairman of Young American for Freedom and died at an early age. The directors refused to be threatened. Fuelner then founded the Heritage Foundation and Weyrich the Committee for a Free Congress, both bankrolled by Joseph Coors. Today America and the world are reaping the whirlwind of corruption and evil that these men and their organizations have spawned.

LBJ was a tool of Texas-based Brown and Root, which later became Haliburton. Brown and Root prospered dramatically during the Vietnam war

That would be putting it quite mildly!

"I supported Barry Goldwater because I got to know him fairly well as a person and even arranged for him to speak at Georgetown University while I was an undergraduate there. He was a rational person and not a knee-jerk, right-wing zealot. My opposition to Senator Kennedy was based on my being a loyal Republican at the time, holding the position of chairman of the College Young Republican Federation of the District of Columbia."

Thank you for being forthcoming with that.

"Goldwater, heir to an Arizona department store fortune, was fiercely independent and not a tool of any entity."

My father, a staunch Republican, following World War II, would vote for Goldwater based upon those exact same character attributes. Pretty much the same reasons I would vote for Ross Perot, some three decades later. Unfortunately, I was under the false impression you could somehow "fight fire, with fire," back then. But, all you really managed to accomplish was splitting the vote, allowing for your worst nightmare to prevail.

Fuelner then founded the Heritage Foundation and Weyrich the Committee for a Free Congress, both bankrolled by Joseph Coors.

A well-known pit of fascist vipers, if ever one existed. It must have come as a rude awakening to find what you had once considered as the noblest of intentions on the part of your party, in reality merely amounted to nothing short of the most bastardized interpretation of "noblesse oblige," intended solely for the benefit of none other than the privileged few, themselves.

"Today America and the world are reaping the whirlwind of corruption and evil that these men and their organizations have spawned."

Too bad you couldn't have been on our side when it really mattered. But, it no doubt must have been strange having to deal with some really dangerous characters, the likes of E.H., G. Gordon, Fiorini, and that other high mucky-muck from Langley, whose name escapes me at the moment. I would presume this may have been around the time you most likely experienced your own "end of the innocence," if I'm not mistaken.

I just think it's a shame to have wasted all that talent on securing the fort for a den of thieves who could have cared less about the majority of the human race, except for what they might rob, steal, plunder, garner, and rape, from it. Your time could have been much better spent elsewhere. But, who am I to be the judge of that? I'm just glad you were able to come around and observe what matter of hell-hath-finally-been-wrought at the hands of your former employers.

Douglas,

Thanks for coming here and answering some hard questions. I'm not sure that all of us recognise this unique opportunity.

Dave

I agree. Not sure what purpose it serves to alienate those who have agreed to take the time to join the forum and answer questions.

Nick

Douglas Caddy Posted May 26 2007, 12:05 AM

QUOTE(Antti Hynonen @ May 24 2007, 12:25 PM)

Mr. Caddy,

You have told us that you had met Guy Bannister on a few occasion while your were living in New Orleans. Any chance that you knew or met any other individuals related to the JFK/Oswald discussions, such as David Ferrie, Dr. Ochsner, Dr. Sherman, Jim Garrison etc. If so, is there anything you could share with us, i.e. your impressions of them?

I believe you are roughly the same age as Lee Oswald would be today. Did you by chance ever meet or know any of his acquaintances, his brothers or him?

Thank you.

I did not know any of these other individuals. I departed New Orleans in 1956 to enroll in Georgetown University. Lee Harvey Oswald lived in New Orleans in the years immediately preceding the assassination of JFK in 1963, long after I had left the city, and following his return from the Soviet Union.

Mr. Caddy,

Thank you for your reply. Chances that you might know Lee or any of his acquaintances from that era are slim, but sometimes it is a small world. Lee lived in (and around) New Orleans at a number of different addresses and at a number of different times, according to my information also from 1/1954- roughly 6/1956, before his military service.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/oswald1.htm

During his early childhood and adolescence in New Orleans, Lee Oswald lived with his divorced mother at a number of different locations, usually in small rented houses or apartments in a moderateto-lower-income section of the city. (1) While the record of residences is not complete, one address was 126 Exchange Alley. (2) During her testimony before the Warren Commission, Mrs. Marguerite Oswald indicated that she and her son lived there when Oswald was about to 16 years old, roughly the years 1955-56. (3) They were "living at 126 Exchange Place, which is the Vieux Carre section of the French Quarter of New Orleans." (4) During her testimony, Mrs. Oswald noted that "the papers said we lived over a saloon at that particular address * * * that is just the French part of town. It looks like the devil. Of course I didn't have a fabulous apartment. But very wealthy people and very fine citizens live in that part of town. * * .. (5) While Mrs. Oswald correctly noted that "wealthy" citizens resided in some sections of the French Quarter, Exchange Alley was well known as the location of other elements; it was an area notorious for illicit activities. As the managing director of the Metropolitan Crime Commission of New Orleans, Aaron Kohn recalled, "Exchange Alley, specifically that little block that Oswald lived on, was literally the hub of some of the most notorious underworld joints in the city." (6). He noted further that Exchange Alley was the location of various gambling operations affiliated with the Marcello organization. (7) Noting the openness with which such activities were conducted there, (8) Kohn said, "you couldn't walk down the block without literally being exposed to two or three separate forms of illicit activities and underworld operations." (9)

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/jfkinfo/jfk9/Hscv9b.htm

Douglas Caddy Posted May 26 2007, 12:05 AM

QUOTE(Antti Hynonen @ May 24 2007, 12:25 PM)

Mr. Caddy,

Thank you.

Mr. Caddy,

Thank you for your reply. Chances that you might know Lee or any of his acquaintances from that era are slim, but sometimes it is a small world. Lee lived in (and around) New Orleans at a number of different addresses and at a number of different times, according to my information also from 1/1954- roughly 6/1956, before his military service.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/oswald1.htm

During his early childhood and adolescence in New Orleans, Lee Oswald lived with his divorced mother at a number of different locations, usually in small rented houses or apartments in a moderateto-lower-income section of the city. (1) While the record of residences is not complete, one address was 126 Exchange Alley. (2) During her testimony before the Warren Commission, Mrs. Marguerite Oswald indicated that she and her son lived there when Oswald was about to 16 years old, roughly the years 1955-56. (3) They were "living at 126 Exchange Place, which is the Vieux Carre section of the French Quarter of New Orleans." (4) During her testimony, Mrs. Oswald noted that "the papers said we lived over a saloon at that particular address * * * that is just the French part of town. It looks like the devil. Of course I didn't have a fabulous apartment. But very wealthy people and very fine citizens live in that part of town. * * .. (5) While Mrs. Oswald correctly noted that "wealthy" citizens resided in some sections of the French Quarter, Exchange Alley was well known as the location of other elements; it was an area notorious for illicit activities. As the managing director of the Metropolitan Crime Commission of New Orleans, Aaron Kohn recalled, "Exchange Alley, specifically that little block that Oswald lived on, was literally the hub of some of the most notorious underworld joints in the city." (6). He noted further that Exchange Alley was the location of various gambling operations affiliated with the Marcello organization. (7) Noting the openness with which such activities were conducted there, (8) Kohn said, "you couldn't walk down the block without literally being exposed to two or three separate forms of illicit activities and underworld operations." (9)

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/jfkinfo/jfk9/Hscv9b.htm

Very interesting. I did not know that Lee and his mother lived in New Orleans from 1955-56. Do you know what high school he attended? I was graduated from Alcee Fortier High School in 1956.

Your time could have been much better spent elsewhere.

There are some here who would say that the time Doug spent opposing LBJ was time well spent indeed.

You were ahead of your time then, Mr. Caddy, and maybe the same is true again today.

Your time could have been much better spent elsewhere.

There are some here who would say that the time Doug spent opposing LBJ was time well spent indeed.

You were ahead of your time then, Mr. Caddy, and maybe the same is true again today.

"There are some here who would say that the time Doug spent opposing LBJ was time well spent indeed."

I can't argue with that. But, from what I gathered, Mr. Caddy held almost the same views about LBJ that I did, at the time.

"You were ahead of your time then, Mr. Caddy, and maybe the same is true again today."

Total agreement. That's why I made the statement about how nice it would have been to have had him on our side of the fence, gifted as I believe he truly is, and has demonstrated as much, from a quite notable career. And, I'm not trying to be a smart aleck by stating what I have to say, here. I'm acknowledging what I perceive as an honest explanation being made by Mr. Caddy.

I am fully aware, speaking from my own experience, how at different points in our lives, we've all made choices we had believed in, based upon what we thought was the best decision possible for all concerned at the time we're making them. Sometimes we may discover we've quite possibly been misled. Or that a misrepresentation may have occurred due to an unexpected transition within an organization, committee, or other affiliation in which we had invested an enormous amount of time, energy, and faith. We wake up one morning only to find we no longer recognize the vision it once held for us. That is what I consider to be one of the "hard" lessons life can have in store for us.

This is the gist of what I believe Mr. Caddy was relating to us. And why I appreciated his coming forth to share with us the history of his relationship and involvement in the political community. By no means did I not recognize a unique opportunity, nor was I seeking to alienate Mr. Caddy from answering the forum members' questions. I merely sought to express my regrets for not having had his expertise available during some of the most troublesome times this country was forced to go through, with the assassination deaths of Martin Luther King, Jr., and Robert F. Kennedy, the Kent State Massacre, as well as the overall pall cast by the Vietnam War, itself.

Douglas Caddy Posted Yesterday, 05:13 PM

Very interesting. I did not know that Lee and his mother lived in New Orleans from 1955-56. Do you know what high school he attended? I was graduated from Alcee Fortier High School in 1956.

Mr. Caddy,

According to Mr. McAdam's web pages it was Warren Easton High in New Orleans until some time in 1956. In 1956 he moved to Ft.Worth TX and attended Arlington Heights High. Also he apparently attended Beauregard Junior High in 1954.

Edited by Antti Hynonen

Guest Mark Valenti

Doug,

Based on the time you spent in New Orleans, with the friendships you may have made -- do you know enough about Oswald's acquaintances/hangouts there to have formed an opinion about his sexual preference?