The Education Forum

The Kennedys and the Cover Up

One thing that has always puzzled me is the behaviour of Robert Kennedy after the assassination. It must have been clear within hours of it happening that his brother had been killed as a result of a conspiracy. Yet, rather than calling for a full investigation into this possibility, he even took measures that attempted to cover up the conspiracy (taking control of the brain and autopsy X-rays that showed he had been hit in the front as in the back).

Robert and John Kennedy had both upset the Mafia with its policy towards organized crime in the United States. Therefore some historians have speculated that Robert knew the assassination had been carried out by the Mafia and was taking action to prevent himself being assassinated. However, I was not convinced by this portrayal of Robert Kennedy as a coward.

Others have speculated that there is a possibility that Robert was protecting the image of JFK. For example, JFK had not cancelled CIA plans to assassinate Fidel Castro. Instead he gave it a new name, Operation Freedom, and placed Robert in overall charge. Of course he had to rely on the CIA to organize the killing of Castro but he insisted on being kept fully informed about what was taking place.

One possibility is that somebody in the CIA decided to change their target from Fidel Castro to JFK. As far as Robert is concerned the target is Castro. This is where the clever bit comes in. This CIA agent tells Robert that they have selected an agent to kill Castro. His name is Lee Harvey Oswald. They are told that efforts were being made to get Oswald into Cuba to carry out the killing. JFK is then assassinated. Oswald is quickly announced as being the killer (the original plan was for J. D. Tippit to kill Oswald but this fails and Jack Ruby is brought in to do the job).

Now consider the reaction of Robert Kennedy to the news that the man he had arranged to kill Castro had killed his brother. Any full investigation of Oswald and the Kennedy assassination would reveal details of Operation Freedom. What the CIA had cleverly done was to implicate Robert Kennedy into the killing of his own brother. He could now be guaranteed to join in the cover-up. The advantage to the Kennedys is that they are free to preserve the image of JFK as a honourable and honest politician. It also provides a base for Robert to become president in 1968.

However, this plan comes to an end on 4th June, 1968 when Robert was himself assassinated. Still there is still Edward Kennedy. Well, there was until 18th July, 1969.

John,

I know you don't believe this but I'm going to say it anyway.

Ted Kennedy is in the CIA. He was one of the intelligence officers targeted for political office. He was being handled by the KGB officers that killed his brother Jack and then Bobby.

I am an eyewitness to the fact that Ted Kennedy was addicted to cocaine in 1984.

Tony

John, rather than comment myself, let me introduce Ambassador Mann from Mexico City...the follow is an excerpt from one of the additions to my next issue of the book errata/news sheet:

HSCA (RIF 180-10113-10404) In an interview with HSCA staff the former Ambassador stated that “the investigations by the CIA and FBI after the assassination did cause him concern.” He specifically stated that “instructions were received from Washington to stop investigative efforts to confirm or refute rumors of Cuban involvement in the assassination….Mann said his instructions came from Dean Rusk and he believed that Scott, CIA Station Chief, and Anderson, FBI Legat, had received similar instructions from their respective directors.”

In addition, “Mann stated that in his opinion, if he had to make a guess, there was a 99 percent chance that the investigation was stopped because it would have resulted in the discovery of a covert U.S. government action….he also stated that RFK was heavily involved in counterintelligence activity in 1964.”

-- Larry

With regards to Robert Kennedy's silence, let's quote Earl Warren and Deputy Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach.

The idea to establish the Warren Commission officially came from Deputy Attorney General Nicholas Katzenbach.

The memo that Katzenbach wrote to the White House suggesting a Presidential Commission says that speculation about a Communist conspiracy must end.

It also states: “The public must be satisfied that Oswald was the assassin; that he did not have confederates who are still at large; and that the evidence was such that he would have been convicted at trial.”

Earl Warren was interviewed for a PBS television show in December 1972 and he stated that President Johnson was worried “that Soviet Premier Khrushchev and Cuba’s Premier Castro might have been involved in the assassination.”

Warren “was invited to the White House by Mr. Johnson who ‘told me he felt conditions around the world were so bad at the moment that he thought it might even get us into a war; a nuclear war.’” [New York Times, 12-9-72, page 25]

Two hours before going to the White House, “Mr. Warren said that he had advised the President’s brother, Robert F. Kennedy, that he did not believe a Chief Justice should undertake non-judicial duties while sitting on the Supreme Court.”

“Warren also related that Mr. Johnson said he had asked for a report from Defense Secretary Robert S. McNamara for an estimate on how many Americans would be killed in a Soviet nuclear attack. He said that Mr. Johnson had told him he was given a figure of 60,000,000 . . . The former Chief Justice said that the President’s concern had caused him to agree to head the inquiry.”

When Katzenbach wrote his memo to the White House, he suggested proffering a perspective “which will satisfy people in the United States and abroad that all the facts have been told, and that a statement to this affect be made now,” and “We should have some basis for rebutting the thought that this was a Communist conspiracy.”

The Kennedy's had Marilyn Monroe killed by one of the conspirators (Sam Giancana). There were more skeletons in their closet too, like the Cuban Misisile crisis was a phoney deal. Kennedy had made the agreement with Chroetsjov weeks in advance and the blockade was a staged show to let JFK save face for the home front, with Chroetsjov's consent. JFK panicked the whole world for nothing. Happens al the time. Remember the Maddox?

Hard to believe, huh? ....... There's your explanation for RFK's behaviour.

Wim

Edited by dankbaar

Come on Wim.

Are you seriously saying the Cuban Missile crisis was a hoax, a gigantic conspiracy to make Kennedy look good?

The Soviets really didn't have missile sites in Cuba?

Or they did have missile sites but JFK fabricated the crisis?

And I see you solved Marilyn Monroe's murder.

Golly!

All theses fine Americans with successful careers who were in the Military Industrial Complex were actually despicable murderers who killed the President of the United States, but that's OK. He was apparently a despicable murderer himself who had a Mafioso gangster kill Marilyn Monroe.

And his brother, the highest-ranking law enforcement official in the United States, who was running for the Senate, was also a despicable murderer in cahoots with him.

Makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

So let's not give any thought to the idea that there were KGB officers in the CIA bent on controlling the United States government.

What do we need with murderous KGB officers when the entire hierarchy of the United States government is a bunch of despicable murderers?

Edited by Anthony Frank

• 2 years later...

I have been reading the book 'The Senator' by former Ted Kennedy aid Richard Burke. Naturally I was interested to read his impressions on the Kennedy families stance on the assassination, I found what he had to say quite interesting.

'Judith Exner's story brought back the entire controversy concerning the assassination of President Kennedy. It now appeared that Giancana had been recruited by the CIA to assist with various plots against Castro, and the whole thing smelled very suspicious. Congress held extensive hearings on the subject. The Senator had his own team of investigators nose into the story, and he studied their reports carefully, but he kept his own counsel. Using his own investigators, however, was interpreted by some of us as an expression of less than full confidence in the official reports. Somewhere in the back of his mind, the Senator still had questions. In public, he held to the family's traditional response concerning a possible assassination plot: that there had been a proper investigation and that they supported the conclusions of the Warren Report.

Through private conversations over the years, I knew that several of the children had different opinions. Joe Kennedy tended toward the conspiracy theory, and he believed that whatever group was responsible for the death of the president had also killed his own father, Robert'

Richard E. Burke, The Senator, My ten years with Ted Kennedy, (1992, New York) pp 82-83

A very telling passage from the book.

If anyone comes across the thread of David Talbots new book, can they post the link here so that I can post this information there.

John Geraghty

The Kennedy's had Marilyn Monroe killed by one of the conspirators (Sam Giancana). There were more skeletons in their closet too, like the Cuban Misisile crisis was a phoney deal. Kennedy had made the agreement with Chroetsjov weeks in advance and the blockade was a staged show to let JFK save face for the home front, with Chroetsjov's consent. JFK panicked the whole world for nothing. Happens al the time. Remember the Maddox?

Hard to believe, huh? ....... There's your explanation for RFK's behaviour.

Wim

Chroetsjov = Kruschev?

I take offense at your opinion that the Kennedys had Marilyn Monroe killed. What would be the reason? She was going to hold a press conference and talk about her life with the Kennedy brothers? I'm sure Pat Newcomb, her press agent and friend to the Kennedys, would not allow it. She would come off like a crazy woman with no morals. That press conference would totally destroy her. If she was going to pick one journalist, her friend, James Bacon, he would never publish her remarks or talk about them, not even after the trio was gone. He said the Kennedys had nothing to do with her death. Bacon said he told the cops he was with the coroner, got into the house and into the bedroom and saw Monroe dead. He also said there was an empty bottle of champaigne -- this was not in her published autopsy. No ethanol.

Jerry Lewis also said that the Kennedys were not involved with Marilyn Monroe because he was the one with her and he knows what happened -- apparently accidental suicide. I don't think Jerry Lewis would shield murderers. Not the Jerry I know. And he was good friends with the President. However I do believe that she was murdered. I believe Bobby was at her house that day (according to Eunice Murray) and when he left, the CIA moved in and killed her, hoping Bobby would be held responsible for her death. This was one way to hurt Bobby. Another way was to kill his brother. Bobby was merciless with the mob and did stupid things propelled by testosterone.

Kathy

John,

I know you don't believe this but I'm going to say it anyway.

Ted Kennedy is in the CIA. He was one of the intelligence officers targeted for political office. He was being handled by the KGB officers that killed his brother Jack and then Bobby.

I am an eyewitness to the fact that Ted Kennedy was addicted to cocaine in 1984.

Tony

First of all, George W. Bush snorted cocaine, is alcoholic and has moments of aphasia, short-term memory loss. Ever see his news conferences? They're hand-picked. Are the journalists sedated before he comes out or what?

1984 is gone. We're living in 2007. I think he's pretty sober by now. That man had a lot of reasons to drink, etc. Ted Kennedy has always been the hardest worker in the Senate and cares about his constituents and the nation at large. Could you tell me where I may read about Ted Kennedy being in the CIA? It didn't do him any good in 1969. E. Howard Hunt and Frank Sturgis were seen on Martha's Vineyard on the weekend of Chappaquiddick. They're CIA. Why did they "assassinate" him if he was one of them? Or are you saying he was duped by the KGB into thinking he was in the CIA?

Kathy