The Education Forum

Introducing myself

John Kelin

Hi all,

John Simkin has kindly invited me to join this forum, which I came across recently via Google. Pardon my breach of etiquette if introductory messages like this are not usually made.

I've been interested in the assassination for a long time now, dating back to about 1976. Alas, I am among the dwindling number old enough to remember the day it happened (I was then seven).

Once upon a time I published a web site/ezine called "Fair Play," recently published a book relating to the case, and presently am the "web master" (a term I dislike) for Jim DiEugenio's Probe site (ctka.net). I also edited, in 1999, a book of Vince Salandria's assassination writings called "False Mystery."

Thus far I've made a few tentative forays onto this forum but am just now getting a handle on how to navigate my way around. I'm happy to be here.

Happy New Year,

John Kelin

Hi all,

John Simkin has kindly invited me to join this forum, which I came across recently via Google. Pardon my breach of etiquette if introductory messages like this are not usually made.

I've been interested in the assassination for a long time now, dating back to about 1976. Alas, I am among the dwindling number old enough to remember the day it happened (I was then seven).

Once upon a time I published a web site/ezine called "Fair Play," recently published a book relating to the case, and presently am the "web master" (a term I dislike) for Jim DiEugenio's Probe site (ctka.net). I also edited, in 1999, a book of Vince Salandria's assassination writings called "False Mystery."

Thus far I've made a few tentative forays onto this forum but am just now getting a handle on how to navigate my way around. I'm happy to be here.

Happy New Year,

John Kelin

Welcome aboard John, we are glad to have you here. I myself really like Jim and Lisa Pease's work, and Probe. Really enjoyed their book "The Assassinations", which I finished a short time ago. Sounds like you are doing alot more than just "couch" researching. lol. Im sure you will fit right in. Thanks for your intro. -Mike Smith

Hi all,

Happy New Year,

John Kelin

"Once upon a time I published a web site/ezine called "Fair Play," recently published a book relating to the case, and presently am the "web master" (a term I dislike) for Jim DiEugenio's Probe site (ctka.net). I also edited, in 1999, a book of Vince Salandria's assassination writings called "False Mystery.""

Welcome aboard, John. It's always good to have associates of Jim's and Lisa's here on the forum, as well as the founder of "Fair Play."

Happy New Year,

Ter

Hi all,

Happy New Year,

John Kelin

Hi John. I sent you an email but it was returned with the message:

Your message was not delivered because the destination computer was not reachable within the allowed queue period. The amount of time a message is queued before it is returned depends on local configuration parameters.

Most likely there is a network problem that prevented delivery, but it is also possible that the computer is turned off, or does not have a mail system running right now.

Your message was not delivered within 4 days and 0 hours. Host comcast.net is not responding.

The email said:

I am a great admirer of your Fair Play work. It has been brought to my attention that you have recently published Praise from a Future Generation. I have ordered a copy and have started publicizing it on the index page of my website on the JFK Assassination:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKindex.htm

The page currently gets 11,645 page impressions a month. I have also included it on my home page that gets over 3 million page impressions a month.

I have also created a page on you:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKkelinJ.htm

Please feel free to send me any information to update this page.

I have posted your biography and added it to your signature.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=37

I have also registered you on the forum.

I look forward to reading your postings.

You will find the JFK index here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4311

I hope you will participate in our JFK Online Seminars:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=197

You might be interested in our book section:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=204

Hi John and welcome. I finished Praise From A Future Generation and LOVED it. Masterful job of blending these stories with case details and their backstory. These people are my heros and all of America should know their stories. Do you have any personal thoughts as to why Mary Ferrell was so unwilling (?) to be more forthcoming?

The book is very moving and is must reading for people interested in this topic. I will look forward to Jim D's review on his blog. Thanks John for this wonderful book.

Dawn

Happy New Year everyone!

Hi John and welcome. I finished Praise From A Future Generation and LOVED it. Masterful job of blending these stories with case details and their backstory. These people are my heros and all of America should know their stories. Do you have any personal thoughts as to why Mary Ferrell was so unwilling (?) to be more forthcoming?

The book is very moving and is must reading for people interested in this topic. I will look forward to Jim D's review on his blog. Thanks John for this wonderful book.

Dawn

Happy New Year everyone!

Hi Dawn,

I'm so glad you not only enjoyed the book, but LOVED it! Thank you.

Mary Ferrell -- well, I readily concede she is underrepresented in the book. But trust me, it was not for lack of trying. In the book's intro I describe several aborted interviews with her in November 2000 at the Lancer conference -- those were not good situations, each coming at the end of long days. We had about ten minutes both nights before the room started filling up with people who just wanted to kick back and relax.

Later we just never connected. I called her a number of times and emailed even more times but subsequent interviews never panned out. There were a couple of people who told me they didn't want to provide info on her, on the grounds that certain data should come from Mary while she was still alive. I couldn't argue with that -- and you can't make people cooperate if they don't want to, of course.

I have been asked about this elsewhere, and my short answer is, "Well, she didn't really know who the hell I was." I can't imagine what it would be like, in my later years, to have some nosy stranger come poking around asking a bunch of sometimes personal questions about stuff that happened thirty or more years before.

For what it's worth, though, I have not given up on this, and I hope to someday have a revised edition of the book. As recently as the last few weeks I have read and logged the available correspondence between Mrs. Ferrell and Sylvia Meagher. That did not even begin until 1970. The letters did not yield as much info as I had hoped, but there was some useful stuff. Also, Debra Conway has agreed to help me out on this. We had a long phone conversation early this month during which we agreed to pursue this once the holidays are over.

I am especially interested in the earliest of Mary Ferrell's material, specifically the index cards she began creating almost right after the assassination. I need to find out what happened to this stuff. I hope it still exists, but she told a newspaper, sometime around 2000/2001, that she wanted some of her stuff destroyed upon her death.

By the way, any revised edition of my book would also include Mae Brussell.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

Thank you so much for these efforts on my behalf. It is truly appreciated.

I'm a bit stumped as to why that email bounced back to you. Error messages like the one you quote can be hard to interpret.

All of the old Fair Play stuff you posted looks fine. The only exception is the very minor point that the article called "JFK Breakthrough" should have a question mark, "JFK Breakthrough?"

Thanks again. I am very happy to be part of this forum.

John

Hi John. I sent you an email but it was returned with the message:

Your message was not delivered because the destination computer was not reachable within the allowed queue period. The amount of time a message is queued before it is returned depends on local configuration parameters.

Most likely there is a network problem that prevented delivery, but it is also possible that the computer is turned off, or does not have a mail system running right now.

Your message was not delivered within 4 days and 0 hours. Host comcast.net is not responding.

The email said:

I am a great admirer of your Fair Play work. It has been brought to my attention that you have recently published Praise from a Future Generation. I have ordered a copy and have started publicizing it on the index page of my website on the JFK Assassination:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKindex.htm

The page currently gets 11,645 page impressions a month. I have also included it on my home page that gets over 3 million page impressions a month.

I have also created a page on you:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKkelinJ.htm

Please feel free to send me any information to update this page.

I have posted your biography and added it to your signature.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=37

I have also registered you on the forum.

I look forward to reading your postings.

You will find the JFK index here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4311

I hope you will participate in our JFK Online Seminars:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=197

You might be interested in our book section:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=204

John,

I share your concern regarding the whereabouts and conditions of Mary's original archive materials.

Some months ago I exhibited the unmitigated gall to "out" the wealthy venture capitalist who bought Mary's holdings and funded the Ferrell Foundation and its website, and to ask after the location of her collections.

Rex Bradford, whom I respect, provided a non-answer. And a regular contributor to this Forum subsequently announced that he knew my "game" and would not let me play it.

I'd like you to consider joining me -- and, I hope, others -- in strongly urging Rex to come forward and tell the whole story. Rumor has it that the Ferrell materials were/are stored in shpping containers which were/are deposited on the Massachusetts estate of their purchaser, Oliver Curme. If so, I fear that they are subject to the not-so-tender mercies of weather, varmints (of numerous varieties), and other threats.

Make no mistake: Mary's collections include(d) many one-of-a-kind documents and other irreplaceable items. If they have been culled, the loss cannot be measured.

Is the game afoot?

Charles

Hi Charles,

I would like to discuss this with you some more, but privately. Please email me at:

johnkelin@comcast.net

Thanks,

John

John,

I share your concern regarding the whereabouts and conditions of Mary's original archive materials.

Some months ago I exhibited the unmitigated gall to "out" the wealthy venture capitalist who bought Mary's holdings and funded the Ferrell Foundation and its website, and to ask after the location of her collections.

Rex Bradford, whom I respect, provided a non-answer. And a regular contributor to this Forum subsequently announced that he knew my "game" and would not let me play it.

I'd like you to consider joining me -- and, I hope, others -- in strongly urging Rex to come forward and tell the whole story. Rumor has it that the Ferrell materials were/are stored in shpping containers which were/are deposited on the Massachusetts estate of their purchaser, Oliver Curme. If so, I fear that they are subject to the not-so-tender mercies of weather, varmints (of numerous varieties), and other threats.

Make no mistake: Mary's collections include(d) many one-of-a-kind documents and other irreplaceable items. If they have been culled, the loss cannot be measured.

Is the game afoot?

Charles

John Kelin :"I am especially interested in the earliest of Mary Ferrell's material, specifically the index cards she began creating almost right after the assassination. I need to find out what happened to this stuff. I hope it still exists, but she told a newspaper, sometime around 2000/2001, that she wanted some of her stuff destroyed upon her death."

Hi John :

Enjoyed your book, the first researchers have as well as their invaluable information, long been ignored..by I feel the many

...My choice has always been the first day evidence as well as the original studies and first books, etc, though not ignoring the new information as it has become available.....but learning to question all .... it seems for years the many were more interested in the newer books, and research, which at times has been wanting and at others misinformative..until shown.....mo..

I cannot aid you in where exactly all of Mary's information is stored, though Rex Bradford did post at that time that Charles mentioned, and did assure all they were stored high, dry and safe..and that he was in the process of the immense job of downloading...such ..on the site....for..the rest ?? of the information you would have to approach him...and perhaps you can find out further information for all....But I will say I have and do see since the site came onboard, that there is an on going updating of information and downloading of her vast information...

At the Mary Ferrell site, there are her Chronologies as well as her data base.....Below is the information from the site in reference to what you questioned and called her index files, which are now called...the Mary Ferrell Database.....but to access one must subscribe and visit with some regularity...to see what is constantly new, and to read...to try to stay up..to date...to some degree.

""The Mary Ferrell Database is an extensive reference system, containing over 10,000 entries for names and organizations relevant to researchers of the JFK assassination. Mary developed the database over many years, starting with index cards and eventually developing a DOS-based electronic database. The MFF has taken this electronic database and made it available and searchable on the internet.

You can browse the database or search it. To browse, select the first letter of the name you're looking for (for persons, use their last name). Or just enter a name or phase into the search box for quicker access.

Each database entry includes the name, notes written by Mary Ferrell, and source references for those notes. You may add your own comments to an entry.""

Take care .......am a waiting a second book....??

B....

Welcome John! I have the greatest respect for your work; "Fair Play" and "Probe" are both indispensable resources for assassination researchers. I plan on reading your book asap; it's about time someone paid homage to the original band of critics who started it all. This forum will be enhanced by your presence.

One quick question- Jim DiEugenio is listed as a member of this forum, but doesn't post. Assuming you have regular contact with him, any chance you could persuade him to start posting?

Hi all,

Happy New Year,

John Kelin

Hello John, I loved your book. In your book you mentioned Ramparts Magazine and its investigations. Did you ever come in contact with David Welsh? He wrote an article with William Turner entitled The Inquest in which it is asserted that one of the Parkland nurses said that the attempt to insert a trachea tube pushed out the back of JFK's head. If true, this is incredibly significant. I contacted Turner and he said that this part of the article came from Welsh and that he'd lost contact with Welsh. Did you speak to Welsh, and if so, could you contact him and find out where this bit came from?