The Education Forum

Did McIntire photograph Dan Rather?

Jack White

What is the man doing? He seems to be in an odd place.

According to Rather, if it is Rather, “Our production crew in the motorcade was going to throw me several rolls of exposed film as they passed. I had a cab waiting to rush the film to KRLD about 3 minutes away for developing. It’s a standard procedure we use to get film on the air faster. The presidential limousine sped past with several Secret Service cars close behind. Although I didn’t see the President, I knew something was wrong, so I jumped into my cab and went straight to KRLD studio.”

That interview is from Pictures of the Pain, which states, “Just beyond the underpass, near the ramp leading to the freeway, Rather was standing holding a vibrant yellow grapefruit bag. Four months after the shooting, Rather was interviewed about his role.”

When I say he's in an odd place, I mean that he appears to be as far away from the street as he can get, up against what looks like a row of light and dark barriers. If he's a spectator, you would expect him to be standing by the street like the others. If it's Rather, he would be by the street if people are supposed to throw film to him. And where's the cab he had waiting for him?

I don't think it's Rather, and again I wonder what he's doing.

I never noticed this man before.

Jack

What Jack White has provided in the cropped McIntire photo within or around the blue circle and red rectangle is Jack Daniel filming the three boys in front of him as they wave at the passing motorcade. There was NO ONE else between them and the triple underpass on their side of the street.

Ken