The Education Forum

Was Muchmore’s film shown on WNEW-TV, New York, on November 26, 1963?

Paul Rigby

Paul must not be getting attention these days. No mention of him contacting Lane or following up with UPI. Good ol' Paul Rigby~

Nor, too, it would appear, of the clipping allegedly lurking in Mack's box. Still looking, Bill, or that another evidentiary promise you can't deliver?

Paul

Nothing for me to deliver, Paul .. the newspaper in question is in the Museum. Like Denis said ... you make up 90% of this thread .. a fraction of that time spent looking for the paper in question, contacting Lane, etc., should keep you busy, but it appears that you aren't interested in doing anything that means doing research.

Everything sourced, much of it new - in summary, the most extensively and best researched thread on the alleged "Muchmore" WNEW-TV debut yet offered by anyone. It thus exposes as false and baseless the various claims advanced for it by Mack, Thompson, and, of course, you.

No wonder you hate it.

Paul

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything sourced, much of it new - in summary, the most extensively and best researched thread on the alleged "Muchmore" WNEW-TV debut yet offered by anyone. It thus exposes as false and baseless the various claims advanced for it by Mack, Thompson, and, of course, you.

No wonder you hate it.

Paul

Actually Paul ... I like you looking like a boob. I like it that people can see that you have made no contacts to validate your claim. I will like it more when the Museum gets to archiving the newspaper that Mack cited from and then see what other comments you have to make at that time. At that time all that you didn't do will be made clear.

Bill Miller

No wonder you hate it.

Paul

Actually Paul ... I like you looking like a boob. I like it that people can see that you have made no contacts to validate your claim. I will like it more when the Museum gets to archiving the newspaper that Mack cited from and then see what other comments you have to make at that time. At that time all that you didn't do will be made clear.

Bill Miller

still dancing and acting the 6th Floor Museum Shill, I see.... you look lovely scambling though AND, not to mention, attempting intelligence... KUTGW-Bill-o

still dancing and acting the 6th Floor Museum Shill, I see.... you look lovely scambling though AND, not to mention, attempting intelligence... KUTGW-Bill-o

Get some mental help, David ... you simply don't make sense. Here is a link to a site page called 'Exposing the Ignorant'. Your vulgar psychotic ramblings speak volumes.

Bill Miller

http://rossleysignorance.wetpaint.com/page...ON+HEALY?t=anon

Edited by Bill Miller

• 3 months later...
The name of the film-taker was totally irrelevant. UPI wanted to blow its own horn...

It certainly did on the morning of Tuesday, 26 November, as noted elsewhere in this thread. Thereafter, however, a politic reticence took hold. Unsurprising if the film shown in the early hours on WNEW-TV was the first version of the Z fraud – and no sooner broadcast than withdrawn for reworking - rather less so if it was Muchmore’s, which, of course, it plainly wasn’t.*

How did this volte-face manifest itself?

Like many other US news-gatherers, UPI hastened, post-assassination, to commemorate and memorialise both the tragedy and its response to it. The booklet which issued, almost certainly published in December 1963, featured the front pages of a wide selection of UPI newspaper-clients. Many of those selected were of the small town variety, precisely the kind which we now rediscover had published UPI’s breathless despatch of early on Tuesday, 26 November, proudly boasting that “United Press International Newsfilm early today was first on the air with exclusive film showing the assassination of President Kennedy.” And even though the period covered by the booklet was, in conformity to the official ring-fence, from 22 to 25 November, the final nine front pages featured in the booklet were all published on Tuesday, 26 November.

Not one featured UPI’s despatch heralding the Newsfilm division’s triumph in being the first to get on air film of the assassination itself, a claim which stood regardless of the taker’s identity, of course, and which had been the subject of a full page ad in the December 2, 1963, edition of Broadcasting: The Businessweekly of Television and Radio (Vol 65, No 23), p.69.

Like Life magazine, UPI had suddenly ceased to behave as a large commercial media-enterprise should.

We now know why, in both cases.

* UPI (New York), “Film Showing Assassination Is Released,” The Valley Independent, (Monessen, Pennsylvania), Tuesday, November 26, 1963, Page 5: “The sequence, shot by an amateur photographer in Dallas Friday, begins with motorcycle police coming around the corner followed by the Kennedy motorcade.”

Get some mental help, David ... you simply don't make sense. Here is a link to a site page called 'Exposing the Ignorant'. Your vulgar psychotic ramblings speak volumes.

Bill Miller

get on over to the Moorman -- Josiah is BACK.... ROTFLMFAO! And you know what that means.... Gary is watching....

Bill Miller

get on over to the Moorman -- Josiah is BACK.... ROTFLMFAO! And you know what that means.... Gary is watching....

Where is the moderator? Five topics all on the same subject. Is that allowed?

Anyone who follows this knows that all of this is REPOSTED FROM THE YAHOO JFK FORUM.

Why? All to further attack Dr. Fetzer.

Jack

Jack White wrote:

Anyone who follows this knows that all of this is REPOSTED FROM THE YAHOO JFK FORUM.

Jack

[end quote]

Hi Jack,

No, this is not from the yahoo group board... in fact, this piece (posted in 5 parts here)

has never been posted on the yahoo group, nor anywhere else - until today. I hope you

will take a look.

Bests,

Barb :-)

Jack White wrote:

Jack

[end quote]

Hi Jack,

No, this is not from the yahoo group board... in fact, this piece (posted in 5 parts here)

has never been posted on the yahoo group, nor anywhere else - until today. I hope you

will take a look.

Bests,

Moderators here do not allow five separate postings on the same topic. It likely

will be combined into one topic. I suggest that moderators read all the postings

for ad hominem attacks, which are allowed on the Yahoo board, but not here.

Jack

Jack White wrote:

Jack

[end quote]

Hi Jack,

will take a look.

Bests,

Moderators here do not allow five separate postings on the same topic. It likely

will be combined into one topic. I suggest that moderators read all the postings

for ad hominem attacks, which are allowed on the Yahoo board, but not here.

Jack

I will discuss the fact of having 5 separate posts on the same subject with other moderators to see if merging these is required. Based on other mod's views they will either remain as is, or be merged into one.

If there are ad hom attacks on this Forum, I, or one of my fellow moderators will deal with them on a 'one by one' basis. I will not, however, venture into other discussion boards or forums to read and/or analyse ad hom attacks.

Also, please feel free to report any such violations via the report function.

Edited by Antti Hynonen

The most impressive case of amnesia, however, belonged to UPI itself.

In early October 1964, UPI execs took their seats in Keith’s Theatre – “a short block from the White House” – to witness the debut of David Wolper’s “Four Days in November,” a documentary made “in cooperation with United Press International,” and boasting a “narrative script” which “was read for accuracy by [the] Warren Commission counsel,” no less.

In the highlighted sentences of the report below, we find that UPI had neglected to tell Wolper that in the early hours of November 26 (EST), WNEW-TV, NY, using a film supplied by the same UPI, had shown footage of the presidential limousine turning the corner from Houston on to Elm.

The omission permitted the introduction of a shot sound effect which just happened to dovetail with the print campaign, waged in late November and early December 1963 (see earlier posts in this thread), designed to suggest a shot at or just beyond the taking of the Houston/Elm turn.

http://www.kennedyassassinationarchive.com...esult=5¤tPage=0

Kingsport News (Tennessee), 8 October 1964, p.19

JFK Assassination Film Holds Guests Spellbound

Marlyn E. Aycock (UPI)

WASHINGTON (UPI) – Four days in November numbed an unbelieving world last year.

Tuesday night, the premiere of a film on President John F. Kennedy's assassination had almost the same hypnotic effect on 1,600 invited guests.

The first showing of "Four Days in November" was at Keith's Theater here, a short block from the While House which figured so prominently in the two-hour documentary. Producer David L. Wolper combined a skillful blend of newsfilm, still photographs, amateur movies and recreated scenes into a searing record of those four days.

The United States and much of the world lived those days as they unfolded on television and in print. Wolper's production, in cooperation with United Press International, brought those tragic events back in a chronological, cohesive account for the first time.

Drama Increased

The assassination came near the midway point. For an hour, the drama built up until the presidential car turned a Dallas street corner and a shot rang out. The screen went blank for several seconds, symbolizing the inability of the mind to grasp what had happened. Then the camera recaptured the frenzy in the Dallas streets — Mrs. Kennedy pulling the Secret Service agent onto the rear of the car, the dash to Parkland Hospital, the blind man’s buff search for a culprit. And then the grief.

The following days of nation al sorrow in Washington were interrupted by sudden switches to the confusion in the halls of the Dallas police station and the incredible murder of Lee Harvey Oswald. The film made no attempt to interpret Oswald's motives. It assumed his guilt on the evidence available just as the Warren Commission did 10 days ago in concluding that Oswald acted for reasons known to him alone and without help.

Audible Effect

The affect of reliving those four days was clearly audible among the guests from the White House staff, executive UPI Editors and Conference here. None of the Kennedy family was present although a number of the late President's friends accepted invitations. The film was being released today for world-wide exhibition. Wolper and his associates edited some 2 million feet of film, much of it not shown publicly before, into the 120-minute final product. The narrative script was read for accuracy by the Warren Commission counsel. And in spite of the emotional drain the film creates it surely must rank among the most valuable historical documents ever put together.

Wolper had "previous" as a propagandist for the spooks - at least 32 episodes of it, apparently:

David Wolper and OSS TV series, 1954

http://www.davidlwolper.com/shows/details.cfm?showID=508

The Valley Independent, (Monessen, Pennsylvania), Tuesday, November 26, 1963, Page 5

Film Showing Assassination Is Released

NEW YORK (UPI) — United Press International Newsfilm early today was first on the air with exclusive film showing the assassination of President Kennedy.

The film is 16mm enlarged from 8mm. It was shown on a New York City television station.

The sequence, shot by an amateur photographer in Dallas Friday, begins with motorcycle police coming around the corner followed by the Kennedy motorcade.

The President is then seen leaning over when the bullets strike. Mrs. Kennedy puts her right arm around the President and he slumps out of view. The film then shows a Secret Service agent running toward the car.

The film was shown in slow motion and also stopped at key points in the assassination. The scene was shown four times at different speeds and under different magnifications.

Copies have been rushed to United Press Newsfilm clients all over the world.

http://home.earthlink.net/~joejd/jfk/zapho...pson-proof.html

Proof that the Zapruder Film is Authentic by Josiah Thompson

Next, the problem of other photographers.

At the same time that copies of the Zapruder film were being made in Washington, New York and Chicago, other photographers were having their film developed. Fetzer has claimed that the government laid a security net over photo development in the Dallas area, posting individual FBI agents to photo developing locations. This, of course, is nonsense. All the FBI did was ask photo developers to include a note in packets of developed film asking customers to contact the FBI if their photos showed anything relevant to the assassination. Many of the most important films of the assassination were still in their owners’ cameras when the proliferation of Zarpruder copies started. The FBI first learned of the Muchmore film, for example, when it was shown on the New York City station WNEW-TV just after midday on Tuesday, November 26th.

The FBI must have been very puzzled by Thompson's claim. Not merely was the organisation confronted with a camerawoman who didn't know she'd taken any film of the presidential limo on Elm, but also by a film with a sequence - the presidential limo turning the corner from Houston onto Elm - that has never been observed on any known copy of the Muchmore film.

Another Thompsonian claim falls apart under scrutiny. What a surprise.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
The Valley Independent, (Monessen, Pennsylvania), Tuesday, November 26, 1963, Page 5

Film Showing Assassination Is Released

NEW YORK (UPI) — United Press International Newsfilm early today was first on the air with exclusive film showing the assassination of President Kennedy.

The film is 16mm enlarged from 8mm. It was shown on a New York City television station.

The sequence, shot by an amateur photographer in Dallas Friday, begins with motorcycle police coming around the corner followed by the Kennedy motorcade.

The President is then seen leaning over when the bullets strike. Mrs. Kennedy puts her right arm around the President and he slumps out of view. The film then shows a Secret Service agent running toward the car.

The film was shown in slow motion and also stopped at key points in the assassination. The scene was shown four times at different speeds and under different magnifications.

Copies have been rushed to United Press Newsfilm clients all over the world.

http://home.earthlink.net/~joejd/jfk/zapho...pson-proof.html

Proof that the Zapruder Film is Authentic by Josiah Thompson

Next, the problem of other photographers.

At the same time that copies of the Zapruder film were being made in Washington, New York and Chicago, other photographers were having their film developed. Fetzer has claimed that the government laid a security net over photo development in the Dallas area, posting individual FBI agents to photo developing locations. This, of course, is nonsense. All the FBI did was ask photo developers to include a note in packets of developed film asking customers to contact the FBI if their photos showed anything relevant to the assassination. Many of the most important films of the assassination were still in their owners’ cameras when the proliferation of Zarpruder copies started. The FBI first learned of the Muchmore film, for example, when it was shown on the New York City station WNEW-TV just after midday on Tuesday, November 26th.

The FBI must have been very puzzled by Thompson's claim. Not merely was the organisation confronted with a camerawoman who didn't know she'd taken any film of the presidential limo on Elm, but also by a film with a sequence - the presidential limo turning the corner from Houston onto Elm - that has never been observed on any known copy of the Muchmore film.

Another Thompsonian claim falls apart under scrutiny. What a surprise.

Paul

A wee bump in tribute to the astonishing work of the great "Tink." Verily, we are not worthy...

• 7 months later...
Paul, I'm not a very filmy citizen, but it souds very interesting, to put it mildly.

What are the sources on your comment about Dan Rather describing the film on Nov. 25th?

Nat,

Trask’s National Nightmare on six feet of film: Mr. Zapruder’s home movie and the murder of President Kennedy (Danvers, MA: Yeoman Press, 2005), pp.137-144, offers transcripts of Dan Rather’s two surprisingly detailed descriptions of the film, as offered on November 25, first to radio listeners, then to CBS television news watchers (Walter Cronkite presiding). I have assumed them accurate, whether wisely or not remains to be seen.

Rather’s descriptions suggest a compelling reason for the recall of the first public version of the Z film. In both of them, Rather describes Connally as having turned to face the President, with his right arm extended towards the latter (radio) or merely reaching with an unspecified arm (tv) in response to Kennedy’s agonised response to the first bullet’s impact. Anatomically, then, Connally was in completely the wrong position to receive a bullet in the back from the rear. In fact, he was side-on to the TSBD, chest facing the grassy knoll, when, according to both Rather descriptions, the front of his exposed white shirt clearly manifested the exit wound.

You see at once the problem for the manufacturers of the two official orthodoxies (TSBD and the grassy knoll – I think of them as a pair).

Interestingly, Trask notes elsewhere that Rather was shown the Z film again on November 26 – in effect, one can’t help thinking, “re-educated” as to the film’s contents – at KRLD. According to Trask, it was one of the two copies sent to Washington, and recalled by the Dallas Secret Service (p.131). Call me cynical, but I rather suspect they were not the same film:

“The evening of November 25 the Secret Service contacted the FBI requesting that the FBI-lent first-generation copy be returned to the Dallas Secret Service, as it was needed the next morning. The film was put upon a Braniff Airlines fight scheduled to arrive in Dallas at 3:21 a.m. By 9:00 a.m., the film was delivered by an FBI agent back into the hands of Secret Service Inspector Kelley,”

Richard Trask. National Nightmare on six feet of film: Mr. Zapruder’s home movie and the murder of President Kennedy (Danvers, MA: Yeoman Press, 2005), p.122.

By coincidence, November 25 was not only the day that Rather offered his two descriptions, but also the day on which Time-Life initiated a survey/reconstruction; and, late in the afternoon, that the same organisation felt belatedly compelled to buy the film rights to Z (or so the received version has it). Even more interestingly, it was the same night that Russian TV viewers were treated to a film of the actual shooting, a film that could not – because of the time differences involved – have been the Muchmore film.

All in all, then, for the Zapruder film, a very event-filled day, November 25.

Paul.

“The second little matter flows clearly from the first…You can’t begin and then stop. If you begin, you must keep on beginning; that’s the truth. No rest for the wicked,”

Robert Louis Stevenson, The Body Snatcher.

Dick Russell. On The Trail of the JFK Assassins: A Groundbreaking Look at America’s Most Infamous Conspiracy (NY: Skyhorse Publishing, 2008), chapter 41, an interview with Doug Horne: “Two Caskets, Two Autopsies, Two Brain Exams: The Disappearing Evidence,” p.293:

Z film’s early history a retrospective fiction:

The processing affidavits which attempt to establish the film’s chain-of-custody are all dated November 22, the day of the assassination, when Zapruder was running around helter-skelter trying to get his film developed. He went first to a TV station and then some other place, where he was told that since the film’s chemistry was proprietary, it had to go to a Kodak lab to be developed. So, yes, these affidavits still do mean that the Kodak lab in Dallas developed the original film; they establish that Mr. Zapruder exposed three contact prints at the Jamieson film lab in Dallas; and they further establish that he then returned them to the Kodak processing plant where the three copies were immediately developed. All these things happened on November 22, 1963 – I don’t doubt that for one minute. But I think the affidavits recording these events were probably really executed on Monday, November 25, and back-dated to the 22. (No one I am aware of saw Abraham Zapruder running round Dallas on November 22 with a manual typewriter under his arm.) On Saturday, Zapruder signed a contract with Life Magazine for $50,000 for print rights only, permitting them to keep the materials for only one week. Then, on Monday, a new contract was signed for print and motion picture rights, and Life was to keep the materials forever. Zapruder got a lot more money - $150,000 total now, instead of $50,000 – when he renegotiated his deal on Monday. In support if his new contract, I believe that he then had to prove the provenance of the film, so he created the appropriate paper trail in the form of the back-dated affidavits.

Ibid., p.295:

Necessary continuities in deception:

Those who would create a false legend of the shooting by culling the autopsy photo collection and inserting manipulated photos that told a false of the wounds and the shooting, would of necessity also have to either destroy, or alter, any motion picture evidence of the assassination that was inconsistent with the officially promulgated version of the assassination. And if an original and seven copies of an autopsy report can be successfully switched out and substituted, then so can an original and three copies of a motion picture film. Perhaps a “film switch” is even why Zapruder was allowed to renegotiate his contract with Life Magazine; perhaps that additional $100,000 (which was pro-rated over a six-year period) bought his silence and future cooperation. After all, he did see the true original in the Kodak lab the day of the assassination and did screen it for others (such as Dan Rather) on Saturday, November 23.* (Perhaps this is why Dan Rather’s contemporaneous account of what he saw in the film that weekend, broadcast on the radio, differs from what we see in the film in the archives today!) It would have been imperative to reliably obtain Zapruder’s silence over the switch. This scenario would also explain the accounts we have all heard over the years of others seeing or possessing different versions of the Zapruder film from the one we know today, if the true original and the three true first-generation copies were not all immediately destroyed.

* Not so: Progressive Labor – A Special Supplement, “Kennedy’s Assassination: A System in Crisis,” Wednesday, 27 November 1963, p.5: “CBS News reported on the afternoon of November 25 that a movie made of the assassination showed three shots hit President Kennedy and Governor Connelly [sic] in a period of ‘five seconds.’”

For any newcomers to the debate about Z film alteration in general, and Dan Rather's role in particular, here's a website where you can both hear and read his earliest descriptions on CBS (radio and TV):

http://www.etcfilmunit.com/iaccuse.html

I-Accuse - a Gil W. Toff current project on JFK assassination

Toff's involvement in the case goes back to the late 1960s: I have some audio tapes of interviews he conducted at the time, seemingly for Newcomb and Adams' Murder From Within. His point couldn't be clearer. The Z film described by Zapruder (on 22 November) and Rather, twice, (on 25 November), is not the version which emerged in the course of the Clay Shaw trial; and thus to accuse Rather of lying is to miss the much bigger and more important point - the film was significantly reworked after its initial emergence:

http://www.i-accuse.com/audioRather.html

"…at the President's assassination, an amateur photographer positioned himself on an old street lamp base and was facing the automobile, with his side to the window from which the shots came. The President's open black Lincoln automobile made a turn off of Houston Street in Dallas onto Elm Street right below the window from which the shots were fired, it got about 35 yards from the face of the building.

President Kennedy had just put his right hand up to the side of his right eye; in front of them were Governor and Mrs. Connolly, two Secret Service men in the front seat. At almost the instant the President put his hand up to his eyebrow, the President lurched forward just a bit, uh, it was obvious that he had been hit, in the movies but…you had to be looking very closely in order to see it. Mrs. Kennedy does not appear to be aware that he was hit. But Governor Connolly in the seat just in front of the President duly heard the shot, turned in such a way to expose his entire shirt front and chest. At that moment, a shot very clearly hit the front of the Governor. He was wounded once with a chest shot which we now know, and the Governor fell back in his seat. And at that instant, the 2nd shot, the 3rd shot total, hit President Kennedy and there was no doubt there it, it, hit him, went forward with considerable violence. Mrs. Kennedy stood up immediately then threw herself out of the back seat of the car onto the trunk of the car, and then the Secret Service man standing on the back bumper. The Secret Service man leaned over, put his hands on her shoulders and shoved her back into the car. A Secret Service man in the front seat of the car ah, was already on the telephone, perhaps he had been on the phone all along, it was not clear. And the car sped away.

The complete scene that I just described to you covered exactly 20 seconds, that is from the time the car made the turn, until the car disappeared onto an underpass. It is very clear that President was hit, Governor Connolly was hit, then the President was hit again. The 2nd shot hit President Kennedy, and there was no doubt there it it hit and went forward with considerable violence."

http://www.i-accuse.com/audioZap.html

TRANSCRIPT

This transcript is taken from video tape of the live broadcast seen nationwide on the ABC network on November 22, 1963. The interviewer, seated on the left, is WFAA-TV program director Jay Watson. On the right, with his hat on the desk, is Abraham Zapruder.

WATSON: A gentleman just walked in our studio that I am meeting for the first time as well as you, this is WFAA-TV in Dallas, Texas. May I have your name please, sir?

ZAPRUDER: My name is Abraham Zapruder.

WATSON: Mr. Zapruda?

ZAPRUDER: Zapruder, yes sir.

WATSON: Zapruda. And would you tell us your story please, sir?

ZAPRUDER: I got out in, uh, about a half-hour earlier to get a good spot to shoot some pictures. And I found a spot, one of these concrete blocks they have down near that park, near the underpass. And I got on top there, there was another girl from my office, she was right behind me.

And as I was shooting, as the President was coming down from Houston Street making his turn, it was about a half-way down there, I heard a shot, and he slumped to the side, like this. Then I heard another shot or two, I couldn't say it was one or two...