The Education Forum

Photos of KBOX mobile news car?

On pages 144-146 in Donald Phillips book A Deeper, Darker Truth, he states that the KBOX mobile news car was 40-50 yards in front of the JFK limo as the shots rang out on Elm Street. I cannot find any evidence of this car in the Altgens or McIntire photos. Can anyone direct me to any photos or film that might show this car? Bernice or Jack maybe? Thanks.

On pages 144-146 in Donald Phillips book A Deeper, Darker Truth, he states that the KBOX mobile news car was 40-50 yards in front of the JFK limo as the shots rang out on Elm Street. I cannot find any evidence of this car in the Altgens or McIntire photos. Can anyone direct me to any photos or film that might show this car? Bernice or Jack maybe? Thanks.

I too read that with some dismay. Perhaps, like many, the author was misled by the RECREATION record

by Sam Pate. Everyone is familiar with it. It starts..."THERE HAS BEEN TROUBLE IN THE MOTORCADE

ROUTE". Many think this a live recording, but it was a recreation put together with other live reports for

issuing a record. I have the record somewhere, but do not know exactly where.

To answer your question, I do not know where the KBOX car was.

Jack

Thanks, Jack. The original recording (not the recreated one) might have sounds of the shots that could be analyzed for sonic waves if the car was in Dealey Plaza but like most evidence it appears to be missing (confiscated by the FBI) according to Phillips.

I seem to recall that Pate died in recent years, so he can no longer say.

Jack

I too read that with some dismay. Perhaps, like many, the author was misled by the RECREATION record

by Sam Pate. Everyone is familiar with it. It starts..."THERE HAS BEEN TROUBLE IN THE MOTORCADE

ROUTE". Many think this a live recording, but it was a recreation put together with other live reports for

issuing a record. I have the record somewhere, but do not know exactly where.

To answer your question, I do not know where the KBOX car was.

Jack

Sixth floor museum.

Sam Pate

A reporter for KBOX Radio, Pate was on Stemmons Freeway in a mobile news cruiser at the time of the assassination and covered the scene at Dealey Plaza and at Dallas City Hall. Several days later, he recorded a re-enactment of his live KBOX bulletins from November 22, including his famous remark, "It appears as though something has happened in the motorcade route." Recorded June 22, 2005.

Newsman Ron Jenkins (McAlister) was in KBOX mobile news unit number 6 at the rear of the motorcade while newsman Sam Pate patiently waited in KBOX unit #4 on Stemmons Freeway, just above the Triple Underpass, through which the presidential motorcade was to pass out of Dealey Plaza on its route to the Trade Mart.

The plan was for Pate to continue with the KBOX live coverage of the motorcade as it emerged from the Triple Underpass and approached Stemmons Freeway, and continue with that live coverage until the President reached the Trade Mart.

freeway.jpg

If Pate was waiting at the top of the exit ramp, i guess that may be Approx 50 - 100 Metres from McIntire's location. ?

Edited by Robin Unger

Robin, this seems to be much further than the 40-50 yards in front of the limo at the time that the shots rang out. Phillips' account is not credited in his book so I can't judge the veracity of it. If Pate was on the entrance ramp of the Stemmons Freeway as your post suggests then he could not possibly have witnessed the smoke rising from the storm drain in front of the knoll through his rear view mirror as described by Phillips. However, if the portion of the original tape exists before his recreated account was added, a modern analysis of that recording could possibly detect the number of shots fired much like the motorcycle recording made a block or so from Dealey Plaza. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Walt Rollins

Robin, this seems to be much further than the 40-50 yards in front of the limo as the time the shots rang out. Phillips' account is not credited in his book so I can't judge the veracity of it. If Pate was on the entrance ramp of the Stemmons Freeway as your post suggests then he could not possibly have witnessed the smoke rising from the storm drain in front of the knoll through his rear view mirror as described by Phillips. However, if the portion of the original tape exists before his recreated account was added, a modern analysis of that recording could possibly detect the number of shots fired much like the motorcycle recording made a block or so from Dealey Plaza. Thanks for your help.

Hi Walt.

A bit more info from Gary Mack.

Robin,

Only the first of those three Sam Pate paragraphs comes from The Sixth Floor Museum: http://jfk.org/go/collections/oral-histori...y-name?letter=P

The rest were written by Mike Shannon and they appear on his local Dallas-Fort Worth radio history site: http://www.knus99.com/kbox1480pt2.html The FBI spent some time looking into the KBOX recordings: http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=6

The late Sam Pate told me he was a mile or so from Dealey Plaza at the Hi-Line Drive intersection with Stemmons Freeway. As for Ron Jenkins, I’ve heard two different stories over the years. One that he was at the Trade Mart and the other is that he was behind the motorcade for a period of time. I suspect he followed the motorcade out of Love Field and then drove to the Trade Mart to catch JFK’s arrival

From the KBOX site......

In a taped recording, condensed recreation of the reporting that day, Pate described the presidential limousine turning onto Elm Street and proceeding toward the Triple Underpass, en route to the Trade Mart when he suddenly reports: “it…it…it appears as though something has happened in the motorcade route…something…I repeat has happened in the motorcade…there are numerous people running up the hill alongside Elm Street there by Stemmons…several police officers are rushing up the hill at this time…standby…just a moment please.”

If Pate was on the entrance ramp, he obviously is not speaking of the hill on the grassy knoll. He could not have seen those events even though he correctly states people and police are running up the hill. He must have taken some liberties when recreating his account of the action he witnessed. I'd still would like to know where Phillips got his version.

Edited by Walt Rollins

There are other things to consider. News reporting was undergoing a bit of a revolution at this time with KLIF leading, or so they say, with its mobile radio stations that the station could switch to. Apart from just listening to the radio, they used to have arrangements where they phoned someone up and they turned their radio on and put the phone next to it , basically ''pinching'' other services reporting. ''...running up the hill alongside Elm Street there...''...then standby...

• 2 years later...