The Education Forum

What Happened In Dallas- Where Does Everyone Stand?

Something that I have often wondered about........How and when did Oswald learn that JFK had actually died? JFK was shot at 12:30 and pronounced dead at around 1:00. Oswald was arrested at the Texas Theater around 1:45. Yet up to that time, if Oswald was not outside the TSBD, he didn't even see JFK being shot....so couldn't have known the impact of the shots, even though he did hear about it from other employees. Then shortly after that, he left the TSBD apparently on the run or even just thinking the work woiuld be shut down for the rest of the day. JFK had not died at the time Oswald was on the bus, riding a cab or at his boarding house....so couldn't yet have heard it on the TV and Earlene Roberts also hadn't heard JFK had died yet. Then he was appparently on the run again and no radio or contacts to inform him that JFK had died, before he got to the theater and was arrested. Then he probably found out when he reached the DPD. It would seem to me, that possibly the only way he could have found out ,was if he did see Tippit and he told him. Tippit was shot from 1:05 to 1:16.... which is controversial regarding the time. .So, even at 1:05, Tippit might have just heard the news on his radio.

I do not believe Oswald shot Tippit...although I have often changed my opinion in that regard. I believe he was set up...but still I don't see any other way Oswald could have known, that is, even if he did know before his arrest.....which I am not so sure he did know. I don't feel that he could have just assumed JFK was going to die....not really knowing how bad the shots were.

Dixie

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I' like to replace Oswald with X. X would have seen through a scope the head impact followed by a quick look and known 'mission accomplished'. (Clark just put the exclamation mark on the process.) So, that imo invalidates this speculation, however, disregarding that, that gives Oswald 45 minutes to pass radios and people, for example, was the radio on in the shoe store, a car radio?

I regularly change my mind on Tippit from that it was totally unrelated, to it being a setup of sorts, that could even have involved a renegade conspirator that morphed into Tippit The whatever, and / or a temporarily missing MC cop, to it being an essential ingredient, planned or accidental.

What about the ones who had silencers on their guns?

Kathy C

Kathy, you may be unaware of it, but a silencer doesn't totally silence a gunshot. It works on the same principle as a muffler on a car...and I'm sure you can hear cars running that have intact mufflers on them. They're just not nearly as loud as a straight pipe would be...and an unsilenced gun is more like a straight pipe. And bullets that are not moving at subsonic speeds, by definition, are moving faster than the speed of sound. They create shock waves and leave other "signatures."

They are not completely "silent," despite the term "silencer."

Something that I have often wondered about........How and when did Oswald learn that JFK had actually died? JFK was shot at 12:30 and pronounced dead at around 1:00. Oswald was arrested at the Texas Theater around 1:45. Yet up to that time, if Oswald was not outside the TSBD, he didn't even see JFK being shot....so couldn't have known the impact of the shots, even though he did hear about it from other employees. Then shortly after that, he left the TSBD apparently on the run or even just thinking the work woiuld be shut down for the rest of the day. JFK had not died at the time Oswald was on the bus, riding a cab or at his boarding house....so couldn't yet have heard it on the TV and Earlene Roberts also hadn't heard JFK had died yet. Then he was appparently on the run again and no radio or contacts to inform him that JFK had died, before he got to the theater and was arrested. Then he probably found out when he reached the DPD. It would seem to me, that possibly the only way he could have found out ,was if he did see Tippit and he told him. Tippit was shot from 1:05 to 1:16.... which is controversial regarding the time. .So, even at 1:05, Tippit might have just heard the news on his radio.

I do not believe Oswald shot Tippit...although I have often changed my opinion in that regard. I believe he was set up...but still I don't see any other way Oswald could have known, that is, even if he did know before his arrest.....which I am not so sure he did know. I don't feel that he could have just assumed JFK was going to die....not really knowing how bad the shots were.

Dixie

Dixie, I believe it wasn't until around 1:33 PM CST that Malcolm "Mac" Kilduff announced the President's death.

Therefore, the news of JFK's death wouldn't have been made public prior to this. Therefore, no official announcement of JFK's death would be on TV or on radio in a place where Oswald could have seen or heard it until AFTER Oswald was in custody. There was plenty of speculation prior to the official announcement, but I don't believe it was officially announced prior to the Parkland press conference.

Therefore, Tippit couldn't have told him, because nobody could have officially told Tippit, via radio or otherwise [check DPD radio transcripts...no announcement of JFK's death was made via police radio prior to Tippit's shooting].

Edited by Mark Knight

Oh...you are right Mark and thanks for re-jogging my memory. I made an error when it was actually around 1:00 when JFK died and another 35 minutes before an official announcement was made. But as you also mentioned there was much unconfirmed speculation before the announcement. So, Tippit could not have known by the time time he was also shot. So, it just doesn't appear that Oswald knew either.

Dixie