The Education Forum

Ballistics

Tom,

All good stuff!

Guess I need to come off some of those old MC rounds and get to shootin.

Mike

Actually, I have only two remaining (intact) WCC 6.5mm Carcano rounds, and have no intention of shooting either one.

As difficult as it was to part with (shoot) a portion of those found, if one is going to do "comparative testing", then one should not attempt to do so with any of the new NORMA ammo.

However, the actual Italian rounds are quite similiar in structure to the WCC round, and can be easily utilized to determine if (which it does) a copper-jacketed Carcano bullet actually loses stability and begins to tumble in flight after having been fired through a 1-inch thick oak limb.

Do you ballistics guys know how or why and of any other examples of a bullet fragmenting like the one that hit JFK's head?

And has anyone tried to account for all of the fragments?

Thanks,

BK

Bill,

I really don't believe that bullet fragmented until after it left the head, and struck the chrome. That wound is a text book FMJ.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you consider the fragments in JFK's head immaterial, or insignificant?

How about those in Connaly's wrist and thigh?

Thanks!

Tom,

All good stuff!

Mike

Actually, I have only two remaining (intact) WCC 6.5mm Carcano rounds, and have no intention of shooting either one.

As difficult as it was to part with (shoot) a portion of those found, if one is going to do "comparative testing", then one should not attempt to do so with any of the new NORMA ammo.

However, the actual Italian rounds are quite similiar in structure to the WCC round, and can be easily utilized to determine if (which it does) a copper-jacketed Carcano bullet actually loses stability and begins to tumble in flight after having been fired through a 1-inch thick oak limb.

Do you ballistics guys know how or why and of any other examples of a bullet fragmenting like the one that hit JFK's head?

Thanks,

BK

Bill,

I really don't believe that bullet fragmented until after it left the head, and struck the chrome. That wound is a text book FMJ.

Do you consider the fragments in JFK's head immaterial, or insignificant?

How about those in Connaly's wrist and thigh?

Thanks!

Tom,

All good stuff!

Mike

Thanks,

BK

Bill,

Antti,

If what I have read is correct, the fragments in JBC are consistent with what would come from the base (bottom) of an open cored bullet. From what I understand their weight in totem was 1.5 grains.

Now the wounds to the head of JFK I believe come from a separate bullet. I also believe they are very small in nature and consistent with the loss from the base of a projectile. I read an article sometime ago that postulates that many of the fragments we see may actually be artifacts in the Xray and small bits of bone matter. I guess I can not refute nor prove what those are so I have to remain open.

Mike