The Education Forum

The Work of Dale Myers

I have no problem believing that J.D. stood for Jefferson Davis

I mean Tippit was born in Clarksville, Texas which was part of the Confederacy (Before JD was born obviously), so I dont think its a stretch that he was named after the hero of the Southern States

And I take strong esception to Dale Myers' insuniation that J.D. Tippit is "The man I love to hate," because hate is a very strong word and I have the highest regard and respect for all law enforcement officers, even those in the FBI, as my father was a policeman and detective in Camden, N.J., which has ranked as the most dangerous city in the USA. So why would I or anyone hate a policeman, especially one who was murdered in the line of duty. - Bill Kelly

http://jfkfiles.blogspot.com/2007/12/man-with-no-name.html

The Man With No Name

by DALE K. MYERS

I guess comedian Ron White was right. You can't fix stupid. It seems that some of the conspiracy folks who populate John Simkin's U.K. based Educational Forum just can't let a good yarn die no matter what the facts are.

Take one of the more recent discussions entitled "Jefferson Davis Tippit" in which a long dead factoid was resurrected by William "Bill" Kelly, who wrote:

"...nobody names anybody with a name or a nickname that doesn't stand for anything.

"If Jay Dee was his real and only name, then he had an uncle or a godfather or his father had a buddy in the service with that name or there was an instance that created a reason for him to be named J. D. and those initials stand for something. If not Jefferson Davis then John Doe, but not nothing.

"I understand that it is the Tippit family who says that Tippit was named JD and that it is not an abriviation for Jeff Davis, and the meaning might not be Jeff Davis, but it is, I can assure you, means something. And the family's reluctance to acknowledge or reveal what it means makes me even more suspicious of what it really does mean."

Uh? NEWSFLASH, Bill: The Tippit family told me eleven years ago that J.D.'s initials didn't stand for anything - certainly not, "Jefferson Davis," as conspiracy nutjobs on numerous conspiracy forums and websites keep insisting; essentially refusing to accept the truth. I printed the truth about J.D.'s name in my book With Malice: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Murder of Officer J.D. Tippit in 1998 - nearly ten years ago. The fact that you haven't had time to read my book sometime during the passed decade is understandable. You must be busy chasing down the big conspiracy.

If the information in my book wasn't enough, I learned from the Tippit family after the publication of my book, the complete story behind Tippit's naming and published that story at www.jdtippit.com, the official website dedicated to J.D. Tippit's memory. Here's what you'll find there regarding Tippit's name:

"Edgar and 'May Bug' named their first born son after a character in a book that Edgar had read about once. 'He use to read a little you know, when he was hunting,' J.D.'s brother Don recalled. 'He'd read a story about a guy named "J.D. of the Mountains," and gave him that name. Guess it fascinated him.' The initials, despite some claims over the years, never stood for anything."

So, what is so hard to understand?

I guess Bill and his fellow buffs are upset because they can't twist J.D. Tippit into some kind of a right-wing, neo-Nazi, Gestapo, boot-stomping, rebel named after confederate rebel Jefferson Davis. How inconvenient. It would be so much better for the conspiratii if Tippit was a no-good, backstabbing, s.o.b. who liked to gun down goofy little innocents like Oswald, right?

Too bad. I guess these inconvenient little facts just spoil everyone's good time. Maybe Bill and friends should stop fantasizing and actually read about the man they love to hate. (Gee, what a novel idea.) They might actually learn something.

I guess it's too much to expect the "Jefferson Davis" moniker to disappear from the vast wasteland of useless JFK assassination factoids. I can only hope that those interested in the truth about the assassination will come to realize that J.D. Tippit is the original Man With No Name.

Forty-five years of controversy and sorrow

http://jfkfiles.blogspot.com/2008/11/with-malice-tippit-murder-45-years.html

If Officer J.D. Tippit had died on any other day, Oswald’s conviction would have been swift and sure. The only reason we’re still talking about this senseless crime four and a half decades later is because of the other killing Oswald was involved in that day – the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Keeping the controversy and myths alive has become a parlor game for many, a reason to get together, attend conferences, post messages on the Internet, and ponder the many ways the various puzzle pieces might fit together.

For the Tippit family, it is a raw, open wound that will never completely heal.

Allegations that J.D. Tippit was part of a conspiracy to murder the president or kill Oswald are false and malicious and in no way recall the man his friends and family knew and remember. I wish I could say that they are spared the pain that such thoughtless and irresponsible notions cause. They are not.

In the wake of the publication of With Malice, I worked closely with the Tippit family to create a website that we hoped would help debunk some of the misinformation available elsewhere on the Internet and provide a true portrait of the boy from Clarksville, Texas, whose fun-loving spirit was extinguished so abruptly in 1963.

While the reaction to the website has been overwhelmingly warm and positive, there are the inevitable reminders that myths die hard.

One such myth that sprung up around the Tippit name was the falsehood that Officer Tippit’s initials “J.D.” stood for “Jefferson Davis” and that the Texas native had been named after the former West Point graduate who became the President and inspirational leader of the Confederate States during the American Civil War. Of course, those who hang this false moniker on J.D. Tippit don’t mean it as a compliment.

I was never able to pin down exactly how this began, but I did determine the truth of the matter and published it in With Malice. The family told me that Edgar Lee Tippit named his son after “J.D. of the Mountains,” a character in a book he had read once while on a hunting trip. The initials never stood for anything. In fact, it was rather common in the south and west, and has been for nearly 250 years, to name offspring using only initials.

One time, J.D. had trouble completing a credit application because the company insisted that a name, not initials, be used on the form. They ended up inserting “John” on J.D.’s behalf in order to fulfill their policy. At least one document in J.D.’s police file also uses this name. Neither document is evidence of his true name, which by all accounts was simply, J.D.

Despite the publication ten years ago of the truth about the origins of J.D.’s name, this silly myth continues to find an audience. Believe it or not, I spotted a website recently that treated the family’s explanation as just another unsubstantiated allegation.

It seems the myths and controversy will never end

Yea, Dale, only because people like you keep it confusing, and the Dallas PD failed to properly investigate the murder of their fellow officer and indict and convict the person or persons actually responsible for his murder. - BK

I mean Tippit was born in Clarksville, Texas which was part of the Confederacy (Before JD was born obviously), so I dont think its a stretch that he was named after the hero of the Southern States

And I take strong esception to Dale Myers' insuniation that J.D. Tippit is "The man I love to hate," because hate is a very strong word and I have the highest regard and respect for all law enforcement officers, even those in the FBI, as my father was a policeman and detective in Camden, N.J., which has ranked as the most dangerous city in the USA. So why would I or anyone hate a policeman, especially one who was murdered in the line of duty. - Bill Kelly

The Man With No Name

by DALE K. MYERS

I guess comedian Ron White was right. You can't fix stupid. It seems that some of the conspiracy folks who populate John Simkin's U.K. based Educational Forum just can't let a good yarn die no matter what the facts are.

Take one of the more recent discussions entitled "Jefferson Davis Tippit" in which a long dead factoid was resurrected by William "Bill" Kelly, who wrote:

"...nobody names anybody with a name or a nickname that doesn't stand for anything.

"If Jay Dee was his real and only name, then he had an uncle or a godfather or his father had a buddy in the service with that name or there was an instance that created a reason for him to be named J. D. and those initials stand for something. If not Jefferson Davis then John Doe, but not nothing.

"I understand that it is the Tippit family who says that Tippit was named JD and that it is not an abriviation for Jeff Davis, and the meaning might not be Jeff Davis, but it is, I can assure you, means something. And the family's reluctance to acknowledge or reveal what it means makes me even more suspicious of what it really does mean."

Uh? NEWSFLASH, Bill: The Tippit family told me eleven years ago that J.D.'s initials didn't stand for anything - certainly not, "Jefferson Davis," as conspiracy nutjobs on numerous conspiracy forums and websites keep insisting; essentially refusing to accept the truth. I printed the truth about J.D.'s name in my book With Malice: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Murder of Officer J.D. Tippit in 1998 - nearly ten years ago. The fact that you haven't had time to read my book sometime during the passed decade is understandable. You must be busy chasing down the big conspiracy.

If the information in my book wasn't enough, I learned from the Tippit family after the publication of my book, the complete story behind Tippit's naming and published that story at www.jdtippit.com, the official website dedicated to J.D. Tippit's memory. Here's what you'll find there regarding Tippit's name:

"Edgar and 'May Bug' named their first born son after a character in a book that Edgar had read about once. 'He use to read a little you know, when he was hunting,' J.D.'s brother Don recalled. 'He'd read a story about a guy named "J.D. of the Mountains," and gave him that name. Guess it fascinated him.' The initials, despite some claims over the years, never stood for anything."

I guess Bill and his fellow buffs are upset because they can't twist J.D. Tippit into some kind of a right-wing, neo-Nazi, Gestapo, boot-stomping, rebel named after confederate rebel Jefferson Davis. How inconvenient. It would be so much better for the conspiratii if Tippit was a no-good, backstabbing, s.o.b. who liked to gun down goofy little innocents like Oswald, right?

Too bad. I guess these inconvenient little facts just spoil everyone's good time. Maybe Bill and friends should stop fantasizing and actually read about the man they love to hate. (Gee, what a novel idea.) They might actually learn something.

I guess it's too much to expect the "Jefferson Davis" moniker to disappear from the vast wasteland of useless JFK assassination factoids. I can only hope that those interested in the truth about the assassination will come to realize that J.D. Tippit is the original Man With No Name.

If Officer J.D. Tippit had died on any other day, Oswald’s conviction would have been swift and sure. The only reason we’re still talking about this senseless crime four and a half decades later is because of the other killing Oswald was involved in that day – the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Keeping the controversy and myths alive has become a parlor game for many, a reason to get together, attend conferences, post messages on the Internet, and ponder the many ways the various puzzle pieces might fit together.

Allegations that J.D. Tippit was part of a conspiracy to murder the president or kill Oswald are false and malicious and in no way recall the man his friends and family knew and remember. I wish I could say that they are spared the pain that such thoughtless and irresponsible notions cause. They are not.

In the wake of the publication of With Malice, I worked closely with the Tippit family to create a website that we hoped would help debunk some of the misinformation available elsewhere on the Internet and provide a true portrait of the boy from Clarksville, Texas, whose fun-loving spirit was extinguished so abruptly in 1963.

While the reaction to the website has been overwhelmingly warm and positive, there are the inevitable reminders that myths die hard.

One such myth that sprung up around the Tippit name was the falsehood that Officer Tippit’s initials “J.D.” stood for “Jefferson Davis” and that the Texas native had been named after the former West Point graduate who became the President and inspirational leader of the Confederate States during the American Civil War. Of course, those who hang this false moniker on J.D. Tippit don’t mean it as a compliment.

I was never able to pin down exactly how this began, but I did determine the truth of the matter and published it in With Malice. The family told me that Edgar Lee Tippit named his son after “J.D. of the Mountains,” a character in a book he had read once while on a hunting trip. The initials never stood for anything. In fact, it was rather common in the south and west, and has been for nearly 250 years, to name offspring using only initials.

One time, J.D. had trouble completing a credit application because the company insisted that a name, not initials, be used on the form. They ended up inserting “John” on J.D.’s behalf in order to fulfill their policy. At least one document in J.D.’s police file also uses this name. Neither document is evidence of his true name, which by all accounts was simply, J.D.

Despite the publication ten years ago of the truth about the origins of J.D.’s name, this silly myth continues to find an audience. Believe it or not, I spotted a website recently that treated the family’s explanation as just another unsubstantiated allegation.

Yea, Dale, only because people like you keep it confusing, and the Dallas PD failed to properly investigate the murder of their fellow officer and indict and convict the person or persons actually responsible for his murder. - BK

Thanks Bill.

While you are all talking about the Tippit shooting and Myers.....

do one of you know where in can get my hands on the out of print "With Malice" from Myers

for a reasonable price?

I'am not willing to pay 300 and more for a used book:

http://www.amazon.com/Malice-Harvey-Oswald-Murder-Officer/dp/0966270975

Thank you forward.

Martin

Yankee types cannot understand "southern" naming practices. They want them to conform to THEIR beliefs.

I ran into this when I was in the Navy many years ago. When asked my name, I would say "Jack". "You mean

JOHN, don't you?" and they would proceed to record my name as JOHN. I would protest that my parents

named me JACK because they liked the name. "You gotta be kidding," the yankees would say. "Jack is a

nickname for John; NOBODY is named Jack!"

This shows the stubborn yankee-ness of those who refuse to believe that someone would be named "JD".

It was quite common in the south to call people by initials INSTEAD of names. I knew several JDs and BJs.

My middle initial is D, but I discouraged people from calling me JD. I like plain Jack.

Jack

BTW, when I constantly say "ABO" or Anybody But Oswald, I'm referring to the people who truly think Oswald didn't shoot Kennedy AND didn't shoot Tippit either.

Dave, the Warren Commission tells us that Oswald didn't shoot Kennedy or Tippit. :D

Lee

You cannot let facts like this get in the way of a good trolling .Dave lives in 1964 .and will support Gary Mack as long as they are on the same team.If Gary Mack ever leaves the sixth floor suppository we may see a change of view.

Ian

Yankee types cannot understand "southern" naming practices. They want them to conform to THEIR beliefs.

I ran into this when I was in the Navy many years ago. When asked my name, I would say "Jack". "You mean

JOHN, don't you?" and they would proceed to record my name as JOHN. I would protest that my parents

named me JACK because they liked the name. "You gotta be kidding," the yankees would say. "Jack is a

nickname for John; NOBODY is named Jack!"

This shows the stubborn yankee-ness of those who refuse to believe that someone would be named "JD".

It was quite common in the south to call people by initials INSTEAD of names. I knew several JDs and BJs.

My middle initial is D, but I discouraged people from calling me JD. I like plain Jack.

Jack

Yes Jack,

Us Yankees types understand that, but there was a reason for them to name you Jack, right?

Your father was named Jack, or he just liked the name Jack, or he knew someone he liked named Jack.

My beef with Dale Myers was that the name "J.D." meant something, and had a meaning and reason behind it.

He said at first that it meant nothing.

Well, his family said it did mean something. His father read and liked the book "J.D. and the Mountains," and that's

where the name "J.D." came from.

Now I've been unable to locate this specific book, but I suspect that it is a young adult's adventure or western book.

Anyone who can find information about it, it's publishers and author and subject matter would be appreciated.

BK

Edited by William Kelly

The Man With No Name

by DALE K. MYERS

Thanks Bill.

While you are all talking about the Tippit shooting and Myers.....

do one of you know where in can get my hands on the out of print "With Malice" from Myers

for a reasonable price?

I'am not willing to pay 300 and more for a used book:

http://www.amazon.com/Malice-Harvey-Oswald-Murder-Officer/dp/0966270975

Thank you forward.

Martin

Martin

Unless you get super lucky and find one at a garage sale you are going to have to pay $100s for "With Malice"

Just like most of the other rare out of print books on the assassination

I do not own "With Malice" but I do own most all of the expensive OOP books on the assassination

Soon after I posted the Dale Myers analysis on the Forum that well-known advocate of free discussion, Gary Mack, emailed the group to say what I had done. Dale Myers immediately complained to the moderators of the JFK group and Peter Dale Scott has asked me to remove his account from the forum. It seems that Dale Myers does not want his opinions discussed on the forum. He emailed me and demanded that I even removed the criticism of his ideas. I have refused to do that. However, I have deleted Dale Myers' account from the forum. You will have to go to his website if you are interested in his views on the subject.

John,

Myers has some control over his words via copyright protection though I think fair use would prevail - in any case he has absolutely no legal power to preclude discussing his ideas.

Ironic, since Pat has suggested an idea that extends Myers thoughts - but maybe that's the problem. Myers wouldn't like it if someone showed a simpler and more direct route to his convoluted conclusions.

Best to you,

Jerry

Well, I see John did remove the criticism of Dale Myers work from the forum. I think it should be reposted and discussed further, especially if he doesn't want it.

Using the lack of photo evidence to discredit the acoustic evidence doesn't hold water, as not everything was photographed and we just don't know what was happening where the cameras weren't pointed.

We do know however, that Dale Myers' book on the Tippit murder is intentionally deceptive, does not give an accurate account of the murder, does not even get into certain aspects that have proved to be important, and that his intention is not to develop the truth as to what really happened but to dismiss any conspiracy thinking.

Myers did the same thing to me when I posted a video presentation on Youtube that was critical of his work. He sent me several threatening emails, saying he was going to sue me and complained to Youtube to make them remove the video.

Myers did the same thing to me when I posted a video presentation on Youtube that was critical of his work. He sent me several threatening emails, saying he was going to sue me and complained to Youtube to make them remove the video.

Thats weak!

Todd or DVP should get in touch with Myers and have him join the Ed forum

That way I can make fun of him for all his silly copyright complaints

Thats weak!

Todd or DVP should get in touch with Myers and have him join the Ed forum

That way I can make fun of him for all his silly copyright complaints

The reason he complained was because he did not want his work questioned by experts on the Forum. He has made it clear on several occasions that he has no intention joining this forum. Other defenders of the Warren Report such as John McAdams and Gerald Posner have also refused the invitation to join. We only get their underlings on this forum.

• 1 month later...

Soon after I posted the Dale Myers analysis on the Forum that well-known advocate of free discussion, Gary Mack, emailed the group to say what I had done. Dale Myers immediately complained to the moderators of the JFK group and Peter Dale Scott has asked me to remove his account from the forum. It seems that Dale Myers does not want his opinions discussed on the forum. He emailed me and demanded that I even removed the criticism of his ideas. I have refused to do that. However, I have deleted Dale Myers' account from the forum. You will have to go to his website if you are interested in his views on the subject.

John,

Myers has some control over his words via copyright protection though I think fair use would prevail - in any case he has absolutely no legal power to preclude discussing his ideas.

Ironic, since Pat has suggested an idea that extends Myers thoughts - but maybe that's the problem. Myers wouldn't like it if someone showed a simpler and more direct route to his convoluted conclusions.

Best to you,

Jerry

Well, I see John did remove the criticism of Dale Myers work from the forum. I think it should be reposted and discussed further, especially if he doesn't want it.

Using the lack of photo evidence to discredit the acoustic evidence doesn't hold water, as not everything was photographed and we just don't know what was happening where the cameras weren't pointed.

We do know however, that Dale Myers' book on the Tippit murder is intentionally deceptive, does not give an accurate account of the murder, does not even get into certain aspects that have proved to be important, and that his intention is not to develop the truth as to what really happened but to dismiss any conspiracy thinking.

Don't be bullied by Myers' threats to sue.

Let him sue and I will get good attorneys to defend anybody who posts photos or articles for research purposes.

We need a court case to get new testimony under oath, and any kind of case will do.

http://jfkcountercoup.wordpress.com/the-tippit-murder-case/

BK

Edited by William Kelly

From what I understand, the private, closed email exchange group that John Simkin was once a member of is Paul Hoch's group.

Paul had a really good newsletter that accurately analysized the latest information when there were many new releases under the JFK Act.

With Peter Dale Scott and another person, Hock edited The Assassinations, one of the best and earliest anthologies of articles.

It's hard to believe however, that Hock would include people like David Von Pain, who admits that he doesn't read conspiracy books, Dave Reitzes, John McAdams, etc.,

and others who are set in their minds what happened and aren't going to change, no matter what new information is presented, and real researchers that are working

today.

Here's some of what Dale Myers didn't put in his book and he doesn't want you to know.

http://jfkcountercoup.wordpress.com/the-tippit-murder-case/

G. Kinston Clark's The Critical Historian, in which he writes:

“The distortion produced by bias are potentially present in any attempt to write history. Sometimes the danger is obvious and menacing, sometimes it is covert, coming from unexpected angles and in not easily detected forms. ….Any interpretation which makes use of facts which can be shown to be false, or accepts as certainty true facts which are dubious, or does not take into account facts which are known, are at best, potentially misleading, and possibly grossly, and dangerously deceptive. ….It is the first task of the historian to review any narrative to find what links are missing altogether…where what is defective cannot be supplied by further research, it is an historian’s duty to draw attention to the fact so that men can know where they stand.…Any historical conception which has not been adjusted to the most recent results will cease to be satisfactory.”

From what I understand, the private, closed email exchange group that John Simkin was once a member of is Paul Hoch's group.

Paul had a really good newsletter that accurately analysized the latest information when there were many new releases under the JFK Act.

With Peter Dale Scott and another person, Hoch edited The Assassinations, one of the best and earliest anthologies of articles.

It's hard to believe however, that Hoch would include people like David Von Pain, who admits that he doesn't read conspiracy books, Dave Reitzes, John McAdams, etc.,

and others who are set in their minds what happened and aren't going to change, no matter what new information is presented, and real researchers that are working

today.

Here are a few examples of Echoes of Conspiracy, Hoch's newsletter. I was a subscriber and remember how

eagerly I awaited each issue in order to keep abreast of developments. The internet sure has changed things.

http://www.skepticfiles.org/weird/eoc8-1.htm

http://www.skepticfiles.org/weird/eoc8-2.htm

http://www.skepticfiles.org/weird/eoc8-3.htm

http://www.skepticfiles.org/weird/eoc8-4.htm

http://www.skepticfiles.org/weird/eoc9-1.htm

http://www.skepticfiles.org/weird/eoc9-2.htm

http://www.skepticfiles.org/weird/eoc9-3.htm

Thanks so much for posting the links to back issues of EOC, Mike. For those of us who weren't subscribers, it's nice to be able to review that material now.

Btw, couldn't help but notice a decidedly "neo-con" tone in Hoch's comments. Considering how the critical community has shifted in that direction over the past few decades, maybe he was a real pathfinder.

Also liked the reference to Gary Mack's newsletter "Coverups." Wonder if he puts that on his resume?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's Dale Myers' latest attempt to debunk Don Thomas and the HSCA acoustics study.

http://www.jfkfiles.com/jfk/html/acoustics.htm

I remember vividly that when the HSCA acoustics team was asked what if they were told that the sounds they were studying were recorded at a different time and place, the answer was, something like "I would expect to go there and find a scene identical to Dealey Plaza."

And I wonder why none of the critiques of the acoutics don't address the acoustics, but rather the location of McClain or the motorcycles or the cross talk on the tape?

BK

Is there a definite study of the movements that Tippits killer made while shooting?