The Education Forum

Zapruder Frames

Robin Unger

Edited:

Over the weekend i downloaded Costella's Zip file containing the 486-Frames

I then spent most of the weekend adjusting the over color saturation on each individual frame.

I then spent the last two days " UPLOADING " all 486 - frames to my image galleries.

http://www.jfkassass...ls.php?album=92

Sample of color adjusted frames.

z081.jpg

z101.jpg

Edited by Robin Unger

Edited:

Over the weekend i downloaded Costella's Zip file containing the 486-Frames

I then spent most of the weekend adjusting the over color saturation on each individual frame.

I then spent the last two days " UPLOADING " all 486 - frames to my image galleries.

http://www.jfkassass...ls.php?album=92

Sample of color adjusted frames.

z081.jpg

z101.jpg

Nice work, Robin. But why do you say Costella OVERSATURATED the color?

I worked for many years with KODACHROME film. Kodachrome was known for intense color saturation (bright reds and yellows especially,

with blues and greens truer to natural.

What you have done looks good and MELLOW in color...but how do you know that your "corrections" match the characteristics of Kodachrome?

Nice work, anyway...but I think you should get Costella's explanation for what you call OVER SATURATION.

Jack

quote:

What you have done looks good and MELLOW in color...but how do you know that your "corrections" match the characteristics of Kodachrome?

Hi Jack

I never attemptedt to match exact Kodachrome film.

I much prefered Costella's original early frames.( the ones with the blue border ) to my eyes they had a very nice coloring .

I don't know why he changed that version, and replaced it with the new frames, perhaps you could ask him for me.

No other version of the z-frames have that color saturated look, MPI frames and the 6th floor museum Zapruder frames closer match the frames i posted, than the new costella frames

I'm sure that in the early days Costella must have thought the same way as i do, his earlier blue border frames, were much more pleasing to my eye.

Robin.

quote:

Hi Jack

I much prefered Costella's original early frames.( the ones with the blue border ) to my eyes they had a very nice coloring .

I don't know why he changed that version, and replaced it with the new frames, perhaps you could ask him for me.

No other version of the z-frames have that color saturated look, MPI frames and the 6th floor museum Zapruder frames closer match the frames i posted, than the new costella frames

I'm sure that in the early days Costella must have thought the same way as i do, his earlier blue border frames, were much more pleasing to my eye.

Robin.

Thanks, Robin. I am not "putting down" your work at all, and the coloration is not extremely important.

And we have NO way of knowing whether the color should be mellow or bright.

I do remember discussions with John where he said he thought the colors of the MPI version did not

match what he knew of Kodachrome. I will be glad to give you an email address for John if you want to

consult with him. He likely would be interested in your MELLOW version of his frames.

Jack

quote:

Hi Jack

Robin.

Thanks, Robin. I am not "putting down" your work at all, and the coloration is not extremely important.

I do remember discussions with John where he said he thought the colors of the MPI version did not

match what he knew of Kodachrome. I will be glad to give you an email address for John if you want to

consult with him. He likely would be interested in your MELLOW version of his frames.

Jack

I already sent the link to John yesterday. He was curious as to why you (Robin) "shifted the color back to MPI?"

Edited by Greg Burnham

quote:

Hi Jack

Robin.

Jack

I already sent the link to John yesterday. He was curious as to why you (Robin) "shifted the color back to MPI?"

Hi Greg.

In the end it comes down to the fact that i just find the MPI style of Zapruder Frames more pleasing to look at.

I guess it's just a personal preference thing.

Jack prefers the new Costalla frames.

That's OK

I WOULD be interested to know why John changed the coloring from the "blue border version" of the frames to the current style

Robin.

Hi Robin,

I just got this from John:

"In the original set (2002) I had masked out the edges and ghost panel shapes. That blue was my standard mask colour. But then I realised that by doing so I was preventing people from seeing the edges of the frames and the edges of the sprocket holes. So for the 2006 re-analysis I just left the rectangular ghost panels there. The registration was also much improved in the 2006 set.

Washing out the colour prevents people from noticing that there's no blood in the film except for those few painted-in blob frames around 313. Couldn't imagine why anyone would want to revert to that.

Cheers

J"

Thanks for the information.

I realize that John has put a lot of work into his frames and may feel slightly offended that i changed the appearance.

Frames z-310 to z-317 stabilized on kennedy and Jackie ( color comparison between the frames )

Two GIFs 1.3MB each

Animation4.gif

Animation3-2.gif

Edited by Robin Unger