The Education Forum

People solves the problem:

Greg Parker

What does or does not have legs?

Oswald was diagnosed with a "personality pattern disturbance" while at YH by Dr Hartogs. Hans Asperger referred to the syndrome bearing his name as a "personality disorder".

Research has since shown that because of crossover "symptoms" between personality disorders and AS, incorrect diagnosis is possible. As noted in another thread, Hartogs did not have the option of diagnosing AS as it was not recognized in the US.

Despite the battery of tests, apparent access to school records, and interviews with Oswald, one thing not diagnosed was dyslexia.

Never mind.

Everyone says he had it, so it must have legs and must be true.

Even People leaned towards him having it. How can you argue with that?

Was Lee Harvey Oswald dyslexic?

He certainly acted as if he had the behavioral manifestations of a learning disability—impulsiveness, inability to stick to a task, erratic behavior. Dyslexics face frustration and humiliation, and that can lead to trouble.

http://www.people.co...0077070,00.html

So what's the problem?

Apart from they got everything wrong about him in order to make the dyslexic claim - nothing it all.

Impulsive? He impulsively went to Russia... after 2 years in the planning

Inability to stick to a task... as demonstrated by memorizing the Marine manual back to front and the favorable report given to the WC about his work in the radar unit. Not to mention that even Roy Truly seemed to like his work ethic...

erratic behavior.... in some couples it's called trying to make ends meet... and the stress that puts on relationships. Or maybe what's being referenced is threatening to go and blow Nixon's head off (insert insane laughter) or waving a gun around in a foreign embassy in a foreign country... (and everyone knows that was Oswald... <wink, wink>)

Well, that all sounds like a solid case for dyslexia doesn't it? Hell, Based on that, he HAD to have it, surely?

The REALLY insane idea is that he had a condition which experts say can be mistaken for a condition that he was actually diagnosed as having. What was I thinking? I will go back on my meds, I promise. Then I will drink the Kool Aid.

Lee and/or Harvey had Dyslexia,Lee and/or Harvey had Dyslexia, Lee and/or Harvey had Dyslexia, Lee and/or Harvey had Dyslexia, Lee and/or Harvey had Dyslexia, Ommmmmmmm

-----------------------

On another front,

anyone going to step up and tell me who had Ottis Media -- Lee or "Harvey"?

Ok. I'm done. Where's my cup? Does it come in just Lime?

Edited by Greg Parker

Oswald was diagnosed with a "personality pattern disturbance" while at YH by Dr Hartogs. Hans Asperger referred to the syndrome bearing his name as a "personality disorder".

Research has since shown that because of crossover "symptoms" between personality disorders and AS, incorrect diagnosis is possible. As noted in another thread, Hartogs did not have the option of diagnosing AS as it was not recognized in the US.

Despite the battery of tests, apparent access to school records, and interviews with Oswald, one thing not diagnosed was dyslexia.

Never mind.

He certainly acted as if he had the behavioral manifestations of a learning disability—impulsiveness, inability to stick to a task, erratic behavior. Dyslexics face frustration and humiliation, and that can lead to trouble.

So what's the problem?

Apart from they got everything wrong about him in order to make the dyslexic claim - nothing it all.

Inability to stick to a task... as demonstrated by memorizing the Marine manual back to front and the favorable report given to the WC about his work in the radar unit. Not to mention that even Roy Truly seemed to like his work ethic...

erratic behavior.... in some couples it's called trying to make ends meet... and the stress that puts on relationships. Or maybe what's being referenced is threatening to go and blow Nixon's head off (insert insane laughter) or waving a gun around in a foreign embassy in a foreign country... (and everyone knows that was Oswald... <wink, wink>)

Well, that all sounds like a solid case for dyslexia doesn't it? Hell, Based on that, he HAD to have it, surely?

The REALLY insane idea is that he had a condition which experts say can be mistaken for a condition that he was actually diagnosed as having. What was I thinking? I will go back on my meds, I promise. Then I will drink the Kool Aid.

Lee and/or Harvey had Dyslexia,Lee and/or Harvey had Dyslexia, Lee and/or Harvey had Dyslexia, Lee and/or Harvey had Dyslexia, Lee and/or Harvey had Dyslexia, Ommmmmmmm

-----------------------

On another front,

Well, I certainly get your point, but are you referring to Otitis media with effusion, or serous or secretory otitis media. lol

Never mind.

So what's the problem?

-----------------------

On another front,

Well, I certainly get your point, but are you referring to Otitis media with effusion, or serous or secretory otitis media. lol

Yeah Robert. LOL.

My point is, going by what is in the records, rather than what is popularly "known" – especially when considering what has and has not got legs to stand on.

What is in the records is a diagnosis of a personality disorder. Asperger's Syndrome was regarded as a personality disorder by the person who it is named for.

What is not in the records is any diagnosis of dyslexia. Yet somehow that has legs and AS doesn't?

What is in the records is that the 5 year old who had a mastoidectomy had otitis media.

The 13 year old who appeared in Juvenile Court in New York had Otitis Media (So then we were asked to appear to court. I went into court with this attorney. And there, again, real fast we were in the courtroom and Lee was brought in, and Lee sat down by me. And I remember this distinctly, because Lee had ear trouble quite often. And I saw his ear running, and I said, "Lee, you are having an earache." And the judge heard me saying something to Lee. He said, "What did you tell your boy, Mrs. Oswald?"

I said, "Judge, I asked him if he had an earache.")

Otitis Media is noted in the Youth House Records.

Otitis Media is noted in the USMC records.

Otitis Media is noted in the Soviet Medical Records.

It was very clever of the CIA to plant this trail of ear problems making it look like one person.

I am not offended that it was stated that my ideas on these records have no legs. I know it was not meant to offend and really only voiced what the popular opinion seems to be.

It is that last part I find galling: that no one has the decency to look at the record and sort what really does have some support from extant sources and what is only held up by so much hot air.

Edited by Greg Parker

Never mind.

So what's the problem?

-----------------------

On another front,

My point is, going by what is in the records, rather than what is popularly "known" – especially when considering what has and has not got legs to stand on.

What is in the records is a diagnosis of a personality disorder. Asperger's Syndrome was regarded as a personality disorder by the person who it is named for.

What is not in the records is any diagnosis of dyslexia. Yet somehow that has legs and AS doesn't?

What is in the records is that the 5 year old who had a mastoidectomy had otitis media.

The 13 year old who appeared in Juvenile Court in New York had Otitis Media (So then we were asked to appear to court. I went into court with this attorney. And there, again, real fast we were in the courtroom and Lee was brought in, and Lee sat down by me. And I remember this distinctly, because Lee had ear trouble quite often. And I saw his ear running, and I said, "Lee, you are having an earache." And the judge heard me saying something to Lee. He said, "What did you tell your boy, Mrs. Oswald?"

It was very clever of the CIA to plant this trail of ear problems making it look like one person.

I am not offended that it was stated that my ideas on these records have no legs. I know it was not meant to offend and really only voiced what the popular opinion seems to be.

It is that last part I find galling: that no one has the decency to look at the record and sort what really does have some support from extant sources and what is only held up by so much hot air.

Greg, about the dyslexia. Did you ever read "Oswald's Tale" by Norman Mailer? In that book there are some samples of Oswald's writing at the back of the book. -- Had he gone to Catholic School with the nuns, they would have beaten the dyslexia out of him. But Mailer says his writings show a very intelligent guy with poor spelling and bad punctuation. Like I said, the nuns would get him to spell right. So Mailer doesn't believe Oswald suffered from dyslexia. If Oswald did, I would bet it was Harvey.

As for Aspergers. I think this was what Harvey may have had. The constantly talking about communism. Who knows? People think I am obsessed with the Kennedy Era and the assassination of John Kennedy. So maybe I have it! Maybe everyone here has it!

Kathy C

Never mind.

So what's the problem?

-----------------------

On another front,

Greg, about the dyslexia. Did you ever read "Oswald's Tale" by Norman Mailer? In that book there are some samples of Oswald's writing at the back of the book. -- Had he gone to Catholic School with the nuns, they would have beaten the dyslexia out of him. But Mailer says his writings show a very intelligent guy with poor spelling and bad punctuation. Like I said, the nuns would get him to spell right. So Mailer doesn't believe Oswald suffered from dyslexia. If Oswald did, I would bet it was Harvey.

As for Aspergers. I think this was what Harvey may have had. The constantly talking about communism. Who knows? People think I am obsessed with the Kennedy Era and the assassination of John Kennedy. So maybe I have it! Maybe everyone here has it!

Kathy C

Thanks for your thoughts Kathy. I did read Oswald's Tale, but quite a while ago now.

Edited by Greg Parker

If it helps any, my dad read somewhere that Oswald was often seen walking backwards.

Ron,

that claim is a peculiar little addendum to an entry in Who's Who in the Assassination for a Charlie Kurtz which states that Kurtz told Times-Picayune columnist, Angus Lind in 1991, that he evicted Oswald from the Magazine St apartment. The whole story is just pure BS... and then right at the end, we have the claim about Oswald's neighbors seeing him walking backwards. There is no citation for this and does not really seem to be part of the Kurtz story.

In any case, I had looked into all the neighbors some years ago and none told the FBI anything about walking backwards. With the usual amount of variation you'd expect, the picture they paint of Oswald in NO is one of someone in the habit of constantly wearing bathers and sitting on the lawn or porch reading. He was reportedly not very sociable, talked to his wife only in Russian and in very commandeering tones, occasionally breaking out into verbal and even physical abuse. His other main habit was apparently spraying the yard and under the house with huge amounts of pesticides.

And while on the subject of what they said... to a person, they all said they never saw him with any weapons.

If it helps any, my dad read somewhere that Oswald was often seen walking backwards.

Ron,

that claim is a peculiar little addendum to an entry in Who's Who in the Assassination for a Charlie Kurtz which states that Kurtz told Times-Picayune columnist, Angus Lind in 1991, that he evicted Oswald from the Magazine St apartment. The whole story is just pure BS... and then right at the end, we have the claim about Oswald's neighbors seeing him walking backwards. There is no citation for this and does not really seem to be part of the Kurtz story.

In any case, I had looked into all the neighbors some years ago and none told the FBI anything about walking backwards. With the usual amount of variation you'd expect, the picture they paint of Oswald in NO is one of someone in the habit of constantly wearing bathers and sitting on the lawn or porch reading. He was reportedly not very sociable, talked to his wife only in Russian and in very commandeering tones, occasionally breaking out into verbal and even physical abuse. His other main habit was apparently spraying the yard and under the house with huge amounts of pesticides.

And while on the subject of what they said... to a person, they all said they never saw him with any weapons.

PS Do you remember, the guy in New Orleans who said he saw Oswald walking backwards down the street, also said he found weapons in the....I guess Magazine Street address, after the Oswald's vacated it? It's on a thread here somewhere.....

Kind of, more of the same........I suppose

Cheers

.....Sorry; I don't recall the guy who claimed to see Oswald walking backwards or anything about anyone finding weapons in the abandoned apartment.

An Unfounded Observation about Lee Oswald?

I have read many allegations about Lee Harvey Oswald, many true and some utterly ridiculous. Regarding the latter, there is the example that he was a "card carrying member of the Communist Party." Even being a member of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee, is not the same a being a member of the Communist Party.

Which leads me to the following allegation made by Charlie Kertz. It is an extremely important allegation, for reasons that will become obvious after reading the following.....From Benson's Who's Who in the JFK Assassination.

SOURCE: HSCA Report 65.6 KERTZ, CHARLIE, Oswald witness; founder of the New Orleans Charlie's Saints Marching Band. Kertz was the deputy constable who, in 1963, evicted Oswald from his apartment at 4907 Magazine Street. Kertz said to New Orleans Times-Picayune columnist Angus Lind in 1991. "It was a Friday afternoon, and it was very unusual to evict someone on a Friday afternoon.” According to Lind, "Kertz said he confronted Oswald with the order to evict, showed him his credentials and told him to get his personal belongings out of the furnished apartment; otherwise they would be placed on the sidewalk, routine eviction procedure." "The guy was so weird," said Kertz. "He didn't say a word. There was a woman with him who had a child. He came down the steps, took a right, and headed toward Audubon Park." After that, Kertz never saw him again. According to Lind, "[Kertz] and another constable went in, put a baby bed and some clothes on the sidewalk, then opened a closet and found three rifles. They unloaded them and put them out on the sidewalk. They then removed about 30 paperbacks from the closet. . . .and underneath them were two handguns, which they unloaded and put under the mattress of the baby bed. Kertz said he figured Oswald was “some kind of hunter.” Neighbors of Oswald’s when he lived at the Magazine Street apartment in New Orleans remember him as an odd duck. There are reports Oswald was often seen walking backwards.

Re the above there are 0 hits when searching Charlie Kertz, at NARA same goes for Angus Lind at NARA

Re the above there are 80 hits when searching New Orleans Times Picayune at NARA see below

http://www.nara.gov/cgi-bin/starfinder/27884/jfksnew.txt

.....I searched the HSCA Final Report Section 65.6, as mentioned above and did not find any reference to Lind or Kertz.......

The link Robert provided did not work for me.

It's just a link to NARA so you can search for yourself.

But you won't find anything. Not even under his correctly spelled name of Kurtz.

http://www.nola.com/...eward_fans.html

Oswald was not evicted by anyone. And according to one of our resident experts on NO, the description he gave of the apartment was all wrong. Kurtz is a complete waste of time.

.....I searched the HSCA Final Report Section 65.6, as mentioned above and did not find any reference to Lind or Kertz.......

Try google books, but unless you have the Lind interview, all you are going to see is what I already posted. I transcribed my copy

from a newspaper article, and the link I provided never implied it was the page where it could be found. If you read what I wrote,

it says the NARA SEARCH Results.......

page 235, Who's who in the JFK assassination: an A-to-Z encyclopedia By Michael Benson

the references to Charlie Kertz, are in HSCA Report 65:6

and if your able the New Orleans Time Picayune the August Lind 1991 interview of Charlie Kertz

BTW Greg, I wasn't trying to be a comedian, I sort of understood what you were stating, but I couldn't quite figure it all out until your last post.

I would hope that in all the time we've known each other, you would realize the last thing I would do is ridicule your research, I have no doubt you are right.

Your initial post was just a little too ambiguous for me, I just needed a little background....

But Mailer says his writings show a very intelligent guy with poor spelling and bad punctuation.

I've taught Composition at HS and college levels, and - while I am very far from an expert in dyslexia - I've never seen anything in Oswald's handwriting or transcribed writing that would differ from this assessment. The spelling and punctuation errors are surprising for a known "reader" - but Scott Fitzgerald was a serial misspeller, too.

I suspect that the discrepancy between the "voracious reader" image and the spelling errors is part of the "Dyslexic!" judgment.

Edited by David Andrews

Try google books, but unless you have the Lind interview, all you are going to see is what I already posted. I transcribed my copy

from a newspaper article, and the link I provided never implied it was the page where it could be found. If you read what I wrote,

page 235, Who's who in the JFK assassination: an A-to-Z encyclopedia By Michael Benson

and if your able the New Orleans Time Picayune the August Lind 1991 interview of Charlie Kertz

BTW Greg, I wasn't trying to be a comedian, I sort of understood what you were stating, but I couldn't quite figure it all out until your last post.

I would hope that in all the time we've known each other, you would realize the last thing I would do is ridicule your research, I have no doubt you are right.

Your initial post was just a little too ambiguous for me, I just needed a little background....

Robert,

The guys correct name is Charlie Kurtz and there is no reference to him in the HSCA. What you are referring to is a reference for the PREVIOUS entry in Benson's book. The sole reference is in Kurtz' alleged interview with Lind -- and what he allegedly said is a load of cobblers.

Robert, I don't mind you joking around. Nor do I mind anyone doubting my research. What I DO mind is what some people use by way of sources and debating methods to cast doubt on it.

But Mailer says his writings show a very intelligent guy with poor spelling and bad punctuation.

I've taught Composition at HS and college levels, and - while I am very far from an expert in dyslexia - I've never seen anything in Oswald's handwriting or transcribed writing that would differ from this assessment. The spelling and punctuation errors are surprising for a known "reader" - but Scott Fitzgerald was a serial misspeller, too.

I suspect that the discrepancy between the "voracious reader" image and the spelling errors is part of the "Dyslexic!" judgment.

David, people with dyslexia usually avoid reading due to the problems associated with the disorder.

Most pupils acquire the skills of reading and writing with comparative ease. The dyslexic child, because of his/her learning difficulties, will struggle to make progress when taught these skills by normal established methods.

http://www.dyslexia-testing.com.au/wordpress/2006/12/reading-and-spelling-with-dyslexia/

This does not hold with Asperger's. They can have trouble spelling, but be voracious readers, especially in subjects of interest. See for example, The Complete Guide to Asperger Syndrome by Tony Attwood.

Robert, it was really just an off-handed remark by me. The purpose of my post was to show the information contained in your June 26, 2008 post and

the exchange you and Greg had back in June of this year. My interest in the subject matter didn't extend much beyond that.

I did realize what part of your post came from Benson's book.

I did read what you wrote and I expected to see the 80 NARA hits for New Orleans Times Picayune. That didn't happen. The only reason I mentioned it was

in case you were reading and wanted to expand on what your search back in 2008 showed.

David, people with dyslexia usually avoid reading due to the problems associated with the disorder.

Most pupils acquire the skills of reading and writing with comparative ease. The dyslexic child, because of his/her learning difficulties, will struggle to make progress when taught these skills by normal established methods.

http://www.dyslexia-testing.com.au/wordpress/2006/12/reading-and-spelling-with-dyslexia/

This does not hold with Asperger's. They can have trouble spelling, but be voracious readers, especially in subjects of interest. See for example, The Complete Guide to Asperger Syndrome by Tony Attwood.

Right. I was in a hurry, and forgot the Asperger's diagnosis.