The Education Forum

Howard Hunt interview

wim,

yes and he also dodges the reference to his case with mark lane (indirectly).

I was reading hunts biography in which he describes the events leading up to the death of his wife, in a footnote he remarks that his wife took out $250,000 worth of travel insurance payable to him right before she got on the flight.

has anyone else heard anything of this?

john

Wim,

its on the very last page of the chapter about the death of his wife, I will head to the library in a few minutes after my lecture and get the exact page reference. I also found a few photos with hunt in WW2 and him skiing with a buddy and a few other pictures, including him meeting with eisenhower in south america

john

Wim,

Here are the exact details. The book he wrote was called 'Undercover- memoirs of an american secret agent'

It was copyrighted in 1974 and the british print was made in 1975, The publishers were W.H.Allen of London.

Here are the lines in the book that the footnote refers to.

'We kissed, and a skycap took her bags. From the curb she turned and waved at me and I waved back. I saw hewr enter the doors of the airlines ticket office'*

footnote * 'Where, I later learned ,she purchased $250,000 in flight insurance payable to me'

Very interesting indeed, I havent heard this mentioned before, I would be interested to know if this was republished and if that footnote was included, also was it in the american version of the book.

John

indeed,

its very puzzling, i cant seem to work that one out, in the same chapter he continually complains about not getting financial support from the govt for legal fees with regard to watergate , he received an envelope with $40,000 in it a while earlier. What purpose would it serve for her to buy the insurance. Unless someone else bought the insurance in her name

john

The reference to 250k in insurance is indeed in the American version of the book. I've seen it theorized elsewhere--I can't remember just where--that Hunt convinced her to buy the insurance and then had her killed...as she'd learned a little too much, kinda like Martha Mitchell. (Maybe this was on Weberman's site somewhere...) Anyhow, I don't buy it. While Hunt may have been ruthless for the cause--the cause of the right-- I don't see him as being THAT ruthless.

I haven't flown in years, but I remember flying somewhere in the 1960s and buying flight insurance before I got on the plane. It was inexpensive and quick, kind of like buying a pack of gum, and a nice windfall for the family if something happened. Indeed it was my impression that it was common practice, as cheap as it was. Maybe not, I wasn't a frequent flyer and didn't like to fly. But I don't see anything puzzling about it.

Ron,

€250,000 was a huge amount of money and still is, I too do not believe the theory that he bunked her off but it is extremely strange to get insurance for this sum of money, perhaps if jerry dealey is a member of this forum he can advise us on the insurance business in which he is involved.

john

Edited by John Geraghty

Here is an a very recent interview with e howard hunt of watergate fame, also a possible conspirator in dallas, he is probed about dave philips, che guevara and guatemala.

http://www.slate.com/id/2107718/#ContinueArticle

john

One part of this interview I found interesting, where he says his neighbor thought he was gay because of all the men coming and going. Mr. "X" told the same story in the interview in Controversy magazine. "X" also said that he would tell all about his part in the JFK assassination for $14 million. The author of the Controversy article also interviewed Hunt for Cigar Afficionado. "X" is obviously Howard Hunt.

Stanley Kutlers recent book "abuse of power:the new Nixon tapes" states (p 180) that Dorothy Hunt had taken out "$225,000 in flight insurance without a stipulated beneficiary" when she died in the Chicago plane crash. We used to stick 10 quarters in a machine in the airport for insurance, not unusual. Without a beneficiary, the plan paid the surviving spouse.....speculation centers on this a possible "stern warning" to Hunt not to spill the beans on what he knew about JFK now that the pressure was on about the Watergate. Also, conspiracists see something in the 1972-73 appointment of a Watergate figure as national air safety executive ... i believe the NATSB went to Egil Krogh as a way to reward/protect/silence him...so a White House Operator was the new federal air crash inspector...probably a coincidence. Nixon says on tape 12/11/72: "do they have any reading yet on the traceability of that $10,000 bag?" that says it all...

CAN YOU imagine Howard Hunt going to the Chicago police to retrieve a satchel with ten grand in cash? This all ties in with the MCCORD thread--- and the Nixon impeachment really hinged on this hush money. What I want to know is, what was in Hunt's White House safe that John Dean gave to Pat Gray-- and Pat Gray (new FBI director) DESTROYED....? We know the safe had a pistol, some forged State Department telexs about the Diem assassination, and notebooks---was this the JFK plan? Blackmail material? We know about the cash, what about the CACHE?

SHANET

wim,

I was reading hunts biography in which he describes the events leading up to the death of his wife, in a footnote he remarks that his wife took out $250,000 worth of travel insurance payable to him right before she got on the flight.

john

Edited by Shanet Clark

• 2 weeks later...
Stanley Kutlers recent book "abuse of power:the new Nixon tapes" states (p 180) that Dorothy Hunt had taken out "$225,000 in flight insurance without a stipulated beneficiary" when she died in the Chicago plane crash.  We used to stick 10 quarters in a machine in the airport for insurance, not unusual.  Without a beneficiary, the plan paid the surviving spouse.....speculation centers on this a possible "stern warning" to Hunt not to spill the beans on what he knew about JFK now that the pressure was on about the Watergate.  Also, conspiracists see something in the 1972-73 appointment of a Watergate figure as national air safety executive ... i believe the NATSB went to Egil Krogh as a way to reward/protect/silence him...so a White House Operator was  the new federal air crash inspector...probably a coincidence.  Nixon says on tape 12/11/72: "do they have any reading yet on the traceability of that $10,000 bag?"  that says it all...

CAN YOU imagine Howard Hunt going to the Chicago police to retrieve a satchel with ten grand in cash? This all ties in with the MCCORD thread--- and the Nixon impeachment really hinged on this hush money.  What I want to know is, what was in Hunt's White House safe that John Dean gave to Pat Gray-- and Pat Gray (new FBI director) DESTROYED....?  We know the safe had a pistol, some forged State Department telexs about the Diem assassination, and notebooks---was this the JFK plan? Blackmail material? We know about the cash, what about the CACHE?

SHANET

wim,

john

Re Dorothy Hunt's purchase of $250,000 of insurance before her 1/8/72 plane crash, Carl Oglesby in "The Yankee and Cowboy War" refers to this purchace on p. 237. The first person to heavily cover the account of this palne crash is an American self described "muckraker" named Sherman Slolnick, who also states that the Hunt's made this purchase. (His stuff is also online I bleieve).

I remember the day that crash happned and just by seeing Nixon's three aids Butterfield, Krough and Chapin leave their White House posts, within days for positions at United Airlines and FAA it was so clear to me that this plane was sabataged. Just from reading the paper. This was before I had read a single JFK assination book. (But 73 would change all that!)

Dawn Meredith

Stanley Kutlers recent book "abuse of power:the new Nixon tapes" states (p 180) that Dorothy Hunt had taken out "$225,000 in flight insurance without a stipulated beneficiary" when she died in the Chicago plane crash.  We used to stick 10 quarters in a machine in the airport for insurance, not unusual.  Without a beneficiary, the plan paid the surviving spouse.....speculation centers on this a possible "stern warning" to Hunt not to spill the beans on what he knew about JFK now that the pressure was on about the Watergate.  Also, conspiracists see something in the 1972-73 appointment of a Watergate figure as national air safety executive ... i believe the NATSB went to Egil Krogh as a way to reward/protect/silence him...so a White House Operator was  the new federal air crash inspector...probably a coincidence.  Nixon says on tape 12/11/72: "do they have any reading yet on the traceability of that $10,000 bag?"  that says it all...

CAN YOU imagine Howard Hunt going to the Chicago police to retrieve a satchel with ten grand in cash? This all ties in with the MCCORD thread--- and the Nixon impeachment really hinged on this hush money.  What I want to know is, what was in Hunt's White House safe that John Dean gave to Pat Gray-- and Pat Gray (new FBI director) DESTROYED....?  We know the safe had a pistol, some forged State Department telexs about the Diem assassination, and notebooks---was this the JFK plan? Blackmail material? We know about the cash, what about the CACHE?

SHANET

wim,

john

Re Dorothy Hunt's purchase of $250,000 of insurance before her 1/8/72 plane crash, Carl Oglesby in "The Yankee and Cowboy War" refers to this purchace on p. 237. The first person to heavily cover the account of this palne crash is an American self described "muckraker" named Sherman Sklolnick, who also states that the Hunt's made this purchase. (His stuff is also online I bleieve).

I remember the day that crash happned and just by seeing Nixon's three aids Butterfield, Krough and Chapin leave their White House posts, within days for positions at United Airlines and FAA it was so clear to me that this plane was sabataged. Just from reading the paper. This was before I had read a single JFK assination book. (But 73 would change all that!)

Dawn Meredith