The Education Forum

Redlich 4/27/64 memo: where is original?

I am looking for a screen capture of the original memo which appears the following link:

http://ratical.org/ratville/JFK/PG/PGappD.html

Can anyone point me to a link, or upload the screen capture?

Your help would be greatly appreciated . . .

Few of the WC's internal memos are available on the Mary Ferrell website. Many of the more interesting ones, however, were photocopied and published by Harold Weisberg in his books, and can be found on the Weisberg Archives website. You might want to search there. I took a quick look through the Redlich file in the Wesiberg Subject Index files section, but was unable to find it.

Yes, I tried there also, with no luck. Also the Armstrong archive. It is amazing how many books have referred to this memo, but not one has ever furnished a footnote that tells you how to locate the original.

Anyway, thank you very much for your effort, Pat.

I'm 90% positive I saw the original in one of Weisberg's books, but just looked through Post Mortem and was unable to find it. Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I typed it up when I added it into chapter 3b of my website, but can't remember where I saw the original.

If you haven't looked at the memos in chapter 3b, by the way, you might want to take a look. I put a number of them in chronological order and interspersed them with some executive session testimony to show how the Warren Commission's staff came to reject the "official" stories of the SS and FBI, only to embrace something nearly as wacky, the single-bullet theory.

Edited by Pat Speer

Thanks, Pat. By the way, this is off-topic, but I want to compliment you on your excellent work on Dale Myers deconstruction: very well detailed and very useful. To those of you out there who have not read it, I highly recommend it.

Thank you too, Martin, that will definitely get me on the right track.

Yes, I tried there also, with no luck. Also the Armstrong archive. It is amazing how many books have referred to this memo, but not one has ever furnished a footnote that tells you how to locate the original.

Hi Barry,

The April 27, 1964 Memorandum from Redlich to Rankin is at NARA. Its current status is listed as Postponed in Full.

http://www.nara.gov/cgi-bin/starfinder/3580/jfksnew.txt?action=toyez-8bQzxEL8XBOgeYHKYJehaV5dxSNnUEGK5Sr

Of course that link you posted was taken from the appendix of Howard Roffman's Presumed Guilty. And that's available in PDF form at your website.

NARA also houses the Rankin Papers. His Warren Commission stuff is beyond fascinating. He kept copies of memoranda and I wouldn't be surprised if it were there.

Edited to add: I just saw Martin's post. He and I did the same thing, refer to McKnight's great book.

Edited by Michael Hogan

Very solid information, Michael. What I think is interesting is that while McKnight says that the memo is in box 34, the link that you posted says that it is in box 70. Odd. Maybe the same memo is in two separate places.

I just find it amazing the amount of work I have to do just to find the original documents which ought to exist in digital form accessible only a mouseclick away.

Very solid information, Michael. What I think is interesting is that while McKnight says that the memo is in box 34, the link that you posted says that it is in box 70. Odd. Maybe the same memo is in two separate places.

I just find it amazing the amount of work I have to do just to find the original documents which ought to exist in digital form accessible only a mouseclick away.

I just reread Martin's reference. McKnight found it in the Rankin papers. My NARA link was to a different section. It would be interesting if the copy in Rankin's papers was not postponed in full. I suspect it is not.

Dollar to a donut that Roffman got the memo used in his appendix from Weisberg.

Edit: See Folder 443; http://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/finding-aids/rankin-records.html

Edited by Michael Hogan

I am looking for a screen capture of the original memo which appears the following link:

http://ratical.org/ratville/JFK/PG/PGappD.html

Can anyone point me to a link, or upload the screen capture?

Your help would be greatly appreciated . . .

I have this memo, the NARA slug is dated 6-1-95, NARA initials look like "J.J." and notes, "RELEASED PER P.L. 102-526 (JFK ACT)" ...

I've had this and the other memos following the two day Z-film studies since 1995.

Other than that slug at the top, it is a 2 page document on plain white paper (8-1/2 x 14"). It carries no other markings.

I would be happy to upload a copy, but after a complete computer crash, I am just now getting things together on my new computer and all files and programs have not yet been loaded, recovered, etc. Hopefully, by weekend's end, all will be complete and ready to roll ... then I can get a copy to you if you'd like.

Bests,

Barb :-)

Edited by Barb Junkkarinen