The Education Forum

2703 Mercedes St. in Fort Worth

Just travelled through Dallas and Fort Worth, went to every place related to Kennedy and Oswald. There will be more on my trip later, when I upload photos and stories.

I could not find one location: 2703 Mercedes Street in Fort Worth, where Oswald lived shortly in 1962.

While riding through Fort Worth I easily found houses/appartments that once belonged to Robert and Marguerite Oswald. But I could not find the address of Lee/Marina/June once they found their first own house, after living with Robert in june/july 1962. Is it 2703 Mercedes Street? Of Mercedes Avenue? And in what suburb? Benbrook? Or another one?

On the internet, several conflicting answers have been given. The address played a role in Stephen Kings book 11/22/1963, but he was confused to, mixing things up.

Can someone send the URL of Google Maps with the exact location? I am curious on how the location looks like, 50 years later.

Thanks!!

Perry Vermeulen

Here's what I got at BING Maps [and they called it Mercedes AVENUE]: http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH2#Y3A9MzguMjIxNTMxfi04NS42NzU3NTgmbHZsPTQmc3R5PXImcT0yNzAzJTI1MjBNZXJjZWRlcyUyNTIwU3RyZWV0JTI1MkMlMjUyMEZvcnQlMjUyMFdvcnRoJTI1MkMlMjUyMFRY

You'll likely have to copy and paste that link...or not.

Edited by Mark Knight

From another Forum

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4654

Ron Payne: Now being a resident of the south end of Fort Worth, I find myself emminently qualified to quote its history... OK, maybe not, but an interesting bit of trivia - Lee Harvey Oswald lived at 2703 Mercedes St. in Fort Worth from about July to October of 1962, before moving on to his appointment with history. Looking at Google street view, it appears to be a nice house on the property now, but it was apparently a run down duplex at the time he lived there with his wife.

more....: Mercedes Avenue in Fort Worth, or Mercedes Street in Benbrook?

That would be 2703 Mercedes Ave., right by Montgomery Plaza. Currently a vacant lot with just an old driveway apron.

• 6 years later...
On 9/25/2013 at 5:18 PM, Robert Howard said:

From another Forum

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4654

Ron Payne: Now being a resident of the south end of Fort Worth, I find myself emminently qualified to quote its history... OK, maybe not, but an interesting bit of trivia - Lee Harvey Oswald lived at 2703 Mercedes St. in Fort Worth from about July to October of 1962, before moving on to his appointment with history. Looking at Google street view, it appears to be a nice house on the property now, but it was apparently a run down duplex at the time he lived there with his wife.

more....: Mercedes Avenue in Fort Worth, or Mercedes Street in Benbrook?

That would be 2703 Mercedes Ave., right by Montgomery Plaza. Currently a vacant lot with just an old driveway apron.

In July of 1962 - according the the info I have - Oswald and Marina were at 1501 W 7th the ROTARY APTS

"Marguerite" then returned to Fort Worth and rented apartment #101 at the Rotary Apartments, 1501 W. 7th. T he manager of the apartments, Mr. L. R. Huffman, remembered that
'Marguerite" worked regularly as a practical nurse.

The MERCEDES in Ft. Worth is indeed a vacant lot with driveway apron...  2703 Mercedes in Benbrook does not exist...  1420 Mercedes is the largest numbered address...

Looking at the time period from a H&L POV... Lee "appears" to have been in Louisiana training at Lake Ponchartrain where FERRIE and ARACIA SMITH set up a camp and armed the recruits...   the Lake is directly between 120 N Telemachus and 600 W 24th...

1961 while Our Ozzie is in Minsk: from H&L
Fred Leemans, and his employees at Canal Street Baths, were witnesses to Lee Oswald's presence in New Orleans in 1961 and his friendship with Clay Shaw, aka Clay Bertrand.

July 1962:
Betty Parrott, the girlfriend of CIA Agent William Dalzell, recalled that several
waiters at the Court of Two Sister's Restaurant on Bourbon Street knew Lee Oswald. T hey remembered that he resided in a small apartment above the restaurant which was sometimes used as a storeroom. Leander D' Avy was the doorman at the Court of Two Sisters and had worked there for two years after retiring from 20 years service in the US Air Force. In June 1962 a young man walked in and asked D'Avy if Clay Bertrand worked at the restaurant (Clay Bertrand was an alias used by New Orleans businessman Clay Shaw). T he night manager, Gene Davis, overheard the conversation and told D' Avy that he wanted to talk to the young man.

One evening D'Avy visited the Show Bar and noticed Lee Oswald sitting at one of the tables. He also looked across the room and saw Jim lvey ("Tiger Jim") talking to Clay Bertrand (Clay Shaw). Ivey, a former professional boxer who worked at the ElMorocco Bar in the French Quarter, confronted D'Avy and began punching him. A Cuban refugee named "Pepe" intervened and asked Ivey what had happened. lvey replied, "He (D'Avy ) knows about us."62 lvey was concerned that D'Avy had overheard a conversation between himself and his CIA contact, Clay Bertrand (Clay Shaw). The significance of Leander D'avy's testimony is that it places Lee Oswald in New Orleans in the summer of 1962 while Harvey Oswald was in Fort Worth.