The Education Forum

Proof that a Minox camera was in Paine's garage

Ray Mitcham

The following photo of the equipment removed from Ruth Paine's garage shows a Minox camera under the empty case. The chain that is always attached to the camera for measuring purposes is also to be seen.

inventory2_zps3091f075.gif

Looks like the FBI were telling Porkies! (again)

minoxfound_zpsebc9f184.jpg[/url]

Edited by Ray Mitcham

Is the Minox camera in the yellow circle? I don't know what I am a looking at.

Sorry, Robert, I should have made myself more clear. Yes, the camera is inside the yellow circle, lying directly under the empty case and lying in the same direction as the case with just the narrow silver base of the camera showing. Also shown is the camera chain which is always attached to the camera, both as a safety chain and to be used to measure the distance of an object from the lens.

Edited by Ray Mitcham

[deleted]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ray,

Sorry, but I don't see the camera under the case, and it looks like the measuring chain is connected to the case.

--Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

[deleted]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ray,

Is the camera still inside the case, or is the case empty? It looks like the measuring chain is connected to the near end of the case.

Tommy, I don't wish to be unkind, but in both of my above posts, I said under the case. With a Minox, the chain is attached to the camera thru' the end of the camera case. It is never attached to the camera case itself.

[deleted]

Ray,

Is the camera still inside the case, or is the case empty? It looks like the measuring chain is connected to the near end of the case.

Tommy, I don't wish to be unkind, but in both of my above posts, I said under the case. With a Minox, the chain is attached to the camera thru' the end of the camera case. It is never attached to the camera case itself.

Ray,

Well, I don't mean to be unkind either, but I did edit my post before you posted this. (See post # 4.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fast-forwarding to the present, here's an even newer comment!:

I think you're mistaking the graphic design of that part of the linoleum floor for the camera body.

And here's a new question, too!:

If, as you say, the chain is always connected to the camera, then what's the star-shaped piece of metal on the end of the case for?

Thank you,

Edited by Thomas Graves

[deleted]

Ray,

Ray,

Well, I don't mean to be unkind either, but I did edit my post before you posted this. (See post # 4.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fast-forwarding to the present, here's an even newer comment!:

I think you're mistaking the graphic design of that part of the linoleum floor for the camera body.

And here's a new question, too!:

If, as you say, the chain is always connected to the camera, then what's the star-shaped piece of metal on the end of the case for?

Thank you,

If you think the camera under the case is the design of the lino, that's your choice. I can't agree as if I did it would make us both wrong.

Edited by Ray Mitcham

I don't know what model it was (maybe Ray knows?) but I concur that on all the ones I've ever seen the chain is connected to the camera, not the case.

Example from ebay (zoomable pic):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-MINOX-B-SUBMINIATURE-ESPIONAGE-CAMERA-Silver-Spy-Leather-Case-Chain/380728681545?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D1539177441760753109%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D171134174877%26

(sorry about the "monster" link)

I don't know what model it was (maybe Ray knows?) but I concur that on all the ones I've ever seen the chain is connected to the camera, not the case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-MINOX-B-SUBMINIATURE-ESPIONAGE-CAMERA-Silver-Spy-Leather-Case-Chain/380728681545?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D261%26meid%3D1539177441760753109%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D171134174877%26

Hi Chris. Sorry I have no idea what the model was. I also have only ever seen the chain attached to a camera, but maybe there some that don't and the chain attaches to the camera case instead. Maybe I should have added "IMO" to my statement that the chain is "always attached to the camera".

Edited by Ray Mitcham

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris. Sorry I have no idea what the model was. I also have only ever seen the chain attached to a camera, but maybe there some that don't and the chain attaches to the camera case instead. Maybe I should have added "IMO" to my statement that the chain is "always attached to the camera".

Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:03 PM

To: info@XXXXXXXX.com

Subject: Is this a Minox case?

Marty,

Could you please tell me if this is a Minox case, and if so, which model it was made for?

Also, was it normal for the chain to be attached to the case?

inventory2_zps3091f075.gif

Thank you,

--Thomas Graves

(San Diego, CA)

His response:

It is a Minox case, for the Model A (II/III/IIIs). The chain is supposed to go through the case grommet and stays with the case, yes. I hope that helps.

-Marty

(red emphasis added to this post by T. Graves on 10/09/13)

Edited by Thomas Graves