The Education Forum

Five most important reasons there was a conspiracy

Tim Gratz

1) Oswald's alibi of being in the domino room is supported by Fritz's notes, and the testimony of Holmes, and two or three TSBD employees.

That's all that's needed really. Strong, corroborated evidence that Oswald could not have been a shooter.

But I'll add four more just for the hell of it:

2) No mention of Hidell until Saturday... including in any of the reports of the officers who travelled back to City Hall with him.

3) Ruby's movement's/behaviour over that weekend.

4) Baker in his first statement describing an encounter with a suspect on the 3rd or 4th floor who matched the description of one seen by Rowland rather that of Oswald - despite the fact that Oswald was sitting in te same room as he made that statement. He also failed to mention in the statement that the suspect was the same person now being questioned.

5) Pre-assassination statements by Milteer, Dinkin and others predicting with some precision, the Dealey Plaza ambush.

Could probably come up with 50 of these, and between us, we may well do just that.

As for counter-arguments... I wouldn't bother with Posner or McAdams. We all should be able to come up with our own counter-arguments to test the validity of the evidence/thesis.

Good post! I certainly agree that it seems beyond belief that Oswald was calm and on second floor within what-ninety seconds--of the assassination.

With respect to post-assassination statements, how about two made by Santo Trafficante, Jr?

1) As I understand it, he was heard on an FBI wiretap, after Rosselli's murder, stating words to the effect, Now there are only two people who know (the truth of the assassination).

2) In his autobiography, Trafficante's long-time lawyer writes that shortly before his death Trafficante admitted to him his role in the assassination. (Such confession would have been protected by atty/cloient privilege.) I understand some people dispute Ragano's story, however.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to it.

I was an avid follower of current events/politics even as a freshman in high school and I remember the developing Bobby Baker scandal but did not remember how close the investigation was coming to LBJ until the info developed on your forum.

One point I would raise with respect to LBJ, though (and I was never a LBJ admirer) is that LBJ and Connally were very close (as the tapes also demonstrate). Somewhat hard to believe LBJ would orchestrate an assassination which would put his friend's life at risk. If LBJ had wanted to do it, couldn't he have found an opportunity other than the Dallas motorcade? And, didn't LBJ have enough info re JFK's sex life that it would have removed JFK from the ticket had it been released? As I recall, it was Baker who had introduced JFK to Ellen Rometsch.

Looking forward to your paper.

Tim Gratz

Good Point, the Connally wounding is one of the prime reasons that show that LBJ was carried along by the momentum of the larger effort, and not a sole initiator and beneficiary...my paper will present a theory that will shed light on this.

Thanks for all the great posts

Shanet

One point I would raise with respect to LBJ, though (and I was never a LBJ admirer) is that LBJ and Connally were very close (as the tapes also demonstrate).  Somewhat hard to believe LBJ would orchestrate an assassination which would put his friend's life at risk.  If LBJ had wanted to do it, couldn't he have found an opportunity other than the Dallas motorcade?

I don't believe Johnson did organize the assassination of JFK. However, Johnson discovered a few hours after the assassination that there was evidence that linked him to the event (probably the Mac Wallace fingerprint). That forced Johnson to carry out a cover up. Just what the conspirators wanted. Oswald was not the only patsy.

Good point, John.

A larger issue is that he had just seen a man's head blown up about ten yards in front of him...he knew enough about Dulles, Lansdale, Dillon, Fitzgerald and the agencies to play along.

Speaking of confirming a conspiracy, Is everyone aware of the NAMEBASE.ORG?

Fascinating software. It gives you a graphic line chart connecting political figures to their contacts and contemporaries. I plugged in C.D.Dillon and got one nasty group of people and the Howard Hunt configuration was OUTRAGEOUS. It also then gives you links to any books known to contain the names of your target's contacts....its a real research tool for us...namebase.org....

Shanet

Tim; I don't have any evidence to prove LBJ was behind JFK's assasination in any way.

However, there apparently was a heated discussion regarding seating arrangements regarding the Presidential limousine in Dallas. As I recall LBJ and JFK took part in it, LBJ wanted Senator Yarborough to sit with the President instead of Gov. Connally and his wife. This discussion/argument was heard and reported by someone close to Kennedy. I may be mistaken, but I believe it might have been Kenny O'Donnell. Someone wrote about this in a book.

Furthermore, as we know LBJ was friendly with Connally and not so with Sen. Ralph Yarborough.

There was indeed an argument about seating arrangements in the car. It is true that this is mentioned by Kenneth O’Donnell in his book, Johnny, We Hardly Knew Ye (1972 - page 21). However, it was not about the motorcade. When JFK arrived in Texas it was arranged for him to attend a dinner at Governor Connolly’s mansion. Ralph Yarborough discovered he had not been placed at the head table with Kennedy. He was further infuriated by the decision not to invite Yarborough’s wife to the dinner. Yarborough blamed Johnson for this snub. When the party arrived in San Antonio, Yarborough refused to ride in the same car with Johnson. Kennedy was furious about this dispute (after all, he was visiting Texas in order to heal the divisions between Yarborough and Connally supporters. Kennedy applied pressure on Connally and Yarborough and his wife got to sit on the head table. By the time of the motorcade in Dallas, Yarborough and Johnson were willing to sit together in the car.

However, I have heard a story that Johnson tried to persuade Connally not to ride in the president’s car in the motorcade. I have yet to find evidence to support this story. If it is true, then it does suggest that Johnson might have known about the planned attack. Connally was a close friend and made up a small group of people (Robert Kerr, George Smathers, Bobby Baker, Fred Black) that were tied very close together. I will be exploring this in my seminar.

I have heard a story that Johnson tried to persuade Connally not to ride in the president’s car in the motorcade. I have yet to find evidence to support this story. If it is true, then it does suggest that Johnson might have known about the planned attack.

There is a story that LBJ tried to get JFK to let Connally and Yarborough switch places in the motorcade, ostensibly because LBJ did not want to ride with his political enemy Yarborough, but JFK refused to allow this switch, as it was against protocol.

In Death of a President (p. 82), Manchester relates that LBJ and JFK had a loud argument in their last meeting together, the night of Nov. 21. According to Manchester, only LBJ and JFK knew what the argument was about, except that it was apparently about "the state's political feud," and Yarborough's name was heard several times by people outside the room.

This may be the origin of the story about LBJ wanting Connally and Yarborough to switch places, but if so, the story makes an assumption, as Manchester at least professes not to know specifically what the argument was about.

Good post!  I certainly agree that it seems beyond belief that Oswald was calm and on second floor within what-ninety seconds--of the assassination.

With respect to post-assassination statements, how about two made by Santo Trafficante, Jr?

1)  As I understand it, he was heard on an FBI wiretap, after Rosselli's murder, stating words to the effect, Now there are only two people who know (the truth of the assassination).

2)  In his autobiography, Trafficante's long-time lawyer writes that shortly before his death Trafficante admitted to him his role in the assassination.  (Such confession would have been protected by atty/cloient privilege.)  I understand some people dispute Ragano's story, however.

Thanks Tim, however, I should clarify... the whole Oswald/Baker/Truly encounter on the 2nd floor 90 seconds after the assassination just plain never happened. Unfortunately, the lie is deeply imbedded due to it being such a standout scene in Stone's "JFK".

To explain as best I can, Truly and his boss, Cambell, spoke to the media on the afternoon of the assassination. They were quoted the following day as saying they had seen Oswald on the 1st floor after reentering the building. That same afternoon, Baker made his statement with Oswald in the same room -- giving a description that did not fit Oswald, and saying it happened on the 3rd or 4th floor. Since I have found no reason to believe Baker was a part of anything (though he would go onto change his story to fit what was needed), I have to conclude that such an encounter did take place -- just not with Oswald. Meanwhile, Truly did not get around to making his statement until the next day. This was the first time the 2nd floor story emerged. By then, it must have been realised that Truly's statements to the press could not get into the evidence. The solution was to merge Baker's statement -- which again, didn't describe Oswald or name him -- with the actual sighting of Oswald on the 1st floor as per Truly/Campbell to the press, and swap the whole scenario to the second floor to be in accordance with the statement of Reid.

In essence, there were two sightings... one of Oswald on the first floor, and another of the possible real sniper on the 3rd or 4th floor. I believe that was the whole reason Truly rushed to "assist" Baker... to ensure the real sniper got out "He's okay, offficer. He works here."

Oswald said in interrogation that he was having lunch in the domino room when he saw two men walk in. He named one as "Shorty". This puts the time 12:23 when Norman and Jarman reentered the building. From there, he went up to the second floor for a coke, walked past Reid who told him of the shooting. By now, he could hear all the commotion downstairs and went down to investigate.

For sources, please refer to the Dallas Morning News of 23nov63, Baker's 22nov63 statement, and his his WC testimony confirming Oswald was in the room when he made that statement, the testimonies of Jarman and Norman in regard to coming back inside, the WC testimony of Holmes, and Fritz's notes.

1 Lee Harvey Oswald was not a lone nut. He had a motive that the American public could not be allowed to know. He finally figured out that he was a "Patsy" and had been used to help John F. Kennedy get elected. He was going to expose the whole story with his Smith Act Attorney, Jonathan Abt. The FBI passed on to the State Department the fact that Oswald was working at the Texas School Book Depository Building on Nov. 5th. White house staff finalized the route past that building on Nov. 8th. Maxwell Taylor, with access to staff, Kennedy and all those involved with the planning of this trip could have known where Oswald was working (He also may have known that Oswald had been the one to shoot at his old friend and trusted confidant General Walker) If Taylor felt that Kennedy was going to pull out of Vietnam and deprive him of his war he may have wanted Kennedy dead. Putting the motorcade past Oswalds place of employment was the key in the assassination. White house staff, the FBI and the Secrete Service all wanted a reason to cover-up their failures.

2. John F. Kennedy was elected President, in one of the closest elections in US History after Francis Gary Powers had been shot down in his U-2 Spy Plane. This caused the failure of the Paris Summit. If the U-2 had not been shot down, the Summit goes on and Richard Nixon is elected President. Most of us today do not remember who Kennedy was. Oswald was a radar operator for U-2 Aircraft.

3. Maxwell Taylor had left the Eisenhower administration and was brought back into the Kennedy administration as a reward for his part in the U-2 incident ie. the help that it provided Kennedy in getting elected. Taylor helped Oswald into Russia by sending Gen. Walker to pass information about the Russian Embassy in Helsinki to Oswald. The shoot down of the U-2 is a legitimate CIA operation that infiltrates a Soviet controlled Japanese centered espionage ring plus more.

4. If the election had been "throne" in favor of Kennedy the Kennedy image would be damaged, therefore the family had a vested interest in the post assassination cover-up.

5. If information had been passed to the Soviets through a Japanese based espionage ring, in a legitimate covert operation dealing with a legitimate weapons system test, by an unknowing Oswald, that espionage ring would be compromised by conceding Oswald was a US agent. The Soviets would have a similiar reason for wanting to deny involvement with Oswald, it could lead to war if it was known that Oswald had been a Soviet agent. If either country were to claim knowledge of Oswalds espionage activity it would open the door for the failure of the nuclear test ban talks taking place at the time of the assassination. The leadership of both nations did not want these talks to fail as had occured in 1960. Read Edward J. Epsteins' interview of James Jesus Angelton and imagine Oswald as the fly going from orchid to orchid never knowing exactly what he was doing. (How Oswald may have figured out his role is an interesting story in itself)

Maxwell Taylor could have pulled off the perfect assassination with everyone (and countries) having their own reason for wanting it covered up.

1 Lee Harvey Oswald was not a lone nut.  He had a motive that the American public could not be allowed to know.  He finally figured out that he was a "Patsy" and had been used to help John F. Kennedy get elected.  He was going to expose the whole story with his Smith Act Attorney, Jonathan Abt.  The FBI passed on to the State Department the fact that Oswald was working at the Texas School Book Depository Building on Nov. 5th.  White house staff finalized the route past that building on Nov. 8th.  Maxwell Taylor, with access to staff, Kennedy and all those involved with the planning  of this trip could have known where Oswald was working (He also may have known that Oswald had been the one to shoot at his old friend and trusted confidant General Walker)  If Taylor felt that Kennedy was going to pull out of Vietnam and deprive him of his war he may have wanted Kennedy dead.  Putting the motorcade past Oswalds place of employment was the key in the assassination.  White house staff, the FBI and the Secrete Service all wanted a reason to cover-up their failures.

2.  John F. Kennedy was elected President, in one of the closest elections in US History after Francis Gary Powers had been shot down in his U-2 Spy Plane.  This caused the failure of the Paris Summit.  If the U-2 had not been shot down, the Summit goes on and Richard Nixon is elected President.  Most of us today do not remember who Kennedy was.  Oswald was a radar operator for U-2 Aircraft.

3.  Maxwell Taylor had left the Eisenhower administration and was brought back into the Kennedy administration as a reward for his part in the U-2 incident ie. the help that it provided Kennedy in getting elected.  Taylor helped Oswald into Russia by sending Gen. Walker to pass information about the Russian Embassy in Helsinki to Oswald.  The shoot down of the U-2 is a legitimate CIA operation that infiltrates a Soviet controlled Japanese centered espionage ring plus more.

4.  If the election had been "throne" in favor of Kennedy the Kennedy image would be damaged, therefore the family had a vested interest in the post assassination cover-up.

5.  If information had been passed to the Soviets through a Japanese based espionage ring, in a legitimate covert operation dealing with a legitimate weapons system test, by an unknowing Oswald, that espionage ring would be compromised by conceding Oswald was a US agent.  The Soviets would have a similiar reason for wanting to deny involvement with Oswald, it could lead to war if it was known that Oswald had been a Soviet agent.  If either country were to claim knowledge of Oswalds espionage activity it would open the door for the failure of the nuclear test ban talks taking place at the time of the assassination.  The leadership of both nations did not want these talks to fail as had occured in 1960.  Read Edward J. Epsteins' interview of James Jesus Angelton and imagine Oswald as the fly going from orchid to orchid never knowing exactly what he was doing.  (How Oswald may have figured out his role is an interesting story in itself)

Maxwell Taylor could have pulled off the perfect assassination with everyone (and countries) having their own reason for wanting it covered up.

There are people (Fletcher Prouty among them--I read an article he wrote about it) who believe the U2 mission was deliberately "blown" to sabotage the peace summit--not necessarily to elect JFK. If so, it is possible he played a part (wittingly or not) in that operation.

I want to add that JFK did not campaign as a "dove" in the 1060 election. If anything, he was more "hard-line" than Nixon. Item: one of JFK's principal issues was that the Eisenhower-Nixon Administration had allowed a dangeroues "missile gap" to develop and a stepped-up military budget was needed (after the election it turned out there in fact was no missile gap). Item: JFK famously claimed (for instance, in a front page article in the October 21, 1960 New York Times) that the Eisenhower-Nixon administration was not doing enough to support the anti-Castro exiles. In his October 21, 1960 foreign policy debate he repeated the charge. Nixon was furious because he believed that JFK had been briefed by the CIA re the plans for the BOP invasion but Nixon could not reveal the secret plans.

This does not mean the military supported JFK--most of them probably supported JFK. Interestingly, though, there was an element in the CIA that did support JFK. Among this group was Richard Bissell, who was not only the principal architect of the BOP but also, in August of 1960 directed Sheffield Edwards to enroll the Mafia in a plot to assassinate Castro. (Of course, after the BOP, JFK fired both Dulles and Bissell.)

But it is important to note, for historical accuracy anyway, that on military policy JFK attacked Nixon from the right.

Good post!  I certainly agree that it seems beyond belief that Oswald was calm and on second floor within what-ninety seconds--of the assassination.

1)  As I understand it, he was heard on an FBI wiretap, after Rosselli's murder, stating words to the effect, Now there are only two people who know (the truth of the assassination).

2)  In his autobiography, Trafficante's long-time lawyer writes that shortly before his death Trafficante admitted to him his role in the assassination.  (Such confession would have been protected by atty/cloient privilege.)  I understand some people dispute Ragano's story, however.

Thanks Tim, however, I should clarify... the whole Oswald/Baker/Truly encounter on the 2nd floor 90 seconds after the assassination just plain never happened. Unfortunately, the lie is deeply imbedded due to it being such a standout scene in Stone's "JFK".

To explain as best I can, Truly and his boss, Cambell, spoke to the media on the afternoon of the assassination. They were quoted the following day as saying they had seen Oswald on the 1st floor after reentering the building. That same afternoon, Baker made his statement with Oswald in the same room -- giving a description that did not fit Oswald, and saying it happened on the 3rd or 4th floor. Since I have found no reason to believe Baker was a part of anything (though he would go onto change his story to fit what was needed), I have to conclude that such an encounter did take place -- just not with Oswald. Meanwhile, Truly did not get around to making his statement until the next day. This was the first time the 2nd floor story emerged. By then, it must have been realised that Truly's statements to the press could not get into the evidence. The solution was to merge Baker's statement -- which again, didn't describe Oswald or name him -- with the actual sighting of Oswald on the 1st floor as per Truly/Campbell to the press, and swap the whole scenario to the second floor to be in accordance with the statement of Reid.

In essence, there were two sightings... one of Oswald on the first floor, and another of the possible real sniper on the 3rd or 4th floor. I believe that was the whole reason Truly rushed to "assist" Baker... to ensure the real sniper got out "He's okay, offficer. He works here."

Oswald said in interrogation that he was having lunch in the domino room when he saw two men walk in. He named one as "Shorty". This puts the time 12:23 when Norman and Jarman reentered the building. From there, he went up to the second floor for a coke, walked past Reid who told him of the shooting. By now, he could hear all the commotion downstairs and went down to investigate.

For sources, please refer to the Dallas Morning News of 23nov63, Baker's 22nov63 statement, and his his WC testimony confirming Oswald was in the room when he made that statement, the testimonies of Jarman and Norman in regard to coming back inside, the WC testimony of Holmes, and Fritz's notes.

Very interesting post. I know many people believe that Truly and Baker initially encountered LHO on the second florr, less than two minutes after the assassination, which makes it almost incredible that he had fired the shots from the sixth floor, hid the rifle and got to the second floor in that amount of time. In fact, although I have not read the book, I read an article that states that in Belin's book defending the WC Belin concedes that if when Truly and Baker encountered LHO LHO already had a Coke in his hand that then LHO could not have been the assassin--the timing was that close.

Shanet

First: I am conviced that Edwin Walker and Maxwell Taylor knew each other begining in 1927 and that Maxwell Taylor's "go to guy" was Edwin Walker for alot of years (possibly as early as 1934) and in alot of different situations, only two of which were the First Straits of Taiwan Crisis and the Little Rock school incident (Check the Maxwell Davenport Taylor site at Arlington National Cemetary web site). You might also check the transfer of Korean POW's, Greek Civil War and the training of Rangers. This may be one reason the Warren Commission did not want to go into Walker's military record.

Second: Edwin Walker traveled from Little Rock, Arkansas to Germany in October of 1959, the same time that Oswald "defected" to the USSR. (My seminar paper "Serendipity" will outline the unusual travels of Oswald to the USSR.

Third: Oswald's year long quest to leave the USSR coincides with the "downfall" of Walker with his Pro Blue Program in Germany. I believe that Walker was instructed by Taylor to infiltrate the far right in America and he did what his "friend" (Taylor) ordered when Taylor learned that Oswald would be allowed to return to the USA (dates just happen to coincide). The Russians did a similiar thing with Nosenko (sp).....check the dates of his first contact with US agents and the Soviet approval of Oswalds exit visa. Would it be expected that both intelligence agencies would react in the same manner to an "asset" that neither were quite sure of but that both were very aware of?

Fourth: Walker's actions immediately following the assassination of JFK. I believe Walker recognized Oswald and feared he would be implicated in the assassination. His contact with the German newspaper was his attempt to protect himself if Oswald could ID him as the man that helped get him into Russia. After Oswalds death he knew he had better keep quite and support the official line.

Fifth: As Chief of Staff of the Army, Taylor was very much in the know about military intelligence matters. In particular the Army's missile program that Eisenhower took away from the Army when he created NASA. I find it interesting that TIROS I was launched on April 1, 1960. It was built by the Army, launched on an Army built Redstone rocket and was the first polar orbited weather satelite. One month later Francis Gary Powers was shot down. His U-2 cover story was that he was on a weather mission.........just coincidence I am sure but was the Television Infrared Observational Satelite designed as more than just a weather satelite (check Time magazines after its launch) or are we to believe that the Army built this satelite for civilian purposes only?

Sixth: In a very limited publication printed in Kerr County, Texas in 1958 it says that General Walker, the highest ranking officier to come out of the area, was working on guided missiles. There is nothing in Walker's military record to suggest this.

Seventh: If Kennedy were to pull US troops out of Vietnam, as it seems possible he was going to do, Taylor may have seen the possibility of his war slipping away. He had spent his life developing specialized troop to fight just such a "brush fire" war and he was not going to be stoped by the man who he had gotten elected. (Read The uncertain Trumpet)

Eighth: Taylor may have had the motive and he had the means to know where Oswald was and to direct the motorcade past that spot. He may have known that Oswald was back in this country and that he was in Dallas when Walker was shot at. One must be able to present the elements of a crime in order to prove a crime. I find to many elements that point toward Taylor. He may not have pulled the trigger but he may have put Kennedy in the path of the bullet.

Ninth: The book, Seven Days in May, may have been Kennedy's warning to Taylor to back off. Read the Look magazine review of the movie that came out days before the assassination. The cover has Krushev (sp) on the cover.....did Oswald read that magazine on the day the motorcade route was anounced in Dallas? Appartently the Pentagon (ie Taylor) did not want the movie made. (Check the New York Times Nov. 22, 1963 issue...full page add for the movie Seven Days in May. Also the book was on the best seller list while Oswald planned and attempted the assassination of Walker)

Jim Root

Edited by Jim Root

Tim

My point exactly. Kennedy was the "Hawk" in the 1960 election. After the U-2 incident Kennedy knocked Humphrey out winning all the primaries after Eisenhower's humiliation at having to admit that he had lied to the American public and that he had to approve the overflights of Russia to attempt to detect their weapons ability.

If Kennedy had advance information, from somebody like Taylor, that an incident like the U-2 incident would occur.....would it have shaped his policy positions on how Eisenhower had allowd the US to fall behind in technology to the Soviets?

Would he be indebted to a Taylor for this information......?

Would Kennedy reward Taylor with the position of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff which he infact did?

Tim

My point exactly.  Kennedy was the "Hawk" in the 1960 election.  After the U-2 incident Kennedy knocked Humphrey out winning all the primaries after Eisenhower's humiliation at having to admit that he had lied to the American public and that he had to approve the overflights of Russia to attempt to detect their weapons ability.

If Kennedy had advance information, from somebody like Taylor, that an incident like the U-2 incident would occur.....would it have shaped his policy positions on how Eisenhower had allowd the US to fall behind in technology to the Soviets?

Would Kennedy reward Taylor with the position of Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff which he infact did?

It is true that the crucial West Virginia primary ocurred shortly after the U2 election but I am not sure why the incident, which was an embarrassment to the Eisenhower administration, influenced the primary vote between Humphrey and JFK. The story of the 1960 West virginia primary is fascinating but I do not recall reading anything re how U2 incident influenced it. JFK won W Va primary for several reasons (not necessarilyn this order) 1. well-organized campaign and effective campaigning by JFK and his surrogates; 2. huge amounts of money (reportedly some from Mob) spent by JFK friends. See for instance the story of Eddie Ford as told by Tipp O'Neill in his memoirs. The W Va primary knocked HHH out of the presidential race.

Tim

My point exactly.  Kennedy was the "Hawk" in the 1960 election.  After the U-2 incident Kennedy knocked Humphrey out winning all the primaries after Eisenhower's humiliation at having to admit that he had lied to the American public and that he had to approve the overflights of Russia to attempt to detect their weapons ability.

It is true that the crucial West Virginia primary ocurred shortly after the U2 election but I am not sure why the incident, which was an embarrassment to the Eisenhower administration, influenced the primary vote between Humphrey and JFK. The story of the 1960 West virginia primary is fascinating but I do not recall reading anything re how U2 incident influenced it. JFK won W Va primary for several reasons (not necessarilyn this order) 1. well-organized campaign and effective campaigning by JFK and his surrogates; 2. huge amounts of money (reportedly some from Mob) spent by JFK friends. See for instance the story of Eddie Ford as told by Tipp O'Neill in his memoirs. The W Va primary knocked HHH out of the presidential race.

OOPS!! U2 incident, not U2 election. Anyone read the book Libra (fiction of course) that shows LHO observing the Soviet interrogation of Powers?