The Education Forum

12 minutes ago, Michael Clark said:

Ticket stub pic. , or it didn't happen...

;)

Ticket stub?

It was free. Maybe you missed that. Outdoors. (ditto)  In a medieval square called "Dominican Square" (in Czech language, of course).  In Brno, Czech Republic. I could hear "Oh Carol" from a few blocks away as I was returning to the city's center after teaching an English lesson on the outskirts of town.  The political party dominated by Vaclav Klaus (look him up) paid him to come over and play free concerts to try to attract the "youth vote" for the upcoming elections.

It was even better than DEVO.

Because it was free.  And there were no ticket stubs to document. Not that I keep ticket stubs, anyway.  Except the last Padres game my aged Dad and I went to.  When he told me flat out he wouldn't (be able to) go to any more games with me.  I kept it.  My ticket stub, I mean.

Would you like for me to take a photograph of my stub and send it to you?

--  Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May 31, 1996: BRNO, Czech Republic What was rock 'n' roll legend Chuck Berry doing at a political rally for a pro-business party in the Czech Republic? "Roll Over Beethoven," for starters. Playing with a pick-up band of Czech musicians, the St. Louis-area bluesman followed with "Johnny B. Goode," "Down By the Bayou" and "My Ding-A-Ling."

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/142532325/

5 minutes ago, W. Tracy Parnell said:

May 31, 1996: BRNO, Czech Republic What was rock 'n' roll legend Chuck Berry doing at a political rally for a pro-business party in the Czech Republic? "Roll Over Beethoven," for starters. Playing with a pick-up band of Czech musicians, the St. Louis-area bluesman followed with "Johnny B. Goode," "Down By the Bayou" and "My Ding-A-Ling."

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/142532325/

Thanks, Tracy.

I've tried googling that concert a couple of times over the years, but to no avail.

What search terms did you use in finding it?

11 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

F U, "Butterfly" Mikey.

Do perdele.  Look it up.

Loosely translated it means "Up your [something-or-other]."

A word of warning:  If you ever go to the Czech Republic, don't say "Machu Pichu" to a complete stranger, especially in a pub (bar).  If you do, a guy or a gal will probably knock your NY xxx out.

LOL

Tommy, I have no clue what your initial post to me here was about. I have no clue what the significance of your following posts were about. I was going along in what I thought was an amusing manner. Your a pretty cryptic guy. I assume that you like it that way. It's not my fault that I don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Cheers,

Michael

1 hour ago, W. Tracy Parnell said:

I forgot already-I think Chuck Berry brno Czech. :unsure: It could have been recently indexed.

Thanks,

I was worried I'd just hallucinated it, or something.

Regardless, I probably just recently read that article at the library (where newspapers.com) is free, and then just made up my story about having been at that concert, myself.  As I was coming back into the center of town, probably to go to Bolek Polivka's "Klub Memfis" pub / bar (which I've heard is now a hair salon of all things) where the truly "hip" ex-pat English teachers tended to hang out because it was, well ...  centrally-located but not too centrally-located, seein' as how it was right next to "Dominican Square" and everything, and they had this communal "message box"  there for us to give each other messages in), or something like that.

How am I doing, "Butterfly" Mikey?

(lol)

PS  And no, there is no truth to the vicious rumor that I owned (without a business license or anything!) a bar I called "Surf Klub" near the reservoir in 1999.

Although it may be true that uhhh ... INTERPOL ... might still be looking for me, you know, about some missing .....

Ah, ... never mind.

(lol)

Edited by Thomas Graves

7 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

I find Trejo's use, just now, of a death notice thread of a forum member, to defend his contested claims, to be distasteful, to say the least.

bumped

because it's really really important

Edited by Thomas Graves