The Education Forum

Missing Stemmons sign

The Thornton sign is visible but the Stemmons sign is missing. I know about the conspiracy rumors but was it ever taken down officially, and does anyone know the date of this photo?
 The Stemmons should have it's left pole lined up behind(or close to) the lamppost on the far left and the rest of the sign should protrude to the right. The Thornton sign is exactly where it should be based on the position of the 3 lampposts in front of the TSBD. The other strange thing is on top of the Thornton sign there appears to be another image of the sign starting a couple inches above it. It is about 1/3 the height of the sign.
The second video has a close up enhanced view after 10 seconds but the friggin start icon sits right over the subject matter in the thumbnail so you will have to click on it to see the double image.

Edited by Chris Bristow

The Testimony of Emmet J. Hudson was taken at 10:40 a.m., on July 22, 1964, in the office of the U.S. attorney, 301 Post Office Building, Bryan and Eray Streets, Dalla, Tex, by Mr. Wesley J. Liebeler, assistant counsel of the President's Commission.

Mr. LIEBELER - Now, let's take a look at that picture, Mr. Hudson, and let me ask you if you can see in that picture, where you were standing?
Mr. HUDSON -(no response.)
Mr. LIEBELER - Now, this picture, Hudson Exhibit No. 1, has a sign in it that says "Stemmons Freeway, keep right." doesn't it?
Mr. HUDSON - Yes.
Mr. LIEBELER - Can you find that sign on the photograph No. 18 of the Commission Exhibit No. 875? The one that we were talking about before.
Mr. HUDSON - That's right here, I believe - right here.
Mr. LIEBELER - Now, that sign says, "R. L. Thornton Freeway, keep right." Where is the Stemmons Freeway sign in this picture? Can you see it in that picture at all - I can't.
Mr. HUDSON - I can't either - that isn't it - it's farther up this way.
Mr. LIEBELER - That's further back up and it's out of the picture?
Mr. HUDSON - Yes.
Mr. LIEBELER - There are two signs in picture No. 18, one says, "R.L. Thornton Freeway, keep right." and the other one says, "Fort worth Turnpike, keep right."
Mr. HUDSON - There were two of them that wasn't too far apart right throught here - them signs was - one was right along in here and the other one was either further up, I guess. It's not in that picture - I don't believe. Now, they have moved some of those signs. They have moved the R.L. Thornton Freeway sign and put up a Stemmons sign.
Mr. LIEBELER - They have? They have moved it?
Mr. HUDSON - Yes, sir.

Thanks to Robin for the date and statements about the sign removal. My other question is about the Thornton sign. It has an extra portion added to the top. Is this maybe a Stemmons sign added to it after removing the original? Or is this a kind of photographic artifact?

Thanks David, the Stemmons was taken down in 1964 so anything added to the Thornton, I assume, would have occurred in 64'. I really don't know what that image above the Thornton is the result of. Anybody got an idea?