The Education Forum

Jefferson Morley starts a new job on Monday

Jefferson Morley wrote on Facebook today:

On Monday I start a new job. I will be Washington correspondent for Alternet.org, a left-liberal news site. I've been reporting from Washington for 33 years but the current situation strikes me as unique.

According to the Gallup Poll, the incoming president's disapproval rating is double that George Bush in 2001 and quadruple Barack Obama's in 2009. Trump is openly contemptuous of the intelligence agencies that any commander in chief must rely on to make decisions. The Congre...ss is poised to deprive 20 million people of health insurance with no replacement system in sight. And so on.

While partisan combat is the norm in Washington, the current situation differs fundamentally from the struggles over the policies of Presidents Reagan, Clinton, Bush and Obama that I have covered in the past. What is emerging in 2017 is not just the perennial struggle the purpose and policies of government but a new struggle over democratic norms that have never been in question before.

To be sure, Trump's election signaled a widespread desire for change. The minority of American voters who chose Trump will certainly see change. I see my job as covering the change, holding the government accountable, and providing new facts and perspectives, while maintaining a sense of humor and humanity.

In other words, I'll need all the help I can get!. Which is where you come in. Tips, purloined documents, undercovered data points, and interesting story ideas are welcome. So are corrections. Trump supporters will get a fair hearing from me.

http://www.alternet.org/about

Actually, I think the situation is fundamentally similar to Reagan when viewed in the context of that time while the bitterness is very much like Nixon in 68.  We run big risks whenever we say this time is different. The hopeful message is that Reagan Administration overplayed its hand and the political backlash prevented the worst excess. this is why many conservatives view Reagan era as a "Squandered Opportunity". If they say the same at the end of this administration, I suspect Jeff will feel he accomplished his mission.   

I wonder if they will let him cover the 2017 NARA issue?

That would be good.

I have to agree Paul, what does that have to do with JFK?

Edited by James DiEugenio

• 2 weeks later...