Jump to content
The Education Forum

George Lumpkin


Recommended Posts

George Lumpkin:

 

I know that some have claimed that George Lumpkin was a member of Jack Crichton's 488th military intelligence group, but I have not found any first-hand primary source for that; only secondary sources that repeat the same claim over and over. Here's what I do know.

Was a passenger in the JFK motorcade pilot car with George Whitmeyer.

 

From Brandy, Our Man in Acapulco: The Life and Times of Colonel Frank M. Brandstetter. A Biography by Rodney P. Carlisle and Dominic J. Monetta. University of North Texas Press, 1999.

https://books.google.com/books?id=QLdqgDsVio4C&pg=PA122&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

 

p. 128. “As was common for Brandy, he received a fine commendation for his work from his commanding officer, at this time, Colonel George Lumpkin....”

 

“In his civilian life, George Lumpkin was deputy chief of police in the City of Dallas...”

When Jack Crichton was asked by the Dallas Police to find a Russian interpretor for Marina Oswald, Crichton asked George Lumpkin to call Ilya Mamantov. It was George Lumpkin who took command at the TSBD following the assassination and who Roy Truly first told that Lee Harvey Oswald was “missing”.

 

Headquarters

Department of the Army

26 July 1967

General Orders No. 33

https://www.apd.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/go6733.pdf

Page 5

 

V. Legion of Merit. By direction of the President...for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding service is awarded to...

 

Colonel George L. Lumpkin. Intelligence and Security, United States Army, July, 1960 – June, 1967

 

Steve Thomas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Steve Thomas said:

George Lumpkin:

After the assassination, George Lumpkin returned to the TSBD and took command there.

DPD Archives Box 14, Folder# 4, Item# 10

http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box14.htm

DPD Dispatch tapes

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/dpdtapes/index.htm

12:49 PM

15 15's in charge down here. Correction, 5's (Dept. Chief G.L. Lumpkin) in charge.

He posted Lieutenant Eric Kaminsky at the front door to take down the ID of anyone leaving.

Kaminsky may have taken down Oswald's ID as he was leaving.

It was Lumpkin to whom Roy Truly reported that Oswald was "missing".

 

Steve Thomas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

George Lumpkin:

 

I know that some have claimed that George Lumpkin was a member of Jack Crichton's 488th military intelligence group, but I have not found any first-hand primary source for that; only secondary sources that repeat the same claim over and over. Here's what I do know.

Was a passenger in the JFK motorcade pilot car with George Whitmeyer.

 

From Brandy, Our Man in Acapulco: The Life and Times of Colonel Frank M. Brandstetter. A Biography by Rodney P. Carlisle and Dominic J. Monetta. University of North Texas Press, 1999.

https://books.google.com/books?id=QLdqgDsVio4C&pg=PA122&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

 

p. 128. “As was common for Brandy, he received a fine commendation for his work from his commanding officer, at this time, Colonel George Lumpkin....”

  

“In his civilian life, George Lumpkin was deputy chief of police in the City of Dallas...”

When Jack Crichton was asked by the Dallas Police to find a Russian interpretor for Marina Oswald, Crichton asked George Lumpkin to call Ilya Mamantov. It was George Lumpkin who took command at the TSBD following the assassination and who Roy Truly first told that Lee Harvey Oswald was “missing”.

 

Headquarters

Department of the Army

26 July 1967

General Orders No. 33

https://www.apd.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/go6733.pdf

Page 5

 

V. Legion of Merit. By direction of the President...for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding service is awarded to...

 

Colonel George L. Lumpkin. Intelligence and Security, United States Army, July, 1960 – June, 1967

 

Steve Thomas

re "pg. 128"  So Brandstetter was a subordinate of Lumpkin Army Intelligence, Not the 488th Military Intelligence/reserves?

And, per your last sentence, Lumpkin was in A. I. from 1960 -1967, while he was with the DPD?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

re "pg. 128"  So Brandstetter was a subordinate of Lumpkin Army Intelligence, Not the 488th Military Intelligence/reserves?

And, per your last sentence, Lumpkin was in A. I. from 1960 -1967, while he was with the DPD?

Ron,

 

I do not have George Lumpkin's service record, so I can't be 100% sure; but, the George L. Lumpkin, who was a Deputy Chief of Police in Dallas, TX, was named George Laster Lumpkin.

He was born on May 4, 1912. In 1963, he would have been 51 years old.

A George L. Lumpkin was awarded the Legion of Merit on July 26, 1967.

Here's a copy of General Orders 6733:

go6733.jpg.a94a511a9ea3bda7551a75d4b61ee49f.jpg

 

Is it the same person?  I cannot be 100% sure.

 

As far as the 488th, I've been struggling with this for several years now.

A normal, run of the mill, average Military Intelligence Detachment in the United States Army Reserve had 9 men in it - about the size of a rifle squad.

When someone says that Crichton's 488th had 100 men it, you are talking about something else.

 

Steve Thomas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not know if this is the same George Lumpkin.

The George Lumpkin, who was a Deputy Chief of Police in Dallas, TX in 1963, was born in 1912. In 1942, he would have been 30 years old. 

 

Pacific Paratrooper

Blog Archives

Eye Witness Account

Mar 16

Posted by GP Cox

https://pacificparatrooper.wordpress.com/tag/tributes/page/13/

““Upon arrival, 27 May, (1942) at the island, we were greeted by remarks indicating that we were just in time for the “party.” These remarks didn’t bother us; we had just left the States two weeks before. Next morning, at squadron briefing when Major Henderson also let us know that the Japs were overdue — we did a little more thinking on the matter.

“The greenest group ever assembled for combat included Second Lieutenants George Lumpkin, E.P. Thompson, George Koutdas, D.L. Cummings, A.H. Ringblom, Jack Cosley, Ken Campion, Orvin Ramlo and James Marmande. None of us had ever flown the SB2U, so we immediately checked out with no more trouble than a couple of ground loops.”


 

 

"Front row L-R – Richard Blain, Leon Williamson, Daniel Cummings, Allan Ringblom, Harold Schlendering, Sumner Witten, Frank Zolnis, Gordon McFeely.
Second row – William Humbard, Jack Cosley, George Koutelas, George Lumpkin, Clyde Stamps, John Moore, Charles Cayer."

 

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both Lumpkin and Crichton were Colonels, as was Brandstetter. We know from Brandstetter’s own autobiographical work Brandy - Portrait of an Intelligence Officer, that he reported to ACSI (Army Chief of Staff Intelligence) for 19 years starting in 1956, and that Colonel Rose at ACSI suggested in 1959 that he join the 488th Military Intelligence Detachment for his weekend training. We also know that the 488th did not conform to the normal reserve Intelligence Unit structure, since there is no proof it actually existed other than the words of Crichton and Brandstetter. I suggest it was connected to ACSI and part of a still hidden structure. I don’t think we should dismiss its existence. Crichton’s entry in the Military Order of the World Wars mentions that he was in charge of a Strategic Military Intelligence Unit. It doesn’t name it, or date it. Crichton has quite a known bio, and I think there is much to be discovered about him and his Unit. 

I highly recommend two books - the aforementioned Brandy autobiography, and the new Skorzeny Papers, which explore Crichton’s deep ties to the Dallas establishment who in turn can be linked to Otto Skorzeny. 

I don’t mean to dismiss the point of this thread. I’m really interested in Lumpkin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here’s a little more on George Lumpkin, the WWII Vought SB2U pilot:

https://marines.togetherweserved.com/usmc/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=339332

The article below has this same Vaught SB2U Pilot as “George T. Lumpkin”:

http://www.historynet.com/interview-with-world-war-ii-sb2u-3-pilot-sumner-h-whitten.htm

 

Edited by Tom Hume
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At around 3:00 - 3:15 PM on the afternoon of November 22, 1963, Lieutenant Jack Revill of the DPD and James Hosty of the FBI had a conversation in the basement of City Hall.

Exactly what was said in that conversation caused a major blowup between the FBI and the Dallas Police. You can read about the controversy in Jack Revill's WC and HSCA testimony.

"Jim Hosty knew, that Lee Oswald was capable of killing the President."

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/jfkinfo2/jfk4/hscarevl.htm

What Revill said, and what he wrote to Curry in a memo within a half an hour of that conversation in the basement, drove J. Edgar Hoover completely off the deep end..

 

Up until that time, local police units from around the country had been invited to attend an annual training regimen at the national FBI Training Academy.

After this major blowup, Dallas was no longer invited to attend those training sessions.

Here;s a listing of the 1959  Dallas personnel graduates. Look who else was in that graduating class with Lumpkin:

2094507409_LumpkinFBIgraduate.jpg.aa38adf42c959190aeb77eab780680b2.jpg

 

https://archive.org/stream/nsia-wackenhut/Wackenhut%20Corp.-HQ-1_djvu.txt

Dallas - Paul Harvey Ashenhust, Inspector, PD 
Dallas - Glenn Winston Byrd, Justice of the Peace, Dallas County 
Dallas - Alden C. Cantrell, Captain, PD (Retired)
Dallas - Jesse E. Curry, Asst. Chief of Police, PD
Dallas - Walter C. Fannin, Captain, PD 
Dallas - Newton T. Fisher, Captain, PD 
Dallas - William P. Gannaway, Captain, PD 
Dallas - Orville A. Jones, Captain, PD 
Dallas - Forrest E. Keene, Chief of Police, University Park 
Dallas - Royal Hobart Kelley, Deputy Sheriff, Dallas County SO 
Dallas - Tyree B. Leonard, Lieutenant, PD 
Dallas - Dallas A. Loe, Inspector, PD (Retired) 
Dallas - George L. Lumpkin, Deputy Chief of Police, PD 
Dallas - Erskin Lewis Munday, Lieutenant, PD 
Dallas - Arthur Evert Nobles, Detective, Highland Park PD 
Dallas - C. E. Oliver, Detective, PD 
Dallas - Edward Preston, Inspector, PD 
Dallas - Lloyd S. Reeves, Captain, PD 
Dallas - Harry T. Riddell, Captain, PD (Retired) 
Dallas - James Lee Riddle, Lieutenant, PD 
Dallas - J. Herbert Sawyer, Inspector, PD 
Dallas - J. M. Solomon, Captain of Police, PD 
Dallas - James M. Souter, Lieutenant, PD 
Dallas - Ted P, Wells, Lieutenant, PD 
Dallas - W. R. Westbrook, Captain, PD 
Dallas - John Charles Wilson, Lieutenant, PD 

 

Steve Thomas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Secret Order: Investigating the High Strangeness and Synchronicity in the ...

By H. Albarelli, Jr.


https://books.google.com/books?id=SfoBBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT221&lpg=PT221&dq=Brandstetter+Cuba&source=bl&ots=tI-Y8QgEPy&sig=gUCFwGQAiI40N5JY4bp2LrsK-G4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiG9eTK1YDcAhUh9IMKHdn1CEEQ6AEIODAD#v=onepage&q=Brandstetter Cuba&f=false

 

image.png.5c50e7b379377378e0992afd690060cb.png

 

Steve Thomas

Steve, this is off topic from what you and Larry were discussing but caught my interest.  "longtime friends, as was Brandstetter with U.S. Army Intelligence officer Colonel George Lumpkin...(Deputy Police Chief).  Brandstetter was also very close to David Altee Philips..."

I know Lumpkin was near the top of the 488th military intelligence reserves in Dallas in 1963.  Was he in Army Intelligence while in the Army?  I looked a little, in his obituary his daughter mentions him getting the Bronze Star for capturing 39 prisoners (Korea?) but nothing else.  It says he was born in "Texas".  Lead motorcycle cop Bill Lumpkin was born in Avery, Texas, were they related?  After driving the lead car with Whitmeyer (his unauthorized "guest') in it he rushed back from Parkland to be the first officer there to (finally) seal off the TSBD, which "trapped" military intelligence officer James Powell (looking for a phone?).  Both were there when "the" rifle was found.  Lumpkin was also the DPD officer consulted by the Secret Service who told them the Industrial Blvd. route from Dealy Plaza was full of wino's and broken pavement and would have small crowds while JFK was seeking exposure.

I guess my thought is, if Brandstetter was "close" to Phillips, and a longtime friend of Lumpkin, might Phillips of the CIA had an "in" to the DPD through Brandstetter/Lumpkin?  I've thought Somebody did for a longtime.  I guess Lumpkin knew Westbrook, Hill, Bentley, Batchelor and many more.  I wonder if he knew Ruby?    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

At around 3:00 - 3:15 PM on the afternoon of November 22, 1963, Lieutenant Jack Revill of the DPD and James Hosty of the FBI had a conversation in the basement of City Hall.

Exactly what was said in that conversation caused a major blowup between the FBI and the Dallas Police. You can read about the controversy in Jack Revill's WC and HSCA testimony.

"Jim Hosty knew, that Lee Oswald was capable of killing the President."

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/jfkinfo2/jfk4/hscarevl.htm

What Revill said, and what he wrote to Curry in a memo within a half an hour of that conversation in the basement, drove J. Edgar Hoover completely off the deep end..

 

Up until that time, local police units from around the country had been invited to attend an annual training regimen at the national FBI Training Academy.

After this major blowup, Dallas was no longer invited to attend those training sessions.

Here;s a listing of the 1959  Dallas personnel graduates. Look who else was in that graduating class with Lumpkin:

2094507409_LumpkinFBIgraduate.jpg.aa38adf42c959190aeb77eab780680b2.jpg

 


https://archive.org/stream/nsia-wackenhut/Wackenhut%20Corp.-HQ-1_djvu.txt

Dallas - Paul Harvey Ashenhust, Inspector, PD 
Dallas - Glenn Winston Byrd, Justice of the Peace, Dallas County 
Dallas - Alden C. Cantrell, Captain, PD (Retired)
Dallas - Jesse E. Curry, Asst. Chief of Police, PD
Dallas - Walter C. Fannin, Captain, PD 
Dallas - Newton T. Fisher, Captain, PD 
Dallas - William P. Gannaway, Captain, PD 
Dallas - Orville A. Jones, Captain, PD 
Dallas - Forrest E. Keene, Chief of Police, University Park 
Dallas - Royal Hobart Kelley, Deputy Sheriff, Dallas County SO 
Dallas - Tyree B. Leonard, Lieutenant, PD 
Dallas - Dallas A. Loe, Inspector, PD (Retired) 
Dallas - George L. Lumpkin, Deputy Chief of Police, PD 
Dallas - Erskin Lewis Munday, Lieutenant, PD 
Dallas - Arthur Evert Nobles, Detective, Highland Park PD 
Dallas - C. E. Oliver, Detective, PD 
Dallas - Edward Preston, Inspector, PD 
Dallas - Lloyd S. Reeves, Captain, PD 
Dallas - Harry T. Riddell, Captain, PD (Retired) 
Dallas - James Lee Riddle, Lieutenant, PD 
Dallas - J. Herbert Sawyer, Inspector, PD 
Dallas - J. M. Solomon, Captain of Police, PD 
Dallas - James M. Souter, Lieutenant, PD 
Dallas - Ted P, Wells, Lieutenant, PD 
Dallas - W. R. Westbrook, Captain, PD 
Dallas - John Charles Wilson, Lieutenant, PD 

 

Steve Thomas

Curry and Westbrook?  I wonder if Dallas Co. JP Glenn Byrd might be related to TSBD owner Harold "Dry Hole" Byrd?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...