The Education Forum

Robert Kennedy assassinated June 5, 1968

The national guard was called out around the nation,  we go into this a bit in our MLK books, as to how bad the riots were and how much destruction there was.....it was massive.  In fact the AG admitted later that the only reason they had issued the statement that Ray was the lone shooter was in an effort to suppress the growth in the riots to some extent.   You can readily find photos of armed national guardsmen controlling streets full of burned out buildings.

As to smaller cities, I doubt it.  I was in Albuquerque and I recall some police sirens but not much beyond the average night,  certainly no major violence and certainly no curfew.  Actually in a number of smaller cities and especially college towns there were student marches protesting his death and those were all peaceful.

Of course of you read Stu and my books you find our conclusion that the assassination conspiracy was to start a huge wave of race riots and black violence in turning triggering a virtual race war.  It got bad, not that bad, and not nearly as bad in the south as in major metropolitan areas which had already been experiencing serious race riots during the past two summers. 

On 6/6/2019 at 12:14 AM, Stephanie Goldberg said:

I love a story with a happy ending!  

Actually my granddaughter was also born on June 5th, my son's daughter, not the daughter I delivered's child.  So a doubly happy day for me in that respect.

But I didn't know Fletcher Prouty died on this day until I ran across this.  Though I've not listened to it yet, an amazing list of credits for reference.

https://blackopradio.com/archives2019.html