The Education Forum

Robert Kennedy assassinated June 5, 1968

4 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

A sad day for most of the USA.

I know Don Nixon and Maheu celebrated the next morning after he died.  But I've seen the pictures of the people paying respect as the train passed with his body on it.  I don't remember it.  Which seems unusual to me because I do remember JFK's death. 

I'd just turned 7 when JFK died.  I remember walking home from school for lunch then when I went back no one was there but the teacher who was crying and said no more school today, go back home.  Then nothing but news on the Black and White TV, no Saturday morning cartoons.  Then a funeral parade with a saddled rider less horse with empty boots turned backwards in the stirrups.  I remember asking, daddy why?  My favorite show was the rifleman, I was aware of saddles and stirrups as well as in real life.  Strange what we do remember.  I don't remember his answer.

I was 11 1/2 when RFK died.  I don't remember any news about it or anyone talking about it.  School was out, the start of summer, good chance I was outside playing until dark.  But was their less intense TV coverage or did I just miss it all?

Two months before he spoke the night MLK died.

http://kennedykingindy.org/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rfk+funeral&view=detail&mid=10342B72DE29E46406A710342B72DE29E46406A7&FORM=VIRE

Before this day is over I'd like to acknowledge a personal happier note.  28 years ago about 12:15 AM I delivered my daughter.  Me and 911.  Unintentionally, she came quick.  I yelled "she's not breathing".  The lady calmly said turn her over onto her belly in one hand and pat her back with the other.  I did.  She coughed.  Been breathing ever since! 

14 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Before this day is over I'd like to acknowledge a personal happier note.  28 years ago about 12:15 AM I delivered my daughter.  Me and 911.  Unintentionally, she came quick.  I yelled "she's not breathing".  The lady calmly said turn her over onto her belly in one hand and pat her back with the other.  I did.  She coughed.  Been breathing ever since! 

I love a story with a happy ending!  

22 hours ago, Stephanie Goldberg said:

Wow.  Your post made me realize a similar thing.   I remember when MLK was shot, but I do not remember anything about the time when RFK was shot.    Then again, there was a curfew in our town right after MLK was killed, and obviously there wasn't anything of the kind after RFK's murder.

That curfew - was that in a major US city?

The riots, curfew and fear across the nation was immense following MLK's death; there was nothing comparable at all for RFK at the time (saying this from personal experience).   RFK's murder was taken more as a personal tragedy (outside of LA where the Mayor immediately tried to blame it on the commies). Generally no single motive was immediately or widely assumed as far as I recall.

After RFK's death there was a huge reaction of sadness (and to some extent defeat for the anti-war movement, but of course there were other strong anti-war voices and candidates) - very much different from MLK where he had been the outstanding voice for non-violence and where a single motive was immediately assumed.

JFK, RFK and MLK were the most powerful threats to the controlling old guard power structure in this country ... ever.

They had all reached a level of influence and popularity with the general population ( RFK would have had this had he been elected President ) that had they not been eliminated they could have made such major changes in every area of old guard power and control, we might have seen our nation finally realize it's full liberty and justice for all potential free of the strangling corruption of the small minority self-interested elite.

An elite, super aggressive, Type A, never enough wealth and control obsessed minority class that has always been with us.  

Remember they tried to get rid of common man suffering concerned Franklin Roosevelt during the 1930's as well. Thank God for Marine General Smedley Butler.

Too bad we didn't have a Smedley Butler around in late 1963 to guard and protect JFK.

3 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

The riots, curfew and fear across the nation was immense following MLK's death; there was nothing comparable at all for RFK at the time (saying this from personal experience).   RFK's murder was taken more as a personal tragedy (outside of LA where the Mayor immediately tried to blame it on the commies). Generally no single motive was immediately or widely assumed as far as I recall.

After RFK's death there was a huge reaction of sadness (and to some extent defeat for the anti-war movement, but of course there were other strong anti-war voices and candidates) - very much different from MLK where he had been the outstanding voice for non-violence and where a single motive was immediately assumed.

Larry, I'm surprised that the rioting cities weren't put down with extreme and murderous force.  I suspect it might have happened over a night of riots under Nixon (Kent State, Jackson State, viz).  I worry that it could happen under the current admin, were another Ferguson rising to occur.  We're certainly intolerant and heedless enough these days.

Stephanie made me wonder, though, how many smaller cities imposed paranoid curfews and alerts on MLK night.