The Education Forum

Nuremberg prosecutor protests US's latest assassination

Letter to the Editor, New York Times, January 16, 2020, protesting the United States' latest assassination:

To the Editor:

Now in my hundredth year, I cannot remain silent. I entered the United States in January 1921 as a poor immigrant boy, and I have felt obliged to repay the United States for the opportunities given to me.

I was an American combat soldier in World War II, and was proud to serve my country as the chief prosecutor in a war crimes trial at Nuremberg against Nazi leaders who murdered millions of innocent men, women and children.

The administration recently announced that, on orders of the president, the United States had “taken out” (which really means “murdered”) an important military leader of a country with which we were not at war. As a Harvard Law School graduate who has written extensively on the subject, I view such immoral action as a clear violation of national and international law.

The public is entitled to know the truth. The United Nations Charter, the International Criminal Court and the International Court of Justice in The Hague are all being bypassed. In this cyberspace world, young people everywhere are in mortal danger unless we change the hearts and minds of those who seem to prefer war to law.

Benjamin B. Ferencz
Delray Beach, Fla.

1 hour ago, Joseph McBride said:
Letter to the Editor, New York Times, January 16, 2020, protesting the United States' latest assassination:

"The administration recently announced that, on orders of the president, the United States had “taken out” (which really means “murdered”) an important military leader of a country with which we were not at war."

Benjamin B. Ferencz
Delray Beach, Fla.

Joseph,

Thanks for this.

I'm glad that somebody is calling it for what it is.

Trump bragged that he could stand in the middle of 5th Ave and shoot somebody and get away with it.

Well, he's done just that.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

54 minutes ago, Joseph McBride said:

To the Editor:

Now in my hundredth year, I cannot remain silent. I entered the United States in January 1921 as a poor immigrant boy, and I have felt obliged to repay the United States for the opportunities given to me.

I was an American combat soldier in World War II, and was proud to serve my country as the chief prosecutor in a war crimes trial at Nuremberg against Nazi leaders who murdered millions of innocent men, women and children.

The administration recently announced that, on orders of the president, the United States had “taken out” (which really means “murdered”) an important military leader of a country with which we were not at war. As a Harvard Law School graduate who has written extensively on the subject, I view such immoral action as a clear violation of national and international law.

The public is entitled to know the truth. The United Nations Charter, the International Criminal Court and the International Court of Justice in The Hague are all being bypassed. In this cyberspace world, young people everywhere are in mortal danger unless we change the hearts and minds of those who seem to prefer war to law.

Benjamin B. Ferencz
Delray Beach, Fla.

Well said by Benjamin Ferencz. Now it is up to the American Senate to right the problem, if enough of the Trumpicans have the cojones.