The Education Forum

Living In A Ghost Town

These old geezers from the UK reworked a song they'd recorded for it's relevance today.  Pretty good job.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/23/the-rolling-stones-living-in-a-ghost-town-best-new-song-in-years-coronavirus-crisis

Edited by Ron Bulman

59 minutes ago, Steve Cearfoss said:

Isn’t this just a little off topic?

Yes a little but not totally unrelated.  I started to just post it in the Plague Journal thread, probably should have.  I thought it would probably get buried there and hoped it would be enjoyed by more people by starting this thread.  The song is relevant to people worldwide in our current situation.  The Stones have taken us from JFK's assassination E.G., Paint It Black,  to Sympathy for The Devil shouting out who killed the Kennedy's, to today.  They were there, a part of society commenting on it in the aftermath, and still are commenting about society if not JFK per se.  Was JFK's assassination the tipping point that led us to the world we have today, not just the coronavirus but the lack of leadership in it and other respects?   It's not Murder Most Foul, directly related, with four or five threads here.  Just wanted to share something new I thought kind of related others might relate to and enjoy while SIP'ing.

Edited by Ron Bulman

"Give a big Canada Cheer for Superhero frontline workers far and near." ...  For Bob Prudhome, wherever he is.

Edited by Ron Bulman

Actually I also thought maybe the video might draw visitors to this site.  Obviously that hasn't worked in the last 24 hours.  Since the thread hasn't been deleted or moved yet it might be noted the video does have two million view's in a day on you tube, also the Stones first number one hit in 40 years. 

https://deadline.com/2020/04/the-rolling-stones-itunes-living-in-a-ghost-town-1202917713/

I try not to post off-topic, but I'll make an exception because, hey, it's the Rolling Stones.

I'm a long time fan that is always interested in new music, and was very excited to hear the rumors buzzing on the fan forum the day before and then counting down to whatever was supposed to happen at noon that day. Luckily the rumors were true, and it was the surprise release of a great new single. I really enjoy the changes in the song. First it's a laid back groove, then it gets intense, and then there's that sweet reggae dub breakdown. The only bad thing is that breakdown is so short. It makes me want it to go on and on. Apparently the song was recorded a year ago with only minor updates to the lyrics.

Reaction from the fans and casual music listeners seems to be almost entirely positive. I look forward to hopefully hearing a full new album sooner rather than later. Viva le Rolling Stones!

Ron

I second Denny's comments.  I am a huge Stones fan, and glad to see them doing their thing during these unusual times.   They always remind me of the chaotic late 60's as I was graduating from HS and entering college.  Sympathy for the Devil was inspired by the French poet Charles Baudelaire (and Bob Dylan), and the classic line about the killing the Kennedys has an interesting backstory. In a 1995 interview with Rolling Stone, Jagger said,

"I think that was taken from an old idea of Baudelaire's, I think, but I could be wrong. Sometimes when I look at my Baudelaire books, I can't see it in there. But it was an idea I got from French writing. And I just took a couple of lines and expanded on it. I wrote it as sort of like a Bob Dylan song. it's a very long historical figure — the figures of evil and figures of good — so it is a tremendously long trail he's made as personified in this piece."   

The lyrics focus on atrocities in the history of mankind from Satan's point of view including the death of Jesus ("Pilate washed his hands to seal his fate"), wars of religion ("I watched with glee while your kings and queens fought for ten decades for the gods they made"), the violence of the Russian revolution of 1917 and the 1918, and WW II. The song was originally written with the line "I shouted out 'Who killed Kennedy" (singular) but after RFK's murder on June 6th, the line was changed to "Who killed the Kennedys?"  And the answer is "when after all it was you and me", which is a way of saying that the devil is not the 'other one', but eventually each one of us. Some belive that he is taunting all of us for ignoring the larger plot and the real perpetrators. The recording of "Sympathy for the Devil" began on June 4th, 1968 and continued into the next day; overdubs were done on June 8-10 (Bobby Kennedy was murdered on June 6th). We were treated to Nicky Hopkins on the keyboards and Charlie Watts influenced the song's jazz Latin feel (i.e. a samba groove).  Brian Jones plays congas on the original track.  In later years, Mick stopped using the "who killed the Kennedy's" verse allegedly out of respect for (or perhaps a request from) the Kennedy family. He dropped the lyric in live shows around 2002 starting with the Bigger Bang tour.  

Billy Joel has a lesser known tribute to the JFK murder ("JFK blown away, what else do I have to say?"). When he first heard of Kennedy's death, Joel told the Associated Press, he first tried to console a fellow eighth grade classmate who was crying. Then he took a long walk, feeling "a deep bitterness and a despair I had never before experienced in my life." Years later, after hearing too many stories about the good old days, Joel wrote this song to prove the good old days weren't always good, pairing the good and bad events that shaped his youth, including, as he angrily put it: "JFK blown away, what else do I have to say?"

Gene