The Education Forum

Taped President LBJ Phone Conversations Very Interesting and Revealing Yet Hardly Viewed.

Only 2000+ views?

These two with future U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas ( who was later forced to resign from the court for ethics violations ) about LBJ aide Walter Jenkins being picked up on "a morals charge" and how LBJ and others could keep this real story from the public of Jenkins disappearing for awhile with the cover story of him  being admitted to a hospital on doctors orders for "hypertension" and "nervous exhaustion."

I stumbled upon many dozens of these taped LBJ conversations which contain some mind blowing content, much of which reveals the blatant darker side deception character of LBJ and his cohorts.

I am re-looking for one I found and posted a few years ago of LBJ on a conference call to his advisor team discussing how to deal with information about LBJ's corrupt business dealings in Texas that was getting exposed and was so worrisome to LBJ he stated he could wind up in jail if this situation got too publicly exposed.

The voices on this LBJ/Abe Fortas  call are so hushed, you can barely make out much of what they are saying. I think this hushing was purposeful in that Fortas probably knew he was being taped.

By the way, Fortas once claimed he resigned from the U.S. Supreme Court to protect fellow Justice William Douglas who was also being investigated for ethics violations.

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEcCNACELwBSFXyq4

LBJ and Abe Fortas, 10/14/64 3.56p 1 of 2.

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEcCNACELwBSFXyq4
image.gif.9867369e1b96a65be8074ea9290fa1ab.gif

LBJ and Abe Fortas, 10/14/64 3.56p 2 of 2.

How about this call from LBJ to Alan Dulles where LBJ orders him to serve on the commission to investigate the murder of "our beloved" President JFK?
h instead for lbj phone conversation with alan dulles
hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEcCOADEI4CSFXyq4

7.3K views8 years ago

Warren Commission: Telephon

Edited by Joe Bauer

• 2 years later...

LIFE magazine was working on an expose of LBJ which they felt was so damning that it would result in LBJ being bumped from the JFK ticket in 1964. 

Ironically, the LBJ expose was slated to run in the very issue LIFE instead had to devote to the JFKA. 

After that, LIFE kept back the expose. I assume "for the good of the country." 

1 hour ago, Benjamin Cole said:

LIFE magazine was working on an expose of LBJ which they felt was so damning that it would result in LBJ being bumped from the JFK ticket in 1964. 

Ironically, the LBJ expose was slated to run in the very issue LIFE instead had to devote to the JFKA. 

After that, LIFE kept back the expose. I assume "for the good of the country." 

Exactly right.

If JFK isn't removed LBJ goes down.

Putting the first linked call from White House attorney Abe Fortas to LBJ on the highest volume setting, I could still only hear and understand maybe half of what Fortas was telling LBJ.

LBJ himself kept saying... "I can't hear you...can you speak up?"

It seemed as if what Fortas was sharing with LBJ was so damning, that he thought keeping it just above a whisper was warranted.

Fortas asked LBJ if it was alright to share what he was saying on that line.

Obviously Fortas feared the line might be taped...which it was!

The gist of what I heard was that LBJ's top aide Walter Jenkins was caught in a bathroom rendezvous with another man. A morals charge affair that LBJ's top people feared may hurt LBJ's election vote numbers in the one month away election of 1964.

The incident was successfully downplayed and even purposely kept out of many top news outlets and did not hurt LBJ's huge majority election results.

Still, Jenkins had to resign over the incident.

His top presidential aide position was filled by Bill Moyers.

LBJ asked his great friend J. Edgar Hoover if perhaps they had missed Jenkin's proclivity problem in their background checks of White House employees, especially since Jenkins had been involved in a similar affair in 1959.

Hoover said "no...they hadn't missed anything."

Hmmm...maybe Hoover didn't think this aspect of Jenkin's personal behavior was ... well ... worth worrying about?

Edited by Joe Bauer

After November 22, 1963 I wouldn't trust any recording in the Oval Office and LBJ phone lines. Not that recordings are fake but LBJ acting knowing the phones were being recorded. I was hoping later on in his Presidency we could get him hysterical again about communism like he did with JFKA. The 1964 Oscar for best performance in an Assassination goes to...LBJ! 

Edited by Paul Cummings