The Education Forum

The Ordeal of Malcolm Perry

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From UPI, 11/30/1963, Battle to save president was futile, doctors knew by Bryce Miller:

Baxter turned to turned to Dr. Charles Crenshaw standing beside him.

"Take her to a lounge where she can lie down," he instructed. He wanted Mrs. Kennedy to take a sedative.

Crenshaw took her arm and turned her toward a small anteroom. Mrs. Kennedy turned back.

"Please, I would like to stay here," she said.

[...]

More doctors rushed to Kennedy's side. There were 15 in all. Besides Perry, Carrico and Baxter, there were Drs. William Kemp Clark, chairman of neurosurgery; Robert McClelland, assistant professor of surgery; M. T. Jenkins, chairman of anesthesiology; Fouad A. Bashour, associate professor of internal medicine; Adolph Giesecke, clinical associate in anesthesiology; Paul C. Peters, assistant professor urology; Dr. Ronald C. Jones, senior resident in surgery; Charles Crenshaw, surgery resident; Gene Akin, anesthesiology fellow; Don Curtis, oral surgery resident, and Kenneth Salyer, surgery resident.

• 3 weeks later...

On 5/24/2021 at 10:38 PM, James DiEugenio said:

I really don't have to describe this article. 

Except, as one will see, I owe the climactic info in it to Rob Couteau and Bob Tanenbaum.

The cover up was being enacted in about 90 minutes.  That is how fast they knew, Tanebaum says it was probably an hour, and I cannot argue with that.

https://kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/the-ordeal-of-malcolm-perry

I just found a 2014 McClelland interview where he says the following, 24:06 in: https://www.parklandsurgical.com/home/2014/7/25/a-conversation-with-dr-robert-mcclelland

Audience member: I read that Mac Perry originally had said that he characterized the neck wound as a quote 'wound of entrance'. And I also know that subsequent to that, to his dying day, he never spoke about it again. 

McClelland: He would not say anything to anybody, me or any other- anybody at all, he was just completely- said nothing. Recently I read a book out of all of the some three thousand books that are written about this, and apparently, according to the author of this book, someone had come up to Dr. Perry after he gave his initial testimony- or, not testimony, but initial interview to the many newsmen that were gathered in the grand rounds room at Parkland right after this event happened. And Dr. Perry had made a comment about this being possibly an entrance wound in his neck. And according to this book, and this again is, you know, maybe [inaudible], maybe not. Someone with an American flag in his lapel, you know, you know, you know, Secret Service man, maybe not, came up to him and he said 'Dr. Perry', he said, 'whatever you do, do not ever say that that was an entrance wound again if you know what's good for you'. Other than that, Not only did Dr. Perry never say that was an entrance wound, he never said anything, period, at all about it to me or to anybody else. And he left town right after this event and went down to South Texas where his mother-in-law lived.

Edited by Micah Mileto

Not a problem at all. 

McClelland is correct about the first point since he was there.  In fact he is the source.

He is wrong about the other point since he was not there.

Just now, James DiEugenio said:

Not a problem at all. 

McClelland is correct about the first point since he was there.  In fact he is the source.

He is wrong about the other point since he was not there.

Is there any chance McClelland is referring to something from Beyond The Fence Line? I have heard him mention that book before. I've never heard of any book that contains this story of Perry being warned.

Its in the film, The Parkland Doctors.

On 10/8/2021 at 11:24 PM, James DiEugenio said:

Its in the film, The Parkland Doctors.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/11/19/as-50th-anniversary-of-assassination-approaches-surgeon-who-treated-jfk-remembers/

And like many, Dr. McClelland has struggled to fill in the blanks about the details of the assassination himself. He frequently references one book “of the 32,000 out there” on the event – JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters, by James W. Douglass, which argues that military and intelligence agencies in the U.S. are responsible for President Kennedy’s assassination and the subsequent cover-up. According to Douglass, those organizations were upset by JFK’s evolving stance on the Cold War and, desperate to win, they plotted Kennedy’s death because he was “getting in the way” of their plans for a nuclear strike.

For McClelland, that book seems to offer answers to the questions he’s been grappling with over the last fifty years – in particular, why his colleague, Dr. Perry, who also treated the President that day, would never speak of the assassination (“If you ever even mentioned the assassination [to Dr. Perry], he would cloud up and say, ‘I don’t talk about that,’ period.”) If you take Douglass at his word, a Secret Service agent approached Perry shortly after he’d given a description of JFK’s wounds to the media – when he’d pointed to his neck and seemed to imply that the entrance wound was there. That agent supposedly threatened Perry, ordering him never to talk about the assassination again…”or else,” Dr. McClelland emphasizes.

From JFK and the Unspeakable:

Dr. Perry's retraction was not only manipulated but given under stress. He had been threatened beforehand by "the men in suits," specifically the Secret Service. As Dallas Secret Service agent Elmer Moore would admit to a friend years later, he "had been ordered to tell Dr. Perry to change his testimony. " Moore said that in threatening Perry, he acted " on orders from Washington and Mr. Kelly of the Secret Service Headquarters. "555

Moore confessed his intimidation of Dr. Perry to a University of Washington graduate student, Jim Gochenaur, with whom he became friendly in Seattle in 1970. Moore told Gochenaur he "had badgered Dr. Perry" into "making a flat statement that there was no entry wound in the neck."556 Moore admitted, " I regret what I had to do with Dr. Perry. "557 However, with his fellow agents, he had been given "marching orders from Washington. " He felt he had no choice: "I did everything I was told, we all did everything we were told, or we'd get our heads cut off. "558 In the cover-up, the men in suits were both the intimidators and the intimidated.

[...Notes]

555 . House Select Committee witness Jim Gochenaur to interviewer Bob Kelley on Gochenaur's conversations with Secret Service agent Elmer Moore. Notes by Bob Kelley on June 6, 1975; pp. 3-4. JFK Record Number 157-10005-10280.

556. From transcribed copy by House Select Committee on Assassinations of taperecorded conversation with James Gochenaur, May 10, 1977, p. 22. JFK Record Number 180-10086-10438.

557. Author's interview with Jim Gochenaur, April 28, 2007.

558. Moore cited by Gochenaur. HSCA conversation with Gochenaur, May 10, 1977, p. 23. Also Jim Gochenaur's letter to the author, October 23, 2007.

Edited by Micah Mileto