The Education Forum

Destroying the WC Lies --- The Rifle, Part IX

EVIDENCE THAT THE SCOPE ON THE DEPOSITORY RIFLE WAS NOT MOUNTED BY KLEIN'S

(Author's note: I apologize for not being able to post the photographs with this thread, but I'm limited to only 19.93kB )

As I've already shown in a previous segment, the ad that the Commission says Hidell/Oswald ordered his rifle from was for the 36 inch length MC that was offered with the scope. The Klein's employee who originated the idea of mounting a scope on the rifle was Mitchell Westra. He told the House Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA) that during March 1963, Klein's only mounted the scope on the 36 inch MC.

The man who actually mounted the scopes for Klein's was Bill Sharp, their in-house gunsmith. He confirmed to the HSCA what Westra told them: the March 1963 package deal with the scope was for the 36 inch MC ONLY.

Confirmation that Klein's did not mount scopes on the 40" rifle came in the testimony of FBI firearms expert Robert Frazier, who told the Warren Commission that when the FBI ordered a duplicate rifle to the Depository rifle from Klein's, they had to tell them where to put the mount for the scope:

Mr. FRAZIER. We contacted the firm, Klein's Sporting Goods in Chicago, and asked them concerning this matter to provide us with a similar rifle mounted in the way in which they normally mount scopes of this type on these rifles, and forward the rifle to us for examination.
In this connection, we did inform them that the scope should be in approximately this position on the frame of the weapon.
Mr. EISENBERG. Pardon me, Mr. Frazier. When you say "this position," so that the record is clear could you--
Mr. FRAZIER. Oh, yes; in the position in which it now is, approximately three-eighths of an inch to the rear of the receiver ring.
( 3 H 396 )

The FBI had to tell Klein's where to mount the scope because Klein's normally did not mount scopes on these 40" rifles.

FRIDAY THE FINALE: The Smoking Gun

In the ad, they did offer a package for the 36 inch with scope right?

DId they offer a 40 inch package with scope?

7 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

In the ad, they did offer a package for the 36 inch with scope right?

DId they offer a 40 inch package with scope?

36 inch package with the scope mounted in house by Klein's.

They claimed they never mounted scopes on the 40 inch. The ad says 40" with scope. It may have been a package, but not mounted. Buyer have your guy mount it. That's the way I read it.

7 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Gil - great series.  Do you know if the 36" MC required a side-mounted scope?  It would have to, yes?

I would think so. But i can't say for sure. There may be some on youtube or online for sale it would be interesting to check.