The Education Forum

RARE- Texas School Book Depository roof and Hertz sign 5/1/78

In the early days of the investigation, wasn't a bottom-rim or something removed from that window-frame ? 

I believe they removed it to look for certain possible marks ?

17 hours ago, Robin Unger said:

Thank you, Robin. Exactly what I was looking for. 

Sheesh, I knew the sign was huge but didn’t know it was 100 feet long by 23 ft high! 

Even if it was intact that’s just too large an artifact to deal with for the 6th floor museum. So I guess the Z is all we get now… 

Thanks to all who replied with more info. So helpful. You guys are amazing! 

Edited by Lori Spencer

11 hours ago, Vince Palamara said:

When Byrd was standing at the window, in a sniper’s stance, he looked like he was living out a weird happy fantasy… 

I remember that fire and always wondered if it was a deliberate arson job for insurance money. Dallas really, really, really didn’t want that building becoming a tourist attraction. 

17 hours ago, Lori Spencer said:

When Byrd was standing at the window, in a sniper’s stance, he looked like he was living out a weird happy fantasy… 

I remember that fire and always wondered if it was a deliberate arson job for insurance money. Dallas really, really, really didn’t want that building becoming a tourist attraction. 

Yes- I agree!

I can see the suspicions of arson for the very same reason.

17 hours ago, Lori Spencer said:

Well, I’ll be damned. Thanks, David! 

Was the arsonist ever caught? 

A suspect was caught, who received probation, accusing the then owner of prompting him to do it, his employer.  Mayhew wanted to build a museum.  Dallas told him no, he lived inside the TSBD while he owned it.  See the Bernice Moore post of Ann Zimmerman's story I linked above.

Edited by Ron Bulman