The Education Forum

Lee Oswald - The Cop-Killer

Richard Price

For more on Thomas Dodd, see the article written by Lisa Pease in 1996 for Probe magazine, "Thomas J. Dodd & Son: Corruption of Blood?"  Lisa highlighted the following comment by author George Michael Evica, who in an issue of The Assassination Chronicles, alleged that:

Strong circumstantial evidence supports the conclusion that Senator Thomas Dodd (or someone close to Dodd with access to his committee files) ordered weapons in the name of either Oswald or Hidell …

Lisa's article goes on to state that this is beyond speculation, as Evica had “two unimpeachable sources" who confirm the above. Unfortunately, Evica did not share his sources on this. Dodd was interested in the places from which both of the Oswald weapons (rifle and revolver) came. Dodd's committee spent a good deal of time on Seaport Traders of Los Angeles. In the article "The Gun That Didn't Smoke" (1997) by Graf and Bartholomew, they point out that Dodd was also investigating the Fair Play for Cuba Committee (FPCC) in which Oswald may have been an infiltrator. They also reference the work of P. D. Scott and other sources in developing additional intriguing links:

In a curious development to those who follow the Robert Kennedy assassination, Manny Pena, in charge of the RFK investigation for the LAPD, was a witness to Dodd’s committee on Seaport’s activities. It was Pena who traced Oswald's telescopic sight to a California gun shop. One of the primary culprits, robbing domestic manufacturers of profits, was the Mannlicher-Carcano. After the assassination, Dodd helped the Senate Internal Security Subcommittee publish a story that Oswald bad been trained at a KGB assassination school in Minsk. Dodd was on the payroll of the American Security Council; an organization advocating removal of Castro from Cuba and escalation of the war in Vietnam.

In 1967, the U.S. Senate took up the motion that would lead to the formal censure of second-term Connecticut Senator Thomas J. Dodd for financial improprieties. The motion to censure stemmed from accusations that Dodd had used funds from his reelection campaign for personal use. Dodd became one of only eight people ever formally censured by the U. S. Senate, and the first since Joseph McCarthy in 1954.

Gene

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Bill Brown said:

Can you imagine having a discussion about an Oswald/Hidell wallet at the scene of the homicide and not filing a report on it?

And DiEugenio does not bat an eyelash.

Are you serious?

You don't think that once they got back to the station they realized this was a problem?

There is actually film of this wallet at the scene.  And its a different wallet.

Farris Rookstool, an FBI flunky, later admitted, when it could not be covered up anymore, that this was Oswald's wallet.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/texas/wallet-mystery-from-officer-tippits-murder-settled-after-50-years/285-320671136

And you are right Mr. Cummings, there is back up for Craig on the Nash Rambler.

There is also back up for Craig on the Mauser, and also the shell placement.

Sandy Larsen wrecked Brown's argument about the later time for the shooting on the other thread, so who is he  talking to?  

Brown should have never started this thread. He is getting slaughtered. 

Edited by James DiEugenio

6 hours ago, Paul Cummings said:

Three other witnesses along with Craig said Oswald got in the Nash Rambler.

Nope.

They said they saw a man get in the Rambler.  They did not say it was Oswald.

16 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Seven posts in a row without objection.  And a Large emoji.  You must be right.

DiEugenio makes 8 posts in a row and you don't say a word.  Don't be such a follower.

I will not reply to BB anymore.  Its silly to get into a back and forth with him.

Let me state what I think is important to understand.

I do not buy Westbrook's story of a personnel director just listening to his radio and walking around aimlessly, and lo and behold ending up at the Tippit murder scene.

I do not buy Croy's story of being a reservist, just happening to be in the area near the fire house, seeing his estranged partner, breaking the appointment, and ending up at the Tippit murder scene.

Can one imagine what somebody like Sprague would have done to these guys?

Now, with that in the book, how does it end up that 

1. Westbrook just happened to find a jacket that gets attributed to Oswald, from a person who he cannot name.

2. Croy ends up with the wallet, from a person he cannot name.

Finally, when one goes over the evidence, who saw the wallet on the ground?

So this is the difference: people like Brown are willing to swallow these tall tales from the most corrupt police department in the country and ignore what would happen to them at a real trial--which Oswald never had.

The Tippit case, in the light of what we know today, is a real loser for their side. BB can kick and scream all he wants but that is what it is for them.  And for someone to come on here and start two threads one with wrong way Callaway and one saying LHO killed Tippit, that is like a boxer going to the center of the ring and leading with his chin.

By the way, I like what Ian Kingsbury used to say about the WC zealots who bandied around as fact, the testimony and exhibits from the WC. He used to say something like this:

The problem with what you are saying is simple: it was never tested to find out if it could stand up to analysis and examination.  Here is more on this point from Jack M's article :

“We never worked on any of his (Tippit’s) murder, because there was no use making a murder case (with the suspect dead),” admitted former District Attorney Henry Wade in an interview with veteran Tippit researcher Joseph McBride. “I think we had enough evidence that Oswald did it.”

And despite Belin’s “Rosetta Stone” reference, not only did Dallas authorities abandon the Tippit case, but the Warren Commission, according to McBride, showed “almost no real interest in solving the crime … the commission was deliberately stonewalling a serious investigation of Tippit.”

This is what never happened with Croy, Westbrook and Hill.  One might also add the timing of the shooting, which Sandy has done such a nice job on.  

From Jack Meyers' Article at Kennedys and King.com:

Spence’s final question for witness Ted Calloway was to ask him if he could identify someone in a particular photo. This was the infamous and controversial “Doorman” photo taken by a newsman the moment the shots rang out in Dealey Plaza. Some have speculated that the figure of this man in the doorway of the TSBD could have been Lee Oswald. It wasn’t. All evidence instead points to this man having been Billy Lovelady, a lookalike co-worker of Oswald’s at the depository.

Calloway, mildly confused by the question and suspecting Spence was laying some sort of trap, nevertheless replied that the image being shown on the courtroom screen was “a likeness of Oswald.”

But it wasn’t and that was just the point. At a distance of 55-60 feet, Ted Calloway could have easily mistaken Billy Lovelady (and a lot of other young, white males) for Lee Oswald. It is exactly this sort of testimony by a witness who is so “100% positive” that has led to innocent persons finding themselves on death row.

I am going to repost the Jack Meyers article from Kennedys and king.com

It is well worth reading, especially for his demolition of Tatum.  Dale M should be ashamed of himself.  But recall, this is Mr. Single Bullet Fact.

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/why-officer-tippit-stopped-his-killer

On 7/17/2022 at 6:34 PM, James DiEugenio said:

From Jack Meyers' Article at Kennedys and King.com:

Spence’s final question for witness Ted Calloway was to ask him if he could identify someone in a particular photo. This was the infamous and controversial “Doorman” photo taken by a newsman the moment the shots rang out in Dealey Plaza. Some have speculated that the figure of this man in the doorway of the TSBD could have been Lee Oswald. It wasn’t. All evidence instead points to this man having been Billy Lovelady, a lookalike co-worker of Oswald’s at the depository.

Calloway, mildly confused by the question and suspecting Spence was laying some sort of trap, nevertheless replied that the image being shown on the courtroom screen was “a likeness of Oswald.”

But it wasn’t and that was just the point. At a distance of 55-60 feet, Ted Calloway could have easily mistaken Billy Lovelady (and a lot of other young, white males) for Lee Oswald. It is exactly this sort of testimony by a witness who is so “100% positive” that has led to innocent persons finding themselves on death row.

Except that it's not just one witness who said the man running with a gun in his hand was Oswald.

Helen Markham

Barbara Davis

Virginia Davis

William Scoggins

Sam Guinyard

Ted Callaway

Harold Russell

Pat Patterson

Warren Reynolds

How many "innocent persons on death row" were positively identified as the culprit by nine witnesses?

Edited by Bill Brown

Now let me ask a question:

In the Warren Report, do they mention the Andrews incident, the Top Ten Record store and the 5 witnesses at the Gloco station?

Can you please show me where they do so?

If they do not, what is their section on the Tippit case worth?

Also, do they mention the fracas at 10th and Marsalis that both Jack M and McBride talk about?

Again, can anyone show me on what pages of the WR this is on?

The combination of these holes in the story, plus the all too eagerness to accept Westbrook, Croy and Hill turn the Tippit inquiry in the WC into something of a sick joke.

In an investigative sense, what value does it have? 

6 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Also, do they mention the fracas at 10th and Marsalis that both Jack M and McBride talk about?

Again, can anyone show me on what pages of the WR this is on?

Jack Meyers hypothesized that the reason Tippit was on Tenth Street was because of the incident on Marsalis.  I asked him how would Tippit have become aware of such a "fracas" since it's not on the police tapes.  All Jack (a nice guy) could do was basically say "I don't know".

That you rely on anything Brownlow says tells me a lot about you.

Edited by Bill Brown

On 7/15/2022 at 11:07 AM, James DiEugenio said:

From William Turner in the November 1966 issue of the late great Ramparts magazine:

Photographer Al Volkland and his wife, both of whom knew Tippit, said that 15 or 20 minutes after the assassination they saw him at a gas station and waved to him.  They observed TIppit sitting in his police car at a Gloco gas station in Oak Cliiff, watching the cars coming out over the Houston Street Viaduct from downtown Dallas. 

Three employees of the Gloco station, Tom Mullins, Emmet Hollingshead and J. B. "Shorty" Lewis, all of whom knew TIppit, confirmed Volklands' story.  They said Tippit stayed at the station for "about ten minutes, somewhere between 12:45 and 1:00, then he went tearing off down Lancaster at high speed"....

Was Tippit waiting for someone, and that person did not arrive? 

But remember, Bill Brown says, "Nothing to see here! We have wrong way Callaway."

FWIW: I am the person who discovered the information about Officer Tippit being at the GLOCO station, when I was employed, as a temporary staff writer, at RAMPARTS magazine, in (appxo) July 1966.   In the interest of keeping the historical record accurate, here are the relevant details.

1. I was located in San Francisco and working at Ramparts during the period July 1966 (and perhaps August).   My job was to work with Ramparts editor David Welsh, and write a detailed account of the medical evidence.  This we did, and our article -- published in the December 1966 issue of RAMPARTS -- was titled "The Case for Three Assassins." It was a a 30,000 word essay on the medical evidence (as it existed at the time).  Our article, with many diagrams and photographs, and was also published in the UCLA Daily Bruin.   

2.  While at Ramparts (again, this was July or August 1966), I learned about Dallas photographer Al Volkland, and interviewed him briefly, via phone.  It was he who told me all about the "Tippit--at- GLOCO station" situation. 

3.  I turned that information over to the late William ("Bill') Turner, who was also employed at Ramparts at the time.  (We worked in little booths, that were close by; the Ramparts officers were located at 301 Broadway, in San Francisco.)  All of this activity took place  under the direction o RAMPARTS publisher Warren Hinckle, and senior editor Stanley Sheinbaum 

4. Turner used the information I had found  in the major RAMPARTS article he wrote, dated November 1966, about the JFK assassination. 

5.  Here is the Internet link to that article; https://www.amazon.com/Ramparts-November-Krassner-Magazine-Ginsberg/dp/B00HWUJQ9M

6.  The cover for that November 1966 issue -- showing a smiling JFK cut up into many puzzle pieces, like a jig saw puzzle --was the idea (and  work of) Ramparts art director, Dugald Sturmer.  

7.  I just checked at Amazon. That issue can be presently bought separately, and sells or about $35.8.

8.  To recap:  Keep in mind: The first information about "Tippit at the Gloco station" was first published in the November 1966 issue of RAMPARTS, based on the research and "investigative reporting" that I did while employed at RAMPARTS the previous July  (i.e. 1966).  If there are corrections needed to the above text, send me an email, and I will make any necessary modifications.

DSL
7/17/22 - 4 PM PDT

PS: Also note; There was nothing about Tippit-at-the-GLOCO station published in the Warren Report (published in late September 1964) because none of this information existed at that time.  Again, it did not exist until July-August 1966, when I discovered it while employed at RAMPARTS.  I immediately shared the information with writer (and ex-FBI agent) William Turner who was also employed at RAMPARTS, at the time). Turner included it in the RAMPARTS cover story that he wrote, and which is dated November 1966.  The specific article that I co-wrote (with Ramparts editor David Welsh, about a month later); was devoted entirely to the medical evidence, and was published in the Ramparts issue dated December 1966.  That writing  (to repeat, "The Case for Thee Assassins") was devoted entirely to the JFK medical evidence, and made no mention of the "Tippit-at-the-Gloco station."

Edited by David Lifton

3 hours ago, Bill Brown said:

Nope.

They said they saw a man get in the Rambler.  They did not say it was Oswald.

Randolph Carr and Helen Forrest

Edited by Paul Cummings