The Education Forum

No one asks this question of Paine or Marina

Why did Ruth Paine and Marina not go down to watch the motorcade?   Certainly if her husband worked right on the route, why not go down and let everyone see the motorcade and meet  Lee during lunch?  Did RP not read the paper and notice the motorcade route?  Why was RP not interested in going down to see it?  Such a huge event and you don’t go?  No one finds this odd?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Cory.

Never seen it before.

15 minutes ago, Cory Santos said:

Why did Ruth Paine and Marina not go down to watch the motorcade?   Certainly if her husband worked right on the route, why not go down and let everyone see the motorcade and meet  Lee during lunch?  Did RP not read the paper and notice the motorcade route?  Why was RP not interested in going down to see it?  Such a huge event and you don’t go?  No one finds this odd?

Were they asked? I don't know. For her part, Marina wasn't about to do anything like that unless someone took her. She had no money and no transportation. As far as Ruth not going, everyone in the city of Dallas was not there. And as has been pointed out, the children probably entered into it.

2 minutes ago, W. Tracy Parnell said:

Were they asked? I don't know. For her part, Marina wasn't about to do anything like that unless someone took her. She had no money and no transportation. As far as Ruth not going, everyone in the city of Dallas was not there. And as has been pointed out, the children probably entered into it.

Again why did RP not go and did she not realize the route went by Lee’s work?  

Did Marina not want to go and bring her children as others did, especially when they could have had lunch with Lee?

As a trial lawyer, this would have been one of my questions to them.     

Cory Santos said:

Why did Ruth Paine and Marina not go down to watch the motorcade?

18 minutes ago, John Deignan said:

Probably because of the children. One being a newborn. 

And two other factors as well....

1.) Ruth Paine had to take her daughter to the dentist on the morning of November 22nd. Such a task probably would have ruled out a visit downtown to see the motorcade. Granted, a dental appointment is certainly something that could have easily been re-scheduled for another day (because I don't think it was an "emergency" dental visit).

From Ruth's WC testimony:

Mrs. PAINE -- "I fixed breakfast for myself and my children, turned on the television set to hear President Kennedy speak in Fort Worth, and had breakfast there. I left the house about 9 with my little girl and boy, because she had a dentist appointment, the little girl. I left the television set on, feeling that Marina might not think to turn it on, but I knew that she would be interested to see President Kennedy. I then was gone until nearly noon, 11:30 or so, both to the dentist and on some errands following that..."

2.) Ruth Paine testified that she thought Lee probably worked at the OTHER Depository building (the warehouse on Houston St.). CTers think she was lying (of course). But, of course, I think otherwise. Therefore, the building that Ruth (and probably Marina too) associated with Lee's workplace would not have been along the motorcade route.

ALBERT JENNER -- "I heard you mention the Texas School Depository warehouse. Did you think the warehouse was at 411 Elm?"

RUTH PAINE -- "No. I had seen a sign on a building as I went along one of the limited access highways that leads into Dallas, saying "Texas School Book Depository Warehouse" and there was the only building that had registered on my consciousness as being Texas School Book Depository. I was not aware, hadn't taken in the idea of there being two buildings and that there was one on Elm, though, I copied the address from the telephone book, and could well have made that notation in my mind but I didn't. The first I realized that there was a building on Elm was when I heard on the television on the morning of the 22nd of November that a shot had been fired from such a building."

Edited by David Von Pein

Ruth said a few times she had a dental appointment I believe ?  Don't know if someone checked that, it is mentioned in some interviews If I remember correct.

E.g. here in this vid. at 26.32 ,  

3 hours ago, Cory Santos said:

Another (related) thought that just came to me....

I've often heard the very same question asked when talking about Jack Ruby too. Many people ask: Why didn't Ruby, who was a big Kennedy fan and supporter (not to mention a person who always liked to be "where the action is"), have any desire whatsoever to go downtown to see at least a portion of the Dallas motorcade on 11/22?

It's certainly not a bad question at all. And it's not a bad question as it pertains to Ruth and Marina too. Cory Santos, in fact, in this thread today, is the very first person that I am aware of who has ever asked that question (as it pertains to Ruth & Marina).

Maybe somebody can ask Ruth directly about this. (Does Max Good still have her ear?)

EDIT --- I certainly don't think that there's anything of a "conspiratorial" nature that can be made of the fact that Ruth and Marina (and Ruby too) didn't go downtown to watch the motorcade. But it's an interesting question to ask them nonetheless.

Edited by David Von Pein

So RP testimony confirms: 1- she had interest in the presidential visit. 2-Marina had interest in the visit.   3- she had a very convenient alibi with a dentist appointment. 
So, why would she schedule a dentist appointment on the day of the visit.   Such a historical event certainly one would think a drive downtown to see the president would be a better use of ones time than an appointment that could be performed anytime.   

However, why would this question not be asked?

If Marina or RP might say LHO told them not to come down that certainly looks suspicious of LHO.   Alternatively what if he said please come down?  Whoops, that would creat a motive problem.  

37 minutes ago, Cory Santos said:

So RP testimony confirms: 1- she had interest in the presidential visit. 2-Marina had interest in the visit. 3- she had a very convenient alibi with a dentist appointment. So, why would she schedule a dentist appointment on the day of the visit? Such a historical event certainly one would think a drive downtown to see the president would be a better use of one's time than an appointment that could be performed anytime. However, why would this question not be asked? If Marina or RP might say LHO told them not to come down, that certainly looks suspicious of LHO. Alternatively, what if he said please come down? Whoops, that would create a motive problem.

But, Cory, to repeat....

Neither Ruth nor Marina were aware that Lee worked along the route of the motorcade....

Ruth Paine testified that she thought Lee probably worked at the OTHER Depository building (the warehouse on Houston St.). Therefore, the building that Ruth (and probably Marina too) associated with Lee's workplace would not have been along the motorcade route.

ALBERT JENNER -- "I heard you mention the Texas School Depository warehouse. Did you think the warehouse was at 411 Elm?"

RUTH PAINE -- "No. I had seen a sign on a building as I went along one of the limited access highways that leads into Dallas, saying "Texas School Book Depository Warehouse" and there was the only building that had registered on my consciousness as being Texas School Book Depository. I was not aware, hadn't taken in the idea of there being two buildings and that there was one on Elm, though, I copied the address from the telephone book, and could well have made that notation in my mind but I didn't. The first I realized that there was a building on Elm was when I heard on the television on the morning of the 22nd of November that a shot had been fired from such a building."

----------------

Now, sure, the fact that neither Ruth nor Marina knew that the TSBD building that Lee worked in was, indeed, on the exact motorcade route doesn't have to automatically mean that they would have no interest at all in going somewhere downtown to watch Kennedy in the parade. But that testimony I cited above certainly must be considered and taken into account (at least with respect to the ladies meeting up with Lee and having lunch together, etc.). And then when we add the "dental appointment" into the equation, that combination of things probably answers your question of why Ruth and Marina didn't go downtown on 11/22/63.

Edited by David Von Pein