The Education Forum

Has anyone ever considered ?

Having read Howard Brennan's first day deposition, I believe he reported a man in this window.  6th floor, east, Dal-Tex.  He described a man in the RED BRICK building.  If you check, this window has an unobstructed view all the way to the triple underpass.  That window is the next to the top on the right side of the Dal-Tex.  It is basically at the same level as the supposed sniper's nest, but is in a location well behind where anyone would have been looking.  It had absolutely nothing obscuring the Presidential limo all the way down Elm St.  The building directly south (across the street) is where the man or men locked in the jail said they say a man with a rifle.  That building is only shown in your first picture on the extreme left side.  These men's stories were discounted because it would have been difficult to see down to the TSBD where the official sniper sat.  They were on the 5th floor directly across the street and one floor lower from the man Brennan saw from his perch on the wall at the corner across from the TSBD.  There would have been no issue with them seeing the real shooter, but they were easily dismissed because they were incarcerated and nobody EXCEPT Brennan who quickly toed the line out of fear for his family saw the man.  Brennan even said the man was making no attempt to hide or avoid anyone seeing him.  This is because he was in the perfect place, well behind the target.  Virtually all eyes were looking at ground level and westward, southward or northward to follow the motorcade.  Once the limo turned left, no one had any reason to be looking eastward and absolutely no reason to look upward.  Brennan had seen the man before the parade got the the Elm St. turn and then heard the sound of gunfire (possibly saw smoke), that is the only reason he looked up.  The men in the jail, trying to look westward would have inherently seen the man if any kind of commotion (smoke/gunshot) occurred.

6 hours ago, John Deignan said:

I always wondered if the was a clear line of sight from the Purse building. I also found it curious that an officer calls for units to go to the Purse building. I can’t remember if I read it in the transcripts or heard the radio call. Looking for it now. 

John,

At 12:49, Captain Cecil Talbert said that he was at the old Purse Company Building on the east side of Houston.

https://www.jfk-assassination.net/dpdtapes/

15 (Capt. C.E. Talbert)

15 is at the scene. We -- the building's the old Purse Company on the east side of Houston. Somebody cut off the back side, will you? Make sure nobody leaves there.

Six minutes earlier, at 12:43, on Channel 2 of the Dispatch Tapes, he was recommending to the Dispatcher, that the search area be extended out one or two. blocks from the area of Elm and Houston.

Steve Thomas

In Oswald's ( or whoever's ) brilliant planning he chose to do JFK from a stand alone building "smack dab" in the middle of Dealey Plaza through an extremely visible open window, directly facing and just 75 feet up from a crowd of hundreds of super attentive bystanders right beneath him and illuminated as brightly as if he had 10 big movie premier lights on it by the full mid-day sun?

He then sticks his rifle barrel "outside" of the ridiculously visible open window and begins to unload three shots so booming loud they are heard as far away as Main Street and that immediately draw the attention of hundreds below including even the SS who turn toward them after the first shot?

Really?

In my opinion, Lee Oswald was not that dumb.

Oswald had enough planning forethought and common sense to take a shot at General Walker under cover of darkness and trees and on the ground at a time when there would be few people if any outside in the area. And running away after missing with just one shot was sensible as more shots would have drawn more attention. 

However, in contrast, the broad daylight illuminated and exposed TXSBD 6th floor open window JFK shooting location combined with three rifle barrel thrusting booming loud shots from it and drawing immediate attention from hundreds of bystanders below was so logistically nonsensical it was literally a suicidal mission.

As was an escape plan that simply called for running down 5 lower floors of a building that was immediately targeted and entered for searching.

If part of a multiple shooter plan was to divert attention to one "patsy" shooter's location the team couldn't have done a better job than they did with the brightest mid-day sun illuminated TXSBD 6th floor open window and the plaza shaking BOOM...BOOM...BOOM sounds emanating from it.

They might as well have hung a 30 foot wide -10 foot high sign just below the window that said in big bold black letters ... "HERE I AM COPPERS ... COME AND GET ME!"

Edited by Joe Bauer

Joe, I've read a lot about Oswald's alleged shooting at Walker, but I admit that I'm on the fence.  You seem to say that you do believe that LHO fired the shot.  If so, could you please share with me what may have "put you over top"? Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Ron Ege said:

Joe, I've read a lot about Oswald's alleged shooting at Walker, but I admit that I'm on the fence.  You seem to say that you do believe that LHO fired the shot.  If so, could you please share with me what may have "put you over top"? Thanks!

I guess one could say they are "on the fence" with every aspect of the JFK/Lee Harvey Oswald assassinations as well as the hundreds of other peripheral side stories connected to them and the many characters involved.

No one can say that they know the absolute truth of anything to do with it all with 100% certainty.

However, I don't think anyone here motivated enough to stay connected to the forum wants to never assume a firm belief stance on at least a few of the main questions now and then.

Regards the Walker shooting story I have decided to believe enough of Marina Oswald's testimony to the WC and later the HSCA where she describes what she knew about Lee's involvement including his own words and her claim that he had a map and photos of the Walker home. 

I don't believe she made this up. Too many details that she would have mixed up in her 100 times being interrogated or questioned about the story.

There is very little ( practically none ) eye and ear witness accounts of the shooting itself. Yet, I have decided to believe that of the young man who lived next door to the shooting area and ran out and looked over a fence and reported what he saw.

The Jeanie and George DeMohrenschildts's testimony about seeing Lee's rifle and George's reported off handed comment to Lee "how could you miss."??? inferring his guess that Lee Oswald took a shot at Walker also add to my belief that Oswald did shoot at Walker.

We can all decide our own belief parameters regards any aspect of the JFK event. Of course, we will always have different views of such. 

I've decided that I believe Oswald did take a shot at Walker.

57 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

In Oswald's ( or whoever's ) brilliant planning he chose to do JFK from a stand alone building "smack dab" in the middle of Dealey Plaza through an extremely visible open window, directly facing and just 75 feet up from a crowd of hundreds of super attentive bystanders right beneath him and illuminated as brightly as if he had 10 big movie premier lights on it by the full mid-day sun?

He then sticks his rifle barrel "outside" of the ridiculously visible open window and begins to unload three shots so booming loud they are heard as far away as Main Street and that immediately draw the attention of hundreds below including even the SS who turn toward them after the first shot?

As pointed out by Pat, there was a stack of boxes directly behind the window in the snipers nest that was removed by the DPD for their reconstruction. The only way a shooter could have fit in the original arrangement is way off to the East side of the window behind the pipes, which actually makes sense for someone shooting down Elm St. 

However, it would have been extremely difficult if not impossible for anyone on the street to have seen someone in that position in the window unless they were off to the West over by the Pergola. By removing the stack the DPD gave Oswald more room and made Howard Brennan more believable.