The Education Forum

Would The Answer To This Question Blow Oswald's New Orleans Story Out Of The Water?

Joe Bauer

Sworn oath testimony by Dean Andrews to the Warren Commission:

Mr. LIEBELER - When you talked to Oswald on the street that day, did he give you any idea who was paying him to hand this stuff out?
Mr. ANDREWS - No; he just said, "It's a job."

Lee Harvey Oswald owed New Orleans attorney Dean Andrews money for legal work that he never paid.

Andrews told the Warren Commission that he happened to walk by pro-Castro leaflet passing Oswald in broad daylight on a busy N.O. downtown street corner.

Andrews said he asked Oswald what the heck he was doing handing out these flyers and Oswald responded with these 3 words..."it's a job."

It's a job?

Well if it's a job man how about coming down to pay me when you get paid? ( my words )

If Oswald made up this activity question explanation spontaneously on the spot and it wasn't true ... it doesn't make sense that he would tell an upset debt owed collector that he was getting paid to do what he was doing.

Opening the door for the collector to know that this dead beat debtor would soon have some cash on hand to enable him to pay him.

If Oswald was being paid to do his leaflet passing, knowing who was paying him would answer all the major questions left blowing in the wind regards the true story behind Oswald's downtown pro-Castro shenanigans.

Was his employer Guy Bannister? The local FBI? 

"it's a job."

I just don't see even perjury convicted Dean Andrews making up such an off-the-wall under oath claim like that to the Warren Commission.

If proven false, it would just make Andrews out to be even more perjury prone than he already was and ruin his reputation even more than it was.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Mr. LIEBELER - What did Oswald say to you about his own citizenship status? You say that he mentioned that the second time he came back. What did he talk to you about in that regard?
Mr. ANDREWS - They came in usually after hours, about 5, 5:15, and as I recall, he had alleged that he had abandoned his citizenship. He didn't say how; he didn't say where. I assumed that he was one of the people who wanted to join The Free World and--I represented one or two of them. They had belonged to The World Citizenship--I explained to him there are certain steps he had to do, such as taking an oath of loyalty to a foreign power, voting in a foreign country election, or some method that is recognized defectively as loss of citizenship. Then I told him, "Your presence in the United States is proof you are a citizen. Otherwise, you would be an alien with an alien registration with a green card, form 990."
Mr. LIEBELER - Had he told you he had been out of the country?
Mr. ANDREWS - Yes.
Mr. LIEBELER - Did he tell you where he had gone?
Mr. ANDREWS - No.
Mr. LIEBELER - Since he had been out of the country, the fact that he was back and didn't have an alien card was proof he was a citizen?
Mr. ANDREWS - Yes.
Mr. LIEBELER - Do you remember any other part of the conversation?
Mr. ANDREWS - When he asked the questions--I don't know which visit it was--about citizenship of his wife, I asked the birthplace or origin cited for citizenship purposes--that's what counts--and he said Russia, so I just assumed he had met someone somewhere, some place, either in Russia or in Europe, married them, and brought them over here as a GI, a GI bride, and wanted to go through the routine of naturalization, which is 3 years after lawful admission into the United States if you are married, and five years if you are not, maintain the status here in the States cumulatively for 5 years.
Mr. LIEBELER - Did he indicate that he wanted to institute citizenship proceedings for his wife?
Mr. ANDREWS - Yes; I told him to go to Immigration and get the forms. Cost him $10. All he had to do was execute them. He didn't need a lawyer. That was the end of that.
Mr. LIEBELER - How many times did he come into your office?
Mr. ANDREWS - Minimum of three, maximum of five, counting initial visit.
Mr. LIEBELER - And did you talk about different subjects at different times? As I understand it, the first time he came there, he was primarily concerned about his discharge, is that correct'?
Mr. ANDREWS - Well, I may have the subject matter of the visits reversed because with the company he kept and the conversation--he could talk fairly well--I figured that this was another one of what we call in my office free alley clients, so we didn't maintain the normalcy with the file that---might have scratched a few notes on a piece of pad, and 2 days later threw the whole thing away. Didn't pay too much attention to him. Only time I really paid attention to this boy, he was in the front of the Maison Blanche Building giving out these kooky Castro things.
Mr. LIEBELER - When was this, approximately?
Mr. ANDREWS - I don't remember. I was coming from the NBC building, and I walked past him. You know how you see somebody, recognize him. So I turned around, came back, and asked him what he was doing giving that junk out. He said it was a job. I reminded him of the $25 he owed the office. said he would come over there, but he never did.
Mr. LIEBELER - Did he tell you that he was getting paid to hand out this literature?
Mr. ANDREWS - Yes.
Mr. LIEBELER - Did he tell you how much?
Mr. ANDREWS - No.
Mr. LIEBELER - Do you remember telling the FBI that he told you that he was being paid $25 a day for handing out these leaflets?
Mr. ANDREWS - I could have told them that. I know I reminded him of the $25. I may have it confused, the $25. What I do recall, he said it was a job. I guess I asked him how much he was making. They were little square chits a little bit smaller than the picture you have of him over there [indicating].

Mr. LIEBELER - He was handing out these leaflets?
Mr. ANDREWS - They were black-and-white pamphlets extolling the virtues of Castro, which around here doesn't do too good. They have a lot of guys, Mexicanos and Cubanos, that will tear your head off if they see you fooling with these things.
Mr. LIEBELER - What were they like?
Mr. ANDREWS - They were pamphlets, single-sheet pamphlets.
Mr. LIEBELER - Just one sheet? It wasn't a booklet?
Mr. ANDREWS - No.
Mr. LIEBELER - What color were the pamphlets? You say it was white paper?
Mr. ANDREWS - White paper offset with black
Mr. LIEBELER - Could it have been yellow paper?
Mr. ANDREWS - I am totally colorblind. I wouldn't know. But I think it is black and white.
Mr. LIEBELER - You are colorblind?
Mr. ANDREWS - Yes. Most of them wanted it around there. You give it to them, the people look at it and they drop it, right now.
Mr. LIEBELER - Do you remember what day of the week this was that you saw him handing this stuff out?
Mr. ANDREWS - It was in the middle of the week, around Tuesday or Wednesday.
Mr. LIEBELER - Where is the Maison Blanche Building? What street is it on?
Mr. ANDREWS - 921 Canal Street. It is on this side. It is bounded by Dauphine and Burgundy.
Mr. LIEBELER - How far is it from the International Trade Mart?
Mr. ANDREWS - It depends on what route you take. If you come up Camp Street, it would be two blocks to Canal and four blocks toward the cemetery; so it would be about six blocks. It would be six blocks no matter which way you went, but you would walk four blocks on Common Street or Gravier, and then two blocks over the other way.
Mr. LIEBELER - [handing picture to witness]. I show you a picture that has been marked as "Garner Exhibit No. 1," and ask you if you recognize the individual in that picture and the street scene, if you are familiar with it.
Mr. ANDREWS - This is Oswald.
Mr. LIEBELER - That's the fellow who was in your office?
Mr. ANDREWS - Yes.
Mr. LIEBELER - Do you have any doubt about that in your mind?
Mr. ANDREWS - I don't believe; no. This is him. I just can't place it. This isn't where I saw him.
This is probably around the vicinity of the International Trade Mart.

Mr. Liebeler. [handing picture to witness].I show you another picture that has been marked for identification as "Bringuier Exhibit No. 1," and ask you if you recognize anybody in that picture and the street scene.
Mr. ANDREWS - Oswald is marked with an X, and a client of mine is over here on the right-hand side.
Mr. LIEBELER - Is that a a paying client or what?
Mr. ANDREWS - No; paying client [indicating]. And this dress belongs to a girl friend.
Mr. LIEBELER - Which one is your client?
Mr. ANDREWS - It should be three. There's two sisters and this young lady [indicating].
Mr. LIEBELER - What's her name?
Mr. ANDREWS - I don't remember.
Mr. LIEBELER - You are referring to the woman that appears on the far right-hand side of the picture with a handbag on her arm?
Mr. ANDREWS - Yes.
Mr. LIEBELER - Now you say Oswald is marked with an X, and you identify that as the man that you saw in your office and the same man you saw passing out pamphlets?
Mr. ANDREWS - Yes.
Mr. LIEBELER - I call your attention specifically to the second man who is standing behind Oswald to his right and facing toward the front wearing a white, short-sleeved shirt and necktie, who also appears to have some leaflets in his hand. Have you ever seen that man before?
Mr. ANDREWS - The Mexicano that I associate Oswald with is approximately the same height, with the exception that he has a pronounced short butch hair-cut. He is stocky, well built.
Mr. LIEBELER - The fellow that I have indicated to you on "Bringuier Exhibit No. 1" is too slightly built to be associated with Oswald; is that correct?
Mr. ANDREWS - He is stocky. Has what they call an athletic build.
Mr. LIEBELER - Was this other fellow roller than Oswald or shorter than Oswald?
Mr. ANDREWS - Very close. Not taller. Probably same height; maybe a little smaller.
Mr. LIEBELER - How much would you say the Mexican weighed, approximately?
Mr. ANDREWS - About 160, 165.
Mr. LIEBELER - You say he was of medium build or heavy build?
Mr. ANDREWS - Well, stocky. He could go to "Fist City" pretty good if he had to.
Mr. LIEBELER - How old would you say he was?
Mr. ANDREWS - About 26. Hard to tell.
Mr. LIEBELER - Do you remember what he was wearing when he came into the office with Oswald on these different occasions?
Mr. ANDREWS - Normally, different colored silk pongee shirts, which are pretty rare, you know, for the heat or what appeared to be pongee material.
Mr. LIEBELER - Did you ever talk to this other fellow?
Mr. ANDREWS - Well, he talked Spanish, and all I told him was poco poco. That was it.
Mr. LIEBELER - Do you speak Spanish?
Mr. ANDREWS - I can understand a little. I can if you speak it. I can read it. That's about all.
Mr. Liebeler [handing picture to witness]. I show you a picture which has been marked "Frank Pizzo Exhibit No. 453-C," and ask you if that is the same man that was in your office and the same man you say was passing out literature in the street.
Mr. ANDREWS - It appears to be.
Mr. LIEBELER - Would you recognize this Mexican again if you saw him?
Mr. ANDREWS - Yes.
Mr. LIEBELER - Do you remember telling the FBI that you wouldn't be able to recognize him again if you saw him?
Mr. ANDREWS - Probably did. Been a long time. There's three people I am going to find: One of them is the real guy that killed the President; the Mexican; and Clay Bertrand.
Mr. LIEBELER - Do you mean to suggest by that statement that you have considerable doubt in your mind that Oswald killed the President?
Mr. ANDREWS - I know good and well he did not. With that weapon, he couldn't have been capable of making three controlled shots in that short time.
Mr. LIEBELER - You are basing your opinion on reports that you have received over news media as to how many shots were fired in what period of time; is that correct?
Mr. ANDREWS - I am basing my opinion on five years as an ordnanceman in the Navy. You can lean into those things, and with throwing the bolts--if I couldn't do it myself, 8 hours a day, doing this for a living, constantly on the range, I know this civilian couldn't do it. He might have been a sharp marksman at one time, but if you don't lean into that rifle and don't squeeze and. control consistently, your brain can tell you how to do it, but you don't have the capability.
Mr. LIEBELER - You have used a pronoun in this last series of statements, the pronoun "it." You are making certain assumptions as to what actually happened, or you have a certain notion in your mind as to what happened based on material you read in the newspaper?
Mr. ANDREWS - It doesn't make any difference. What you have to do is lean into a weapon, and, to fire three shots controlled with accuracy, this bey couldn't do it. Forget the President.
Mr. LIEBELER - You base that judgment on the fact that, in your own experience, it is difficult to do that sort of thing?
Mr. ANDREWS - You have to stay with it. You just don't pick up a rifle or a pistol or whatever weapon you are using and stay proficient with it. You have to know what you are doing. You have to be a conniver. This boy could have connived the deal, but I think he is a patsy. Somebody else pulled the trigger.
Mr. LIEBELER - However, as we have indicated, it is your opinion. You don't have any evidence other than what you have already told us about your surmise and opinions about the rifle on which to base that statement; is that correct? If you do, I want to know what it is.
Mr. ANDREWS - If I did, I would give it to you. It's just taking the 5 years and thinking about it a bit. I have fired as much as 40,000 rounds of ammo a day for 7 days a week. You get pretty good with it as long as you keep firing. Then I have gone back after 2 weeks. I used to be able to take a shotgun, go on a skeet, and pop 100 out of 100. After 2 weeks, I could only pop 60 of them. I would have to start shooting again, same way with the rifle and machineguns. Every other person I knew, same thing happened to them. You just have to stay at it.
Mr. LIEBELER - Now, did you see Oswald at any time subsequent to that time you saw him in the street handing out literature?
Mr. ANDREWS - I have never seen him since.
Mr. LIEBELER - Can you tell us what month that was, approximately?
Mr. ANDREWS - Summertime. Before July. I think the last time would be around--the last could have been, I guess, around the 10th of July.
Mr. LIEBELER - Around the 10th of July?
Mr. ANDREWS - I don't believe it was after that. It could have been before, but not after.
Mr. LIEBELER - Now, you mentioned this Mexican that accompanied Oswald to your office. Have you seen him at any time subsequent to the last time Oswald came into your office?
Mr. ANDREWS - No.
Mr. LIEBELER - Can you tell us approximately how long a period of time elapsed from the last time Oswald came into your office to the last time you saw him in the street handing out literature?
Mr. ANDREWS - I would say about 6 weeks, just guessing.
Mr. LIEBELER - And you have never seen the Mexican at any other time since then?
Mr. ANDREWS - No. He just couldn't have disappeared because the Mexican community here is pretty small. You can squeeze it pretty good, the Latin community. He is not known around here.
Mr. LIEBELER - Have you made an attempt to find him since the assassination?
Mr. ANDREWS - Yes.
Mr. LIEBELER - And you haven't had any success?
Mr. ANDREWS - No. Not too many places they can go not being noticed.
Mr. LIEBELER - Was there anybody else with Oswald that day you saw him handing out literature?
Mr. ANDREWS - Oh, people standing there with him. Whether they were with him or not, I wouldn't know.
Mr. LIEBELER - Did it appear that there was anybody else helping him hand out literature?
Mr. ANDREWS - There was one person, but they had no literature. They weren't giving anything out. Let me see that picture of that little bitty guy, that weasel before.
Mr. LIEBELER - [handing picture to witness]. This is Bringuier Exhibit No. 1.
Mr. ANDREWS - No; he resembled this boy, but it is not him. It is a pale face instead of a Latin.
Mr. LIEBELER - When you talked to Oswald on the street that day, did he give you any idea who was paying him to hand this stuff out?
Mr. ANDREWS - No; he just said, "It's a job."
Mr. LIEBELER - My understanding is, of course, that you are here under subpena and subpena duces tecum, asking you to bring with you any records that you might have in your office indicating or reflecting Oswald's visit, and my understanding is that you indicated that you were unable to find any such records.
Mr. ANDREWS - Right. My office was rifled shortly after I got out of the hospital, and I talked with the FBI people. We couldn't find anything prior to it. Whoever was kind enough to mess my office up, going through it, we haven't found anything since.

I had not seen this before, and I agree - the question and the answer are suggestive of the idea that Oswald’s FPCC work was assigned to him. 
Is the Mexican ever identified? 

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

I had not seen this before, and I agree - the question and the answer are suggestive of the idea that Oswald’s FPCC work was assigned to him. 
Is the Mexican ever identified? 

No the Mexican was never identified. Could it have been "El Indio" himself?

Andrews said the Mexican was well built, and could go to "fist city" if he had to.

Yet, he never spoke.

But he was with Oswald all of his 5 visits to Andrews?

If what Andrews relates is true...Oswald certainly was "working with others" in his New Orleans affairs. Strange and suspicious characters.

5 visits to Dean Andrew's office accompanied by the same never speaking english Mexican?  No Warren Commision digging into that illogical pairing conundrum?

What reason in the world would explain Oswald being accompanied by this same Mexican man as often as Andrews described?

A man who was ALSO with Oswald when Oswald was passing out his pro-Castro flyers near the Trade Mart according to Andrew's ID of him after looking at court room presented pictures of Oswald doing this?

It is "so obvious" Oswald was working covertly with nefarious others in New Orleans.

The answer to the Oswald New Orleans double life puzzle has always lied there...imo.

Also, we know at least one of the men milling around Oswald when he was passing out his pro-Castro flyers was helping do this as well.

He wasn't doing this for free. Somebody paid Oswald so Oswald could pay this helper.

Unemployed Oswald surely didn't have such extra funds as he could barely pay the rent on his apartments. And unemployment paid less than minimum wage.

So easy to see somebody was financing Oswald's New Orleans political street activities.

Edited by Joe Bauer

4 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Was the Mexican Mexican, or just said he was Mexican and was really Cubano? 

No way of knowing for sure.

However, one could give at least some weight to life-time New Orleans resident attorney Dean Andrews being actively meeting with hundreds if not thousands of Cubans and Mexicans for years in his extremely public contact work.

New Orleans was filled with different ethnic peoples for decades, being a port of entry for so many foreign nationals, especially from Latin American countries with more Cubans and Mexicans versus other countries.

It could be possible that one with that much personal contact and engagement experience could learn to identify physical and verbal cues to know the difference between a Cuban and a Mexican.