The Education Forum

WFAA-TV Cameraman Tom Alyea describes scene at TSBD shortly after assassination

I'll take a quick look.

Tony was kind enough to pick a dark scene where the rifle is being rotated lol.

Anyway I got this screen grab at the 2:09 mark. I rotated the image. You're actually seeing the top of the rifle. Two things that can identify it as the Carcano are:

1.  The shape of the cartridge well, indicated by the yellow arrow. You can see the shape in the shadow in the top image. When compared to similar rifles, you can see the cartridge well shape matches that of the Carcano.

2. The weird placement of the scope, offset to the left. I mean, who does that?

Image3.thumb.jpg.218f92f9190a8b526552921fa7877d85.jpg

As Denis points out, if there is any hard evidence of another rifle, please show us!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Denis Morissette said:

I'll look at it if I have time. If anyone determines the rifle, let us know! If it turned out to be a Mauser, then we have a huge problem.

Did you ask, or was there anything from Day regarding where he initialed the rifle? I know he changed his mind about the shells in the SN. He told Belin that he marked them onsite, but his story changed to later that evening back at Headquarters.

1 hour ago, Henry Frost said:

Anyway I got this screen grab at the 2:09 mark

That would be from the 2nd segment of film. Look at the first segment from where Day leans down to where he hands the rifle to Fritz. At that point the segment ends, and a new piece of film begins with what you are looking at. So pre-splice.

1 hour ago, Tony Krome said:

That would be from the 2nd segment of film. Look at the first segment from where Day leans down to where he hands the rifle to Fritz. At that point the segment ends, and a new piece of film begins with what you are looking at. So pre-splice.

Oh, so now your asking me to see through Day as he hands it to Fritz? I love a challenge.

Day picks up the rifle by the sling and hands it to Fritz who also grabs the sling.

I found three points of congruence with CE 139, indicated by yellow lines.

1. The sling attachment.
2. A notch in the stock.
3. The scope.

rifle.jpg.ee7444bb8ab8550ee60deaf6d97c129b.jpg

Can you prove it's not the Carcano?

46 minutes ago, Henry Frost said:

Can you prove it's not the Carcano?

The quality of the footage in that youtube clip does not allow for positively matching that rifle to any rifle. I'm hoping someone has something closer to the first generation film to show. It appears to me that the 2nd segment of film is of a higher quality than the first, which is particularly bad.

4 hours ago, David Von Pein said:

Here is J.C. Day's name as it appears on the butt end of Oswald's Carcano....

JC-Day-Mark-On-C2766-Carcano-Rifle.jpg

Never saw that one. I did not ask Day anything other than how many rifles and what types they were. He said Carcanno. He would remember finding a second rifle, unless you're going to claim he is part of the conspiracy.

btw…..carcano sights offset to the left due to the bolt action impeding it if it was centrally fixed, the ‘thing’ below the barrel is a barrel cleaning rod for…err…cleaning the barrel.

3 hours ago, Denis Morissette said:

The first four are all Mausers. They have that V-shape whereas Carcanno don't. The one laying on the floor does not have that V-shape.

Denis, the rifle "confusion" has always interested me.  I see three anomalies (to me at least) in your posted photos (with the linking red lines).  First, the rifle is pictured from the right side (bolt side).  I do not see the front and rear sling mounts on the upper (labeled JFK).  From the way Day is carrying it in the lower picture, they should be evident.  Second, in an earlier post (above from Henry Frost), showing the CE 139/FBI 14 tag, the sling is shown on the left side of the rifle.  Third, the scope on the rifle (at bottom being carried by JC Day) seems to show a round adjustment screw on the right side under the top adjustment.  Am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, Richard Price said:

I see three anomalies (to me at least) in your posted photos (with the linking red lines).

Make that four anomalies.  Would a right handed shooter not have the sling mounted on the left?  I know nothing about guns, but seem to recall in some of the movies or possibly documentaries showing "snipers" , they would wrap the sling around their left arm for support while aiming.