The Education Forum

JFK Secret Service stars (the uniformed division used BADGES; the agents in suits used STARS)

4 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

So when Officer Joe Smith said an alleged Secret Service agent showed him his "badge", technically this might not be a Secret Service agent as Secret Service agents carried "Stars". 

I think it is just semantics. Note that Blaine (from his book) called the star his badge.

17 minutes ago, Vince Palamara said:

I think it is just semantics. Note that Blaine (from his book) called the star his badge.

I think your right.

Do you know if the star came in a leather pouch with an ID card inside which would have the agent's name and photo? This is the layout of some law enforcement badges.

The gold star on its own seems a bit bare if an agent was to take that out of his pocket to show someone. There would be no way to know if the person had simply stole or found a real secret service agents star/badge and was now using it to pretend to be a secret service agent himself.

On 11/27/2022 at 7:54 PM, Gerry Down said:

I think your right.

Do you know if the star came in a leather pouch with an ID card inside which would have the agent's name and photo? This is the layout of some law enforcement badges.

The gold star on its own seems a bit bare if an agent was to take that out of his pocket to show someone. There would be no way to know if the person had simply stole or found a real secret service agents star/badge and was now using it to pretend to be a secret service agent himself.

Correct- a simple card with the agent's name and photo augmented the star.

On 11/29/2022 at 8:47 PM, Gerry Down said:

So the two were separate. An agent could hold the badge/star in one hand and have the ID card in the other hand?

No-they would be part of the same item: black leather mini-wallet--- star on one side, id card on the other.