The Education Forum

Who removed the FBI and CIA's "Flash" on Oswald?

Bob Ness

Although the CIA's stand down on Oswald technically wasn't removing a "flash" in their parlance, it seems to me naming the originators of those orders by both agencies could be fruitful.

Anyone have theories on that?

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

There is a name, maybe Marvin Gheesling? But orders must have come from somewhere. 

Yeah. I think that was the FBI guy. Seems to me there should be some chain of command in both the CIA and FBI that could produce a list of names that would narrow possible conspiracy candidates in those two groups to a small number. I've looked for org charts but have yet to find them. I think it's quite possible they exist.

Just a path I think could be interesting...

This has been lightly discussed in another thread or two a little while back.  I remember the name Gheesling and it seems like maybe one other (?).

The other point was about Angleton having compromising pictures of Hoover and Tolson.  Which he displayed to someone at a party.  Thus, implying Hoover would have done whatever Angleton said rather than be outed in the 60's as gay.

I'm pretty sure the name of the guy at the party was mentioned but don't remember it at the moment either. 

3 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

This has been lightly discussed in another thread or two a little while back.  I remember the name Gheesling and it seems like maybe one other (?).

The other point was about Angleton having compromising pictures of Hoover and Tolson.  Which he displayed to someone at a party.  Thus, implying Hoover would have done whatever Angleton said rather than be outed in the 60's as gay.

I'm pretty sure the name of the guy at the party was mentioned but don't remember it at the moment either. 

I think the idea is if a person could eat their way up the food chain so to speak, the names of those who were responsible for those two actions could shed light on possible conspiracy candidates. I could say ultimately Hoover or Angleton or McCone were the responsible parties but if that's the case why not just go all the way to JFK?

I want to know who signed the order or called Gheesling etc to stand down those warnings in advance of the Presidential trip which they knew was planned. Who were the minions passing the paper along? Gheesling signed the FBI removal of the Flash. How could either agency do that a few weeks before the President was going to drive by his workplace if he was not only a known, but well-known threat? Gheesling's name is on it but was it just him or was he acting on orders from directly above him? It looks like the Gheesling memo is only partially redacted. Maybe more information is in that?

It would be interesting to know what effect the cancelation had on SS advance plans for the motorcade. Maybe someone else has already taken this up but I guess that's why I'm posting it.